February 2019 Moms
Options

The hospital bag!

Some of us are starting to think about what should be in the hospital bag even if we're not planning to pack it just yet.

What goes in the mom bag, & baby bag?

Thoughts, opinions, must haves...

Re: The hospital bag!

• Options
    Thanks for starting this @cass06_07!!

I’ll post my whole spreadsheet when I’m not on the app, but the essentials/weird stuff (off the top of my head ...) a gigantic cup with a flexible straw, good toilet paper (I will always maintain that any hospital stay is a reason to BYOTP), travel size toiletries (something luxurious), nursing tanks, prenatals, chapstick, cozy socks and something loose but warm to wear home. I was so hot when I arrived at the hospital and soooo cold when we left (DS is a February baby too). Totally underestimated the warm clothing I’d need. I also brought a lot of stupid stuff that I’ll edit out this time
  • Options
    notthecheatnotthecheat member
    edited November 2018
    I really didn't end up needing as much as I thought with DD. I was even in there for 4 days (labor + CS recovery). Hospital provides a lot and I was too busy/exhausted to be bored. If I really needed to occupy any time I just watched the tv in the room.

My list this time:
    -going home outfit for baby (snuggly sleeper), a few baby blankets for carseat b/c winter, a few pacifiers
    -going home outfit for me (basically sweats. Comfort over couture here), a couple nursing tanks
    -hairbrush, hair ties, deodorant, face wash
    -maybe a few makeup items (there will be pictures taken!)
    -contact lenses/glasses
    -wallet, phone, charger, purse, obvs. 
    -maybe a few snacky snacks

(Disclaimer: I am a big planner and love to be prepared, but am also very low maintenance. E.g., I rarely wear makeup, don't use a hair dryer, etc.)

It's a good idea to check ahead of time what your hospital provides in L&D and postpartum. My hospital provided: meds, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, breast pump and accessories, formula if needed, mesh undies, pads, diapers, baby bath items, swaddler (miracle blanket I think?), hats, onesie. I just wore hospital gowns and socks the whole time until discharge pretty much. With DD, I didn't get nursing tanks until my mom took me Target after discharge. This was because I was told to wait to buy nursing clothes until after my milk came in to get correct boob sizing, and also because you don't know how much "baby weight" you'll gain until you gain it and it doesn't come off. This time I'm going to get at least a couple tanks ahead of time in my anticipated size.

I am going to pack what I can ahead of time, and leave the list on top of the bag to add to/check right before leaving. 

ETA: for reference, DD was a December baby (in the Mid-Atlantic US)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    okayestmom12okayestmom12 member
    edited November 2018
    Here’s my list. I’m a c-section mom and with my previous 2, I’ve spent 3 nights at the hospital but plan for 4 (which is standard here - I’ve just begged to go home early). 

A lot of what you pack will be up to you. I’m an absolute overpacker and would rather be ovwr prepared than under. For example, some people keep their babies strictly in the hospital shirts/ blankets but I prefer to use sleepers/ my own swaddle blankets. 

I also think it is wise to actually pack 2 bags. One for when you’re in labor/ having the baby and the other for your DH/ partner to fetch after your settled in your room. I put my wallet, HBA stuff, camera, and chargers in the first bag and the rest goes into the other bag that DH grabs once we are in our room. 

Sidebote: check to see what your hospital or birthing center provides. For example, ours doesn’t have pacifiers so we pack those. I’ve heard of some not offering some OTC meds (like colace). 

Hospital Bag Packing List
    - small wallet w/ ID, med card, debit card, $60 cash
    - DSLR w/ backup battery
    - Jim’s laptop bag w/ laptop & cord & card reader
    - iPhone & Android chargers (*10 ft cords because the accessible plugs are sometimes pretty far away from bed)
    - snacks (Jiff Power Ups, Cliff Bars, One Bars)
    - water bottle (*personally, I drink more water when I have a water bottle with a straw so I find this helpful vs. pouring little styrofoam cups of water)
    - HBA: makeup, lip gloss, brush, hair clips, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, perfume, body lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, Always Infinity pads, straightener, EMAB nip butter, nip pads
    - my pillow (*put a bright or patterned pillowcase on it so that it stands out and doesn’t get confused for being a part of the hospital linens)
    - Boppy
    - PP clothes (nursing nightgown, robe, 5 pairs black undies, 2 pairs black leggings, 2 pairs black yoga pants, 3 nursing tanks, 3 open cardis, 3 nursing bras, 4 socks, slippers)
    - coming home outfit for me (maternity leggings, nursing tank, open cardi, socks, Uggs)
    - felt board, swaddle, hat for announcement
    - 3 sleeper/ hat/ swaddle/ pacifier combos
    - going home outfit
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    These lists are great!  I’m also very low maintenance and didn’t bring a ton to the hospital but I sure did steal a lot lmao! Some things to steal in addition to list above:

