February 2019 Moms
Options

The hospital bag!

13»

Re: The hospital bag!

• Options
    @grebretso - I wore some cozy joggers home, not tight, I guess pseudo sweatpants ish, but I think leggings would have been fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Ill go buy some black fleecy pj pants.  Because, I just want to live in pjs.
  • Options
    How many change of clothes do you think are necessary for an average hospital stay, for baby? The nurse at our pre-admission appointment said that that's the number one mistake she sees parents making - not bringing enough. 
  • Options
    bellebaby221bellebaby221 member
    edited December 2018
    Since I had c-sections I stayed in the hospital gown for at least the first day just to make sure I wasn't going to bleed all over my pajamas. When I showered on day 2 I changed and had nightgowns for days 2-4 plus an outfit to wear home. I stuck with nursing gowns because I didn't want anything on my incision that soon. I also had a robe that I wore each day (the same one). Plus enough socks or slipper socks for each day. My feet never stayed warm enough!
  • Options
    We kept DD in the hospital T-shirt plus sleep sack or swaddle blanket for 3/4 days we were in the hospital. She only wore actual clothes the day we were going home. 

A robe and slippers were my absolute favorites when we were in the hospital 
  • Options
    Gender-neutral going home outfit for baby or two separate outfits? I know option 2 means (at least temporarily) essentially wasting an outfit. 

Also debating if I give enough Fs to actually coordinate any outfit vs just getting a random warm one-piece. 
  • Options
    @megpants209 I've never been team green, but I'd do a gender neutral outfit with a gendered accessory (probably a hat) if you feel strongly about having something to indicate it's a boy or a girl.
  • Options
    @megpants209 we are team green and we’re with DD also. I bought a boy and girl outfit and had them both at the hospital! Probably will do the same this time 
  • Options
    @becks_726 - This is personal preference. Some folks keep their kiddos in the hospital shirts/ blankets. I like to bring sleeper/ swaddle/ hat combos that are put together. 

I’m also a c/s mom so I’ll be there 3 nights/ 4 days and will pack 4 outfits/ swaddle sets for baby. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @megpants209 - FWIW, my plan (when we were Team Green) was the grey sleeper and then a floral hat for a girl or the letter hat for a boy. So gender neutral sleeper + two different hats - easy enough to pack!
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    K so I’m not sure this is a “hospital bag” question but sort of (id need to bring it to the hospital) but did anyone get a small gift for the older sibling(s) from baby? 
  • Options
    @megpants209 - We had a gender neutral one for our first, but also brought the outfit I wore home in case it was a girl. I don't even remember what it was.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @cali1710 I got a big sister teddy bear I am bringing. Not 100% she will get to come to the hospital if it is on flu lockdown or anything, or if she will remotely understand being all of 18mos, but I am still doing something. 

Anyone with pets- we also brought a few swaddles and the first one, when DH went home, went home with him to get the dog familiar with the scent- our trainer recommended it, so we will do that again.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited December 2018
    @cali1710 - We did the first time for DD when DS was born. IDK if we will do anything this time - my mom (who will watch them) got them gifts, so...

@smallbutmighty77 - We did that with our first, but not our second.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    We got DD a bag that says big sister and I plan to fill with a big sis book, maybe some snacks and a small toy ! 
  • Options
    @cali1710
    We got the twins Fisher price digital cameras from our youngest. That way they could take their own pictures of him when they met him. They loved them. They felt so grown up!
  • Options
    @bellebaby221 that’s such a good idea!! I may have to use that! 
  • Options
    grebretso said:
    I know we’re having a boy but I’m still going to dress him in gender neutral clothes. I mean, dinosaur patterns are gender neutral, right? Would have totally dressed a girl in it too because it’s adorable as heck. 
    P wore a dinosaur tunic to school today! 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    One of the first things I bought this little girl was a onesie with dinosaurs on it. And she's already got camo thanks to her big brothers. 
  • Options
    @grebretso my daughter has all sorts of dinosaur!! Half her sweatshirts are from the boys sect, bc they don't have pom poms, feathers, glitter, ruffles or other shit that inevitably winds up around my house or in her mouth. 
    It worked out well since I am not girly, b/c now for our son, we have a way better start on his wardrobe.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @grebretso - Most of our PJs that we've used for both kids have dinosaurs because I fucking love dinosaurs. They're technically "boy" stuff, but they are gender neutral in my book.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Bump! I'm rereading this whole thing today and making my list. Doc said to go ahead and pack this weekend. Baby may make an appearance prior to 2019! 

I've done this before (4 times), but the kids are 19, 17, 15, and 5. Doc also said this would most likely be a C-section. I have zero experience with that. 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • Options
    Hi all,

I am a first timer and am starting to think about what to get for the bag!! I have a question for those who have had kiddos before: what’s your take on the delivery gowns you can buy and bring yourself (like those on Amazon)? Worth it? I’ve read some opinions that say it’s so worth it to have something cozy of your own, and some who say you’re so preoccupied with labor you don’t really care what you’re wearing, plus it gets ruined. Anyone want to share? 

Also, what about bringing your own non slip socks? 

Thank you in advance! 
  • Options
    Thank you so much!! That is kind of what I was thinking too... what’s the point if you’re just going to get it so dirty why spend the money. 

Thats super helpful about the clothes because I totally would have packed my favorite leggings and then been bummed if I destroyed them too! Thank you!!!! 
  • Options
    I'm bringing a towel from home because the hospital "towels" are hand towel sized which covers nothing.  
    I will also pack an extra shirt and underwear for hubby in case he stays.