July 2019 Moms

Odds of NOT Having a Miscarriage

edited November 2018 in July 2019 Moms
Stolen from April '19, which was stolen from March '19 via Sept. '18.

---
(July '19 edit x2)
***TW: This post contains miscarriage statistics for women who are pregnant for the first time. For some of us, especially those who have experienced losses, especially multiple losses, and people who have made it past 12 weeks with a loss, these charts may bring more anxiety and sadness than relief and comfort. For loss moms, being reminded of this chart can bring back the shame of “What did I do so wrong to be in the minority?” when in fact losses are far more common than this chart leads you to believe. 

To loss moms: You have every right to feel anxious, to be sad & angry that you’ve been on the other side of this chart. It’s okay to not be comforted by these. Lean into your support system. Whatever you need to do to protect your heart is okay. Your uterus does not have ears. Whatever you’re feeling right now is valid, understandable, and will not impact the outcome of this pregnancy. 

Original post continues below. Thanks to @jrm_14 for the TTCAL perspective. Best of luck to everyone on this journey, no matter where you are.***

---

Hi ladies,

This is the chart that I look at daily. All credit goes to @l4rk for the following: 

I've noticed that no matter how many times I look up miscarriages rates, I walk away feeling only slightly better (at best). I'm the kind of person who finds reassurance in statistics, but for some reason, all of the existing posts weren't doing it for me. And then I realized why: articles on miscarriage focus on the chances you're going to miscarry and all the comments share miscarriage stories--they don't focus on how many people DON'T have miscarriages and go on to have happy, healthy babies! 

I adapted this week-by-week chart and modified it so that it would focus on the positive rather than the negative! Since I found the positive spin benefiting my peace of mind, I thought it might benefit some of you too.

ProgressProbability of NOT having a miscarriage
3W, 0D67%
3W, 1D67.10%
3W, 2D67.40%
3W, 3D68%
3W, 4D68.70%
3W, 5D69.70%
3W, 6D70.80%
4W, 0D72%
4W, 1D73.50%
4W, 2D74.80%
4W, 3D76.40%
4W, 4D77.90%
4W, 5D79.50%
4W, 6D81.10%
5W, 0D82.70%
5W, 1D84.20%
5W, 2D85.60%
5W, 3D87%
5W, 4D88.30%
5W, 5D89.50%
5W, 6D90.60%
6W, 0D91.60%
6W, 1D92.50%
6W, 2D93.40%
6W, 3D94.10%
6W, 4D94.70%
6W, 5D95.30%
6W, 6D95.70%
7W, 0D96.10%
7W, 1D96.50%
7W, 2D96.80%
7W, 3D97%
7W, 4D97.20%
7W, 5D97.40%
7W, 6D97.50%
8W, 0D97.60%
8W, 1D97.70%
8W, 2D97.80%
8W, 3D97.80%
8W, 4D97.90%
8W, 5D97.90%
8W, 6D97.90%
9W, 0D97.90%
9W, 1D (and on)98%+

ETA Stats from Expecting Better based off her research. Reversed to show positive side.

6W                     ~89%
7W                     ~92.5%
8W                     ~94.9%
9W                     ~96.5%
10W                   ~97%
11W+                 >98%

Overall odds of making it full-term based on Expecting Better:
~95% if no previous miscarriage. 75% with previous miscarriage (does not matter if multiple or not). She implies it's likely higher than 75% if using progesterone supplements but doesn't have the stats for that. 

Re: Odds of NOT Having a Miscarriage

• I’ve seen this on a few boards, love this perspective! Thanks for sharing
  • Loading the player...
  • @jrm_14 I appreciate your perspective, and you're absolutely right. I definitely did not mean to drum up shame or sadness in recurrent loss moms. Do you mind if I go back and edit my OP to include some of the things you said here? Should I add a TW within? What does everyone else think? 
  • @jrm_14 OP has been edited. Hopefully future BMBs will adopt our version. 
    Thanks again for sharing your perspective. Thinking of you and all loss moms/IFers  <3
  • @NicholeL16 I wholeheartedly agree! I love our openness and willingness to discuss our pain with each other... I knew there was no ill-will meant by this post, and honestly having experienced a loss of my own... I found it comforting to read. 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• I just don’t know why it matters to people that aren’t in our group what we post. Why not let us manage our own group?
  • More information about these statistics is available if you click through the link. Below is copied and pasted from the source page.

--

Notes and disclaimers

All numbers are estimates. If you have better research, drop me an e-mail (spacefem@spacefem.com).

I used information from two studies to make my assumptions: Wilcox AJ, Baird DD, Weinberg CR (1999). "Time of implantation of the conceptus and loss of pregnancy." and Wang X, Chen C, Wang L, Chen D, Guang W, French J (2003). "Conception, early pregnancy loss, and time to clinical pregnancy: a population-based prospective study.". I was not able to obtain full access to the second one, but based on citations I believe I had the numbers I needed for this.

The studies analyzed [600] women who were trying to conceive for the first time.

There is a page of good studies here: https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/miscarriage-general that compares risks based on age, whether you've heard a heartbeat, previous miscarriage, and hosts of other factors.

• @indulgentgypsy same here! This actually made me feel more positive which I wasn’t expecting. 
  • mamabear0619mamabear0619 member
    edited November 2018
    @gbud630Same, first time mom here as well. I found comfort in the post since I've been very anxious. Be kind
  • @coco2787 I too have been a part of the bump for years. I’m very close with my last BMB. We frequently travel from near and far to connect in person. If you’re part of this group and aren’t comfortable with this post that’s something worth talking about. I think the original poster has edited it to accommodate everyone to the best of her ability. I think the women in this group are strong confident women and can speak for themselves. I don’t think lurkers need to come in and try to dictate what is posted.
  • Also, I don’t feel attacked. I think we are just having a conversation.
  • @hestia14 I don't fault you for posting the chart, I know it pops up on every BMB and people who post it have good intentions.  I appreciate the edits you made and for being understanding of people who are upset up the chart.  

@NicholeL16 yes, women can speak for themselves, but I imagine the reason more loss moms haven't spoken up about how they feel about the chart is because they aren't even opening this thread. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @coco2787 I see that as a positive thing. The post was titled appropriately so those that don’t want to see it don’t have to open the thread.
  • I have been on pregnancy boards for a long time and I know that 99% of the time, people post things to support and help others.  No matter what we write, there is the off chance that someone is going to be upset or offended by a post.  The intent of this post is to help those with normal pregnancies who might be anxious about this unknown first trimester, feel better about what logically their statistics are.  However, with that being said, there are a lot of pregnancies that do not fit into that normal box.  Clearly any mom to be who has had a loss is going to be outside of these statistics and will be much more cautiously optimistic when it comes to their pregnancies.  As a pregnant mom to be who is over 40, I know that these statistics are not correct for me either.  However, does it bother me that this post is here? No.  Am I happy that it will give some people comfort? Yes.  Does this post somehow show that we are insensitive to the feelings of those who have experienced loss before or those with a complicated pregnancy?  In my opinion, no.   With that being said, everyone is entitled to their opinions and those who do not feel it is applicable to them have every right to share their opinion or simply scroll past.  But I know that through online dialogue, feelings can be unintentionally hurt as things come out just that much harsher when they are typed rather than spoken.  
  • I am a loss mom and I choose to find comfort in this. I’d rather have hope than anxiety and stress through the time that I do have in my pregnancies.
    No one is ever completely going to agree on anything, but if people find comfort in it.. is that such a bad thing? I think it has good intentions and titled appropriately.