August 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

2»

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Anyone have any comments on manual vs electric?
    I'd like to have a pump ready in case it's necessary (needing  to try to boost low supply or something). But I don't want to spend all the money on an electric if it ends up not being something I'll need/use.
    But also don't want to waste money on a manual if they suck...
    ETA.... 
    Or don't suck I guess...since that would be the problem 😂
  • Options
    @chillycanadian I never tried a manual pump but I would imagine it's way less efficient than an electric one. Maybe start keeping an eye out on local boards for used pumps? And check with your OB to see if you would have any financial assistance in acquiring one (I don't know what the Canadian system is but as discussed, many US insurance programs cover a pump for free). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @cato99! Someone recently told me that many of our insurance providers cover some of the cost. I'll have to look into it!
  • Options
    I started with just a manual pump while waiting for the electric to arrive. It was fine as far as sucking but my hand sure got tired fast! And since it was only one side at a time, I had to do it on each side so it took twice as long. I loved the electric when it arrived! However, when I had some serious clogs, I always went back to the manual because I could get them out easier with the manual than the electric.

It really depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on pumping often or just occasionally? I was an exclusive pumper. I spent about 3 hours a day in the beginning hooked up to the pump. No way could I have done that with the manual pump. If its just for once in a while / emergency use, it may not be worth the cost of the electric. But if you are going to pump every day, I say its worth it.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon I don't plan to pump at all. But in my researching as a FTM I learned that if you are having supply issues, pumping after feeding can help increase supply. (The whole supply and demand thing).
    And of course, I've heard all the horror stories of lack of supply etc, so I got worried and thought I should be prepared with a pump. And of course, never know what will happen with delivery. So there is always the chance that I will have to pump before being able to breast feed.

It's a contingency plan.
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    @chillycanadian I didn’t plan to pump a ton...but then I needed it to increase my supply, and provide supplemental feeds for weight gain. It was nice to be able to have my husband give the occasional bottle, and then it was useful to pump to leave milk for her when we went out for the evening and left her with the grandparents. THEN my kid decided she didn’t want to breastfeed and I decided to exclusively pump 😂. So I would recommend getting an electric pump - you have no idea when it might come in handy. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited March 2019
    @chillycanadian I was given a manual pump from a friend.  I used it on occasion if I wanted to have a bottle "just in case" (like before flying,  if I had an appointment and didn't want to be stressed if I got stuck in traffic coming back to baby,  etc.) The only time I used it a lot was when I got mastitis.

If you're planning to exclusively nurse then id probably just get a manual pump to have "in case of emergency" and you can always get an electric pump later if needed. This is also assuming you're taking Canadian maternity leave and you'll be with baby constantly until after they're not nursing as much/don't need bottles. A manual would be no good for returning to work while still wanting to give breast milk as the main source of food imo.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    Thanks ladies!
    @BigBadWolf12 yea, I'll be home with LO until s/he is a year old. Then I imagine feedings will be super decreased in number. I believe at that point my friend was only nursing once a day? Depends on the child I guess.

@aecm exactly what my concern is...the what ifs and the contingency plan. Though apparently alternating BF and bottle can lead to baby deciding they are done with BF. One article I read suggested it was because drinking from a bottle is so much less effort for them, so they get "lazy" and prefer the easy route. So I'm nervous about the "what if baby needs supplemental feeds for weight gain, and then prefers bottle?"
    But I guess I have to remember that whatever happens, happens. Gotta go with the flow. There is no manual for raising a kid, and gotta figure out what works...
  • Options
    Definitely depends on the child lol @chillycanadian I was home with my son until 16 months old and he was still nursing 4-5 times a day.  Bc it was accessible. When I went back to work he was fine just doing morning and night and didn't mind not having it during the day but on weekends he's constantly nursing on and off. He's 18 months and still going like that. But I never needed to pump since he was "out of sight out of mind" and didn't need it at the age when I went back to work :p that's our story

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    aecmaecm member
    @chillycanadian I worried about going back and forth between the bottle and breast, but my pediatrician told me early on that she had no concerns about it and she thinks that nipple confusion is blown out of proportion. And among my mom friends, I’ve seen way more kids that vastly prefer the boob and refuse to drink from a bottle (which is super fun when they go back to work and the kid is at daycare). My daughter went back and forth without any issue for months, and I’m pretty sure her refusal to breastfeed was directly related to her starting to get teeth, not some major bottle preference. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @aecm yea...teeth plus breast feeding doesn't sound awesome...haha

@BigBadWolf12 I guess I'll have to try to go with the flow and see what my LO is like! Probably gonna be a handful 😂
  • Options
    @denma2015 I am very interested in the Elvie, but for the price and not being covered by insurance I am waiting. 1. I want to see how much I end up needing to pump. 2. I'm waiting on more reviews, because there aren't really enough out there right now and I've seen some that mention leaking issues.  
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 yeah I’m thinking the same thing.  I work in a super busy ER and I know I will be pumping at least 2-3 times a shift.  Being gone for 20-30 minutes at a time is tough.  It was the most stressful part of breastfeeding last time around.  One of the docs is using the willow and it is so quiet and she does it while working on the floor.  She just puts a coat on.  I just hate that it is a $.50 a bag.  That makes formula look affordable!  I may just put a little extra in my HSA and bite the bullet and try the ElVie.  At least I can probably resell it on FB marketplace if it doesn’t work out.  
  • Options
    @denma2015 and @EmilyA724 I’ve also been considering the Elvie. I travel for work and think it could make a huge difference for me once I am back to work. I just learned that Buy Buy Baby is selling the Elvie now and you can use your registry completion discount on it! Something to keep in mind as you weigh the options 😊
  • Options
    @gcmomtobe19 thanks for the heads up!  I will totally wait for a coupon to purchase.  I already put the money in my HSA so at least I’m getting it pretaxed.  Plan on getting another Spectra through insurance.  That thing was a beast my first go around.  
  • Options
    @denma2015 @gcmomtobe19 It looks like you can also order through Bed Bath and Beyond and use a 20% coupon as opposed to the 15% registration discount.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @aecm - I only have experience with the one, but I would agree: if you BF/bottle-feed interchangeably I think there is minimal confusion. They understand "soft thing in mouth = food" (and I've definitely heard more babies that refuse a bottle when EBF).

I've picked up the search again now that I'm nearing that 6-month mark. I know I've asked before, but figured there may be more posters/active users now: STM+ - is there a single/double pump out there that has a REALLY good motor for strong suction? I normally pump 10-14 oz in a sitting in less than 10 min, and most pumps either fizzle out or can't get me fully empty, which then messes with my production. 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    agpandmeagpandme member
    edited April 2019
    I had 2 friends give me medela pumps recently and a manual one for emergencies I suppose.  I just have to order new cups and tubing and figure out the measurement.  Honestly the different brands had my head spinning so I'm glad my friends made it easy for me  :s  They both said they were "the best".