August 2019 Moms
Options

Registry Help Thread!

Re: Registry Help Thread!

• Options
    @denma2015 Thank you!  I’ll add it to my list to check. I’m not sure if my table has a lip around it or not. 
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I don't know if I've ever seen a highchair that tall. Another solution maybe to buy a plain counter height chair (one that doesn't swivel) and then the type of highchair that attaches to another chair. We have this one and are very happy with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @oklahomak I have a mamaRoo as a hand me down and it worked well for us. It was VERY popular for a while and led to some problems with babies who over-used it: if you leave the baby in there too long or too frequently it can create a flat spot on the head which will need correction later on. I had a friend whose baby needed to wear a helmet after overuse of the mamaRoo led to flat head syndrome.

I took that warning WAY to heart and was hysterically strict about it, to the point of chastising my husband for ever putting DD in there, which in retrospect was unnecessary (and actually mean to my husband--at the newborn stage there's so little he could do other than changing diapers, since she was attached to my boob all the time, so this was one of the few things he felt he could do to help soothe her, and I'd flip out at him!). So this time around I'm going to be a lot more chill about using it, just not leaving baby in there for hours at a time!
  • Options
    @cato99 That is crazy! I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense. I wonder what the threshold of appropriate time is in one. Twenty minutes at a time? Less?
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    @oklahomak I have a MamaRoo! No complaints here. It was the only rocker / swing we had. That said, my kid would sleep anywhere, so she didn’t really “need” it to soothe her. 

We didn’t have the flat-head issue that @cato99 mentioned...I would say 20mins would be on the low side...my kid was definitely in it for an hour at a time, maybe more, but probably not longer than 2 hours since she ate that frequently! We probably only used it once or twice a day though. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @aecm Thanks! Once she had outgrown it, did you miss not having a swing for older babies? I've heard they outgrow the MamaRoo fairly early?

@sourlemon That's good to point out!
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    @oklahomak - yeah, so she was “over it” after 4 months or so. I didn’t really miss a swing, per se, but for a bit I was at a loss as to where to put her down when I needed to get stuff done. We transitioned to two main options. The first was on a Fisher Price Kick & Play Mat, which she ADORED. By about 5 months we got her a Fisher Price Jumperoo, which grew with her until she was walking AND kept her contained when she got more mobile.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @aecm Thanks!! I'll definitely look into those grow-out options. I've heard great things about the Jumperoo!
  • Options
    @BigBadWolf12 the Cruz didn’t come with a bassinet that I know of (the box doesn’t look big enough)
  • Options
    Echoing what @sourlemon and @aecm said that the flat head issue can occur anytime you hold the same position for a long time. I think the issue with the mamaRoo is that it was SO effective at soothing that parents were really tempted to leave their babies in there for long stretches, have them sleep in it, etc. That's why I plan to be more lax than I was last time and let the poor thing stay in there for longer than 4.2 seconds (watch now this baby haaaates the mamaRoo).
  • Options
    @purplg8r we have the Uppa Baby and loved it for our son.  He slept in the bassinet until he was 4 months.  I see the bassinet on Facebook Marketplace all the time.  Maybe you can pick one up used.  They are great if you have the stroller
  • Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited April 2019
    @jrm_14 This could be cute if you wanted to paint it to complement whatever else you got going on. The Hotel Restaurant Supply online has the same chair for $68 with shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Winco-CHH-601-Wooden-Height-Chair/dp/B009ISTXQC

Eta; Is your counter the standard 36" from the floor?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @purplg8r ahhh that makes sense.  I was only looking up the Vista and those come with the bassinet automatically.  

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @oklahomak, everyone I know that had one loved it too, which is why I decided to get it. I feel like with anything, baby will either love it or hate it. It's the only swing I am getting so if he doesn't like it, I'll sell it and move on. I've seen it retain its value pretty well here as all the secondhand ones are €175-200 and a new one is €230. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    This is half random question/ half registry help. I’m planning to get the Spectra S1 pump. There doesn’t seem to be accessory packages like with Madela.... so my question is, are those packages compatible with spectra? And how specific are milk storage bags? Also. Please bear with me, I’m just getting into this part of my planning. Do I need 4 and 8 ounce bottles or 6 and 12? I think there was a suggestion/ guideline around here somewhere....
  • Options
    @emqbee I'm also a FTM, but I ordered the Spectra S1, as well. I haven't found a spare parts kit like with other brands, but the Spectra website does have a place where you can purchase any parts you need, and they're pretty affordable. I also found replacement duckbill valves on Amazon. For milk storage bags, I believe I read that the Lansinoh bags work?
  • Options
    emqbeeemqbee member
    edited April 2019
    What’s the verdict on bottle warmers? Unnecessary or a lifesaver? Would it make life easier(especially for husband) during middle of the night feeding?

ETA: WAIT WAIT!! Hold the phone...bottle sterilizers? You can’t just.....wash them? 
  • Options
    mrosek91mrosek91 member
    edited April 2019
    @emqbee bottle warmers are totally unnecessary. We have a hot water urn. When it was bottle time the nanny would fill a mug with hot water from that, and stick the bottle in there for 5-10 minutes. Warmed it up no problem.
    Also IMO bottle sterilizers are a scam for FTMs. Nothing on the bottles that hot water and soap won't get rid of. But then again, I firmly believe that germs/dirt are good for their immune system, and I'm the mom who will pick the paci off the floor wipe it off, and hand it back (unless we're somewhere really public and gross, like the park or grocery store.) so take that into account with my opinion.
    You will want a bottle brush, because bottles are hard to get into/get clean with a regular brush or sponge. But you can pick those up very cheap in any grocery store.
  • Options
    @emqbee we use a bottle warmer. Just speeds it up but it's not necessary. 

Sterilization...I always boil the bottles and pieces before the first use (either out of the box or out of storage) then wash them normally after that. Sterilizers aren't needed in most cases and just take up space. Dishwashers can also.be run on the sterilization setting I hear ..I always handwash bottles though. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @AKuzReve - Wow, what an extensive - and helpful - list (kudos!). I will say, the Aden + Anais muslin blankets are AMAZING. I still use them for DD1 (now almost 3) if she wants a light cover, but not a full-on blanket. And they are sooooo durable, even after a million washes. I saw you listed the Boppy Lounger, but had the covers for the Boppy - they are two different seats/systems, didn't know if you specifically got the Boppy Lounger covers. Let me just say - and, again, I only speak from the experience of one - that I looooooooooooved the Boppy Lounger and wished I had known about it before DD1 was 10wks and had started daycare. It is a miracle wrapped in love and rainbows and it's going to be my #1 accessory with DD2. The original Boppy was meh. I have larger boobs, so the football hold was really the only position that worked for us and that's no bueno with the Boppy - so I sold that off within a week or two of her being born. I have heard great things about MyBreastFriend, though, so that is probably what the covers are for - but I did want to point it out, in case it was an oversight :)

@purplg8r - It's not a bouncer, per se, but I cannot say enough great things about the aforementioned Boppy Lounger. It is slightly inclined, but has plenty of support for baby and their head, etc, but does have the incline so they can see around them. It's also amazing for modified tummy time (when they are 4+ mo and can safely hold their head up, unassisted) - DD1 *refused* to ever do tummy time so the only way I could get her to do it was to be laid in it, on her belly, with her arms stretched over the front ... it was SUPER helpful.

I agree with making sure there are plenty of "smaller" things for individuals to purchase from lists, as well as some "larger" things that are nice-to-haves, as many groups (especially co-workers or distant relatives) may prefer to pool money to buy a larger gift. ALSO, don't forget GIFT CARDS. Especially for online retailers, you never know what you'll run out of at 2a and realize there's NO WAY you're getting to the store in the next 48 hours. Plus, you can accumulate them to buy some larger things that do not end up getting purchased.

AFM, I'm expanding on DD1's registry and adding just a few things. I would like to change bottles; we LOVED the Dr. Brown's, but - damn - it was hard to wash them all. Maybe we'll just buy a few more sets so we can feel ok being lazy (see: toddler refuses to give up bottles for bedtime milk) about it ... something else to think about ;) 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    aecmaecm member
    @emqbee - I concur with @mrosek91. We let the bottles sit in hot water from the sink for like, 5 mins, and were good to go. Also, I was happy to throw all our bottle parts in the dishwasher. Never bothered with sterilization. Only time I would worry about that is if you don’t have city water...my parents have lake water, so we boiled everything when we were there to be safe. Not sure if well water might have issues?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @denma2015 good idea!  I’ll have to check!!

@MamaK225 I did register for the boppy lounger but I’ve never seen one in person. It would be secure enough to plop her on when I’m in the shower?
  • Options
    @emqbee I think we did a product spotlight on breast pumps (maybe it was one of the first ones?), with conversations about accessories and sanitation stuff, so you may want to do a search of the boards to see if you get any additional info now that you have the topic on your mind! 
  • Options
    @purplg8r - Think of it as a bean bag chair for infants. It's best used under close supervision, but I 100% used it in that sort of application (with it set on the floor, with surrounding cushioning and before baby can roll out on their own) - I could keep an eye on her through the glass of the shower door.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    We loved the boppy lounger too!! So helpful for bringing around the house to set baby on! We also brought it to other people’s houses so baby had somewhere to sit and/or take short naps. 

We don’t boil bottles or sterilize them, but if you have a preemie or your doctor recommends it that would be something to consider. 

I did really like the microwave sterilizing bags for pacifiers every once in awhile to give them a thorough cleaning. We don’t clean them often enough and they frequently get dropped on the floor so I would use those bags once I’m awhile. 

**Sorry for not tagging my replies, I’m on mobile and it wasn’t working
  • Options
    For those interested in the Boppy lounger who haven't bought one/finalized registry yet you might also consider the Pello. I am not necessarily advocating for it - a mom friend of mine insisted I buy a used one at a secondhand sale for $20. It's similar to the Boppy lounger but allegedly will fit a baby for longer. Seems like the type of thing that's handy to put them in for a few minutes to chill or for naps where they are monitored. I've also heard they are useful for tummy time. 
  • Options
    hemlheml member
    A thought for those still deciding where to register: if privacy is important to you, Babylist allows you to uncheck a box so that your registry isn’t searchable on google (but you can search by name on their website). I’m not sure if Target, Amazon, etc. allow you to do so? There was an issue at my office a couple of years ago with a disgruntled individual finding a fellow attorney’s baby registry and being really creepy about it, so I’m hyper sensitive to what people can google and find. 
  • Options
    @zamora_spin thank you for posting that! I remembered you had mentioned an alternate doc-a-tot like months ago and I was trying to find the reference but couldn't find it!
  • Options
    emqbeeemqbee member
    Can I bring this thread back?

I have an old high chair...and by old I mean it's the old school wooden, lift the tray up type high chair. I'm trying to decide if that will work with adding a high chair cushion for a little boost/security. Or if there added benefits to a new/modern high chair that I haven't thought about. I realize it's going to be a while before we need it but was debating adding it to the registry.

• Options
    BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited May 2019
    @emqbee
    Can you get LO in and out of the high chair without lifting the tray?  If you have to lift the tray I think that would be annoying.  But we have the basic idea high chair and rarely take the tray off, we just wash it off after he's out of it if he's not in the mood to wait. 

Other thoughts: ability to clean wood? Will LO like to lift up the tray to explore the movement and noise it makes?

In general I don't think bells and whistles high chairs are worth it. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    @emqbee does it have a strap to hold the baby in? That is my number one deciding factor.
    When we go to my mom, we still use the high chair that she used for all of us (over 30 years old, fun fact, it's the same highchair used in the TV show Full House.) The strap doesn't get as tight as the modern ones do, but it is there, so I have no problem using that chair.
    DH's grandma still has the chair she used for my FIL, (over 50 years old) and it has no strap so I refuse to use it. Everyone in the family tells me all the children and grandchildren used it and survived, and I'm being silly. I tell them, if they want to be the ones to sit next to my son and spend the entire meal stopping him from climbing out I will be happy to use it, otherwise we are bringing our portable.
  • Options
    For those who are having trouble getting the baby registry goody bag (Welcome kit) from Target, if you call 1800.888.9333, they will get your details and mail you the kit for free.
    I was fed up of stopping at every target only to find out they are very random and always out of stock.
  • Options
    emqbeeemqbee member
  • Options
    reviving this again for a question. We registered for a travel system and then decided to buy a city select stroller on our own after getting a great deal on it. Do we need 2 full sized strollers? or should I remove the travel system and just register for the car seat? (we did also purchase the adapter for the car seat to click in to the city select)

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    @Avrilmai I'm a FTM so this is just my opinion based on, well, nothing, but I would think maybe remove the travel system and add the car seat you want and the adapter for the City Select? Not sure if you live in the city or not, but I would think one full-size stroller would be plenty. Or maybe try a travel system that comes with a jogging stroller, if you think you'll want one? 
  • Options
    @Avrilmai In my experience one stroller is all you need. I would take the travel system off the register and put on just the car seat and adapter.  
  • Options
    @Avrilmai In my opinion one stroller is plenty. I actually debated not getting a stroller this time, but decided on a jogging model because I’m going to force myself to shed these extra pounds. In the past we haven’t used the “big” stroller much and got far more use from an umbrella stroller when the boys were a bit older. But we live in a suburban area and drive everywhere. 
  • Options
    We have too many strollers...I'll tell you my tale so you can learn from it.

BLUF: really, only one good stroller is needed if it suits all your needs. Maybe 2 if one is a jogger and one is lightweight. Certainly not the 5 that we've had (and the 4 that we kept from that)!

Bought a Graco travel system when it was super on sale. We dont have nice paths/sidewalks here, and it has small hard plastic wheels. Not ideal. We used it three times at home, all three were when stroller 2 had a flat. We also tried to travel with that stroller and it was a PITA. So big and heavy. Not very comfy. The car seat was always intended to be used in my mom's car so we never used them together. It was nice having the car seat for her car, but we really didnt need the stroller. After we didnt use that stroller a single time for kid 2, we got rid of it about 6 months ago in a yard sale. I dont miss it.

Bought a BOB running stroller, a Britax carseat, and adapter. The BOB was our main stroller for everything. Big air filled wheels really make a difference. We were also runners so it made sense. We still use this as a main stroller when we have just one kid out with us, or if the other one is riding a bike. I love that thing. However, it's too heavy to travel with (and expensive so I didnt want to travel with it).

Bought a used running stroller specifically for a vacation. It was lighter than the BOB, and since I only paid $75 for it, I wasnt too concerned about it getting beat up. We used this on 2 vacations and now it lives at my moms house. She used it quite a bit when DD2 was little, but its been in the shed for a good year now. I'm sure itll get use again when she's watching this baby. Clearly this was "extra". No single family needs two strollers of a similar function.

When expecting DD2, we bought a BOB Dualie. We saw this as necessary as we were still runners and DD1 was only 2.5. Certainly not big enough to go on 10 mile bike rides while we ran. This stroller was used heavily the first 18 months and is still used on occasion if DD1 is being lazy or if we are going to an event at the park.

We then bought a light weight super fold-up stroller for a vacation to NYC. That thing was a life saver running up and down subway stairs. We like it so much that we use it often if we go shopping at a mall and expect only one kid to need a ride. And since it folds super small, it's easy to throw it in the van for long trips. All of our other strollers take up too much space and limit how much other stuff we can bring.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I decided to remove the travel system. I needed some reinforcement to convince DH. He was like, we can just keep one in each car, but that seemed excessive to me. Already made the change.

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked"