We haven't had one of these in a while.

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days:

Baby is the size of a(n):

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): 

Upcoming Appointments:

How are you feeling?:

Rants/Raves: 

Questions: 

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice?

TTC#1 10/2016
TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

Re: Group 3 Check-In (Aug 15-23)-w/o 03/04

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: Aug 17/16 w 2d

Baby is the size of a(n): pickle

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): pink

Upcoming Appointments: sono/mfm/ob this Thursday

How are you feeling?: Alright, tired, but not as tired as I have been.

Rants/Raves: not really? I never really know what to opu here.

Questions: nope

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? The best advice I've gotten was about marriage. Someone randomly at a race my husband owns told me "it takes more than love to make a marriage work." When she told me I kind of thought she was nuts. But it's definitely true. I mean love is kind of at the heart of everything you do in a marriage, but sometimes it's not enough. And sometimes love isn't enough of a reason to stay married. Not sure what the best pregnancy/parenting advice I've gotten has been. 

• Options
    agpandmeagpandme member
    edited March 2019

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: 15w3d

Baby is the size of a(n): Pear (4 inch 2,5 oz)

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Not sure yet!

Upcoming Appointments: March 28  :'( I don't want to wait that long

How are you feeling?: Great! Endless energy!

Rants/Raves: Iron pills are the worst

Questions:  Should I do a gender reveal at the baby shower? LOL My husband scheduled the shower SUPER early and we won't know the sex until 2 weeks before the party.  Kind of want to surprise everyone.

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? 

Have a birth plan but be flexible!

Non P/P advice would be to not feel bad about separating yourself from toxic people.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: EDD 8/16; 16w3d

Baby is the size of a(n): The Bump = Avocado; Ovia = Dill pickle

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Green

Upcoming Appointments: Anatomy scan got moved up to 3/18!

How are you feeling?: Feeling pretty good. Still tired but heartburn has started, blahhh

Rants/Raves: I vacuumed the entire upstairs as well as vacuumed all the dog hair off of all our couches (thanks to our Golden Retriever) on Saturday. Then Sunday I was completely useless and did nothing haha. My DH also did start painting our bedroom finally too so I was happy about that. I can't think of any Rants atm.

Questions: None right now.

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? I guess advice that I found useful was to pick your battles (both parenting and for marriage). With my DH, I have to make a conscientious effort on what I really want to nitpick about and others that aren't that big a deal. Same with DD, especially at the toddler age, although she may say and/or do things that I wish she wouldn't, we try to be stricter about things that are genuinely no debate issues (for example, she HAS to hold the railing when going up and down the stairs and she's learned we mean that).

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: 16 weeks today!

Baby is the size of a(n): Dill pickle

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Still shocked and coming to terms with being team pink (excited but I have a lot of baggage I'm bringing into this mother / daughter relationship and I am really terrified).

Upcoming Appointments: Tomorrow for my normal checkup and 3/26 for Level 2 ultrasound with MFM

How are you feeling?: Exhausted and really emotionally drained. I can't focus on anything and I am just in a really moody space right now. 

Rants/Raves:  Not too much. I want the baby, not the pregnancy. Pregnancy is emotionally and physically so hard on me. I cry all the time because I am just so anxious and depressed and on top of that I have HG. It's just so much. I just want the baby. This happens every single time so it's nothing new and I know it's a short period of time in the long run but I am really struggling.

Questions: None 

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? Work advice: force your superiors to know you. It shows you are a human more than a productivity machine. I am really good at separating work / personal when it comes to critiques and learning (the more you know, the more you can change!) but I also make it a point to know about my team's families, weekend plans, personal struggles (as much as I can as their boss) and do the same for mine. It has served me well.

For parenting, I don't know if someone told me or it was a blog or if because my parents were so fucked up I always thought this? But it's much harder to be a kid than kids are given credit for. Those ridiculous things to us really are big things to them. It's important to coach them through their emotions and not shame them for having feelings, however ridiculous it may seem.

