April 2019 Moms

Randoms 1/28

Me: 32 DH: 31
TTC #2 since January 2018
Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

Re: Randoms 1/28

• I have so much I want to do at home but alas I am stuck at work. I think that extra 2nd tri energy is wearing off. I am tired at night again and just want to lay around and not so things. I still have 2 paintings left for the nursery! 

• I asked my OB today when we would start discussing delivery timing/options. He was sooo fucking vague and I’m so tired and grouchy. I know there are a ton of factors and I know that things can change week to week but I just want a “If all goes will we will induce/CS on March X.”
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had about 2-3 weeks of feeling relatively awesome (no sicknesses) well this past weekend was the weekend from hell. My 2 wonderful children brought home a stomach virus. My whole family has been puking all over the house for 2 days now. I feel awful saying this but I am so tired of being pregnant, please April hurry up and get here. I am miserable. 
  • @kosmo86 I'm the same way. I have so many small projects I need to get done before LO gets here but I have no energy (or time) to do them. 

@MRDCle I find that ridiculous, especially since my c-section date has been in place since December. 

This tiny human is so different than my daughter. She was up high, while this guy sits really low and I'm expecting a foot/hand to come out of my vagina at any time because he kicks/punches so hard.
  • @MRDCle - They said they would schedule mine at my 28 week appt. I am antsy too. I really want to date to countdown too! There is a good chance I might go early due to IUGR (like with DD) but I just want a date to plan with. 

@mrstmoose - did you get to a pick a time? or just a date?

• @kosmo86 +1 to low energy. I feel like a sleepy beached whale this morning , while DD (age 20 months) is “helpfully” cleaning by tipping ceremic mugs into the sink, throwing away ice packs from the freezer, and picking up a dirty diaper (from the trash) and putting it back into her diaper bag. I can’t right now.

@snowhite12 oh no. Healthy vibes sent.
    @MRDCle boo to vague doctors
  • @kosmo86 - since I turn 39 weeks on a Saturday, the planning went like this: they don't do scheduled c-sections on the weekends, Monday is my OB's day off, so Tuesday was the next available day. And since they scheduled me far enough in advance, I have the 8am slot. 

I'm sure unforeseen circumstances (lot of people in labor, etc) could throw that off, but that's the plan.
  • Seeee that's why I wanna get something on the books NOW as opposed to at 36w. I had been reading in some twin groups that lots of moms get their date between 28 and 30 weeks so I figured 29 was a good time to bring it up. I don't want to go in to an appointment at 36w 1d and then find out it'll be two days after. I want to be able to plan a couple days off work beforehand (one to clean and prep and one to love on DS) but if I don't find out till last minute that ain't gonna work.

(And yeah, I know this is all like, well IDEALLY. Obviously if something happens or comes up between now and then and I get less notice I won't be able to make that work either, but if possible, it would be so nice.)
  • @MRDCle I would really ask your doctor why he/she is against scheduling an induction date. At least if they aren't going to schedule, find out their reasoning. And then advocate that they are wrong ;)
  • @MRDCle okay, this is probably going to show my ignorance... but why does twins mean you have to schedule an induction or c-section? I mean... I know twins have a propensity to come earlier, but do they HAVE to come earlier? Is there a medical reason why you CANT go to term and you actually have to be induced? This is totally personal, but I was induced with my first and it suuuuuucked. As much as I really want this pregnancy over and done with, I also don't particularly want to be induced again. If I could go in to labor naturally (preferably a little early), I'd rather do that. And, while it would be nice to just know exactly when your kids are arriving, it's not like that's normal information for a doctor to provide - most people don't know when their babies will arrive, it just happens when they go into labor, which just happens when their bodies are ready. I'm not sure that I see why you'd need to press your doctor for an exact induction /c-section date. It seems to make sense that your doctor would say "let's just see how you're progressing, no need to interfere if it's not medically necessary."  
  • I'm tired and grumpy, too. Like, I just want to cry at nothing. I'm already over this week. I know I have a very bad attitude right now!
  • @mrdcle I would definitely not feel weird about advocating for yourself - you need time to plan!

They scheduled my C at my 28 week appointment and while I didn't get to pick the time or date (beyond knowing it would be at 39 weeks, wound up being 39+1 so April 12th) , I also got the early morning slot since it was scheduled in advance.  

Any tips for a first timer from you seasoned C moms?

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• @mrdcle and @professormama maybe things are different here, but they will not let a twin pregnancy go later than 37 weeks so you would be scheduled for induction or c-section around that date.  It is for medical reasons and the babies' wellbeing.  Twin "full term" is earlier than singleton "full term".  Hopefully you can push a bit on your doctor and get a date set.  "If all goes well we will induce on this date..."
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @professormama yep like @mermaidca said, I've known since about 12 weeks I won't go later than 37 since they're sharing a placenta and it will deteriorate faster and the risk of still-birth goes up for them after that point. I think the "ideal" for mo-di is sometime in the 36th week. 
  • @professormama twin pregnancies carry a greater risk to the mom past 37 weeks so *most* providers will schedule an induction no later than that. And while induction may not be the most fun (which, I don't think giving birth is anyone's idea of fun), I think it's probably safer for a twin pregnancy than a singleton. A

@sheknows6 this is my first RCS so I didn't really prep for a section with my first. My OB gave me a front and back sheet of instructions of things I have to do the day before (shower a certain way, with a certain type of soap, with freshly cleaned towels and then a whole new set of instructions for the morning of, what medications to stop taking the week before, etc), so you may want to ask what they expect from you prior to surgery. Make sure you pack high waisted pants or a maxi dress to leave the hospital in. I will wear the mesh underwear home most likely (it comes up high enough), but I may pack a special pair of underwear in case I don't feel comfortable. 
  • @mermaidca and @MRDCle okay that makes sense. Like I said, I have noooo clue how twin pregnancies progress or what the medical literature suggests is best practice. Makes sense why you'd want to advocate to set a date then. 

I've been doing pretty good about catching up on life stuff and I had a crazy productive week at work last week. Naturally, today my motivation is super low and I'm just tired and a little cranky. I have my 28 week ob apt this afternoon, and I just feel like watching TV and putzing around my house until then. I'm working from home, and ordinarily I'd give in to the urge, but I have two grant applications due tomorrow. Blah. 
  • @professormama I crave a WFH day without DS. My last one I had him with me and it was the opposite of my usual where I'm on the couch with my laptop and either netflix or a podcast on all day.
  • @MRDCle I love working from home on my couch. And I'll basically be doing that a TON this semester since I'm teaching online. Unfortunately I can't really do much netflixing or podcasting because its too hard for me to think / write with a distraction like that. At least I am on my couch with a blanket and a cup of coffee. Although now all I want is a nap. I'm usually a little more awake at the office... 
  • My 28 week appointment is Wednesday and I’m figuring the induction talk will happen. GD + insulin pretty much means 39 weeks max. I’m also hoping at my growth US this kid is no longer breech and we are not having the c-section talk. You can bet your biscuits I will be doing all the tricks to get this kid to flip if not. (If it happens then it happens but I will try to avoid it if at all possible) 

Also I want to do all the things! But I can’t cause no energy and still in limbo. But apparently nesting has sorta kicked in. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @mrstmoose - I was already told Doc only schedules for tuesday and thursday. And my 39 week is a friday so I am looking at 39+4. I am hoping that that we can be there at 8 am (i guess csection at 10) so I can drop DD off at daycare. We are hoping to keep her schedule as normal as possible plus I don't really think either of my parents can handle an entire day of DD and we don't have many people to watch her. 

