June 2019 Moms

NT/NIPT Dicussion Thread

124»

Re: NT/NIPT Dicussion Thread

• @mackorori I'm really sorry to hear that. And thank you for being willing to support others who may go through this too, I think that is brave and strong and very caring. 
  • @mackorori I’m sorry you didn’t get good news. You’ll make the right choice for your family in the end. Love to you! 

I ended up up getting another call from my OB office and they said my insurance will cover the MaterniT21 test (even though they said twice the ins doesn’t). I had it drawn today at 11+4. @srscott3 I was wondering why they asked me my weight when she was doing all the questions! I have an appointment with my OB on Wednesday but I probably won’t have the results by then with the holiday. I was so excited to go get it drawn today and looking forward to knowing the sex, but then when I was sitting in the waiting room I had a sudden bout of anxiety and had a mini freak out that we could get bad news from this. It’s going to be a long wait. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Just got the email from the testing company today that they’ve received my blood sample. Theoretically, results should be available on the 11th. Now, the waiting begins...
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This test takes forever. I can’t stop thinking about it and it makes the days feel long! This is a tantrum. 
  • My online chart was updated and said  my ob. This is the official language. " Elevated uterine artery PI is present on today's ultrasound, and this finding has been associated with the subsequent development of preeclampsia." I decided to wait to ask all my questions till my appointment. That did not go well, it was not with my normal ob and this person wouldn't even describe what the problem was, just kept repeating how she isn't a mfm. How I need to ask an mfm as they have three years of training more. I didn't have deep science questions. She even said "Risk means you may get it but may not", like no sh!t sherlock. Ugh, I need my norm ob back. 
  • @jhems776 Ugh, how frustrating! 

I'm impatiently waiting on my results.  We have had a postal strike going on here, which may delay the results because they MAIL them!  What?!  Why isn't everything done electronically?!

• @jhems776 So, are you being referred to a MFM? 
  • jhems776jhems776 member
    edited December 2018
    @luckystar28 Maybe, ugh. So when at NT the mfm said there wouldn't be any changes to my care. Yesterday, the ob said I would see once monthly in my third tri and she could set up a meeting with a mfm now if I wanted to talk. I think I'm going to start with just e-chart email to the one I saw at my NT and go from there. My normal ob gets back from vacation in a week so I'll ask her too.
  • @jhems776 ugh how frustrating. I'm so sorry!
  • @jhems776 that is so annoying! I would definitely ask to be referred so you can ask your questions and at least get real answers to what the “elevated risk” is and if there is anything you can do/should avoid. 
  • luckystar28luckystar28 member
    edited December 2018
    @jhems776 I would ask to meet with the MFM and see if they have a suggested course of action. The baby aspirin is a good first step. I have an increased risk due to my history of preeclampsia and that includes a lot more appointments, nsts, and growth ultrasounds to try and catch it ASAP if/when it happens. It is worthwhile for you to see if more monitoring will be advised, or for you to gain more information and advocate for yourself on what would make you feel most comfortable. I know you know the story but my preeclampsia/HELLP was missed until me/baby almost died and I don’t want anyone going through the same! 
  • @jhems776 agree with what everyone else has said. I’m not a doctor but from the stuff I read about it and after discussing it with my mom (who is a doctor), I’m not convinced that you should worry all that much just yet. I couldn’t find any definitive scientific opinions that the PI or RI are strongly correlated with a significant increased risk of preeclampsia. But obviously I’m not a doctor and my opinion probably doesn’t matter that much, but all that to say I’m sorry you are going through all of this and I would just be observant, ask questions of your OB when she comes back, but maybe wait until your 2nd trimester anatomy scan and ask that those readings be checked again. They could go down and would no longer be a concern. And @luckystar28 makes a good point about asking for any things you can do now to help decrease the risk. 
  • From what I was told at my NT scan yesterday that elevated value have a higher correlation with early onset pre-eclampsia than late, but it isn't a strong enough indicator to be used alone. If the other screening they do doesn't show an elevated risk it could be nothing. So it seems to me that it's a good indicator that more attention should be given but not necessarily that something is actually wrong. 
  • @gingergirl222 sorry my tag didn’t work and then it double posted. 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • @gingergirl222 sorry my tag didn’t work and then it double posted. 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • I had Counsyl and my midwives didn’t recommend a NT scan, saying it was duplicative (that the Prelude gave better, more reliable info). I pressed for it because it apparently screens for other stuff, and is additional assurance of the results. I’d do it if you have the option. 
  • Thanks @ShadeofGreen816 ! This array of testing is so confusing - I only had Prelude, which I don’t think screens for NTDs. Some of the other NIPTs do, I guess (I didn’t know that or I would have come here from the jump)? I’m just wondering what my options are going forward. 
  • We just did the quad screen. I did it with my first son as well, and everything came back perfectly normal. All scans were great. With this one, the risk of Down’s was elevated so I proceeded with the NIPT test. I should get those results back in a few days. I have mixed feelings on these tests. The amount of false positives is very alarming. Modern medicine has the ability to tell us SO much, but unfortunately it isn’t always 100% guaranteed. My husband keeps saying he wishes I wouldn’t have even done the quad because it has caused so much worry, and I totally get that! BUT....I guess my perspective is that IF something is confirmed through genetic testing, I would like to be prepared. Not that it would at all have any bearing on whether or not to continue the pregnancy, but it would help to know what type of care to be ready for. For instance, would I need to change my plans of where to deliver so that I could deliver at a hospital that had a NICU? What early intervention things could the pediatrician help us be ready for? Just things like that. My brother was born with cleft lip and palate, and that was back when you really didn’t know anything before the baby came, and it was very hard on my parents not knowing that until he was here. But at the end of the day, I just keep reminding myself that the story is already written. And for those who have perfectly healthy, typically developing children, what a miracle it is because really, short of not doing things that knowingly harm a growing baby, we have so little to do with how they grow!  Pregnancy is a constant reminder of just how powerless we truly are. 
  • @knottiee6102e4868bc53d8 hi, I’m sorry you are in limbo. I hope everything comes back ok. There are so many false positives with these tests! 
    To make it easier to interact, could you please change your screen name to something more recognizable. It’s hard to keep all the knottie’s straight! You prob have to log out of the bump, log onto the knot change it there then log back in to the bump. 
  • @nmbrcrnchr1. Thank you!! I think I changed it correctly...I remember reading that on the Read this First board but forgot to do it lol. I’ll blame it on the prego brain.🤦🏻‍♀️