• Options
    @lilmamabebe3 I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time right now. Have you talked with your doctor or your support team about how you're feeling? I feel like there is so much conversation around postpartum depression and we don't really talk much about perinatal mood and anxiety issues. For so many women the issues crop up in pregnancy and resolve in the postpartum period. I hope you have the support you need, but if you need any additional support this internet stranger is just an inbox away. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    @lilmamabebe3 so many hugs. I did not have HG with my last pregnancy but dry heaved daily till nearly 20 weeks and still very vividly remember crying over the sink, just wanting to feel better. So grateful for baby at the same time so over being sick. You are a warrior. HG is no joke. As for having a daughter, my mom and I do not have a good relationship but I love the crap out of my girls. All my kids are treated the same and each relationship is a little different and special. Your relationship with your mom may help in that it makes you try harder with this little one and be more conscious of establishing that good relationship. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    I am so glad I came back to this group, I love you ladies <3

@Avrilmai yes, and I have the same doctor I had with my second baby and went through the exact same thing. I had to start meds halfway through my pregnancy and then weaned off of them once he was here. I struggle so much during pregnancy. Emotionally I was great and thought I might avoid it this time, but it hit me hard. And I do go to therapy, I have friends that are super aware, and a great partner. I have the village. It's just so.damn.hard. to get through the day sometimes for no reason. I have an OB appt tomorrow and therapy Friday and plan to discuss it with both of them.
  • Options
    @wabash15 ahh you're making me cry!! I recently wrote and published a blog on these feelings and the response was overwhelmingly support and positive and I was shocked at how many other women relate. It's hard! 
  • Options

Hi I've missed this group!

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: August 16 / 16w 3d

Baby is the size of a(n): avocado

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Blue! (I've known for weeks and it's still sinking in hahaha. DD is such a girly presence!)

Upcoming Appointments: regular OB appt 3/15 and then anatomy scan 3/27. @agpandme I'm in the middle of a long stretch of no appointments and I feel you on getting tired of the wait!

How are you feeling?: I'm just getting over a fairly bad sinus infection type thing so I'm looking forward to getting back into exercising, which I know will help me feel better all round! 

Rants/Raves: so using The Bump app is clunky, but I'm on my computer today and wow the ads underneath the text boxes for responding to threads are really annoying me. There's one that's like (already creepily) "locate anyone yes hi be a stalker stalking is cool" or whatever, but the accompanying picture is a really unsettling woman and I'm getting some serious Momo vibes from her. I've had to reposition my browser window like 5 times to escape her steely stare. 

Questions: @agpandme I don't know that I'd be able to keep the secret for two weeks while waiting for the shower!

non-baby: it's such a little thing, but I have a tendency to be messy and I found this little piece of advice (from my grandfather) helpful, that if you have something in your hand and need to put it down, spend the extra 10 seconds right then actually going to where it's supposed to go. If you don't want to spend the time, and just put it down wherever, you wind up spending more time later on straightening up everything. 

pregnancy: also a little tiny thing, but I never heard or read it anywhere else, so I want to share from a friend: near the end of the pregnancy buy yourself something nice like a fancy pair of pajamas or luxe robe or something just for you, to have after the baby comes. She said that as soon as the baby is born everything becomes about him/her and it's so easy to lose yourself, so a little item like that as an indulgence just for yourself is something nice to look forward to. 

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: August 22/ 13 W 4 Days - I am having twins which will be delivered no later than 38 weeks which is why my due date & weeks don’t line up! 

Baby is the size of a(n): Lemons 

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Double Pink!

Upcoming Appointments: checkup March 22nd 

How are you feeling?: Still in shock that there are twins! I only found out 5 days ago when I went in for the NT scan. Overall feeling physically great! 

Rants/Raves: Raves: Feeling super grateful for all of the support and well wishes that have been flowing in from family in friends since sharing our news of twin girls! Also so blessed that the results from the NT scan were great and both babies are extremely low risk.   

Rants: On the reverse of that, I’m already sick of the negative people telling us we will never sleep again and focusing only on the negative things. I’d like to throat punch them- ha! 

Questions: 

I can’t think of anything right now because I’ve been overwhelmed with great and not so great advice lately! 

• Options
    I am so jealous everyone knows the gender!!!! I have to wait until our anatomy scan on April 3rd I’ll be about 20 weeks then 😭😭
  • Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: somewhere between 8/17 and 8/24. Tomorrow I should know if they are moving my EDD again

Baby is the size of a(n): No idea and too lazy to look right now.  

