June 2019 Moms
Options

Symptoms - Week of 10/21

edited October 2018 in June 2019 Moms
I hope no one minds me starting this, but the most recent symptoms thread I see was for two weeks ago and I think I read something about having this be a weekly-ish thing for at least the first trimester.

I’m really feeling the need to get some feedback on this one. It’s not my first rodeo by any stretch, so I’m reasonably aware of what qualifies as “normal” for my body in regards to how it handles pregnancy and the flood of hormones. But this is a new one for me, and I’m trying to isolate if this is related to pregnancy specifically or if I should be searching around for a more concrete cause.

I have always had clinical anxiety/depression (the two often go hand in hand) and, while both are very well managed for me and I usually struggle more with the anxiety side of things, I have been having a very hard time psyching myself up to be motivated for anything recently, which I recognize as the gray edge of depression (it’s not just the pregnancy fatigue that’s causing this). It wouldn’t be a huge deal except I have three kids that I can’t afford to not pay attention to because I’m stuck in my own head. And obviously, meds aren’t exactly an option right now.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Words of encouragement that if I just slog through the first trimester, things will look brighter? Advice on what to do to get my butt in gear and shake this funk off?

I’m not sure I even really know where I’m going with this. I guess I’m just struggling a little more, mentally, than I’m used to or than I remember and I’m not sure how to tackle this beast this time around. Input would be appreciated.
Married 25 May, 2013
William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Symptoms - Week of 10/21

• Options
    @KissMeImScottish Sorry you're dealing with that. I don't think its abnormal, but it doesn't mean you should ignore it. Have you had a prenatal appointment yet? They should routinely check your thyroid function in early pregnancy. If you have ever been borderline, pregnancy can increase your body's need for thyroid hormone, and not enough can lead to clinical depression/fatigue. Also, don't totally write off meds. There are some antidepressants that are pregnancy safe. I think the best first place to start is your OB. Also, I dont know what part of the country you live in, but sometimes the changing seasons and decrease in sunlight can exacerbate some depression symptoms. I hope that you find some answers and some ways to cope and feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I hear you. I’m on medication and going to a behaviorist for my anxiety/OCD. It has helped tremendously. I would highly recommend connecting with a counselor or therapist. Also, talk to your OBGYN. Talk to as many people as you can and create your support community. We are always here for you! 

Anyone else get hit with MS? I woke up sick in the middle of the night to the point I thought I would have to throw up. I had to cancel my get together with my CASA kiddo. I’m currently on the couch trying to get it together. 
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I also have anxiety and depression. My last pregnancy I did fine with no meds, but this pregnancy I am on antidepressants. I'd suggest talking to your doctor and maybe set a date if you are hoping to continue without meds. If you are trying some coping mechanisms and they aren't helping by a certain time, you take a bigger step like meds or other treatment. 
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I'm dealing with acne too. I go back to my derm next week for my wart treatment and hoping she'll offer to help with that too.
  • Options
    I had such bad acne last time around (even on my chest/back, it was so so bad) but somehow my face is super clear this time? I hope I didn’t just jinx it... 

Anyway, still super nauseous over here. Throw up and dry heave almost all day. I’m 8 weeks tomorrow, maybe it will lessen soon? Ha, just trying to make myself feel better. 

Other than that, I have chills and body aches, like a flu (not the flu). It’s honestly been a very very rough go. 
  • Options
    My jawline is so broken out, I look like a teenager. Ugh. Otherwise, I'm tired and have heartburn and that's it for the most part. I'm only 4+2 so I know in super early for symptoms, but my PGAL brain is totally anxious.
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish im so glad we could bring you some comfort. Please continue to reach out to us as you need to. I feel like there are a lot of ladies here who are fighting for our mental health. It is a lifetime struggle and we all need to check in with ourselves from time to time. Good for you for recognizing the signs! 
  • Options
    @ruby696 Good to hear someone else so early along is having heartburn of sorts. I’m 4+6 today. I have small waves of nausea but it doesn’t last too long. I’ve also had these headaches that come and go. I don’t remember all this stuff with my first successful pregnancy!
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Only 5+1 over here, feeling pretty asymptomatic, except the FATIGUE. I dont remember it being this bad last time, but I didn't have a toddler then. And today my whole body kind of vaguely aches... like @luckystar28 was talking about. But I'm so anxious about what's to come. I was so miserable by 7+0 last time and it lasted a few weeks. I was in school and working part time last pregnancy so I had a lot more time on my hands to just lay around. But I got ALL the laundry done this weekend, so at least I can be kind of lazy in the evenings this week. And here's to hoping I don't have much nausea this time around!
  • Options
    @borgahurst Part if me wishes I would just have some mild nausea - I had such mild 1st tri symptoms with DS and DD and not much now. Then the smart part of my brain kicks in and I realize that's crazy!
  • Options
    I am just entering into the 7 week mark and the nausea is not showing any signs of letting up, just hoping this doesn't last another month. I have only thrown up once, but I will often gag and have bad burps. I have had some random mild cramping, but not like regular cramps, these are in my pelvic area. I dunno, its not really painful or bothersome all that much, just weird?

