August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 3/31

Re: Weekly Questions 3/31

• @mamamias Yes on the RLP. I don’t remember it being this bad/early with my other pregnancies. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mamamias I have it, but it isn't very severe. It's mostly when I'm trying to get comfortable in bed at night. Is there anything your doctor can do for it? 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    edited April 2019
    @mrosek91 I had my husband buy me a bathrobe for Christmas this year because I couldn't justify the price tag either.  I think it was around $90 from Macy's, but it is sooooooo soft.  
  • hemlheml member
    @mamamias Mine was pretty severe yesterday. A warm bath and heating pad last night helped me a lot. I’ve been trying to hydrate more too because I figure that helps with everything??

Thanks for the Rex @EmilyA724!!
  • @mrosek91 - Lands End!!! You'll have to monitor the site, but when they go on sale, they usually are a steal and so comfortable!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • @mamamias I didn't have RLP with the twins but I sure have with my last pregnancy and this one. It seems the worst for me when I get up from sitting. 
    @mrosek91 I would splurge... especially since you'll have it for a while. (though I will admit to stealing one of DH's robes since he has 2... and its amazing). 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @mrosek91 sounds like you keep your robe for years, so investing in something that is quality and comfortable sounds like a good investment. 

@heml have you considered looking for men's shorts? they may be a bit longer and wont have the "pink pricing" or added cost for being labeled "maternity." I sleep in the men's boxer shorts from old navy.  

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @wabash15 @oklahomak It is severe when I get up from sitting. The doctor suggests a heating pad, tylenol and a warm bath if it is very bad. They are also recommending a maternity belt but I feel it's too early for that. 
  • @mamamias You might not knock the maternity belt! A friend of mine who had a baby last year passed along a couple of them to me - the one she used early on was pretty slim and doesn't seem too bad!
  • @mamamias I'm already in a maternity belt (well an elastic band... but sometimes we repeat moms need extra support)
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• I ordered a maternity belt a few weeks ago, but it’s a little different from the one I had last time (although it looked the same) and is only comfortable when I’m standing. Maybe I just need to break it in?
  • @mrosek91 - That made me genuinely happy!! What a good husband!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • In several PP articles, they talk about making padsicles. I understand why, but if you’re still bleeding & the pad is full of frozen aloe & witch hazel, I can only imagine how messy that gets. Any insight from STMs on this?
  • @jrm_14 my hospital gave out special frozen pads. They work like ice packs in first aid kits, you crack them to activate the cold, but they were the equivalent of really absorbent pads. They were amazing. If you know any moms who used your hospital, you can ask if they have them.
  • @mamamias I have been fighting RLP for a bit already and had it pretty badly with one or both of my other pregnancies.  No major tips for dealing with it, just an I feel your pain moment.

@jrm_14 I remember using padsicles after giving birth both times and it was not a mess. I cant remember the logistics but they felt like heaven with all of the swelling and soreness. Also I was a big fan of the mesh undies from the hospital and stashed a few extra pair to take home. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @mrosek91 I gasped out loud at the plot twist of your husband buying you a robe as a surprise! What a wonderful outcome!
  • @jrm_14 the hospital I delivered at has these ice packs that are shaped like pads. And I think I only used them 12-24 hours after delivery. At home if I was sore I just used regular ice packs outside my pants with no towel or rag as a barrier and it worked well. I should add though that recovery wasn't hard for me with any of my deliveries. I know a lot of people (and articles) talk about having difficulty walking and pooping and I had none of that. So take my recovery advice with a grain of salt lol 
  • @Allycat11 It became so bad today that standing up was pure agony. I got worried it might be something worse than RLP and called the dr's office for an appointment. Turns out they don't have anything until Monday which is when I have my regular OB appointment. So broke down and took a tylenol. Feeling better now.
  • @mamamias I read that as some mom guilt and maybe it's not, but I just want to say, don't beat yourself up for taking a tylenol. Your pain/discomfort was real and tylenol is on every list for pregnant women. I'm glad to hear it helped. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @mamamias look up the symptoms of Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction (SPD.) It's super common, kind of in the same area of RLP, and can make standing, lifting legs, and walking really really painful. 
  • @Beauxbaton OMG! I’ve never heard of that!! I think I’m somewhere between that and RLP, but we still have a lot of time to go. 
  • @Beauxbaton Thank you for this info. I have never heard of this SPD before. I looked it up and the symptoms are pretty close to what I have. Will talk to my dr about some PT which might help.
  • aecmaecm member
    I definitely had SPD with my first and am already experiencing it with this pregnancy. No advice, but it’s definitely not fun.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My quest for maternity work pants continues.  The ones I got from Motherhood Maternity aren't great.  Anyone have any luck so far?
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    edited April 2019
    @Twinkiedoll I also haven’t been thrilled with the pants from Motherhood for work. My sister took me to Target and bought me several things just because she wanted me to feel put together while preggo and knew my clothes aren’t fitting great anymore(best sister alert!) Anyways, found two pairs of black pants that are comfy and look great for work. Not sure exactly what your after, style wise but these are perfect for me. They are straight/skinny leg style. They work great for the kind of shoes I tend to wear to work, summer and winter. 
    Eta: I think they had white and khaki too but I don’t wear light colors so...
  • @emqbee that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.  I only wear black or dark grey pants to work.  What brand are the pants you have?
  • @Twinkiedoll their called Isabel Maternity. I think they were between 22-30$. I also bought some of their maternity shorts and I’m in love!!
  • @emqbee my target has a crap selection for maternity!! I’m jealous!
  • @purplg8r don’t be too jealous! I was visiting my sister in Colorado Springs and they have a really nice shopping area. Pretty sure my Target here is going to disappoint when I go check out their selection!
  • @purplg8r I'm just going to order online and hope for the best!
  • For those with SPD symptoms the things I have found most helpful is the butterfly stretch and an ice pack on the pubic area. One good thing is it seems to go away almost immediately after delivery based on personal experience and experience of others I've known with it.
  • hemlheml member
    @Beauxbaton Thank you! I think that’s what I was experiencing Wednesday and Thursday. I read online crossing your legs makes it worse so I’m trying to be mindful of that at work. No crossing on Friday and didn’t have pain. 

@twinkledoll I’ve been very happy with my stitch fix boxes, great work dresses and shirts. I asked them for work approp capris in my next box 
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited April 2019
    I have a full wrap around pillow and lately, it hasn’t been keeping me from rolling on my back. Not sure exactly how long being on my back is happening but it seems like a ton. 

https://www.amazon.com/PharMeDoc-Pregnancy-Maternity-Detachable-Extension/dp/B07M79KGPM/

Here is the one I got. Any suggestions?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake I think even with pillows it's just one of those things? And lately I've been hearing that rolling onto your back during the night occasionally isn't really a serious problem--you just don't want to, idk, spend all day splayed out on your back! I think the pillow you have is probably the best one to prevent being on your back since you're all-around supported, so you're doing all you can!

In my case, I don't know what it is this pregnancy but I'm winding up on my back ALL THE TIME in spite of my pregnancy pillows (and I'm naturally a side or stomach-down sleeper--I don't even sleep on my back when not pregnant, let alone last pregnancy). Like I'll wake up draped dramatically all over my poor ignored pregnancy pillow on my back. It's annoying and sometimes uncomfortable but I'm not overly concerned overall.
  • Same here @cato99 re; being a side sleeper pre-pregnancy. I'm winding up on my back all of the time now too. Hmm, my husband wonders if that's the reason we wake in the middle of the night other than to use the restroom--maybe our bodies are like hey you, roll back over on your side? It's nice to hear this is happening to other Mamas too and that it's probably not something to be concerned about. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Likewise constantly ending up on my back despite my u-shape pregnancy pillow and falling asleep on my sides... I even feel a little nauseous from it sometimes. I figure that’s why my body is waking me up... plus you know, all of the peeing 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @emqbee @Twinkiedoll well, I just fell down the rabbit hole of Old Navy & Gap maternity since they seem to be having a good sale so I feel better 😜

@suzycupcake @cato99 @olivemomma add me to another that keeps waking on my back.  I’ve tried 2 different pillows and no luck.  
  • I have had luck with maternity jeans once it occurred to me that they have to have an actual button in order to stay up along with the side/full panel. Not sure how you ladies feel about lightly used maternity items, but Poshmark is great for finding designer maternity jeans for low prices. Last week, I made an offer on a $60 pair for $30 and the seller accepted. They don't charge your card until you hop back online to accept the order, making sure nothing is wrong with it first. That's a great feature. I do have one pair of jeans that doesn't have a button, but they stay up all of the time. They are Pink Blush, but the other pair of PBs I bought from the same seller don't stay up at all. So it has to be that an actual front button is the safest way to go.

A tape measure is highly recommended on your pre-pregnancy jeans to check the inches around the top, but always go with the measurement of around your butt to the front for hips size because that matters most. The brand size charts seem to be true. With Motherhood, their size charts are true too. It's best to read the reviews on the jeans though. If a women are saying they don't stay up, don't buy them. If there are no reviews, don't buy them. Just my two cents. 

And oooh, thanks @purplg8r for mentioning the sale. The $30 offer I made was on some Gap true skinny inset panel jeans and I'm in love with them! 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI