March 2019 Moms
Options

Randoms 12/24

2»

Re: Randoms 12/24

• Options
    @mayoduck wow, good job! We STILL don't have the backsplash installed, more than a year since we replaced the kitchen :disappointed: It's really hard to find contractors willing to take up the job, they consider it too small! DH finally got someone to come and check it yesterday, and he got a ~$10k quote, for April! Based on the numbers he found online for our region, it's actually normal! If that's a small job then I don't know what a big job would be from the cost perspective!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mihaelams1 laying tile isn’t too difficult, you might be able to learn at a workshop at a home improvement store. You might also have better luck looking for a handyman than a general contractor.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @mihaelams1 $10k to install kitchen backsplash?! That's absurd! I agree with @meggyme , it might be worth looking into learning how to do it yourself at that price.
    Our kitchen has been almost done except for backsplash for probably close to two years. We just either couldn't find a tile we liked or didn't make it a priority. I'm really loving it, though, so I'm so glad it's finally done!
  • Options
    @meggyme @mayoduck there are a few challenges in our case (like, they moved an outlet when installing the kitchen and DH patched the hole a bit, but it needs more reinforcement, and a licensed contractor since there might be electrical work involved), then they cut a bay window to make it flat and there is now a gap between the window and the counter. We have a piece of granite countertop which needs to be cut and fit in there once the tiles are up. DH asked for time to think, we know our neighbor did it by himself after he couldn't find a contractor, and said it was insanely hard and would never attempt again... They are back next week from vacation and DH wants to ask him for details. 
    As for the price, I think it was 7k for installing the tiles and 3k for the other work I mentioned above. Something like that. Along my daily commute road there is a sign from a company looking for tile setters and paying $50 an hour plus benefits. So yeah, the numbers are crazy but actually on par with the average for the region.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If you have a Costco nearby you could check there, too! They have subcontractors for a reasonable rate that also gives you a percentage back in a Costco cash card. We got new floors in April through them, and it was pretty much the only reason we got a Costco card! 

Eta: I put in about 6 hours of work so far this week with 2 training sessions. It seems pretty easy once I get there computer system and lingo figured out. It also seems like there will be more video calls than I expected (which I am not really into and may make the doing it with an infant part harder, but hopefully there is less once I'm trained). 
  • Options
    @abbykwail yes, we got new floors and carpets through them last year. We're regulars there and go every Saturday to stock up, I love Costco! As far as backsplash tiles go, I think DH checked with them in the first place and they didn't have any availability. But I'll ask him again tonight.

• Options
    @mihaelams1 very brave of you to go to Costco on the weekend!!  Lol we only go midweek to stock up because it can get so crazy!
  • Options
    mihaelams1mihaelams1 member
    edited December 2018
    @abbykwail we get there at around 10:30-11, when most of the samples are already out, but the parking lot isn't full yet. DS1 loves to try new food :smile: This Costco is only 2 years old, and there is another less than 15 minutes away from it, so it's not usually very crowded.

ETA: plus we live relatively close to it (10 min drive), so it's very easy to get there. 
  • Options
    Finally caught DH and DS’s cold (they’ve been sick for like a month...) and I feel a bit like I’ve been hit by a truck. I’ve been up multiple times a night the last two nights to blow my nose. So, basically I’m just a whiny mess 😂
  • Options
    @lelkcot - oh no!! after a month, you should have gotten away scot free. :cry: Hope you can vanquish it quickly!
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    So I have found that older generations don't seem to 'get' BabyList. Both my MIL's are hosting separate baby showers and despite my giving them a link to our BabyList and saying "This is the registry URL", they put Amazon and Target only in the invites. My fault, I guess, I probably should have either not used BabyList at all or only used BabyList. Luckily, I only have a handful of items in there and only the crib sheets are really important so we can definitely just buy  those ourselves if no one else does.
  • Options
    @mayoduck my invite says registered on amazon and my grandma in Connecticut called my mom, who is in Colorado, and asked her to print off my registry for her. Oh well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Options
    @Kenneylynn3 that is such an adorably grandmother-type request! 
  • Options
    A friend of a friend recently invited me to an Usborne book party. Sounds like another one of those ponzi scheme companies, which I don't usually like to put too much into but she says she highly recommends the books and of all things, I always like to support a healthy habit of reading. Anyone have any experience with Usborne books?
  • Options
    @mayoduck I honestly love usborne books and have a minor addiction to them. Pretty sure I was singlehandedly keeping my friend’s business going for the first few months. I have only explored books for 2~4 year olds but they have an adorable “that’s not my...” touch and feel series, cool/educational flap books, as well lots of unique story books. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    @mayoduck I don't usually like direct sales companies, but the Usborne books are amazing! I got some during a friend's party, and they are still among DS's favorite books. We have "that's not my train", "my first book about the orchestra", "my first book about food", "first picture math" etc. Totally worth it. Alternatively, you can find them used at consignment sales (look for Just Between Friends in your region) for lower prices.
  • Options
    mayoduck said:
    A friend of a friend recently invited me to an Usborne book party. Sounds like another one of those ponzi scheme companies, which I don't usually like to put too much into but she says she highly recommends the books and of all things, I always like to support a healthy habit of reading. Anyone have any experience with Usborne books?
    Love Usborne books. They have books for all ages. I’ve been buying ones that my 2nd grader can read on his own. They have educational ones that are fun. If this is your first baby, it’s the perfect opportunity to stock up on books for baby. My friend from church sells them, so I’m going to reach out to her to help me stock up for baby. That’s one area we weren’t good at with our son and want to do better this baby. Thankfully our son seems to like to read so we encourage it now.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, so much positive feedback! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the books, @bdesterhouse @mihaelams1 @mamakate1616 . I'll definitely have to get a couple books to try out. =)
  • Options
    The Usborne flashlight books are fun!
  • Options
    OMG, major mansplainer on why not to circumcise in January! https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12738891/circumcision-is-not-your-choice#latest
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    @catlady2015 woooowwww that is so random and rude! What a creep!
  • Options
    @catlady2015 I saw that! The ladies are handling him quite well, but he’s too stubborn to get a clue 😅
  • Options
    I had to butt in there. I just couldn’t help myself... he basically posted the same thing on the babies 0-3 months board. 🤪
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he hit up each BMB as we approach our due months. Maybe it’s part of his New Year’s resolution? lmao 
  • Options
    WTF! What's he even doing around here??? Is he due in January, lol? 
    I had no strong opinion on the topic 3 years ago, so I just asked DH and let him decide for DS1. He went with no circumcision. No videos required from a random creep on the internet!
  • Options
    @mihaelams1 - DH decided here, too. The whole premise was crap, like smart people will listen to some random dude on the internet poking his head in others parenting decisions. 😂 
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    Wow! That thread. Didn’t even read it all, but the nerve of him! Like, why don’t you set up shop in front of an OB office and see where your opinion gets you? Get a clue...
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited January 2019
    I didn't even realize it was a guy! Didn't pay attention to the username, just assumed woman since most of the users here are. 

ETA: oh that's a BMB! He's just spamming. He also posted in 0-3.