-dermaplast spray (or whatever it’s called) really handy for spraying on your cooze as it recovers.
    -sitz bath basin - I didn’t take this last time and I regretted it.  After delivery vaginally and having a tear/stitches, the sitz would’ve come in handy to soak my bits.
    -all the pads (personally I didn’t like the mesh undies)
    -baby stuff including diapers blankets etc and formula bottles if they provide them.  I plan on formula feeding so if they provide me with the little bottles I’m going to take a bunch

lastly for packing-I packed a pacifier for LO in addition to everything else 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    the random one: water bottles for you and DH, snacks for you and DH.
  • Options
    would a small rolling suitcase hold what i Need to bring? Like a carry on size one? Or is that ridiculous? I do prefer being able to see my stuff all organized versus digging on the bottom of a duffle bag
  • Options
    For those hoping for unmedicated birth, I’ve been told to also bring a yoga ball and a yoga mat, because they make it easier to get into weird labor positions that can help with pain management and baby positioning. 
  • Options
    I bought 4 pairs of Muk Luks slipper socks just for the hospital. I can't keep my feet warm with just socks and it helps with walking around on those slippery hospital floors. 
  • Options
    Really, there isn’t much we will need. Boppy and bring home outfit. Maybe a few baby blankets. Nipple butter and soothies. Nursing tank and some yoga pants. My meds, iPad, charger. 

@jessier19 - they have those at our hospital so no need to bring. It’s worth checking. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    Oh and a beer. With DD, I had a check list and we prepped weeks in advance. With DS, DH threw stuff together while I took a shower and threw up. I then finished putting the stuff together, we threw the car seat and base in the back of the car, and left. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    edited November 2018
    would a small rolling suitcase hold what i Need to bring? Like a carry on size one? Or is that ridiculous? I do prefer being able to see my stuff all organized versus digging on the bottom of a duffle bag
    A small roller would work. But I mentioned in my reply that having two separate bags packed can help because then you don’t need to lug everything in right away. Just some food for thought :)
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    Agreed with the two bags @okayestmom12 - the nurses said to only bring the essentials in until we got to the recovery room but we’d only packed one bag so DH was frantically pulling things out when they were hooking up my IV. Interestingly enough though, our birthing suite was about twice the size of our recovery room
  • Options
    I agree with what others have said. I personally wanted to be in my own clothes ASAP. I loved wearing a nursing tank and a zip up hoodie. It was super easy to nurse, I still felt clothed, and I stayed warm. I definitely had snacks and waters packed. I invested in a 6 or 10 ft phone cord which came in handy for the hospital and all those long days/nights nursing. Take everything the hospital offers! But try to keep what you bring kind of minimal. If people are visiting you will likely end up having flowers, gifts, etc to carry out at the end along with your bag!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    bww_0331 said:
     If people are visiting you will likely end up having flowers, gifts, etc to carry out at the end along with your bag!
    I forgot to add that I pack a reusable tote bag in my stuff to have DH us to take stuff home with him - gifts, anything we swipe from the baby pram  etc. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    I couldn’t believe it was time to think about this already but now I’m actually really glad because I’m totally going to just copy someone’s list and give to either a friend or my H to put together 
  • Options
    This is baby 3 for me. This topic has deteriorated to a bag with a few changes of comfy clothes and a ton of extra space to take home stuff from the hospital. I haven’t any clue which bag I’m taking and I probably won’t figure that out until it’s time to go to the hospital. Lol With DD, I had two bags (one for me and one for her) packed two months in advance. With DS1, I had one small bag with lots of extra room packed two weeks in advance. We live 8mins from the hospital. DH can bring anything I need after DS2 is born. Anything you bring, you have to keep up with until you get to your regular room. It just wasn’t worth it to me. 
  • Options
    As a labor nurse who sees moms deliver every day and has had two babies of my own, I second the “luxurious” toiletries that someone posted. Postpartum period is my absolute least favorite time because my body just feels so gross so I try to take things that give me a little ego boost when I need it most. I plan to take my favorite chapstick/light colored lipstick, minimal makeup, nice socks/slip on shoes, Small lotion bottle, my own pillow, bra pads, cute nursing tanks and cardigans, dry shampoo!!!, last baby I took a tight control top tank top to wear under my shirt to go home so everything felt a little more controlled in the stomach area, etc. I have baby’s hospital bag packed already but I will pack my own bag around 35-36 weeks and then I can throw in extra last minute things when I go into labor. 

I may very well be too exhausted to use half of this stuff but you never know. Usually I’m tired of laying in bed by the second day and want to clean up for visitors, pictures, etc. and these little things help me feel more myself. My patients always comment to me how much better they feel once they get showered and cleaned up after delivery. 
  • Options
    Agreed with the two bags @okayestmom12 - the nurses said to only bring the essentials in until we got to the recovery room but we’d only packed one bag so DH was frantically pulling things out when they were hooking up my IV. Interestingly enough though, our birthing suite was about twice the size of our recovery room
    Agreed. I just bring my purse in and send DH to the car if we get admitted. At our hospital, the birthing room and recovery room are the same, so once admitted, you typically don’t move. With my first we did because the thermostat/heat was broken and the temp was pushing 85 when DD was born. I don’t really remember this but DH talks about it. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    I can't believe we are already talking about this! To be safe but not over the top cautious, when should I have this stuff packed by? 34 weeks? 
  • Options
    @becks_726 I think that’s a good goal. I made a list and checked it off as I went. So I packed over a longer period (that way I could check and double check I got everything). 

