May 2019 Moms

Questions for STM+s Week of 12/5

13»

Re: Questions for STM+s Week of 12/5

• @fuscok88 doing a VBAC this time around is actually my OBs idea! I do not think I was cut unnecessarily last time, it was definitely a necessary situation, but I'd love to avoid it again. I do think recovery would be easier for a repeat though, mostly since I'm expecting it to happen and won't be blind sided like last time.

• @DuchessOfCambridge I kind of remember talking about your first birth before though it's a bit fuzzy. I didn't mean to imply your situation was unnecessary. Sorry if it came off that way. Mine was the opposite sadly. It was the direct result of unnecessary intervention but I didn't know any better or have the support to stick to my guns since I didn't have my son's father present. That's awesome your provider is supportive! I've heard VBAC recovery is better than RCS which is better than emergency C which completely makes sense. 
  • Loading the player...
  • When is the cutoff for flying, does it vary by airline? Realistically, I know I probably can’t go but my cousin is getting married on 4/13 in FL. I’m due 5/9. 
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @MelissaMay82 I don't know about the airlines, but my doctor doesn't like me to travel after 32 weeks. She made an exception for me to drive somewhere at 36 weeks, but she didn't want me to fly.
  • When would be the best time to buy nursing bras?
    What are the best brands to buy? ( i think this was discussed a little bit but i cant fond the conversation)
    has anyone tried the lifefactory baby bottles?
  • @MelissaMay82 as long as you have a drs note, I don't think an airline will deny you. That being said, I would not have wanted to travel past 30 weeks via airplane unless it was a very short flight. Sitting like that was pretty uncomfortable for me by the beginning of third tri.

• @MelissaMay82 I believe most airlines have 36 weeks as a cutoff, but its generally advisable to check with your doctor.  How long of a flight would it be for you?  Like @DuchessOfCambridge said, its not very comfortable to sit for long periods once you are that far along.  And also being your first pregnancy, its so hard to say how close you will be to delivery at that point.  
    I am a terrible example for this, as I do have a 10 day trip booked to visit family, flying home when I'm 35w5d.  This is my 3rd baby and my previous pregnancies have both gone well past 41 weeks so I'm not too terribly worried.  I've also been pretty comfortable up until the late stages of pregnancy so I plan to wear compression stockings and walk the aisle a fair bit but otherwise am not terribly concerned.  I did, however, make sure to book fully cancellable flights should I feel differently closer to the trip or in case a medical reason for not flying should arise.  I have close family (my dad, grandma, and aunts/uncles) where we are going to, so if anything happened while I was there and I couldn't fly home, it really wouldn't be the end of the world either.  These were all factors in my decision to make the trip at that point in the pregnancy.  
    When I was 36 weeks pregnant with my first I did do a 10 hour (each way) drive to DH's grandma's for his grandpa's funeral.  I was just past 37 weeks when we drove home.  We stopped often and took our time, but it was nbd.  My doctor had assured me beforehand that I was perfectly healthy to do so, and in her words "Babies can be born anywhere.  Just go to the nearest hospital if you have any problems."  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @justharrison I would wait until 3rd tri to buy bras. Boobs during pregnancy/early-postpartum are crazy and unpredictable. Best brand depends a lot on your size and preferences. I am a 36G when not nursing, and I paid to have my normal bras altered into nursing bras. 
  • @justharrison I would also say wait until the third trimester. Even in just the couple of days after I came home from the hospital I went up at least a cup size. I bought s/m/l sized bras that were like sports bras so I had some wiggle room. 
  • @mcewen3 It would be a 3 hour flight. I will be 37 weeks at that point. I could either do direct or have layovers. It probably isn't a good idea to go, but it looks like it will be such a beautiful beach wedding.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @MelissaMay82 as hard as it is, I would skip flying at 37 weeks. I flew at 17 weeks with DD and was super swollen and could not drink enough water and it was the “easiest” time to fly. I think you would be miserable flying at 37 weeks. I’m scheduled to go to a work conference in DC in April at 33 weeks and I’m planning to pull the pregnancy card and stay home. Im sure there will be some in My office who guilt me bc they flew at 34 and 36 weeks recently, but I don’t care. I’m 39 and “high-risk” bc of it and I’m sure my DR will write me a note if need be.
  • :D

@MelissaMay82 There's a wedding in NYC when I'll be 37 weeks I was sooooo excited to go to. Once we got pregnant we knew right away there was no way we were going. The doctor wouldn't approve it if we asked but I wouldn't want to, anyways. It's cross country for us to get to NYC but it's DH's college roommate (there's a big group of them that were in an 8 person suite) and the weddings are always so fun, they were going to get to meet DD for the first time, another roommate's wife just had a baby a few weeks ago. Sigh...I'm sad. I do know a friend who had a wedding in Spain (where her husband is from originally) and her sister flew there at 38 weeks pregnant but she was a doctor and wanted to go to the wedding so...idk. I flew at 24-30 weeks last pregnancy and was comfortable on 5-6 hr flights for the most part up until 28 weeks but miserable at 30, so I imagine after that I wouldn't WANT to even if I could. At 34/35 weeks my doctor was willing to write me a note for my grandmother's funeral but I decided not to fly as I'd just been home (that flight at 30 weeks) and seen her knowing it would be soon.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker