May 2019 Moms
Options

Questions for STM+s Week of 12/5

Re: Questions for STM+s Week of 12/5

• Options
    Was is an actual epidural and not an intrathecal? When I had my 1st, that hospital only did intrathecalas (ITNs). I could walk with the ITN.  I had an epidural with my 3rd and couldn't move my legs at all.
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds That's insane if they can do that, then they should do that for pregnant ladies!!! I sure as hell am not getting an epidural again because I wanted to move around so bad. Probably would have prevented using the vacuum and all my tearing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @chloe97 from what I have learned from friends in Canada, I compare their healthcare a lot to military healthcare. I don't know the answer for Canada. But in the military, you really can't sue for malpractice. You can try, but it's either going to settle or be dismissed. There was a guy who went in for a routine gallbladder removal, the surgeon punctured his aorta and it resulted (somehow though I didn't read though whole description) with him coming out of the surgery with both legs amputated. I just looked it up and his name was on a list of military members whose cases are settled or dismissed. It didn't say which his was. 
  • Options
    Oh, and I should also mention that it's said in the article that VA disability compensates well for disabilities. I can't imagine military members who go through sentinel events at a military hospital will be denied 100% coverage, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were given less. In my case, I receive military retirement through the air Force. I applied for VA disability because this is truly something that affects me terribly in every day life. I can't function for more than 3 months at a time without becoming debilitatingly depressed and/or anxious. It's horrible. The VA scheduled me for several appointments, but never told me where or when these appointments were, or even that I had any. No mail, no calls, nothing. I was apparently just supposed to guess? When they denied me, they denied me because of that, and because "we do not believe that your ailments are service related." I claimed the things that I receive medical retirement for (in hopes of a higher percentage) BECAUSE THEY WERE DEEMED SERVICE CONNECTED. It's infuriating. And I'm sorry, $2000 a month is nothing for having your freaking legs amputated during a cholecystectomy. No way. 
  • Options
    Oh, I have a question for moms who have had 2+ already. Was each labor quicker than the last? Did each come earlier? And was each bigger? 

These are all totally old wives tales, I think, but I just want to compare. 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds my second was faster and earlier (and easier... ended up being a successful vaginal birth rather than dilating all the way just to have a C/S), but about a pound smaller at birth.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    I feel like I should add having GD isn't fun by any means but it isn't the end of the world either. Mine was able to be controlled by diet. It's basically limiting carbs and making sure you pair carbs with protein. Once you figure out how to do that it's relatively easy. I had to check my sugar after every meal and kept a foos log to see what causes spikes. I was still able to eat some ice cream, pizza, etc it was just limited. Everything went back to normal after I delivered. 

When I was pregnant with my first, a body builder/trainer was pregnant with me at the same time. She was diagnosed with GD and ended up having to do insulin. She was in amazing shape, had an impeccable diet. No history of anything. It caught her completely by surprise. It's all hormones. I'll also add that she went on to place at a swimsuit competition 9mos after giving birth. It was crazy! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat yea, I've heard too many instances of people with no risk factors in very good shape getting it and being SHOCKED to risk not doing something, personally. That's why I'm still trying to understand how SIL didn't do it. She never said her doctor was okay with it, just that SHE didn't want to.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @nopegoat WOW! That's really awesome, thank you for sharing! I went to 40+5 with my son, he was 8lbs8oz 21.5in. My labor was about 7 hours. My early labor was like a month though 😂 I didn't realize I was in labor because I'd been having contractions identical to what I was experiencing for months by then. I'm interested to see how this one is. 2 hours scares the shit out of me. That was basically getting to the hospital and getting into a room for us. 😬
  • Options
    @brie_and_almonds did you have a VBAC?

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds only my first was delivered by an actual Dr. The others were delivered by my nurses. We pulled into the hospital 25mins before my last one was born.

I went into preterm labor at 31wks with my 1st so I feel you about being in early labor for fucking ever lol! My fingers are crossed its easier this go around. 

