January 2019 Moms

November STM Check-in

2»

Re: November STM Check-in

• My DD1 would go poop on the potty at 18 months and then stopped. She just refused to use the potty for the longest time. I would ask her all the time, when will you use the toilet!?! She would tell me, 'when I'm 3.' And the week of her 3rd birthday, she just started using the toilet. But if you know her, this makes perfect sense, lol. DD2 turned 2 in Sept. And has used the potty a handful of times but isn't fully ready. She doesn't stay dry overnight, tells me after she pees but not before, and hides whiles she poops but doesn't want to get fresh right away. I figured it will be eaieas to wait until she shows more signs and after the baby comes. 

As far as the leash, my DS1s grandma used to say, we put our dogs on a leash because we love them and to protect them. Why wouldn't we do the same for our children? I try not to judge other parents because you just never knowthe temperament of the child or what other needs there are.
  • We started potty training dd a month before she turned 3. I'd say 2 months later she's 95% potty trained, and the only reason I say 95% is because she's in a pull up at night. And we could probably switch her to underwear for overnight because it's been at least 2-3 weeks since she's woken up with a wet pull up but we're not quite ready to risk it. My sister in laws son is 27 months old and she hasn't started yet. I forget what book she borrowed me but it does say that there are factors you should look into before starting, and sleeping through the night is one of them. He still wakes up several times during the night so she's waiting until he gets better at that to start a new challenge.
  • Loading the player...
  • @vallies86 I feel you on the 95% my son is 4 and he was 100% potty trained but he goes through spurts where he has 2-3 accidents a night for a week or two, then months of dry. It's so strange. So, to be safe, we put him in a pull up at night because changing the sheets in the middle of the night was NOT my friend!
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • As far as potty training, it is different for each child. My 2 girls were 2.5 when they wanted to potty train, and my son was 3 before he was interested. In the long run it doesn’t matter how old they were so long as they end up potty trained. The age of being potty trained does not relate in anyway to future accomplishments or brilliance or anything. So why not wait until they’re ready?
  • I didn’t potty train my daughter until she was 3 years 4 months. Sure I felt a little guilty she was over 3, but she just wasn’t interested and didn’t want to at all. Finally she showed interest in trying and peed on the potty a few times so we decided to try. She day AND night trained in one week for pee and poop and it was so easy. It’s been 9 months now and she never has any accidents. We never had to do pull ups or anything. She just got it and it worked. I definitely have no interest in forcing it until she wanted to. Sure it wasn’t fun paying for 2 kids in diapers for over a year, but I’d do that any day over having a potty training battle and dealing with accidents! You will know when they are ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• kmos816kmos816 member
    edited November 2018
    @snackheart I would suggest starting a discussion about it and look at some articles together, MH was losing patience with DD once and really screamed at her, after bedtime and he had some time to cool we discussed it and he was just really stressed with work stuff. You could also take a parenting class (virtual or in person). I would frame it as you want the two of you to be on the same page with parenting, especially as yours are getting older and having another on the way.

*edited for grammar!