June 2019 Moms

Ultrasound therapy @ chiropractor

I hope someone can allievate my worries.

Yesterday I saw the chiropractor for sciatica pain. He did ultrasound therapy on my butt cheek and thigh. Today I find out pregnant women aren’t supposed to receive ultrasound therapy because it can cause death of the fetus or birth defects.

Does anyone know anything about this? What is the likelihood of damage to the fetus?

Re: Ultrasound therapy @ chiropractor

• Did you ask your chiropractor and/or OB about this? I would prob check with them rather than the internet. Does your chiropractor not know you are pregnant? I would think if they are a licensed chiro They wouldn’t perform therapy that was unsafe for their patients 
  • I would think a chiropractor wouldn’t do something unsafe as well, but he did know I’m pregnant and he did perform this on me. After the fact I thought I’d like to know more about the procedure and everything I’m reading says it should never be done on a pregnant woman. To me it seems negligent, but that’s irrelevant at this point. Obviously I will ask my OB when I see her. I’m more looking for words of wisdom from a woman who knows something about ultrasound therapy or who had it while pregnant and their child turned out fine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think this is a great question for your OB. 
  • @frenjay there might be some women here who have been through this but after a quick google search I would highly suggest calling your OB rather than asking “when you see her”. 

Also, if you plan to stick around here please introduce yourself on the intro thread pinned at the top of this board and read the “read this first” post. We have a great community here who will offer amazing support if you’d like.