I will also say recovery for each one has been so much easier than my first. However the cramps with my uterus contracting back down after delivery were much more intense each time! With #3 and #4 it was like labor all over again. Definitely don't be afraid to ask for meds and stay on top of them. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat you're so consistent! 
  • Options
    @nopegoat. YES!  I'm so not looking forward to the afterpains this time.  I hardly noticed with 1 & 2, but they were awful after #3 and I've heard they only get worse the more kids you have.
  • Options
    @nopegoat you're so consistent! 
    It's kind of ridiculous. I totally called the exact date my 3rd was going to be born as soon as I found out my due date lol. Even made sure to fly my mom in the day before and have her watch my boys because I made my H go to that appt lol. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @fatmonica yes with #4 I had full body shakes because of the pain. Definitely asking for Tylenol immediately after with this one. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds
    DD1, 38w1d, 8.5 hours, 7lbs 5 oz
    DD2, 37w5d, 3.5 hours, 6lbs 8 oz 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    Honestly with my HG I’m considering skipping the tests altogether this time and only doing the monitoring/having my A1C levels checked. I absolutely could not keep the drink down last time but they still made me do it. I was a FTM last time and didn’t really understand the alternative options at the time or realize that I had a say in the matter. 
  • Options
    I've heard some practices let pregnant women eat a giant breakfast instead of the drink. I haven't looked into it myself and I can't eat much right when I wake up but it does sound intriguing

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge my sister in law works for an ob and her office gives alternate options. One is to eat a huge bag of skittles in a set period of time. She said it sounds like a great idea but almost everyone who tries regrets it.

@nopegoat that's impressive! Did you have a guess for this time too?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a shorter everything this time😂 I went 41+1 and a 36 hour labor but it wasn't natural, it was induced. We don't really know how my body will do on it's own this time without being forced. Apparently these after labor contractions are a concern though? I didn't feel anything last time because of the drugs from the csection. Is it just like labor but continuing after?
  • Options
    @fuscok88 I never thought they were that bad. Whenever I would nurse, I would feel light contractions. But to me they didn't feel any different than early labor/bh felt. 
  • Options
    @fuscok88 What I have always been told is that the afterpains get worse with each child you have, and in my experience I would agree. I didn't notice them with my first, and they weren't bad with my second. But they were a lot worse with my 3rd and I'm expecting them to be pretty bad this time.  
  • Options
    @fuscok88 no. #4 messed up my pattern lol and came later and on his own lol.

And exactly what @fatmonica said. They get progressively worse with each child. They don't start immediately after labor. It's usually several hours later when the adrenaline wears off that I really start to feel them. 

, 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I feel like I'm getting ready to do this for the first time again, lol. 
  • Options

I believe you can sue for malpractice here though it happens really rarely. I think it’s really hard to win a malpractice suit. But I actually have no idea. 

@eatinwatermelonseeds my two labours were vastly different in terms of time. 18 hours for my first, a whopping 4 with my second. However, they were very very different births, so it's hard for me to say if the short birth was a STM thing or a result of one of the many other factors.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @k2k2tog that's how it is in the military, too. You CAN sue for medical malpractice, you're just not likely to win. Which, I'm sure the medical care is much better there, but in the military it's kind of scary. It's almost like they just don't even care because even if they mess up, it doesn't mean anything. I don't know, that's just my opinion. If I hadn't been so paranoid with my son and I had just listened to the doctors at the military ER I went to 3 times, my son could've died. It may have been completely innocent, there was no way to know that his cold was going to get that bad, but it took the civilian hospital all of 3 seconds to look at him and see he was in severe distress and get him admitted and on oxygen. And I begged the military hospital just the day before to admit him for monitoring and the doctor refused. We passed by her in the ER as he was being transferred to the ICU. I cannot even imagine what was going through her head, she was frozen watching us, but I was pissed. 

Okay, big tangent to say "yeah, same here, it's kind of scary" 😂
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds
    DS1: 40w5d, 7lb8oz, about 8 hours of "real" labor, but days of "false" labor preceding
    DS2: 40w3d, 7lb4oz, 2 hours from first contraction to birth, hardly any time pushing
    I also have this weird thing where I dilate and efface really early, but my kids are never early. I'm kind of freaked out about it because any less than 2 hours and I'm worried about a car baby if I go into labor during rush hour.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @misskimsue I’m terrified of a car baby too. I’ve only had one but was 4 cm for a few weeks before he came (at 41 weeks) and labor was only 2 hours and 45 minutes from first contraction to birth. 
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited December 2018
    I am just amazed at these quick labors for #1. I was in labor for 23 1/2 hours. Once I got to the hospital around 10pm I was 5cm (right after my water broke at home) and it was still 8 hours before DD was born.