I haven't had any acne yet, but I am just waiting for it because my skin and hair is so oily. I have a new routine down for my skin, but I don't know what to do with this hair. I used to wash it once a week and I am washing every other day now, and really should be washing it every day. I have tried 4 different types of shampoo at this point as well because some weren't even washing the oil out of my hair and it still felt nasty after it dried. Frustrating, because what I want to do is just slather salicylic acid everywhere, but I have a derm appointment on Thursday so we will see what she says.
  • Options
    Nausea hit me yesterday and today, it’s been manageable, but it’s got me to where I don’t want to do anything except lay around. That’s all I’ve done today. And I’ve got sore legs too.
  • Options
    I’ve had a bad headache behind my eyes every night for a few days. I know I can take Tylenol but I hate taking medicine while pregnant. I usually get pregnancy headaches but it usually starts during second tri. I would take more nausea over these headaches. 
  • Options
    I counted how many times I threw up today. 15. That’s not counting the dry heaving. I’m going to talk to my MFM on Tuesday and see what else I can do. 
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish

I have had pretty severe anxiety/depression most of my adult life, with a drastic rise over the past few years. I noticed when I was pregnant with DD that my anxiety got even worse. And postpartum my depression got worse. Looking back, it was probably PPD and I just chalked it up to be my normal anxiety/depression. 

I found a lot of comfort in talking. To my husband, friends, mom, doctor, anyone really. Also, it really helped to have alone time. I know that’s tough with a husband who isn’t home much and 3 kids, but maybe even a nice face mask and bath after the kids are in bed? 

This pregnancy I’m already seeing the signs of the intense anxiety and I started talking to my husband about it. We identified some of my triggers and we’re finding solutions. I also plan to talk to my OB at my first appointment this week and come up with a plan for during pregnancy and postpartum. 

Please reach out if you need anything at all. I’m a PM away ❤️
  • Options
    I can’t sleep 😩
    DD goes to bed around 7:30-7:45. I was right behind her in bed by 8:15, but now it’s 1 AM and I’ve been awake for over an hour. I experienced the same thing Friday and Saturday nights too. I remember 1st trip being field with glorious sleep. I’d nap in prep for bed, but not this round. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    @Charla1224 I feel you! Difficulty staying asleep and early morning waking has been the story of my life the last week!

• Options
    @Charla1224 same here! I wake up hours before my alarm (yet am exhausted during the day, so it’s a vicious cycle)

Other than that, I’m now 8+1 and the nausea is real. Like @jmvander I don’t usually actually throw up, but I feel queasy all day long and have these terrible burps that seem like I will throw up but I don’t. Flat ginger ale seems to help and I’m trying to eat more frequent, smaller meals to avoid dips in my blood sugar. 

My newest symptom in the past couple of days is cramping. They are in my low abdomen, on both sides and intermittent/low intensity. They don’t feel like period cramps - more like light stretching. Hoping that’s a normal sign that things are growing to make room for the baby! 
  • Options
    @luckystar28 I hope they can figure out something that will help you, that sounds awful. 

I started out with some symptoms (nausea, insomnia, etc) but those have lessened. I'm trying to appreciate that because it's still so early and I'm sure more is to come. My anxiety brain freaks out about it though. Fast forward me to when I can feel baby move please!
  • Options
    @jessica4141 we basically have the same symptoms, I hope it lets up for both of us soon! I will have to try letting my ginger ale go flat, the bubbles aren't helping anything and I remember my mom always doing that for us when we were sick as kids.
  • Options
    @jessica4141 your cramping sounds normal to the uterus stretching out so much right now. I had a lot of cramping 1st tri with my first. And only mild and infrequent cramps this time.

Weirdly for me, the nausea was not as intense yesterday and today as it had been. Here's to hoping it just keeps slowly fading away.  I'm only 7+4 right now so its early compared to when it started going away last time. Just hoping it doesn't get really bad again. 
  • Options
    Started out with heart palpatations and hot flashes. Those have lessened and now I’m gaggy, have food aversions, and nauseous. 6 weeks today. 
  • Options
    My sense of smell is definitely hightened. I opened the refrigerator at work and could instantly smell something rotting. Thankfully I have not smelled anything *too* offensive yet, so it's not causing any real nausea. My boobs have also become a lot more sensitive, but not super painful. I've had some very mild cramping on and off, close to what I would feel a day or two before AF. Overall I'm feeling good - very thankful because I know it could be so much worse.
  • Options
    @Charla1224 I'm with you on having difficulty staying asleep. I'm up for at least an hour between 4-6 am. 

The nausea and vomiting are constant for me.  I ran out of my sample of Bonjesta on Friday so I had a horrible weekend. Bonjesta doesn't take it away, it just reduces my vomiting from 4-6 times per day to 1-3. But I'm still nauseous and gagging all day. The Bonjesta also makes me so tired that I'm worried about driving. My appointment is tomorrow so I'm going to talk to my CNM about some potential other meds. Zofran helped me last pregnancy but it's only a 4 hr drug and the constipation from it is awful, my magnesium didn't help last time. I was nauseous and vomiting for a total of 25 out of 39 weeks last time, so I'm nervous it will be that way again.

I'm also so thirsty because not keeping much  down currently. I just want to chug water but I know that'll make me vomit. Semi-related my milk is drying up so I'm having to stop nursing DD. Breastfeeding was a struggle and I worked so hard to be able to nurse my daughter. I'm sad it is ending but keep telling myself that it's awesome I was able to make it 9.5 months. 
  • Options
    @kelk5 sorry your milk is drying up and you're not able to nurse as much now. But 9.5 months is awesome! I couldn't imagine nursing and being pregnant (especially first tri) so be proud you've made it this far! And don't be to hard on yourself about it!
  • Options
    @kelk5 9.5 months is great! You did the best you could for as long as you could. Be proud of yourself. And sorry you're feeling so sick.
  • Options
    @ruby696 and @runyogamom thanks ladies. I think first tri-hormones make it harder. I am happy we made it this far. And honestly since she was 3 weeks old she's been supplemented by formula so it seems to be easier for her than me.
  • Options

@runyogamom You are a few days ahead of me so you saying your nausea is less intense fills me with so much hope.

TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @eleven_ hope it gets less intense for you soon too!
  • Options
    So far I'm just tired, and my boobs started to be a little sore.  Otherwise, just an occasional cramp here and there.  I was super nauseous by this point last time, so I'm half grateful/half nervous that I'm not yet this time.  I'm trying to just enjoy it, but I can't help comparing either.  It would help a lot if my first appointment wasn't still freaking 3.5 weeks away!  And that one isn't even an ultrasound!   :s
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @luckystar28 I'm sorry you're so sick! Hopefully you can get in touch with your doctor tonight.
  • Options
    @luckystar28 I’m sorry you are so sick 😔
  • Options
    @luckystar28 I’m so sorry you are feeling miserable. Did you go into the hospital? 
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I know I'm super late to this party, but wanted to chime in--I get incredible depression the day before my period every cycle, and the first 4 weeks of pregnancy felt like that basically every day. It helped when I could keep in mind that it was just PMS, and now I know it's basically how my brain handles high levels of progesterone. It helps me immensely to be able to tell myself, "it's just the hormones and it will go away soon." If your past history isn't hormone-related (or even if it is, but it's been a while), or if the feelings are essentially constant, it's always a good idea to check in with your therapist, just until things settle out a bit.
  • Options
    Anyone else had sciatica issues in previous/current pregnancies? I have not but tonight by back hurts but I feel like it would be too early for that? 
  • Options
    @nmbrcrnchr1 I had it so bad last time I couldn't walk the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. It still flares up occasionally. I don't think sciatica is always related to pregnancy. Mine was a horrible shooting pain that went down one side of my butt and leg. 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3