Some things I’m glad I brought (that I don’t see mentioned above) were a Bluetooth speaker for my phone so I could play music, diffuser for EO and some LED candles. It really help keep things feeling more calm and peaceful for me (which really helped me deal with the pain better and get through contractions and my long labor) . DH made a couple different mellow playlists so I could listen to what I was in the mood for at the time.

I also requested a room with a tub which if you are going to try for an unmediated birth, I highly recommend if available. It really helped me relax during labor and made the contractions a lot more bearable. I took several baths through out my labor. 

As for clothes, I brought some stuff but during my stay I was in a hospital gown the whole time until I went home. I ended up with a c section and was super sore and didn’t even want to think of trying to put pants on those first couple days. 

I had no appetite when contractions really started going, so I basically only drank water from the time I got there until after delivery. DH was grateful for the snacks we packed though.  
  • Options
    loving all the lists and insights!! Keep em comin'
  • Options
    100% on your pillow and fun case (c/s so there almost a week).
    Comfy clothes-side note, I was super swollen after bc I needed a blood transfusion, so my legs were like elephants, I barely fit in my pants. Let alone shoes. I wore socks home! Don't bring tight clothes. 

Swaddle for babe, cute going home outfit. 

Snacks, I also bring water flavors like crystal light sticks. 
    Big underwear, hair ties, headbands, headphones, cell, charger, thank you notes.

Agree with 2 bags- one for labor, one for after. 
    I'm bringing one of DDs loveys so I don't feel so alone without her and DH at night.

We also did thank you bags for nurses. Just a basket of cellophane 'gift bags' for whoever was helping us. They had mini lotion, gum, chocolate, purell, pretzels, stuff like that. The basket said something like 'thanks for taking care of me and my mom, please take a treat-i hear chocolate is great!'
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    I didn’t read the lists too thoroughly so someone might have mentioned - I took a light robe. Helped to be able to wrap up in that if people stopped in. 

I way overpacked and won’t bring near as much this time. I didn’t use the boppy at all (didn’t even like it at home). I also took my breast pump in case baby had trouble latching but I won’t take that this time. We live 3 minutes from the hospital so H can run and get it if needed. 
  • Options
    Yes! I had a set of pants, tank top and robe that were great for after. 
    Definirely some slippers or socks with grippers. I just walked around in those. 

We didn’t bring much for baby- going home outfit really and a blanket. Will def need a hat, warm blanket for this time since it’s winter. Might throw in some pacifiers since our hospital doesn’t have them. 

Definitely on the snacks. Also pillow/blanket for husband! 

Wr watched a few movies but also had to stay 4 nights after c/s! 
  • Options
    I'm sure we'll start an Induction thread as we get closer, but if you get induced load up your netflix and bring an iPad or laptop to watch stuff! It's a marathon.
  • Options
    @ginger1228 oh yes a light robe is a must! I ordered a cute one from posh peanut that has a matching outfit for LO hehe.

• Options
    Omggggg you guys I just opened up the spreadsheet I made when packing my hospital bags for DS's induction. I WAS A PSYCHOPATH. It's all color coordinated with "packed," "last minute items," and "need to buy." Three columns - me, DH and baby. Why did I feel the need to pack tea and pineapple juice??

One thing we did bring that I didn't mention above was a fluffy towel. The towels at the hospital where I delivered were paper thin and it felt so nice wrapping up in a cozy towel after the first shower. I'm telling you, the vast majority of my "must have" items are related to that first shower after baby's born. I took it as a really intentional moment of self-care after giving birth.
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 omg marching robe and outfit sounds so cute! Pic?
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits I LOVE spreadsheets. I have one right now that contains all of the clothes for LO that I currently have (organized by size and style), and I have the spreadsheet automatically coloring the fields if I'm below a certain number for each category. It's excessive and beautiful. :lol:
    I'm this way for vacations  :D I'm planning a WDW trip for late 2019. It's already a 10 sheet workbook and I've picked out all of our meals already. I'm a little crazy.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @kayjay44 - when in 2019? We’re going Vets Day week (Nov). 

And +1 to crazy Disney lady spreadsheets and meals selected. I get a weird high from it. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits I had pineapple juice!! It's supposed to help with lactation. Did nothing for me, but tasted good?
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits towel from home is a GREAT IDEA! I remember having to bed for a shitty towel at my shitty hospital and it was just awful 
  • Options
    @okayestmom12 - Not sure yet - sometime between the beginning of October and early December. It's all very tentative right now since DH is going to be switching jobs soon.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @danixbanani24 well that’s friggin adorable. Might have to look into that. I like that they have gender neutral options - we’re Team Green. 
  • Options
    @ginger1228 I agree! Team green here too and as much as I want to buy one of the cute matching flowery ones I just can’t!!