July 2019 Moms

ask a stm+ april

2»

Re: ask a stm+ april

• @samanthak46 personally I’m glad I had one filed with the hospital because while in labour I basically forgot a bunch of things that the nurses were able to make sure happened because they had my plan on file. The main one that comes to mind is I had wanted delayed cord clamping but after she was born totally forgot, since it was on my birth plan the nurses did it automatically. 

I think I wrote something on my plan about being flexible, basically whatever needs to happen for the baby to come out safely but it was nice that the people caring for me had an idea of what I wanted and were able to advocate for me while I was focused on labouring and not necessarily the best advocate for myself. 
  • Loading the player...
  • keebler6elfkeebler6elf member
    edited April 2019
    As a FTM, I’m finding just working on the birth plan helpful. There are so many things that I’m learning about for the very first time, and it’s also giving me the chance to discuss these things in advance with my DH. I like that it’ll allow us to go in with some information beforehand but with the prerogative to alter the plan based on how I  am feeling and how baby’s doing. 

I also come from a family of planners (be prepared may as well be a family motto), and I am not great at winging it. 
  • @keebler6elf same! 
    @mrscammack totally agree that while you are in the throes of labor is not the best time to be learning about alternatives or what that big scary thing they are saying to you is all about. 
  • A birth plan with my oldest went out the window with an emergency C/s. My second was induced VBAC at 38 weeks so I didn’t really have a plan. You should absolutely have a birth plan but also remember it is okay if things don’t go according to plan. This baby has a birth plan for a RCS. I’m also willing to be flexible as long as I have my baby and she’s healthy. 

I will say that birth plans taught taught me a lot more than “I don’t want a c/s”. 
  • @mizzmeg exactly. Planning it out doesn’t mean you don’t accept inevitability. It has been super educational for me. I didn’t know for instance that my doula can take my placenta and make placenta art (want to donate instead but have to see if possible at my delivering hospital. I also didn’t know you could be in labor for weeks and how long that should occur before induction or cesarean are necessary. Delayed cord cutting, who’s allowed in the room, laughing guas as an alternative pain management, immediate skin to skin rather than whisking baby away. There’s a lot I never thought of and it’s helpful to make a plan so you don’t miss out on potentially amazing things if you don’t have to.
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited April 2019
    @scp2585 As others have said, during labor, you will not care. I wound up fully naked, never saw that coming. However, I DID have a comfy "labor" gown and robe that I wore after, and I loved it. I plan on bringing it again. It's not fancy, but I did feel better wearing it when guests came. It was also way more convenient for nursing - I could unsnap the shoulders instead of having to fully open the front of my standard issue hospital gown. I wound up using this gown well into my post-partum period. It's so comfy!

Here's the gown I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8XG0R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @hakele thank you for posting that birth plan example, just now got the chance to look it over. It's been super helpful, I've been looking into and reading some different things and brought some more to do research while camping this weekend, thanks again :) 
  • @samanthak46 you are welcome! I’m glad it helped jump start it for you. Have fun camping! 
  • @tsa208 I feel like I might get naked too! 😂😂😂. But I LOVE the gown you linked for after. I put it in my cart already. It’ll be nice for breastfeeding at home too so it makes me feel justified in buying it. I was told to go home in black bottoms because of all the bleeding and such by my friend who had her daughter last July, but I like the Zoe blue one better than the black one.

did color matter for your go home outfits to any of you other mommas? 
  • @leylea89 - Two time c-section mama here, so I'm not sure if my information would be different from a vaginal birth. I was for sure still bleeding when I went home, but it wasn't OUT OF CONTROL like I might leak through a pad on the ride home. I don't know that I would spring for white pants, but I think you're safe with whatever color you like! ;) 
  • @nerdtoyourmother it’s still helpful. Vaginal is the goal but c-sections can happen so it’s good to know. Hopefully the extra mesh undies will do the trick lol. 
  • That gown is adorable!

I didn't have any going home "accidents" but I wouldn't wear white either. The pads are just so insanely large I felt my clothes were protected. I had some accidents in the days/weeks following my births but it was more like when the bleeding started to slow down and I'd change to a small liner and then bam I'd pass a big clot or something. (Sorry if that's tmi for the FTMs)
  • @Cbeanz don’t apologize 😂 I wish I knew more about the giant clots the first time around - shocked the hell out of me! Nobody talks about the grody parts enough! 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Unfortunately I agree with @mamahmh2 about needing to know. I am not embarrassed about any of it, but I do want to protect myself as best I can. 
  • I definitely agree with the importance others mentioned that it can help you have a sense of direction in labor, and (in my opinion, most importantly) gives you an organized opportunity to think about and research the different options in each phase of labor, and if complications do arise, so you'll be prepared to make informed decisions.