July 2019 Moms

Iron infusions

Hello everyone, 
 I'm 33 weeks and am super anemic. I have been relatively asymptomatic until very recently and am now being referred to a hematologist to get my levels up through infusion before labor. While I'm excited to get some energy back, I've never had to do anything like this and am naturally a bit nervous. Does anyone have experience with iron infusions and what to expect to happen? Side effects, etc? 
Thank you!

Re: Iron infusions

• erynpdxerynpdx member
    I’ve not personally, but my friend was describing it as an instant fix. Like a crazy miracle where you leave the chair and feel like a whole new person. Fx that’s the case for you!! 
  • I'm in the same boat. I've been what I assume is just normal pregnancy but my levels are low too. I've always struggled with anemia. Been doing lots of dietary changes and extra extra supplements. I convinced them last month to postpone but my recheck is coming up and I worry I won't get the choice this time.
     How low is your hgb? Have you tried any other changes? If your really symptomatic it may just be best to go for the quick fix though