June 2019 Moms
Options

FFFC 11/30

Re: FFFC 11/30

• Options
    @meatballs37 - no judgement on using the preseed - that's just resourceful.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm mobile only on the bump and sometimes my phone thinks it knows best on what I want to say so I try to proof read everything but sometimes I see what's wrong and just don't care so I leave it.
  • Options
    @srscott3 I gave DH the responsibility of deciding that one with DS2. He was on the fence until he sat through a seminar about complications with uncircumcised penises. He was so horrified by it that he has been team circumsize ever since. I don't think anything I could say would change his mind either. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I’m curious what the complications are! I’ve only ever heard the potentials for circumcisions. 

I guess my related confession is that when DH and I were out to dinner the other week, we spent the time googling the history of circumcision and discussing it. Probably very educational for our neighbors. (I’m also leaving it up to DH; he seems ambivalent.)
  • Options
    @Bababatty complications with uncircumcised come from improper care. Like it needs to be cleaned. The foreskin needs to be retracted so it doesn’t adhere and gotta make sure it’s put back or it can get stuck and cut off blood supply. Both of which can require surgery. 
  • Options
    @meatballs37 I use aloe vera gel with my doppler. works great
  • Options
    @mkfolse22 :open_mouth: Well that’s terrifying! I knew it has to be cleaned but had no idea about that. We’re definitely planning to look more into the pros and cons of both sides. 
  • Options
    I really don’t want my mom involved in raising my child. She won’t listen to me when it comes to my DOG, why would she listen to me when it comes to my child? “Mom don’t feed the dog table scraps at the table or at all.” “Oh it’s just a little bit of chicken! It’s fine!” And then she gets mad that my dog is jumping on her at the table and breathing her stinky dog breath on her. 
  • Options
    Sorry if I scared anyone about circumcision. I did not intend to do that. I was just telling the story of how my husband decided. 

Also a note about boys.....they are disgusting. Especially teenage boys. I have always taught my son to have good hygiene but that boy thinks nothing of going a week without a shower or even brushing his teeth. One day I nearly puked bc of his breath. They do not care and you can tell them all day long to clean there penis properly but unless you are in their making sure it's getting done, you have no clue. 

I'm not saying all boys are like that but a lot of them are. I'm appalled sometimes and so confused bc I have always taught him good hygiene. The smells are so awful. 🤢

All these things are also likely contributing factors to DH's decision. 
  • Options
    I let my DH take the reigns on the circumcision conversation because I felt, well, I don’t have have the equipment so how can I fully understand? He researched and decided in favor of it. I supported his decision for the same reason.
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I think it’s good you brought it up. Makes people think and take the time to research. It really is a big important decision and should be thought out. 
  • Options
    I agree it is a personal decision. If this baby happens to be a boy, we aren't going to do it at the hospital. Instead we plan to go to a urologist to have it done. They numb the area fully instead of just providing sugar water. Plus, we want to leave the hospital asap. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I completely agree with @mkfolse22--thank you for bringing it up! We're Team Green, but these are good things to think about. I did wonder what one does when your kids are in the awkward hygiene stage of you're no longer cleaning them but they somehow haven't mastered proper cleaning themselves. Not looking forward to those years!
  • Options
    @bababatty I have to treat him like a toddler and make him brush and floss in front of me. As far as his penis, I'm not micromanaging that. 
  • Options
    I know its Saturday, but the circumcision talk inspired me to share something that I know is unpopular. 

I've come to believe that circumcision should be the individual's choice.

H does not agree. It will be an issue if we have a boy.
  • Options
    Re: circumcision. We decided not to do it, mostly because the benefits just aren’t significant, so why would we put our son through that and incur the downsides? But to any US moms who DONT want it done, be extremely clear with everyone of your doctors and his and all the nurses and everyone who comes in your room basically that you do not want it done or else they might end up doing it without your permission. It’s still standard enough practice that if you don’t make a big deal out of it they will do it as part of the regular newborn care. They nearly took my son to get circumcised even though we were absolutely not having it done. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    @bakerstreetboys really? Everyone i know with a boy got asked in hospital if they wanted it done. I definitely know my nephew was while they were still admitted. Its just not covered by our health care plan
  • Options
    @canuckbaby Maybe it varies from province to province. Most of my friends have boys too, and no one has had their son done, nor were they asked. It even goes back a couple of generations where no one has had it done!
  • Options
    To add my two cents: My nephew was not circumcised at birth but had a very long foreskin. Despite his mother cleaning him as best she could, the length of the foreskin made it hard. It wouldn't even roll back till 2y, and then it caused him some pain. The doctors thought it would sort itself out (he'd grow into it?) but by 7y he'd had several infections and was still having trouble pulling it back to clean properly etc. He had a circumcision at 8 years old. He's now 18 and if you ask, he's happy he had the operation done. Say's its a lot easier, though there are some differences he said he had to get used to-TMI. His opinion is that if he did not have the problems he had, he'd have been happy being uncut too. 
    I've left the decision up to DH. I think unless it's medically required, we wont. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing your opinions regarding circumcision. My SO and I hadn’t talked about it before but we did last night. I think we’ve decided not to circumcise if our baby is a boy. 
  • Options
    I have a friend that's due to have a little boy any day and as a couple they can't agree on this. She's from the Ukraine, they don't really do circumcision there, or most of Europe really. He on the other hand wants his son to be like him. I don't really envy them that argument. Thankfully my husband and I are on the same page. 
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 that’s crazy!  We planned to have it done privately outside of the hospital, but did not get the impression that anyone at the hospital was pushing it on us.  I think we were asked once if we wanted it done.  We live in a very Jewish and progressive city (and are Jewish ourselves), so I’ve heard it’s actually NOT that common to have it done in the hospital here.  There’s a trend towards not having it done anymore, and also a lot of the people who do have it done want it done outside the hospital. 
  • Options
    I personally think it should follow whatever dad has as they will be most relatable. 
  • Options
    Lol @Dcwtada hmmm i might have to try that out but my husband is usually into stopping somewhere for himself so i generally benefit from that
  • Options
    ridermissusridermissus member
    edited December 2018
    Perhaps a circumcision thread should be started?
  • Options
    There always has to be one....
  • Options
    I really need to remember the qfp button.