ETA: I did get an epidural around midnight and take a 3+ hr nap :D

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    My best friend had a 3DAY active labor with DS1.  DS2 was born in the car, after about 2hrs of active labor. With both she had been having prodromal labor (aka real contractions that start and stop, and don't build to anything) for at least a week. DS3 was a planned homebirth, just in case things went as quickly as #2. 

Her story, plus my history with DD1 actually makes me anxious. I had several days of prodromal labor, but only a few hours of active labor. She was born 3hrs after my water broke, and only about 90min after we got to the hospital at 8.5cm. 
  • Options
    @aels12 I was also 4cm dilated for weeks before going into labor (both times I believe). Bring it up with your doctor; with my second child, the doctor definitely told me to forget about "5-1-1" and just get myself to the hospital after my first contraction. It was good advice that I'm glad I listened to! I went right away and was already 9cm when admitted.

@kvh22 I'm not really sure how to classify my first labor. I was admitted to the hospital the day prior to the birth with contractions every 2-4 minutes. They showed up as "contractions" on the machine and they kept me overnight, but I just didn't progress that much. These also weren't the kind of contractions that I couldn't talk through, but they were "real" and "consistent" in some sense. They told me they could induce me, but that it wasn't medically necessary and that I would probably naturally go into real real labor within a day or so. I decided to go home and did come back a day later for the real deal. I said 8 hours because that was the time from my second admittance to giving birth, but I don't want to downplay how much of a pain the time before that was.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge yes, I did have a VBAC, mostly thanks to the wonderful L&D nurse I had. I'm hoping for another one this time 🤞
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @brie_and_almonds I may be asking you ALL the questions as we get closer to delivery if you're okay with that

• Options
    @brie_and_almonds same as @DuchessOfCambridge I'm also hoping for a VBAC this time. Hopefully we all get them/get another one! 
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge and @fuscok88 VBAC crew! Idk how helpful I'll really be, but I'm open to whatever questions you might have
    kids with flags
  • Options
    I'm just having so many feelings about it. I want to try because it feels like my last shot - I don't think it's really a thing to have two CS and then a VBAC? Maybe it is, idk. Regardless, I feel like my body is stronger after one CS than it will be after two. I originally wanted an epidural ASAP in case I have a RCS but then I'm like - if it IS my last shot, maybe I should go for the med free birth I wanted in the first place? I did love my epidural though. This is not stuff I really need help with, just me thinking out loud. I'm glad I have 25 more weeks to think about it, ha.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I have heard of people doing "VBA2C," but I think it's much more rare. For me, I'm 100% glad I did it, and recovery was much better, especially with a toddler running around at home. I'm trying to be in a place mentally this time where I will be okay with either outcome, because after my C/S I had a lot of upset/negative feelings because of how things played out, which was really no good.

ETA: I forgot to add, I was alllllll about the epidural. I know for some people they can stall labor, but for me it helped me to relax and let my body do its thing.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge it's definitely not unheard of to have a VBAMC you just need a supportive provider which I've read can be hard to find depending on where you are. I know Facebook is a no no this early but there are sooo many groups for VBAC, HBAC, VBAMC etc. From everything I've read advocating for yourself and support is really key. It sounds like a lot of women go their whole pregnancy thinking their dr will support a VBAC to get the switch in the last few weeks. The risks from a RCS greatly outweigh those of a VBAC or VBAMC. I don't want to overdue the statistics and whatnots but yea, I'm a little passionate about not being cut unnecessarily again and other women not being pushed or scared into a potentially unnecessary major surgery. There are ICAN chapters all over the US, theyd be able to give you more info too. 
  • Options
    I refused a 1st tri glucose test this time. I had to switch OB’s because I moved (which is fine, I wasn’t in love with my old OB). My 13 week appointment was with a very young doctor in the practice I had never met before. She admitted halfway through the appointment when I pressed harder with questions that she didn’t even read my chart before coming into the room. She didn’t explain to me why she thought I needed the early glucose test besides “it’s recommended for women who had 9lb + babies.” 

I pushed her harder for additional information—are no other factors considered? Like how I’m 6’0 185 pounds, my husband is 6’3, she was born at 41+3, passed the glucose test with flying colors AND I was nearly an 11 pound baby myself?!? 

Shit pissed me off and I threw the paper out for the lab work as I walked out the door. 

I will be taking the one hour “standard” test and hopefully that’s it. 

Also... strep b test most DEF did not go up my butt last time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker