July 2019 Moms

Ask a STM+ January

13»

Re: Ask a STM+ January

• @julybaybay - we had just moved to another state away from all friends and family when our daughter was born. It was tough and I wish we would have hired a mother's helper or babysitter earlier.
    As far as hosting family, I was dreading it but 2/3 of the parents that came to stay were super helpful. My MIL....was not, haha. Luckily, my husband ordered a lot of takeout and put his foot down when he could see I was getting upset over her hovering and hogging the baby (seriously, she stood behind me and critiqued me changing a diaper but didn't feel the need to change any herself). I would try to anticipate who you think is going to be helpful and have them visit first, and probably not for at least a week after you deliver unless you're comfortable being topless/emotional/a hot mess in front of them. The ones you're more worried about, I would make sure you and or your partner stress that you will need a lot of help and they're not just there for baby snugs and to be waited on (ie "we're so happy for you to come! We cant even keep our heads above water so you're going to be a great help!"). Also don't be shy about asking them to stay in a hotel if needed (MIL stayed in a hotel from then on because I just couldn't.)