January 2019 Moms

GTKY: what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

What is your favorite part of your Thanksgiving meal? Either your favorite dish or something yummy you make!

Re: GTKY: what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

• I’m going to go with mashed potatoes! I make the Pioneer Woman mashed potatoes and it is SO good.  <3<3<3 

• I make southern style macaroni and cheese. It’s so deliciously creamy and cheesy DH says it’s his favorite food. I’m also a sucker for DH’s fried turkey though and the cranberry relish I make every year... 

basically all thanksgiving foods lol. I’m already strategizing how I’m going to make this year’s meal work within my GD diet guidelines. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • DLpanda08 said:
    I make southern style macaroni and cheese. It’s so deliciously creamy and cheesy DH says it’s his favorite food. I’m also a sucker for DH’s fried turkey though and the cranberry relish I make every year... 

basically all thanksgiving foods lol. I’m already strategizing how I’m going to make this year’s meal work within my GD diet guidelines. 
    What makes it southern style? I’m going to need that recipe! My hubby and daughter love macaroni and cheese 
  • Stuffing and my SIL makes a pecan pie with whisky cream sauce that is amazing! Unfortunately we won’t see her this year so not counting on that pie (unless I make it...).
  • Stuffing and my SIL makes a pecan pie with whisky cream sauce that is amazing! Unfortunately we won’t see her this year so not counting on that pie (unless I make it...).
    That sounds incredible! You should totally make it!
  • DLpanda08DLpanda08 member
    edited November 2018
    @sushilove15 southern style is baked macaroni and cheese vs. stovetop versions made in other regions. 

My recipe is modified from Patti LaBelle’s: 
    • 1 pound elbow macaroni
    • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
    • 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
    • 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
    • 2 cups half-and-half
    • 1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta , cut into small cubes
    • 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
    • 1 teaspoon seasoned Salt
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1. Cook the macaroni until al dente and drain. Do not rinse. 
    2. Melt 8 tbsp butter in the cooking pot and stir in cooked macaroni 
    3. In a large bowl, stir together half and half, cubed valveeta, eggs, seasoned salt, pepper, and shredded cheeses (reserve 1/2 c of the cheddar).
    4. Stir cheese mixture into buttered macaroni 
    5. Pour macaroni into prepared 13x9 inch pan and top with the remaining cheddar cheese 
    6. Dot top of pan with 1 tbsp of butter
    7. Bake at 350* until hot and bubbly.

ETA: I normally double this recipe if I’m serving more than just the 4 people in my family.
    married 7.11.09
  • Mashed potatoes with gravy and DHs Italian Aunt’s sausage stuffing!
  • pttomatopttomato member
    edited November 2018
    My favorite was stuffing. I liked green bean casserole too. Our thanksgiving food this year will probably not be very exciting since a lot of my family eats low carb and a salad just doesn’t have the same “thanksgiving” feel to it. And our weird family tradition is that we always have to have pickled okra on our relish tray.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Give me all the mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing! I would be fine eating just a plate of that. But turkey with gravy and homemade relish 😋 I can't wait.
  • Gravy, it's all about the gravy
    Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Stuffing, for sure! My family's recipe is awesome, if a bit labor intensive.  Normally we have Thanksgiving at the in laws, and I'll make stuffing for 25 people.  I'm SO glad we're staying local this year so I don't have to make it myself, but can still enjoy it. 

Also, my other grandma makes a sweet potato casserole that contains an obscene amount of brown sugar, and is so delicious. I haven't had it in years, so I'm really excited for it.

Basically, thank God I passed the 3 hour glucose test, or Thanksgiving would be so depressing this year lol. 

• @DLpanda08 That mac and cheese recipe sounds so good! 

• Stuffing for sure. And I’m the only one who likes it. More for me.  
  • Yes! @jgil85 I love green bean casserole too! With extra crispy French fried onions on it! Yum! I love mashed potatoes too! 
  • @DLpanda08 that sounds amazing!! I’m not going to lie, I’ll probably make it this week, I am craving macaroni and cheese now. Thanks for sharing the recipe! 
  • @DLpanda08 that sounds amazing!! I’m not going to lie, I’ll probably make it this week, I am craving macaroni and cheese now. Thanks for sharing the recipe! 
    You’re welcome! It’s seriously delicious and not hard to make at all. 
    married 7.11.09
  • Green bean casserole definitely. I use Alton Brown’s Recipe - “Best ever green bean casserole” except the recipe calls for making your own fried onions and I just used the premade kind instead. 

Also so last year I went to a Friendsgiving and someone made either sweet potatoes or yams with marshmallows on top- yum! Not a usual dish in my family but I’m totally gonna try and get the recipe to make it this year!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @Rachel2066 that sounds like sweet potato soufflé or sweet potato casserole. If that’s what it was then you definitely need it in your life this year! Sooo freaking good! 

married 7.11.09
  • +1 for stuffing!! I also like turkey, but only if it's cooked well and not super dry
  • Stuffing, I like the stovetop stuff. Also all the peanut butter pie, and pumpkin pie!
  • Stuffing/dressing is my favorite! I love my grandmas and could eat the whole bowl! I really need to get the recipe from her 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mashed potatoes, especially mixed with pieces of turkey and veggies. Also, my grandma makes "special potatoes" that are to die for. Some people call theme cheesy potatoes...

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Stuffing is my favorite with mashed potatoes being a close second. I make a separate little ramekin of stuffing for DH sans onions because he hates them. 
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing. My mom makes the best stuffing! It’s so fluffy but the granny smith apples she uses give a nice crunch. So yummy! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • +1 for stuffing! I usually make a cornbread stuffing with diced apples, dried cranberries, and sometimes add in some Italian sausage. Second fave would be sweet potato soufflé, and now I’m super hungry 😋 
  • Ham! I've made it the last few years and it's a hit. Slather in honey/brown sugar, torch until crispy, repeat until you have a thick, sweet, crispy bark. :tongue: 

Also my mom makes the BEST turtle pie. Chocolatey, caramel goodness. Mmmmmm. I usually have her make a whole extra so I can bring it home lol. Depending on how my GTT goes this month, I may have to skip over having an entire pie lol but I'll be damned if I don't at least have a generous "slice".
  • KabazabaKabazaba member
    edited November 2018
    This thread is making me so hungry. I am surprised I don't think I've seen any desserts! So, pie. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie. Pie for dessert, pie leftovers for breakfast. Pie. #shockedIdon'thaveGD

ETA: I did see a couple other people mention pie, but down the list! C'mon, it deserves 1st place in your heart. At least one day a year.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @Kabazaba ohhhh the next morning it's ALWAYS pie & coffee for breakfast. So good. Is it lunch time yet?
  • Stuffing and green bean casserole! I'm a green bean casserole snob and like to make my own fried onions and mushroom sauce. My sister is making it this year, so I don't have my hopes up.

I make a slow cooker stuffing with applesauce and it's sooooo good and easy to make!
  • Oh gosh. I'd say all of Thanksgiving food. I'm not big on homemade stuffing though, I like the stuff without fruit and nuts and wild rice in it. I love turkey though, rolls, mashed potatoes, squash, mmmmmm. Pumpkin pie! So hungry now lol.
  • @VallieS86 oooh rolls!  My husband’s family always makes the canned crescent rolls. That was new to me for thanksgiving, but how can you not like warm bread??  

And im totally on board with pie. I volunteered to bring pies for thanksgiving this year - I need to figure out what kind to make!
  • I make pecan pie bars which are so amazing and not as sweet as a whole piece of pie,  which is all I need to satisfy my sweet tooth! I look forward to them every year. 
  • My grandma makes the best sweet potato casserole. Its basically dessert. The sweet potatoes are really sweet and she tops it with candied walnuts- none of those gross marshmallows :p And my mom makes a really good carrot casserole. That's about all I eat at Thanksgiving. Not a huge fan of other stuff. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • kianarain said:
    @Kabazaba ohhhh the next morning it's ALWAYS pie & coffee for breakfast. So good. Is it lunch time yet?
    That sounds so good right now!!
  • On the radio yesterday the hosts were discussing some survey of Americans' favorite Thanksgiving pies. The first was apple, the second was pumpkin, and the third was chicken pot pie.  What the heck is that nonsense? I could maybe see Turkey pot pie as an option for repurposing leftovers, but since when is chicken pot pie a Thanksgiving dish?!?

• KLS123KLS123 member
    edited November 2018
    A dish my mom calls "Company Potatoes" that is basically grated potatoes mixed with sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese and baked in a bubbly casserole....so freaking good

ETA: I love leftover turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce on Hawaiian rolls probably more than I like actual thanksgiving itself
  • Green bean casserole all the way. 

Though honestly it’s more about the overall combo to me than anything. I like each bite to have a bit of mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey, cranberry sauce, and corn or the casserole. 

Also leftover open faved turkey sandwiches with gravy and stuffing. Mmmmm.
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• cornbread stuffing by very long shot! Also @pttomato 100% there has to be pickles okra on the relish tray or I’m going home. It’s sooo expensive in California though bc no one eats it down here :lol: