May 2019 Moms

UO Thursday 10/25

13»

Re: UO Thursday 10/25

• @DuchessOfCambridge you have a very good point and I will accept that call out. I didn't think about people that may do it for cultural reasons. I appreciate the reminder.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• poshspiceposhspice member
    edited October 2018
    @mrsclark7 Im totally with you on the ear piercings! To this day,  I have never met a single girl who regrets her parents piercing her ears. Seriously, think about it.... has anyone else? 

I 100% regret my second holes, which I was allowed to get at a jewelry store via piercing gun in the 4the grade. They’re not even and look terrible and I never use them. Furthermore, my first holes were also done via piercing gun when I was 6 and keloided a bit and studs look a bit cross-eyed, if that makes sense. I’m only comfortable wearing dangly earrings since I realized how crooked everything looks. I wish I had been a bit older and had them done properly at a piercing place with a needle. And not by a jewelry store worker. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • @poshspice jeez where did you get your piercings done? I can totally understand your situation but my point was more whether or not the girl totally resented the holes in her ears. 

• poshspiceposhspice member
    edited October 2018
    @expandcontract I think the first holes were just at Claire’s and the second ones were done at a jewelry store owned by a family my parents knew. I wonder if they’d had me pierced as an infant if I could have avoided the keloids in my ear lobes. I had my cartilage pierced in 8th grade and that developed a massive keloid. My mom took me to a doctor who shot the keloid with a steroid to make it dissolve. It was intense. ETA needless to say I lost the piercing 😂
    Ticker

• As far as ear piercings go I'm not going to do it if this kid is a girl.

My reason being i just think its a pain in the ass and the machines malls and things are cleaned.  They use the same gun on everyone who comes in.  Also a lot of those places have a quota of how many ears they do in a month. 

My daughter got hers done at about 4 years old.  She begged to have it done.  Shes 11 now and never wears earrings.  So I  dont see the point in it for us.  But if someone else wants to go for it. 

I can never think of an UO. 

Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Like others have said, I loved getting to go get my ears pierced and having my birth stone earrings (although DD's birthstone is ugly IMO) when I was 7 or 8 right around my birthday. DD is 14 months and I'll be waiting. I did get my cartilage on one ear and second holes and while playing sports I couldn't leave them in long enough to heal which I didn't think about in advance. When I was pregnant with DD my ears started rejecting a lot of earrings so I haven't worn any in 2 years. All the holes are still there though.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I do like that idea and I think it's what I will do. As soon as my potential future daughter says she wants to get her ears pierced, she can. There won't be an age limit because I just don't care and personally don't understand age limits with pierced ears. I get it if you want the child to be able to take care of it themselves but if it's just "because you're not old enough" that doesn't compute. But again, cultural, because my mom got my ears pierced when I was one. I have no other piercings and have never wanted any and I'm glad it happened when I was a baby because as an adult I'm an even bigger baby  :D she did, surprisingly, wait with my sister. Idk why.

• @DuchessOfCambridge I think for me it'll depend on my daughter too. My son has sensory issues and if hypothetically I ever pierced his ears, he wouldn't let me clean them or take care of them. I know this. It would be an epic fight, hitting, screaming. He has horrible eczema and putting lotion on his skin is hell. Washing him in the bath is hell. Wiping his nose, wiping his face.  If my daughteris the same, I'll probably wait until she's old enough that she or even I could take care of it without WW3 every day. 
  • What culture are you guys talking about? I thought earrings were commonplace everywhere and not a specific culture.
  • @roseshadow873 I believe it's a strong part of Indian culture as well as some cultures in South America. There are probably others too and I'm not sure of the significance of it within those cultures, so someone else is going to have to pipe in on that.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• k2k2tog said:
    @roseshadow873 I believe it's a strong part of Indian culture as well as some cultures in South America. There are probably others too and I'm not sure of the significance of it within those cultures, so someone else is going to have to pipe in on that.
    What she said. 

• What culture are you guys talking about? I thought earrings were commonplace everywhere and not a specific culture.
    My husband is from Argentina and it is common for baby girls to have their ears pierced when they're very young. They also shave baby boy's heads. 
  • @RoseShadow873 someone who knows better than me can probably chime in, but I think in many Latino/Latina cultures it's traditional to pierce a baby girl's ears very soon after birth.
    kids with flags
  • @RoseShadow873 yes, very popular in South Asia and, I've just learned, for those who are Rusyn like @mrsclark731, and for so many other places I didn't know about!

• I fucking love earrings.  I feel naked if i don't wear them.  When I was about 6 months pregnant with my daughter,  I had to stop wearing necklaces,  watches,  rings,  bracelets because it felt like it was suffocating me.  But i couldn't lose the earrings. 
    Side note: I've already had to stop wearing my engagement ring because of how much I've swelled up from prednisone.  Yelp!

• @expandcontract I completly agree! I've stopped wearing anything except my earrings (and nose ring). Do you think you will stay on prednisone the whole pregnancy? Are you able to use anything else for your asthma?

• @expandcontract I've already had to switch to my fake qalo ring (actually much sturdier than my actual qalo ring) because my rings were getting tight. And I am not on Prednisone 😭
  • @knarlytaurus Im not sure but it does look this way that i might bee on it throughout the entire pregnancy and that scares me.  Every single time I've taperes down the dose asthma gets worse. Even right now while I'm on the high dose my asthma is not under control at all.  Im still using my rescue at least twice a day and some days even have to use the nebulizer. Woof. 

@eatinwatermelonseeds awww, I'm sorry. Those qalo rings are actually such a good idea! They look pretty cool,  too. The only thing i worry about is aren't a lot of people allergic to silicone? Or am i mistaking that for some other material? 

• @expandcontract I hope your able to find some relief and I can imagine how scary it must be. Did you find that symptoms got better at any point in your last pregnancy? It's said every pregnancy is different so hopefully time will help ease up the symptoms. 
  • @knarlytaurus I think I mentioned in a different thread how I fell and broke my nose during last pregnancy. That's when my asthma acted up.  But i was good after one round of steroids.  Im hoping this time it'll calm down in 2nd tri since the hormones will calm down  too. FX. And thank you for thinking of me!

• knarlytaurusknarlytaurus member
    edited October 2018
    @expandcontract I'm a FTM and am already amazed at how much more worried I am at small changes than I thought I would be  And these are things that I'm sure women have been experiencing for millennia. I can imagine that having your asthma on top of just the regular ups and downs of pregnancy is stressful, but hang in there! FX the next week or two brings changes !
  • @knarlytaurus Im not sure but it does look this way that i might bee on it throughout the entire pregnancy and that scares me.  Every single time I've taperes down the dose asthma gets worse. Even right now while I'm on the high dose my asthma is not under control at all.  Im still using my rescue at least twice a day and some days even have to use the nebulizer. Woof. 

@eatinwatermelonseeds awww, I'm sorry. Those qalo rings are actually such a good idea! They look pretty cool,  too. The only thing i worry about is aren't a lot of people allergic to silicone? Or am i mistaking that for some other material? 
    Maybe you're thinking of Latex? I don't think I've heard of anyone being allergic to silicone, but I know the hospital always asks about Latex allergies.
    kids with flags
  • @brie_and_almonds omg pregnancy brain!!! Latex, duh!!

• I found out last year that I have a minor latex allergy. The more you know, ha!
  • I bought a pack of the silicone rings off Amazon because I lift weights at the gym. In Florida I went to a CrossFit box, so everyone knew me and it didn't matter without a ring. We have a Y membership now and I felt uncomfortable without my rings. The pack I bought was about $10 (8 or 9 rings in different colors), they're holding up well so far. I also realized they'll be a huge help if my fingers swell again this pregnancy.