1st Trimester
Options

Emotional breakdown affecting baby?

Me and my mom got in a heated argument and I got angry and upset. Cried a lot. Now I’m scared the stress might hurt my baby. I’m 10wks 6dys and FTM. Is this something I should worry about? 

Re: Emotional breakdown affecting baby?

• Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    erica_03 said:
    Me and my mom got in a heated argument and I got angry and upset. Cried a lot. Now I’m scared the stress might hurt my baby. I’m 10wks 6dys and FTM. Is this something I should worry about? 
    As long as you are still eating properly and staying hydrated and not dealing with the stress in a harmful way like drinking or smoking, you should be fine. Check with your doctor if you’re still concerned.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    newbaby_2019newbaby_2019 member
    edited May 2019
    @meggyme Thank you! I will try to talk to her Monday. I’m just a complete worry wart. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Women deal with much more stressful situations during pregnancy than a heated argument with mom.  Unless you are going to harm yourself, drink or do drugs to deal with it- baby is fine
  • Options
    High levels of stress over long periods of time can cause high blood pressure or heart disease, which can have an affect on your baby, such as the risk of low birth weight or early delivery.  In terms of temporary stress from a single fight, you just need to take care of yourself. Make sure you don’t lose sleep, continue to eat healthy (no over or under-eating).  Mostly stress can make you uncomfortable- headaches, stomach problems, anxiety, etc. so better to manage it however you can because pregnancy is already uncomfortable!  I had a lot issues with my mother, after I realized I was pregnant I went and saw a therapist so I could sort things out and be in a positive place for when my baby came. This may not be a solution for everyone but it certainly was an excellent solution for me. Good luck and I hope for you it was only a one-time thing :)
  • Options
    The hormone changes are really hard to deal with. Here is a good read to learn that short term stress isn't as big of a deal as more long term stress in pregnancy. You do want to keep an eye on it and do what you can to keep stress levels down. Rules need to be put in place to walk away and so some self care when you're feeling ragey. I got so mad in first trimester that I wanted to throw a chair through the living room window. I blew up at a few people and none of that is like me. Then I would cry out of embarrassment. It was like pregnancy completely took away my filter and all of my resentments for my Mom (very very valid ones) just came out like an automatic batting cage ball thing. Some women tried to tell me it wasn't normal and that something was wrong with me. It ended up being fine once second trimester rolled around and I met so many women who experienced the same level of anger. You just have to learn to manage it if it keeps on happening. Keep an eye on it. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170529090530.htm
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN