June 2019 Moms
Options

Product spotlight maternity clothes

Re: Product spotlight maternity clothes

• Options
    I just bought the bella band today. It arrives Monday. Can't get here soon enough. My work pants are too tight but the work maternity pants are super weird and way to big still so I'm hoping this is a good solution for the interim period. 
  • Options
    @jessica4141 here is a pic and please excuse the water spotted mirror.... I'm at work and customers don't seem to care here (seriously, our counter is usually a puddle). Anyway...my pants are completely unbuttoned and only partially zipped. I do have a lose shirt on today that I tried to pull snug so you could see how it doesnt really show.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a Canadian mama, I must say our maternity selection really sucks up here. Ordering online isn't my thing because I hate sizing. I'm different in every store. I bought some stuff from Motherhood Maternity this time around - with my son I wore mostly my regular clothes with a couple of pieces that I've gotten rid of. I already can't fit into most of my work pants due to bloat. I bought a belly band this time around too but I haven't worn it yet because I live in tights and track pants at the moment unless I need to be somewhere. 
  • Options
    I bought like 8 maternity tops for work and 2 sweaters when it got colder (delivered end of December). I got two black maternity pants and two pairs of jeans - all full panel. I didn't get a jacket because I just wore mine open...I live in Texas though. Most of my stuff was on sale at motherhood/pea in the pod. I bought a few casual tops and leggings at Target.

My biggest issue was trying to find pants with pockets. That was my pregnancy rage was just give me pockets. I bought more expensive pants from pea in the pod just for pockets.

I did splurge on one maternity dress from seraphina that I loved. Used it for baby shower and maternity photos.

Also, loved my Bella band. Used that until I was about 5 months for some pants.
  • Options
    I bought two pairs of "dressy" yoga pants yesterday and plan to do work travel in them. They look really good and have pockets but they were pricey.

I will need a fancy dress for a formal wedding in early December, when I guess I'll be 13 weeks... I have no idea where to even start looking.
  • Options
    @marijaa333 I had a wedding at around 20 weeks last time. I bought a regular formal dress that was 2 sizes bigger and had an empire waist. It worked perfectly. I also wore it to another wedding when I was 7 weeks postpartum.  
  • Options
    @marijaa333 with my first I didn't start showing until after 20 weeks. By 13 weeks I was a little bigger, but I'd buy something right before the wedding that is forgiving and not worry about the maternity dress just yet. 

• Options
    Bumping this because I am in desperate need of maternity leggings. Everything I try on are way too long. So far I’ve tried target, loft, old navy, and gap. I need full panel and I’m 5’2” (about a 26” or 27” inseam). Pleaseeee tell me someone has a suggestion 😬
  • Options
    @srscott3 I got mine at Motherhood. I’m 5’4” and wear a medium but my 5’1” sister comfortably wore a small. I really didn’t want to get them at MM but I live in a smaller city and don’t have many options. I actually also just remembered that I tried on a maternity pair at H&M and also Kohls and didn’t buy them because they were too short! 
  • Options
    @carleym93 oh wow! Well I’ll definitely check MM, and maybe I’ll even check H&M now. They don’t list their inseam lengths online but I guess I figured they were going to be too long because all the H&M models are so y’all and skinny 😂
  • Options
    @srscott3 I bought two pairs: one of the maternity and one of the postpartum. I have two of the tanks and they are sooo comfortable. I haven’t started wearing them yet, but I tried them on. 
  • Options
    Yesterday I scored a pair of maternity leggings for three dollars! My Old Navy does not sell maternity but when people return maternity items there they sell them mega discounted. 
  • Options
    mamamaggie524mamamaggie524 member
    edited November 2018
    I was lucky enough to be gifted a box of maternity wear this time around. So far it has all been really comfortable. Lots of Motherhood Maternity and Jessica Simpson Maternity. When I was pregnant with DD I bought everything from Ross. I lived in a very rural area at the time and that was all that was available. 

ETA: I was in a wedding one month PP and my dress was ASOS Maternity. Super comfortable and really pretty. 
  • Options
    Motherhood is having a 40% off sale today. I’m plus size, and I got a pair of bathing suit bottoms, jeans, yoga pants, and 4 tops for $102; Target online as well - I got 3 tops, and 3 pair of leggings for $68
  • Options
    Zuilly has some $12-15 maternity tights in various colors (scroll): https://www.zulily.com/e/due-time-maternity-318583.html

• Options
    @kateraid fellow canadian here. Went to motherhood last weekend and wanted to cry buying a 40 dollar sweater and 40 dollar pair of pants... both were exceptionally soft. My husband encouraged the purchase. Yesterday on a fb buy and sell page i scored a thyme maternity jacket for 60 bucks and on my way over she mentioned she had lots of other clothes. Ended up with 8 tops and a pair of old navy jeans plus the jacket for only 100 bucks. I figure finding one more pair of work pants or getting a belly band and i should be set.
  • Options
    Neeeeeed to get new bras or tanks, like, yesterday. I literally bent an underwire on the bra I had on yesterday from straining it so much all day. Didn't even known that was possible. I'm down to a couple sports bras that don't make me want to cry, but they aren't super great for work (either they're visible, you can see what's going on under them, or both). I figured if I have to get new stuff, at least to get dual-use and make it nursing bras/tanks. Anyone have a brand or store they swear by? For bigger-busted gals, are tanks even an option? My sister and best friend swear by them but they're also a lot smaller than I am even when I'm NOT pregnant so not sure I trust them on that.
  • Options
    @ki1244 I like Soma nursing bras. I'm not that large, but my cousin is and she loves their bras. Kind of price though, so I would hold off until you're confident you're not going to get any bigger.
  • Options
    I hit up thyme maternity and managed to get 5 dollar nursing bras. I am not in love with them but price was right. Would prefer sports bra style but havent come across any i am willing to spend $ on
  • Options
    I hit up thyme maternity and managed to get 5 dollar nursing bras. I am not in love with them but price was right. Would prefer sports bra style but havent come across any i am willing to spend $ on
    Last time around I got some sports bra type nursing bras from Target. The front comes down and you just slide the material out of the way. Very comfortable for post delivery and they weren't expensive. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 no target in canada... gonna keep looking around for them.
  • Options
    For any gals in transition who aren't sure if they'll keep growing and need something in the interim (good call there, @ruby696) -- walmart may have an absolutely sad maternity section, or at least the one near me does, but they did have t-shirt bras in sizes up to 40D for $4. No point in dropping a bunch of money on something that might get a couple weeks of wear -- and if you wind up that size, bully for you, you've got one more (cheap) bra.
  • Options
    @ki1244 apparently in canada our walmarts only sell maternity online. I need to try stuff on so will be going second hand and on sale route as much as possible
  • Options
    @ki1244 I love Bravado for nursing tanks and bras and also leading lady off amazing are really nice. Here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RCL0O8S/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1. I started at a DDD and ended in a H and these held up nicely. The Leading lady were nice bc they aren’t form fitting unlike the Bravado which are and offer support. I had trouble finding bras big enough and I plan on buying more with this pregnancy as I wore them while pregnant and for a long time after. 

@meatballs37 how did the Jessica simpson jeans fit? Worth the price?

i liked Motherhood maternity for jeans. I felt target and old navy stretches out way too fast and would fall/sag down. Also pink blue is cute but cheaper quality and make sure to know your size bc paying for shipping twice sucks. 
  • Options
    Looking at Old Navy online today and couldn't believe how many maternity bodycon dresses there are!  The last thing I want to wear when I'm feeling fat and bloated, is a skin tight dress!  Props to the mamas who can rock them, but no thanks.
  • Options
    @bakerstreetboys - OMG so glad someone said this. I think many women look gorgeous in body-con dresses while pregnant, but I cannot for the life of me picture myself wearing them. 

I'm at the point where I think I'm going to sew a few things for myself. I have a large fabric stash and sewing is already my hobby, so. It'll be fairly straightforward for me to make adjustments to patterns that I already like (bust adjustments, tummy adjustments, length adjustments so I can wear things with leggings, etc.). I've been dreading the body changes because I have a history of disordered eating and I think custom-ish clothing will be great self-care. 

