May 2019 Moms
Options

Doppler

Am I the only mama with a Doppler? I’ve had it for the last 2 pregnancies and I just decided last week to try and hear this baby. Much to my surprise at nine weeks, I heard it!!! I haven’t had my first ultrasound yet, that’s this Thursday but hearing the heartbeat was definitely comforting.

Re: Doppler

• Options
    I have one. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and I've yet to hear anything. 
  • Options
    I have one and found HB at 9 weeks. It gives me peace of mind for sure 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have one and tried today at 12 weeks but couldn’t find it yet. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    Just ordered mine. PGAL brain is too much for me. Has anyone tried one of the iPhone apps? I am embarrassed to admit I downloaded one and tried it today. I heard something, not sure it was a HB though. 
  • Options
    @chloe97 what app is it? 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    What Doppler is everyone using? I considered getting one, but I wasn’t sure how well they worked. 
  • Options
    @megsb615 I have a sonoline b. I've heard great things about the brand I just haven't heard anything yet myself. I also don't try it regularly though. 
  • Options
    I have the sonoline b, I've used it most days the past few weeks, I've been able to find the heartbeat almost every time. I have noticed the days I don't find it are when I try at night. Morning for some reason work best for me. Probably because I havet started snacking yet 😂
  • Options
    I've been wanting to try a doppler so bad to ease my PGAL brain, but everything I've read says it can actually make your anxiety worse if you can't find a HB. Which makes sense, but I was really tempted to get one anyway. Still am....
  • Options
    @keighty80 that's why I got one, but it's kind of been a waste of money to me so far. Maybe when I'm further, but with my son around the time I would've been able to find the heartbeat, I was already feeling flutters. So, we'll see if it ends up being worth it here in the next couple weeks. 
  • Options
    @keighty80 That's a good point. I know for some people, it will just cause anxiety. It can be really tough to find in the beginning when baby is so small.

I have one called 'Womb Music' (I think?). It's nice that it came with a split headphone jack so DH and I could both listen to the heartbeat with headphones. It picked up the heartbeat relatively early both pregnancies. There are videos on Youtube that show how to find the heartbeat. For me, baby has always been much lower than you would think! You'll pick up your own heartbeat at first too, but there's no mistaking baby's once you get it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have one at home and use it occasionally. I first used it in this pregnancy at 9 weeks and heard a nice little heartbeat. 

With DD, I used it a lot more especially around the end of the 1st trimester when my symptoms started to disappear. But I've noticed myself using it far less this time around.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Options
    Like @secicc12 I have the Womb Music doppler as well and really like it! I got good use out of it last time and looking forward to using it a lot this time too.
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    I don’t use one. Didn’t with DS and won’t for this baby. At my last appointment at 12w1d with this baby, they used the Doppler, couldn’t find a heartbeat, but baby looked fine on the bedside ultrasound and all was well. For me it isn’t worth the added stress of being at home and not finding a heartbeat and not knowing if anything is wrong.
  • Options
    @keighty80 Part of me feels like it might make me more anxious than I already am too, but I would still love to hear the heartbeat whenever I wanted. I’d probably be terrible at trying to find it though, so I’m torn. 
  • Options
    @megsb615 that is my dilemma exactly! I’m so torn about it. 
  • Options
    @keighty80 i was torn at first as well. I watched a ton of YouTube videos 😂 also, i had lost a bunch of weight before getting pregnant this time so i had less fluff to work around 😂
  • Options
    I'm not really feeling anxious about it. I would be more anxious if I'd found it once and couldn't find it again. Not finding it at all tells me I'm either too early or just not doing it right. So, I've stayed mostly calm. 
  • Options
    I couldn’t find the heartbeat today for the longest and then I tried up higher than I thought I should and found it. And I have lots of fluff to work around,lol. It’s nice to have but for some it could trigger worry and panic.
  • Options
    I just ordered the Sonoline B from Groupon.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Options

I ordered a Doppler the other day with 2 day shipping. The item shipped from Delaware & I'm in Maryland. Why did it go to Memphis, Tennessee?!  Exsqueeze me FedEx, get it together.

• Options
    I have the sonoline b pocket fetal doppler. I've tried a few times and was able to find it for the first time at 8 weeks 5 days. I've found it twice since then.

I love ours but definitely recommend using it with caution as it did cause me some anxiety when I was pregnant with DS. 
  • Options
    I have a Sonoline from my pregnancy with DD. I though it would make my PGAL brain crazy, but it was actually really reassuring. Mine has a readout of the HR, as well. DD did have some sleepy days with not much movement where even juice and popsicles didn't really rouse her, and getting the doppler out was really reassuring at those times. I haven't tried it yet with this baby. I've been waiting until the first OB appointment to use the doppler so I know where to check for it. I'm sure I'd do it wrong this early. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Just got my sonoline B yesterday... i heard something but it seemed consistent and slow ... like maybe 120 bpm...i heard that sometimes you think you hear the beat but it's not baby (its yours or ovary pulse etc)

Any advice on where to get a good tutorial?

Also, the Bump has a page talking about the lack of safety oh home baby dopplers (as it raises tissue heat). Any thoughts or contrary research on that?

Happy healthy 9 months ladies! 🎈
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    julwanderlustjulwanderlust member
    edited October 2018
    As much as I want an at home doppler I can't bring myself to splurge so instead I downloaded the "Hear by Baby" app ($4.99). I tried a few nights ago and couldn't hear anything but today after about 5 min of trying I was able to find a heartbeat. I am 9w3d. And, yes, I tried my for my own heartbeat first which I was able to find and was about 60bpm. Baby's heartbeat sounded just it was at the doctor's office and I counted ~150bpm. 

• Options
    I have an angel sounds Doppler and have been able to find the heartbeat since 10+3 weeks.  With my history of miscarriage, there's no way I could go without a little reassurance every day.
  • Options
    missy052819missy052819 member
    edited October 2018
    For a very brief moment I found a heartbeat at 164 but then I lost it. Little bugger got away!
    eta cause typo city!

• Options
    @missy052819 Me too! I don’t think the HB registered on the Doppler because it was so quick, but it was definitely the baby’s HB and not mine or the placenta. It took me probably 15-20 minutes to find it. I was having a rough PGAL morning with it be my milestone from my first loss, so it was really nice to get a bit of reassurance.
  • Options
    @chloe97 yes! Keep at it! I’m going to try again tomorrow when I have more time and patience. It definitely made my PGAL brain happy! 😀