• My husband is working from home today too. Instead of being productive, we are brainstorming cool vacations to take this fall. I'm thinking we need to go somewhere over Thanksgiving since he will be on paternity leave and I have a break then, but I can't decide where. 
    Options discussed so far: 
    Peru, Spain, Cuba (my husband is skeptical about the safety of this one), or Hawaii (probably too expensive). 
    My main concerns are flight time and cost. We want to spend under 1k per person, and preferably closer to $500 each, on the flight. And, I don't want to be stuck on a 15 hour flight with a 6 month old baby. I'd like to keep flight time to 8 hours or less ideally (I think Hawaii is about 9 hours from us). 
    I'll have a potential work trip to Puerto Rico next year, so that's off the list... other ideas? Where would you go? Also, ideally nowhere super cold. 
  • @professormama if Hawaii is too expensive, I would think the flight to Spain would also be expensive, but I haven't done research on it!

I've had friends who have gone to the Dominican and to Turks and Caicos on a solid budget and had the time of their life.
  • @professormama oooh I want to play. Are you near a major airport that has NYC/BOS/LAX type prices or do you need to add $100 going east/$200 going west?
  • @mrstmoose ohhh I'll have to look in to the Turks and Caicos. Spain seems to be cheaper than Hawaii because of the time of year. People like to go to Hawaii at thanksgiving. Whereas Spain is cold in November - that's not really their hot tourist season. 

@lyse01 remaining vague, I'm near a fairly major airport in the south. So definitely a little more than NYC / LAX, but still good access to international flights.

We could also go in a trip in August, but we'd have a 4 month old then, so that would have to be a smaller trip. So one thing we are kicking around, at least as a back up, is something like Denver or Boulder or Seattle or Portland in August. 

So bigger trip if we went in November, but also still limited by $$ and flight hours. Or smaller trip in August, limited by having a 4 month old. 
  • @professormama My H and I went to Turks and Caicos back in 2016. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to take my kids in the future.  We went the first week in November and the weather was perfection, hot enough to swim but not die of heat exhaustion if you stayed outside all day. The ocean was warm as well.
  • @professormama Cuba can be quite cheap - but it's also a bit run down.  A lot of their facilities are pretty old and not well kept.  My dad really didn't enjoy his time there.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @professormama I second not wanting to be induced again! Both my previous pregnancies were induced for medical reasons. The first wasn’t too bad but the second was an aweful 3.5 day ordeal ending with a blood transfusion. And since this is my last I sort of want to experience going into labor on my own. Also Turks and Caicos is on my list of places to go, I only hear great things about it 

Today is another snow day for DD (we had one Friday). It’s so bad here that my OB called to cancel my 30week appointment because they were closing the office. We can’t even play outside because of the wind chill. My kids are going stir crazy and I just want to sleep.
  • @professormama using MSY as a benchmark airport and Skyscanner as my favorite ballpark airfare app (it allows for you to put in very variable dates and no destination, then just “explore” worldwide prices): Costa Rica, Cuba, DR, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Aruba, Chile (barely), and much of Western Europe is within your budget in November.

Of those, Cuba is at the top of my list. But Aruba is awesome (I can dig out a recommended vacation rental with a suite and private kitchen, and shared pool) and allows for a mix of beach time, wild exploration (eg national park horseback riding), children-friendly activities (ostrich farm and donkey rescue), history (token national museum), great diving/snorkeling (not sure what you’d do with the kids), and yummy food. 

I’m also definitely interested in Costa Rica - again with the surf culture and potential for ancient history that I’m totally unfamiliar with. Also relatively stable politically. Jamaica is similarly intriguing - delicious food, great music, and I want to know more about the slave/maroon history on island.
  • @professormama I love Grand Caymen Island, which is right below Cuba. I've been a few times with my family when I was younger. It's a pretty chill place but very beautiful. I'm not sure how the cost of flights would compare to larger places like Cuba, but I can't imagine they're that much more. They have beautiful coral reefs, and from what I remember, it's pretty family friendly. Just my 2 cents. If you live in the south, I'm sure you're aware Nov is still Hurricane season! Although I'd still book a trip to the Caribbean in Nov since it's towards the end of the season.
  • I also love Spain, too! If flights are a good price I'd probably lean towards Europe :smile:
  • I love all these ideas! Google is also turning up Wales as a great option with kids. I've been to England a few times, but only ever a short day trip to Wales.... Japan also turns up as a super baby friendly place. But it's a 14 hour flight from where we live, and I just think that's a bit much with a 4 year old and a 6 month old. 

I looooooove planning vacations. Just thinking about this is making me very happy. My sister is in New Zealand with her boyfriend right now (apparently his brother lives there), and I'm way jealous. 
  • @professormama I’ve got itchy feet and we don’t have the option for more than a night or two out of town right now so DH is turning on YouTube travel vlogs to keep me happy and letting me plan three week treks through Italy (our eventual honeymoon), bareboat charters through the BVI, a behind the iron curtain trip through Eastern Europe, walking tours of Wales and the Camino de Santiago (also Cinque Terra as part of the Italian honeymoon), four day weekends in Quebec and Montreal, a safari, a food stall tour of Singapore and Hong Kong a la Anthony Bourdain, and excursions to remote islands (like the Orkney, Shetland, and Faroe Islands). Among others. :)

but i’d definitely look into walking some of the coast of Wales. For inspiration, an article that has stuck in my head since 2013: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/travel/slow-travel-walking-in-wales.amp.html
  • @lyse01 @professormama I  loved Costa Rica. But I’d probably be happy anywhere I got to see monkeys
    Seattle in August is wonderful, but I’m slightly biased
  • @fuzzywombat we are definitely considering just doing smaller trips. Might do Boulder in August and Seattle in November? I know that second one would be cold.... 

It's so hard and to decide! Obviously no decisions will be made today, but I'm having the most fun thinking about it and mulling it over. I'm like you, @lyse01 , I definitely get itchy feet. We are really privileged in that we get to travel quite a bit, and a lot of times I can link up our vacations with work conferences to reduce the financial burden, because then I have work subsidizing at least my flight. 

My husband has decided he doesn't want to go to the Caribbean since we have been to Puerto Rico and will likely go again next year. And we decided to rule out wales / england / ireland since in a few years there's a good chance that we will get to live abroad in england (again, related to my work). 

Belize, Spain, Peru, and domestic trips like boulder or seattle, seem like our most probable options right now... 
  • I am just all over this thread today. Just finished with my 28 week ob apt. Blood pressure is starting to creep up on me. It's still in 'normal' range, and doctor didn't seem too worried. She said it's normal to have some increase during the 3rd tri. But i was at 126/78, and it's got me feeling a little anxious. Seems early for my BP to be creeping up like that. 
  • @professormama I understand the worry! Maybe this will make you feel better?? I had a spike a few months ago - it was probably around yours or maybe a bit higher. It had me totally freaked out. Next appointment it was back down and has stayed down so far. Maybe it was a fluke!
  • @rennie1108 I know i'm being oversensitive. And it TOTALLY could be a one-off spike, or just normal elevation due to 3rd tri. It's just that I had to be induced for hypertension last time, so I'm extra paranoid about it. 
  • I would be too! I'm starting to worry because I think I'm not feeling the baby as much, but I think it's only because I'm thinking about it 24/7 when I wasn't before. I'm actually getting more worried that something is going to be wrong with baby the closer I get to the due date. Is that normal?
  • @professormama Japan is super kid friendly. DH and I went last May and we’re already getting excited about a future trip back with this little one. The flight time wasn’t bad, but we also didn’t have kids with us so I know that definitely changes things. We also did Hawaii a few years ago, Maui specifically, and it was amazing. We went during whale season in January and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so cool. 
  • fuzzywombatfuzzywombat member
    edited January 2019
    @professormama I also had a bad bp day. was really anxious for my appointment today. They took a second reading at the end of my appointment and the nurse said “well he’s not going to let you leave with that!”  I thought for sure we would be spending the morning at L&D but luckily it came down to normal after 10 minutes of listening to music and deep breathing.