June 2019 Moms

FFFC 11/9

Confess your deepest secrets.
Or just about the extra dessert you had so I can have dessert envy.
I'm not picky.

happy birthday candles GIF by Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Re: FFFC 11/9

• This one is really tame. I haven’t been able to eat any foods I normally enjoy because of ms. But last night, I had not one or two, but three different vivid dreams about me pigging out on food. Two of them were about regular food and dessert and the last one was all about candy. I think I may have a food problem...
  • I voted for FL Governor out of self preservation. I work for a non-profit and one candidate openly wanted to reduce our program. Uhhh. I like my job and the work I do for the community.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only reason I'm at work today is so I can hoard as many sick days as possible to get paid longer during my leave at the end of the school year/beginning of next. We have a half-day for students (teachers work a full for report card prep). I teach resource room (special education) and already have all my progress reports done. On top of that, we have two separate assemblies today so all but one of my groups is canceled for that. I will see students from 8:45-9:15 and that it...and I have to work until 3:40. 

Buuut...like I said, hoarding sick days. I will miss 8-10 days to end the year and then I am taking 12 weeks off in the fall so I want as many of those to be paid as possible. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Prob going to land me on a post-it, but here's mine: I want a C-section. My mom and my sister both should have had one and for whatever reason didn't. Mom was two weeks overdue with me, and labor lasted upwards of 48 hours, and she begged for one but was told "you don't really need it" and "that's just pain meds talking" but later was told she should have had one and they were a few minutes away from an emergency when I finally decided to give up and come out (basically, that's the un-science-y version). My sister had 24+ hours of labor after being induced, and stalled during pushing, and wound up with some unimaginable tearing that took several hours of surgery to repair, to the point that she was told that any future pregnancy would be very risky for both herself and her baby. After the fact her OB said he probably should have made that call but "wasn't sure if she'd want that". I know two anecdotes are nothing compared to the billions of women who give birth vaginally, and C-sections aren't without risk either. But I'm so terrified of the thought of that happening (DH and I were both huge, so if history is any sort of predictor -- and since this one keeps measuring more and more ahead of schedule, I'm nervous it is -- we could be having a big kid) that I'd rather just take the different path altogether.
  • @Erin1510 i am hoarding sick days too. But i get 6 months worth and reaccrue every pay cheque so if I use one its replenished by next pay. I am also hoarding vacation days. I get 5 weeks to use starting April 1. I plan on holding on to as many sick days and vacation so after I come back from 3 or 4 months of maternity leave (DH will take the remainder of the 9 or 8 months) i can still do lots of long weekends or work almost part time without affecting my pension
  • @ki1244 I get the fear surrounding vaginal birth. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be traumatic! I promise! I was induced at 34 weeks and though my story has a lot of other drama, the actual delivery went smoothly and I am grateful I was able to successfully deliver vaginally. Have you heard of the Birth Hour podcast? I highly recommend. An amazing compilation of different birth stories from diverse women. You’ll get to hear all about women’s experiences, from c-section to vaginal to everything in between and it might help with the fear. Personally, I think it’s impostant to work through the mental blocks of “I don’t want this or that” for birth because it’s a whole other animal of it’s own that does what it wants basically lol
  • Valid fear, @ki1244. I will say, I had a c-section with my first and a VBAC with my second. I won't go into details, but the VBAC was not a "pleasant" experience. However, I will 100% do another VBAC this time. I think I just need the complete process? I was in labor for 27 hrs and pushed for 3 with not first, so I had the process the first time. Not sure why I feel that way, other than major surgery is no joke and I want to avoid it if possible. 
  • I'm still pretty sad I had a breech baby so I didn't even get the chance for a vaginal birth (had contractions for a day though before they let me have the c-section almost two weeks before the due date).  I did not heal well and felt so robbed of being able to hold my baby more and walk with him the first week, and so many outings I said no to over the next few months because I couldn't handle it. I remember being in just too much pain to get up and watch them give him his first bath. Ah, still a bit bitter.  
  • @Erin1510 I pulled the exact opposite this week, and took a sick day just so I didn’t have to come up with a reason for having another doctor’s appointment! My work wives know we were trying for a baby and I think they were getting suspicious when I had a bunch of follow up blood work...

My sick days don’t roll over at the end of the year and I refuse to lose them, so I took a day to get some stuff done and home and not end up stressed when my doctor was inevitably an hour behind schedule. 

Also, Halloween candy. I bought it for myself and I’m not sorry. 
  • @nmbrcrnchr1 I have also felt very well defined pokes and wondered the same thing.
  • I know with my second pregnancy I felt a flutter I knew was her at 12 weeks.
  • I'm having sushi tonight. All cooked stuff, but still..
  • @ki1244
    I feel like that is a legit fear. My first labor was 26 hours. I stalled about halfway through. I don't think the nurses took enough care to watch things for me.  When they finally called the on-call OB to come in to deliver, she determined DD was turned 90 degrees the wrong way almost immediately. Why the nurses didn't see this, I have no idea. They couldn't get her turned and I ended up delivering her with a 4th degree tear and internal stitching to my right vaginal wall. My recovery was horrible and I was told not to deliver vaginally again. 

I had an emergency c-section the second go around (twins, although one was still delivered vaginally). It ended up being a classical c-section. I got a uterine infection 24 hours after. And yet, I think the recovery was still 100 times better than my vaginal delivery.

I am not saying this to scare you. But with your family history, I would definitely make sure to advocate for yourself during labor if things aren't progressing. I WISH I had spoken up during my first labor, but I was so tired (up for over 48 hours by the time I gave birth because I didn't go into labor until 7 the night before and had been up all day already). My midwife was on vacation too, which was just horrible luck for me. 

You never know, you could have a rather easy delivery! I think if DD had come down the birth canal the right way, I probably would have said the recovery from that one would have been easier than the c-section. 
  • I hope I’m not piling on here and I think your fears and preferences are valid. And every story is only good for the person telling it. But I had a very long labor - 36 hours from first true painful contractions until delivery. I ended up with a 3-4th degree tear (she told me in the room a 3 but later charted and told me it was probably a “mild” 4th degree. Just to say it was bad but not near what it could have been). I thought overall the recovery was mild. I took one or two norco, but then just stuck with anti-inflammatory meds and all the tucks pads/dermoplast. And heavy on the stool softeners! 
    Its not up to me, but my biased recommendation would be to go into it open minded and maybe have a conversation with your doctor (and the doc delivering you if it’s a different person) about your feelings and maybe have a lower threshold for deciding to section. Neither is more or less but they’re definitely different with a huge range of normal. All the twisting and bending with a newborn, I was thankful I didn’t have an abdominal surgery to recover from. 

Id like to check out that podcast. Sounds interesting!
  • This is my 5th baby and I have had some sensations that felt like it could be baby. I don't like to say it is until it really is though. I also think about all the phantom flutters/kicks I feel after all my pregnancies. They feel so much like an actual baby moving but I know it's just my bowels and gas. I fully expect to be feeling actual flutters soon though. I mean, those of us at the beginning of the month are about to enter the 2nd trimester soon. Eek!
  • I just ate a turkey and ham sandwich for dinner....
  • My first two babies were both born with less than two hours of painful labor and 5 hours all together. With both I was too far along for them to give me pain meds no matter what my preference by the time they got me into the delivery room. My biggest fear here is that it'll happen during rush hour and I won't make it to the hospital in time. 
  • Thank you gals for all the kind words and support. I know that can be kinda touchy, especially since I'm just going off of gut feeling rather than actual evidence (aaaaaand still have a little while to go... heck, I still haven't even MET my OB, just a nurse and ultrasound tech). But I appreciate you sharing your stories and advice. Makes me feel a little less hysterical to think about that stuff!

@Dcwtada that is TOO funny but so right... could not love yours more.
  • I’m not talking to my friend who lives in Atlanta and didn’t vote. 
  • @ncm1919 Oh man, as someone who lives in Atlanta, this irks me! This election was SO close, literally every vote counts.
  • @ncm1919 that would have honestly bugged me too. I get mad at my best friend bc she doesn’t vote and we live in WA where elections aren’t generally even close.
  • @ncm1919 that is a valid reason! 

@ki1244 it’s such a personal decision. I’m glad you feel better after talking to us. That’s what we are here for!