February 2019 Moms

Weekly randoms (1/3-1/10)

Re: Weekly randoms (1/3-1/10)

• Do you ladies plan on taking your boppy pillows to the hospital? 
  • @nataliezbrungart I didn't take mine for my other kids. Don't plan on it for this one either. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @bellebaby221 Thanks! I’ve seen it listed on some hospital must-haves lists, and I just don’t feel like carting a million things to and from the hospital. 
  • I was actually just saying to my SO last night that I want to bring my nursing pillow this time!  It definitely is one more thing to bring, but really it will be a thing for him to go get and bring in post delivery ;p
  • @sjnsjnsjn Funny how must haves for some are definitely no for others! I never nursed with the boppy anyway so it wasn't necessary for me. Plus I was always afraid of ruining my own stuff post c/s!
  • I need to pack for the hospital. That was the one thing I didn't get to over winter break. 
  • @grebretso putting stuff in the trunk is a good idea.. i didn’t think of that. 

@bellebaby221 I need to too. Its on my list to do tomorrow. I need to get it done. you has a csection with your twins right? Did your husband stay overnight at the hospital with you? We had planned that mine would go home every night to be with DD so her routine wasnt so messed up and she could still go to preschool on her days but someone told me that I’ll need him at the hospital.. i mean with DD the nurses were in and our constantly changing and helping feed her (formula fed) and that was a normal vaginal birth. I assume they will be around again.. 
  • @cali1710 Yes I had a c/s with the twins. They were our first so we didn't have the same issue you have with one at home. But I highly recommend having someone in the room with you at night. The nurses were in and out a lot but it was so much easier having DH there to get up with them, change them and then give them to me to nurse. 
    When our youngest was born I had a c/s too. We had DH go home with the boys until bath time while my parents stayed with me. My parents would go home and then DH would come in and stay with me. In the morning they'd take the boys to preschool before coming back to the hospital. It worked pretty well. We kept them out of the hospital for all but the first day because my youngest came during the height of a really bad flu season. 
  • @sjnsjnsjn @grebretso I like the idea of just packing it in the trunk. It’s so hard to know what I’ll want while I’m there. 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited January 2019
    @cali1710 & @nataliezbrungart exactly, I have no idea what I'll want or need while there! My plan is to take my regular purse along with a bag of basics in with me to the hospital (robe, pj's, warm non-skid socks, nursing tanks, toiletries, kindle, snacks, phone charger) and then leave the rest in the car.

I'll pack a diaper bag with all the stuff I assume I'll need in a day-to-day diaper bag too (plus going home outfits in NB and 3m sizes and two swaddles), so baby's stuff will be separate from mine. H can get that later along with any other crap I decide to bring. The hospital will provide anything baby needs until we go home, so I figure no need to haul an entire carload in while in labor! I also plan on keeping both baby and myself in hospital clothes for as long as possible, I don't want to ruin my own clothes during birth or have an entire load of laundry to wash from the get-go. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I'm giggling over here thinking about the "not wanting to ruin your own stuff". I totally agree with that. What makes me giggle is DD2 was almost born in the car. My water broke on the same street that the hospital was on... The passenger seat was never the same after that!
  • @whattalife525415 Ha! Once I left a leftover burrito (in the bag, mind you) in H's backseat and the grease bled through and stained the seat forever. It was a tiny stain, but he didn't shut up about it for months. My water breaking in the car would probably kill him!

I actually have an incontinence mattress cover in my Amazon cart, I'll probably order it soon in case my water breaks while I'm in bed. Maybe I should just start wearing incontinence underwear once we get closer. :D
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I still need to get my hospital bag packed 😬. We adulted enough to dig out our camera and make sure the battery was charged, but that's about as far as we got. My problem is that I'm pretty minimalistic about clothing, so not having key pieces of my wardrobe would be tough. We are planning on picking up extra toiletries though so they're ready to go.

Packing an exclusive baby bag will be a good idea, but I figure making a list and having it nearby bags to check off will help us not forget any of our own things in the flurry of early labor.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be sufficient!
  • Lol @grebretso I totally just ordered one for our mattress too! My husband and I were reading reviews and one was about how this woman went into labor and the baby came so quickly she actually gave birth on their mattress. The partner went to change it after she and baby were recovering in the hospital, and said that nothing leaked through to the actual mattress. 

After reading that, my husband said “sold!” And we ordered it! 
  • I cannot imagine the whole water breaking in the car thing, ack!  My hospital bag has been 1/4 packed since my unexpected week in the hospital last month. I do need to pack it for real though... I am waiting for the new newborn outfits I just bought to arrive. This kid will spend his life in hand me downs so I figured the least I could do is dress him in new stuff his first week. 

