VBAC

VBAC Story

NittleNittle member
I know this board isn't super active, but I found a lot of encouragement from reading the stories here so I wanted to share my own.

In June 2015, I was induced at 40 weeks due to preeclampsia with my oldest daughter. The induction went as planned, but she was posterior and wouldn't descend. After 24 hours of labor (a few of those pushing), I ended up with a c-section where I could feel what was happening. I ended up severely anemic and required two blood transfusions. It was a scary experience and a very challenging recovery and one I wanted to avoid at all costs. 

When I found out I was pregnant again, I was wary of trying for a VBAC, but after many discussions with my OB I felt comfortable trying. I went into it with the mindset that if anything went wrong (signs of fetal distress, etc), we would switch gears and have the c-section. For me, it was more about having a better recovery than some absolute need to just have a vaginal birth. I am a plus-size mom and worked very hard to stay within the weight gain my doctor advised for me which I think helped the process.

I went into labor on my own at 40w 6 days. My doctor didn't require me to have an epidural but recommended it, so I did have one. It didn't work, so they placed it again but it still didn't work (ouch!). I was in labor for 13 hours. I went from 8 cm to 10 cm very quickly, and my doctor accidentally broke my water checking to see if I was complete (I was.) Once that happened, I couldn't stop the urge to push. I pushed for about 30 minutes before she arrived! I did end up with a 3rd degree tear which has made recovery a little harder than I expected. I lost of lot of blood and almost ended up under general anaesthesia for the repair since I could feel the stitches. I was able to calm down and get the stitches in the delivery room though. However, just one week in and I can't explain how much better the postpartum experience has been. I'm so grateful that I was able to get the VBAC I was trying for just for the simple fact that it's allowed me to be more present for my family this time around. That was very important to me since I have a 3 year old at home this time. 

Also I had an AMAZING nurse and I fully believe that a huge part of my success was due to her. 

Good luck for anyone trying for their VBAC! 

Re: VBAC Story

• Thanks for this! I was told today I have a 90% chance at a successful VBAC. I feel hopeful. My first was born vaginally, but with a vacuum after 5.5 hours of unmedicated pushing 😫 My second was an emergency c-section after 3.5 hours of pushing. She was stuck face up. Both times I started out at my birth center and both times I had to be transferred by ambulance while pushing. This time has to be better, right?! My emotions go up and down. I'm hopeful for a vbac, yet trying to prepare for a repeat csection just in case. This time though, I'm starting out at the hospital. No more ambulance rides for me I hope!!
  • @kingdommom - fingers crossed for you! I can't imagine how scary an ambulance ride that far into labor would be! My doctor told me I had a "lower end of moderate" chance of success, so 90% sounds like great odds!
  • Loading the player...
  • I did it! I was able to have my vbac😊 Only pushed an hour this time and was able to hold my baby boy immediately and do delayed cord clamping just like I wanted to! Isaiah is a week old today. I'm so glad I chose a vbac, recovery has been so much better this time!
  • Congrats!! 
  • Congrats!! He is beautiful!