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): green til delivery! 

Upcoming Appointments: regular check up tomorrow. F.I.N.A.L.L.Y meeting my new OB and curious if she will be changing my EDD since baby was measuring 10-11 days ahead at last u/s. 

How are you feeling?: Like crap quite honestly still nauseous, tired, already have back hip and pelvic pain. But I am thankful for it all. 

Rants/Raves: My head cold keeps getting worse and the kids have yet another snow day. I am sick of winter and sick of feeling sick. Just feeling done with everything right now. Rave: while I was typing this LO started wiggling around like, "Hey Mama, its fine...I love you." 

Questions: 

Non-pregnancy: No one can ever make you feel inferior without your consent. 

Parenting: "Your baby is not giving you a rough time, she is going through a rough time." DD cried and cried and cried as a baby, she has always been a challenging one. As I was bouncing her around the house with my eyes half open, day and night, it was a great reminder that she was not doing it just to make things harder for me. I still try to remind myself of that general idea now that the kids are older...but sometimes toddlers and kids do want to push your buttons on purpose too. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    @Allycat11 I think that is a great piece of parenting advice. DH sometimes struggles with feeling like the kids are being difficult to make his life difficult but their not, they are just having a hard time. 
    @knottie22d5d03630094f34 if you go to the knot and change your user name it would be a lot easier to remember/Identify you. you may have to log out to have the name change take effect. congrats on the twins.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/23  15w4d

Baby is the size of a(n): box of crayons 

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Pink

Upcoming Appointments: 3/12 for my first MFM appt then 3/20 for my next ob appt (and first of 2 GD tests)

How are you feeling?: lots of headaches—  over it

Rants/Raves: I’m really tired.  I wasn’t this tired in the first trimester.  So ready for spring break!

Questions: 

Non-parenting: Don’t be afraid to say no  (I still suck at this)

Parenting: not sure yet

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: Aug 19, 16w 1d

Baby is the size of a(n): 💿 

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): pink 😊

Upcoming Appointments: not until the end of the month 

How are you feeling?: up and down, some days I feel full of energy and others I’m dead. Oh and my moods= 🎢 

Rants/Raves: we’ve just started looking into our childcare options for two kids— it’s insane. DH is seriously considering finding a higher paying job even though we have great work/life balance with his current one. 

Questions: would love insight/personal experiences of the pros and cons of kids in traditional daycare vs hiring a nanny (to be at my house only responsible for my kids) vs taking them to an in-home daycare (several kids in someone else’s home)

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? Never stop nourishing your relationship/marriage

what about parenting/pregnancy advice? Days are long but the years are short 

• Options
    wabash15wabash15 member
    edited March 2019
    @purplg8r how are you doing with drinking fluids?  If I remember your not a huge water fan... drinking more may help with the headaches. 

eta: @jmesue1030 I have only done a large daycare center but this is specifically because with my job I HAVE to have reliable day care with expanded hours (they are open from 6am to 6:30pm)  I have several friends who have tried nannies... I think the biggest challenge is finding a reliable one. Several of my friends have gone through multiple nannies in just a few months time because they are unreliable, quit for better (more pay) jobs or personal reasons. Its been tough on the kids with all the transition and tough on them because they have had to take a ton of time off work because they don't have child care. Also with in-home daycares if the provider is sick or needs a vacation (which by all rights they deserve) I have friends who have to call out because again they don't have care.. but in home daycares can be way less expensive... so I think it depends on what your priorities and needs are. I guess one other thought is if you have a child with special needs (dietary or otherwise... sometimes this might also dictate your options.) My daughter has celiacs so we have to prepare all her foods.... we had some growing pains for a while with daycare (but we were also learning too after her diagnosis) but now they are pretty good to ensure that no one else handles her food and hand washing and not giving her anything we don't provide...  
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @jmesue1030 I only have experience with a nanny full-time at home, and so far she’s only taken care of DD so we haven’t tackled the second baby yet! @wabash15 that’s so annoying for your friends and their little ones to go through so much instability. I’ve been lucky to have a very reliable and stable situation!

Hiring and managing domestic work can be a challenging world! I’ve been volunteering with an organization that supports and helps educate employers on best practices for domestic work from a social justice perspective. (Domestic workers are a sometimes overlooked population at a really vulnerable intersection of worker-rights abuses, immigrant rights, and women’s rights.) 

If it’s at all helpful in navigating this decision, I know of a free webinar coming up on March 13 on best practices for hiring domestic help: https://www.facebook.com/events/2178662129114083/?ti=ia

• Options
    @jmesue1030 I have experience in both! There are pros and cons to both and I recommend touring daycares and interviewing nannies to get a feel for what is best for your family In my opinion these are the pros and cons of each:

Daycare

Pros: 
    Open during designated hours
    If a teacher calls off they have to meet ratio and will call in a floater
    social skills (making friends, following rules, learning to sit, etc)
    eat a wider variety of foods
    Being exposed to germs is scientifically proven to boost their immune system by the time they go to kindergarten
    If there's a problem you can go to the director and deal with administration

Cons:
    Usually underpaid teachers so look for a center that pays a salary and therefore attracts a higher caliber person
    Ratio for infants (at least in my state) is 1:5 if they are not a NAEYC certified center
    The amount of times your kid gets sick the first year or two will flat out fucking astound you which means you can't bring them to daycare while they're sick and for 24 hours after

Nanny

Pros:
    One on one interaction with your kid
    They can watch the baby when it gets a cold 
    Your kid will also get sick significantly less
    They come to your house so you don't have to wake your kid up and get them ready, get them to daycare, and get to work all in the morning
    They are not exhausted and starving when you get home
    My nanny does my oldest's reading log with him so that is also done when I get home
    Close, personal relationship as long as you hire the right person, with someone you all love and trust as family

Cons:
    They can call off and leave you in a pinch (HOWEVER--my nanny has called out sick twice in 9 months and that is way less than the time I would've taken off for having a sick kid I am sure)
    You have to deal with any problems with them directly 
    Not as much structured time because it is hard to structure time with one child (although this is also a pro--they play all day long)
    Have to have food prepped for your kid
    They can quit at any time.

The other part is logistics--with a nanny, you have to pay payroll taxes on top of the salary you offer. Will you offer paid time off? How much? Will you give two weeks--one for them to choose and one for you to choose? Will they go on vacations with you? Are you willing to trust them to drive your children around (always do a driving test!)? If they're in an accident while driving your kids, will you cover the deductible as any other business would? Would you NOT cover if it were the result of distracted driving (texting, etc.)? A nanny contract is very important so looking for one and piecing together parts that are important to you is a good idea.

We had our kids in full time daycare until last June. My oldest son always thrived in daycare. He is a social butterfly and a really popular kid with a lot of friends and really loves daycare. My youngest never did. He thrives on very personal attention and struggled in daycare. We moved when he was one and switched daycares to the same center, different location. My oldest was in the kids campus for school aged kids and they were great and I had nothing but problems with the daycare. I can't even go into how bad it was but I found out they fed him dairy, which he is allergic to, twice and I can share the whole story if anyone cares, but it's long and I pulled him and hired a summer nanny while I interviewed.

I interviewed 12 people, brought three into our home for an interview. One I did not like at all. The second I thought would be a great nanny but wasn't a great fit for our family personality-wise. The third, our current nanny, I knew I loved pretty quickly, did a driving test, called her references, and offered her the job a few days later. She gave her current family a one month notice which I really appreciated because if she ever leaves us, that gives us time to find someone. Things can change, but as of right now, I don't see her leaving our family. Our kids love her, I coach her immediately if something isn't right and she changes it, and she is very close to our family. She celebrated a birthday last week and the boys and I made a cake for her and had party hats and balloons and music playing when she came in. She's just part of the family!

The other financial piece is that we still put our oldest in daycare for winter, spring, and summer breaks, but part-time, because his needs are different and that's an added expense. We are also putting our second in preschool in the fall and that is also an additional cost. We are not rich, we are child-care poor but this is what works for us right now. And the preschool is a co-op which means I will have to do free marketing work for them and we only pay $30 a week for three days of preschool. So we find things that work and do our best. 

Sorry for the long winded answer but it really is a personal choice and there is absolutely no right or wrong--I was always SO against a nanny because I loved the structure of a daycare center until that didn't work for us anymore. It is so kid and family dependent but you'll know the one when you find it!

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days:     EDD: 8/21, 16 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): Avocado

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): We have another month until we find out.  Can't wait!

Upcoming Appointments: Tomorrow I have an appointment with my midwife

How are you feeling?:  I'm feeling great.  I'm still really tired by the end of the night, and go to bed between 8:30 and 9, but I also have a 13 month old and work full time so it's par for the course :)

Rants/Raves:  Raves: We finally made out tax appointment for a few weeks from now.  We're having someone do them for the first time this year.  Rants: More snow coming this weekend.  I'm so over it! 

Questions: None currently

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? When we got married my BIL told us "may this be the day you look back and love each other the least."  It's not really advice I suppose, but I just thought it was super sweet.  Parenting advice, the cliche "days are long but years are short" has really helped put things in perspective for me.  Some moments, days, phases in development are so so hard, but remembering that they will eventually end has helped.  Also, appreciate the season/phase you're in right now rather then wishing it away and looking forward to the next phase.  IDK if any of my rambling makes sense haha

• Options
    @wabash15 I suck at drinking.  I really try but unless it’s a running day, I rarely get over 60 oz. I’m sure it’s the cause of my headaches but it’s so hard
  • Options
    @wabash15 @cato99 @lilmamabebe3 thank you all so much for your insight!! DS is almost 3 and has been in a traditional daycare since 18 months— unfortunately, his daycare doesn’t have an infant room so if we do go the daycare route, we will be changing him to a different one that the baby can also attend. I feel like I have soooo much to think about and so many options to weigh! The pros/cons list and other things to consider is super helpful! You guys are the best.
  • Options
    parrothead78parrothead78 member
    edited March 2019

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: Aug 16 - 16w5d

Baby is the size of a(n): taco

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): Green 

Upcoming Appointments: next Thursday - regular appointment & anatomy scan

How are you feeling?: All over the place. There are days I just don’t feel pregnant at all. Others, headaches are killing me and I am l-a-z-y. 

Rants/Raves: Rants: Headaches have been killing me every morning. We’re on our 563rd cold this winter (seriously - where are you spring?? 😭) Raves: Energy is up, so therefore I’m doing things and that always makes me feel better. Tuesday I cleaned all baseboards in my home & many other random things lol 

Questions: Anyone really feeling movement? Especially STM+? I feel like the quickest movements but then I question myself 🤦🏼‍♀️

I don’t even know lol that’s a lot of thinking at the moment. ^^ I did like the “the days are long but the years are short” it is sooo true 😢

ETA: size of baby - my first answer was wrong 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Options
    @parrothead78 my placenta is anterior and if its anything like last time I won't feel anything till the end of the second tri.... sorry that may not be much help.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options

Est Due Date / Weeks + Days: August 17, 16w + 5d

Baby is the size of a(n): newborn hat? lol

What team are you on (Blue, Pink, or Green): it's a girl!

Upcoming Appointments: Was supposed to have one Wednesday but our midwife was sick. We'll probably reschedule for sometime next week!

How are you feeling?: Good, actually! I finally splurged on some much needed maternity clothes and it is SO nice to feel put together and not frumpy. I've been recycling the same two outfits (leggings and a baggy sweater!) over and over and making them look different with accessories. I'm still waking up to pee at least once every night but I'm actually waking up feeling well-rested and I have energy for most of the day. Also my first trimester acne is finally healing and going away and I haven't had any new zits appear! 

Rants/Raves: No rants! Raves - I'm so excited to share the gender with our family and friends! We're having a gender reveal party on Sunday and I can't wait. Keeping this secret is torturous!

Questions: no

GTKY: What is the best non-pregnancy/parenting advice you have gotten? what about parenting/pregnancy advice? Oh goodness! I don't know if I've gotten any good pregnancy advice lol. Non-pregnancy - everything is temporary and nothing lasts forever... and it's so true. Sometimes when I'm really stressed or worried about something, or if I'm feeling stuck, I remember this and it helps me get past it.