@grebretso My Brest friend is what I have and I love it despite the horrid name!
  • Thank you to all who recommend the J19 post.... I was highly entertained! 😂
  • My hospital bag is halfway packed. I am due Feb 18th but my shower isn't until Jan 27th where I will be getting some essentials. Of course watch my baby girl show up before the shower happens  :p
  • We actually packed hospital bags this past week! It was so much easier the second time around. BUT now we have to make a list to post by the front door of last minute things to throw in - toothbrushes, toiletries, DS's iPad to go with him to my mom's, chargers, etc.
  • @BourbonBiscuits oh nooo I never thought about DD bag for the grandparents. 🤦‍♀️ I’m glad you mentioned that 
  • @glitterbug6 lol I think you and I are on the same wavelength! I'm not due til the 15th and my shower is also the weekend of the 26th, so our hospital bags are also only halfway packed!

• I'm headed in for a BP check. Have had a bad headache since yesterday morning. Now I'm contracting every time I get off the couch. 
    I hope not having the hospital bag packed doesn't come back to bite me. 
  • @bellebaby221 you got this it’s your 3 time around. I never had my water brake like the gush it just leaked like I had a pad on and the pad was soaked though with in 5 mins but I didn’t pee. So I definitely would start wearing a pad all the time if you not already as for a mattress cover your your about to have a new born fluids go everywhere so I’d highly recommend getting one and a couch cover. My second had  projectile  Reflux’s and it was vary vary messy we ended up having to buy new couches
  • @kenishi Awesome! I am trying not to stress out about the fact that it's so late  <3 Super grateful to be having one though!
  • @shellperry Thanks! Back home. BP was fine, 120/70. Had some protein in my urine so they drew labs too. I have an appointment tomorrow so we'll have a better idea of what things look like then. They want me to get to at least Saturday when I'm 37 weeks but it's all what little lady wants! Right now we're arranging practice pick up and drop off for my oldest boys so I don't have to be running around. Maybe I can get them to help me pack my bag this evening just in case!
  • @bellebaby221 keep us posted on the labs your so close to 37 weeks!
  • I live a min from the hospital, so my bag is as packed-ish as it will get. I just don't care. I can send my partner or their mom after anything else I need. 

Let's talk contraction tracker apps. I feel like shit and have been trying to ignore the contractions, but I should pay attention. Does anyone have one they like? 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • @episcowitch
    I feel the same...like shit. LOL. Literally for me, my stomach has felt hard since Christmas and i'm constantly in pain, i'm finding it very hard to differentiate all the aches and pains that are fading in and out right now. No suggestions on app but listening in, I should probably start tracking what i think are things.... ugh. 
  • ...did I also mention i'm a complainer. LOL. So happy and excited for little one...the good and the bad I suppose.  <3 
  • Sitting here trying to decide if I should go to L&D. Headache started to improve earlier but now it's back with a vengeance. I feel like total crap. Except if I go in all I can tell them is I have a headache and feel like junk. BP check this morning was fine. But I'm still worried. 
  • kenishikenishi member
    edited January 2019
    @bellebaby221 would a call to the triage nurse help? Maybe they could tell you whether or not to come in?

I hope you feel better!
  • @bellebaby221 when in doubt always go I would with the protein and all
  • @bellebaby221 the folks in L&D triage are there specifically to figure that out. Trust them. Let them send you home. It exists for the safety of you and babe and peace of mind. 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • @bellebaby221 seconding the other ladies, rather them send you home then find something scary going on.
  • I also live 2 minutes from the hospital so I'm in no rush to pack- especially since my last labor was 2 days long- I feel like I have time. 
    I didn't think of packing a bag for DD! Glad you guys brought that up. 

I'm more worried about cleaning. I am waiting for the urge to nest comes so I can deep clean,I dont have the energy now and I know ppl will be all up in my house come baby time.
  • @bellebaby221 are you feeling any better? Totally agree with the other ladies go get it checked out and let them send you home. Hope you are feeling better!
  • @jgrodo Yes started feeling better while I was waiting for my DH to get home. Migraines suck especially when you're pregnant. Hopefully my labs come back ok tomorrow. 
  • Labs are all good. Liver and kidney function totally normal. No protein in the urine today either. Just a bad migraine that's apparently stressed out my body for the past few days. BP is good too. 
    So looks like baby girl is staying put for now!
  • Just finished getting our hospital bags packed today! I have one for stuff for labour, mostly snacks and PJs and iPad etc. Then a bigger bag that has mine DH's and baby's stuff in it that we can get out of the car later. I like the idea of having the nursing pillow in the car in case I want it! Def throwing that in.

Also putting an extra tote bag in the bigger bag because I plan on stealing as many pairs of mesh undies and pads as I possibly can lol. Public health care = my taxes paid for it somehow so there
  • Just bought a large box of diapers and wipes to keep DS1 covered with daycare during the newborn phase of this coming baby