August 2019 Moms
Options

Birth Plans Thread

2»

Re: Birth Plans Thread

• Options
    @janele3214 I discussed it with my doctor at Monday's appointment and she said that the most recent literature shows that unless there's a history of leukemia or lymphoma in your family, cord blood banking is largely an unnecessary expense. She said that something to consider would be cord blood donation (which is free to you), because it is more likely to be used in an immediate productive way. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cato99 thanks for the info. Still debating if we want to do that or not.. no history of that type of cancer in my or his family so..
  • Options
    Yes @Allycat11! I loved it because I could choose to let it soak/handwash it or just toss it. I have actually purchased some Depends for this time, just in case, since I don't think I'll be having as much "freedom" to change as often.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @MamaK225 I think 2+ weeks is on the low side, I'm jealous of your 4 weeks. I bled 8+ with DS#1, and just under 6 with DS#2. Wait.. I just reread your post, and realized those numbers are probably CS specific. Warning to moms with vaginal births - you bleed forever!
    Also, I used depends with DS#1 and they are great. Definitely loved the hospital mesh ones, but once I was home I felt a little naked wearing them. The depends offered more coverage.
    I will say that with DS#2 my bleeding was significantly less. Both in intensity, and in how long it lasted. By the time I was home from the hospital overnight pads were sufficient to catch everything.
  • Options
    @mrosek91 - Yes, I feel that CS most likely has less bleeding since it's only afterbirth/uterine recovery and not WW3-in-my-genitals kind of destruction. For some reason, my family does have a history of faster recoveries/less bleeding after these things, but I am not quite sure why ... not looking a gift horse in the mouth!
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    I still bled for about 6 weeks post c/s, but 3 weeks of it was mostly just spotting, and I just wore a light pantyliner. 

I think it somewhat depends on how well and quickly your uterus contracts & amount of bleeding can also increase if you overdo it on activity PP. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    Oh my god. I’m really grateful for the heads up on things that I guess have just never been told to me. I never dreamed you bleed more than 2-3 weeks regardless of vaginal or CS. Also. I get lightheaded when reading some of this stuff regarding the pain and blood after birth. I’m not freaking out about labor and delivery....maybe I should be. But this afterward stuff has me freaking out just a little. The part where it’ll hurt to pee and poo. Yeah, that’s got me in knots. 

I will be at a very nice birth center. I mean, I LOVE the place. But everyone references what the hospital is equipped with and I’m having a moment of panic that they won’t have everything(mesh underwear).  If necessary, where do I buy that?
  • Options
    They also tend to clean you out as much as possible after a cs so there's just less blood in the ute needing to drain out too.

I wayyyyy over prepared for the pads I'd need haha.  Better over prepared than under, but I could give birth 10 times over with the number of pads I still have left haha.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    +1 to bleeding 6+ weeks post c-section and also post vaginal delivery...
    also like @mamak225 said those mesh panties are everything... they are HUGE but so damn comfortable
    @emqbee not everyone is painful in terms of peeing/pooping post partum... neither of those were bad for me either time (c-section and vbac). but with a vaginal bottle the peri-bottle is wonderful. I bet you could find the mesh panties on amazon.  If there were birthing centers near me and I wasn't a VBAC I would consider a birthing center... don't freak out about the post partum stuff, you'll handle it fine, its just more of the glamour of pregnancy/childbirth 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    I bled for 4-5 weeks after both of my vaginal deliveries. The first several days after DD was born were brutal. DS was a smoother delivery and recovery and bleeding was very heavy for maybe 2 days but then felt like a normal period for a week or two before becoming lighter. 

The first bowel movement after both sucked, worse with DD though. After I left the hospital with DD I stopped taking stool softeners...do NOT do that. With DS I took them for weeks and things were much easier. 

For help with pain when you pee I recommend leaning your body as far forward as possible to kind of angle the stream forward instead of backwards. I found that it burned when hitting the parts where I was stitched up. Definitely use the hospital provided squirt bottle. Also an anti itch and numbing spray was given to me that was helpful a couple times a day. And learn to dab instead of wipe for the first few days or so. 

All TMI super unpleasant things, but they are manageable and very short term inconveniences in the grand scheme of things. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    hemlheml member
    Pre-pregnancy I was obsessed with Thinx period panties, so I’m wondering if they may work post-pregnancy in addition to all the mesh panties I take from the hospital 
  • Options
    I always recommend people get a squatty potty. It helps so much. I started using it after DD2 and havent stopped!
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!