If there are any other sewists out there, check out maternitysewing.com - they have a good podcast and social media presence. 
  • Options
    I bought like one of that kind from old Navy and was like nope.
  • Options

@harrierwife I wanted to say you aren't alone with a disordered eating history. I haven't weighed myself in years so I was incredibly nervous for my first appointment. The experience wasn't as bad as I thought, thankfully. I felt a little uncomfortable because my waistband is starting to get tight, but again, not as upset as I was worried I might be. I'm glad you have a plan for self-care!!

Anyone have any luck with winter coats? I'm between buying a maternity jacket or just sizing up.

• Options
    @ohheyitsb I'm planning on just sizing up, but that's because it's my second pregnancy and I'll be out of winter coats a month "earlier" - I won't be as far along this time as last time by the time warm weather hits. I have one very generous coat that I'm planning on wearing as much as possible. I think it depends on where you live. If I were still in Canada, I'd definitely be looking for something tailored. There are also the coats that allow you to wear the baby inside them post-partum. They might be worth looking into...
  • Options
    @ohheyitsb - The first thing they did at my first appt was weigh me. And before I stepped on the scale I told them that 1.) I don't want to face the front of the scale, and 2.) I don't want them telling me my weight. I talked to my OB about it and told her that I trusted her to tell me if I was gaining too much/too little. She was really understanding and agreed that we wouldn't ever talk poundage in numbers. It was such a relief because I'm at the point where I'm happy and healthy and know when I'm not. Something about that f****** scale that messes with my head. Nice to know I'm not alone <3

Honestly, I haven't thought about winter coats at all. That's a great point. 
  • Options
    @ohheyitsb i bought a used thyme maternity jacket off a facebook buy and sell group. I am now thinking it might be too small. First pregnancy and no idea when i will push it to its limits or if I will outgrow it by end of winter (in canada)... i think it should be okay
  • Options
    Oh also just FYI that I feel like Old Navy stuff runs super small!  I'm usually a medium in stuff but I put on one the other day and it was so tight I couldn't wear it .so always size up in their stuff.
  • Options

@harrierwife that is the arrangement I’ve had with my amazing PCP/gyno for the last four years. It’s been tremendous for my recovery. I don’t know why I didn’t think to approach my OB with the same plan…I guess I just had it in my head it was something I had to do. Like I said, I was very surprised I didn’t freak but it might be a good idea as the months go by. I was really open with OB about my history but she was more focused on monitoring for postpartum depression risk. I’ve found some providers assume if you look “healthy” that you head must be, too…at least with disordered eating/body image.

@canuckbaby You hit the nail on the head. As a first time mom, I have no idea how to figure out the size!

@marijaa333 I’ve seen the convertible and nursing coats! I just want to make sure it’s really warm…haha the reviews are mixed.

• Options
    I'm torn about the coat issue. I'll probably see how long I can manage with the one I have and maybe steal my son's extra coat for the time I can't wear mine. It will be gigantic but I can't bring myself to buy a new coat that I'll probably only use for a month or two. 
  • Options
    I'm hoping I won't need a coat. Thankfully my current coat is a little big from losing 20 pounds this year and I live in the south so we dont need our coats much passed Feb
  • Options
    With my last pregnancy I was due in May and I never truly needed a maternity coat. I ended up wth one bc my mom’s crazy. Luckily she bought one that just has a zip in insert. It’s one that can go one way for pregnancy and the other way for wearing baby in a carrier under it. I did use it a few times last winter for carrying DD. if you have a coat that has any room in it, my guess is that you (most people) won’t be big enough by late March/early April to truly need a maternity coat. Just my two cents. 
  • Options
    I was due in January (granted in Florida, but it gets down in the 30s) and I never bought a maternity coat. A normal coat was fine and I had enough excess body heat that I didn't want it it closed anyway. 
  • Options
    I was due in February last time and I never needed a maternity coat. My old coat had some room in it and if I needed a bigger one I just planned on stealing one of my husband's extras. I'd hold off an a maternity coat until you're sure you need it.