June 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Books!

2»

Re: GTKY: Books!

• Options
    Jumping in here. I'm going to have to read the Pillars of the Earth. I've been looking for a new series to get started on. 

I also love paper books. We're headed to the library today and I can't wait to stock up. This may be silly, but I also like my kids seeing me read paper books. They love reading and I like to encourage activities unrelated to tablets/TV as much as possible.
  • Options

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I’m re-reading Harry Potter series because it’s been a hot second. Currently on Book 6. 

What are some of your favorite books? Off the top of my head…of course the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games series, In The Woods by Tana French, and Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

What are you planning on reading next? I have my eye on a few… In the Dark, Dark Wood, The Girl With All The Gifts series, and  The Witch Elm.

What's your favorite children's book? My staple gift for baby showers has been I Love You Stinky Face. @eleven_ I LOVE Goodnight Moon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I just finished reading The Night Circus (and loved it) now I’m going to be in a bit of a slump I feel. 

What are some of your favorite books?
    King Killer Chronicles - so awesome to see some ladies who also love this series! 
    Deathless
    Library at Mount Char
    Queens of Innis Lear
    Spinning Silver (favorite read this year)
    I’m also a sucker for ACOTAR

What are you planning on reading next? 
    No idea about what to read next - I’m going to look closer at some suggestions here. 

What's your favorite children's book?
    my favorite children’s book would have to be Harry Potter as it was the first real adventure book that got me into reading. 
  • Options
    What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I finished reading All the Light We Cannot See. I very much enjoyed that! Right now my husband is reading me A Tale of Two Cities at night before we go to bed (it's just something we do). Then I'm also reading The Devil in the White City, which is a nonfiction book about a serial murderer who lived in Chicago doing the Worlds Fair. 

What are some of your favorite books? I love pretty much every Jane Austen novel. Huge fan of Jane Eyre. Loved all the Harry Potter series and I've probably read the incomplete Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series like 4 times by George RR Martin. The books are way better than the show, but hopefully the guy doesn't die before he finishes the last two books in the series!

What are you planning on reading next? I have absolutely no idea, however, you guys have given me some ideas! 

What's your favorite children's book? Well, I loved poetry when I was a kid, so all the Shel Silverstein books are my favorites. I also liked scary books, so I read the Fear Street series. And Huxley's Brave New World was a favorite in high school. 
  • Options

Update:

I just finished In the Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I devoured it in two days. I gave it 3/5. I was entertained and definitely had a few audible "Oh shit!" moments. Not the best thriller/mystery I've read but enough to want to check out some of her other stuff. I'm eying The Woman in Cabin 10

I'm currently reading The Likeness by Tana French. I forgot how much I friggin' love her writing.  

• Options
    @ohheyitsb I'd never heard of Tania French, so I just looked her up. Her books look fantastic and I downloaded In The Woods. I'm super excited!
  • Options
    @ruby696 omg omg omg I loved In the Woods  YES
  • Options
    @ohheyitsb I liked cabin 10. I recently liked The Last Mrs. Parish if you haven’t read that. It’s the same thriller genre. Have you read YOU? 

I love thrillers but i find I’m always semi disappointed in the endings, which for author credit it’s hard to really shock people. 
  • Options
    What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? So I have been trying to read "The Search" by Nora Roberts...but I keep not getting around to it. I am determined though I swear! I put it in my work bag so I can at least read on my breaks. I used to read 2-3 books a month, but I don't really get the time now.

What are some of your favorite books? I really enjoyed the Pretty Little Liars series (and the show), Nora Roberts books, "Sisters" from Danielle Steele. 

What are you planning on reading next? I need to start and finish "The Search" before I plan my next book.

What's your favorite children's book? Bedtime for Francis
  • Options
    @ohheyitsb
    Thank you! I totally forgot about the Harry Potter series. I have read them several times over and still enjoy them. 
  • Options
    Wow @laura_pdx I’m so jealous of this room. Hopefully you find somewhere great to keep them when the baby comes. I sometimes get upset that I’ll never get to read for pleasure when the baby is here. Definitely had an emotional cry to my husband about it 🤣 it was probably a tad dramatic. 
  • Options
    @laura_pdx um, your library room is AMAZING 😍
  • Options
    @laura_pdx I'm so jealous of that room. Omg. 
  • Options
    Oh my God, @laura_pdx, THAT ROOM! That is what dreams are made of.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @knottieeeegjjbgg, @wearyfuzzball, @ruby696 and @KissMeImScottish, THANK YOU for the kind words. It’s cathartic to get to share my library with you all before I have to dismantle it. ❤️

@knottieeeegjjbgg, don’t give up on your books just yet- I’ll bet you’ll have plenty of sleepy hours snuggled up with a nursing/napping LO and a great book. 😘 To go hands-free, try my fave podcast: LeVar Burton Reads. He reads all types of short stories so beautifully! He’s super excited about great books and so soothing at the same time. 
  • Options
    @laura_pdx Do you feel like Belle in Beauty and the Beast in there??? Totally what it reminds me of. And I don't know if I'll ever hear LeVar Burton and not think Reading Rainbow...
  • Options
    @ki1244 I thought the same thing, I hope she glides around her library on the ladder singing. 

@laura_pdx please tell me you do this. I will sleep better tonight imagining it. Was that creepy? I don’t even care. 
  • Options
    @laura_pdx that library is exactly what I would like in my dream home.
  • Options
    @ki1244 I will have to rewatch that scene - maybe it was my initial inspiration! As for LeVar, maybe that’s why I love his new podcast so much - it’s totally Reading Rainbow for adults. 🌈 

@Dcwtada, can’t say that I have but you’ve inspired me to try. I might feel a *little* like Belle, if she had a horrific hangover, bags under her eyes and had just eaten her weight in scones. 😂
  • Options
    @kjr9519, it can be yours if you have an IKEA nearby! 
  • Options
    @laura_pdx your library is AMAZING. 
    Ps. I notice you have pdx in your name. I’m in Oregon too :smile:
  • Options
    @chrssyms Have you been to The Book Thing? A friend suggested it when we were in Baltimore.. OMG it was amazing!!! Wish we had a place like that near us.
  • Options
    @wearyfuzzball I have not been to The Book Thing. I’ve heard of it before, it’s actually close to the Baltimore Book Bank which is a book donation place that sells books and uses the proceeds to buy books for Baltimore-City kiddos.  My DH is a bit of a book snob tho, so he prefers new books unless they are antiques or something. I actually found him a first edition of Hinge if Fate from Winston’s Churchill’s WWII series. I found it at Second Chance which always has a bunch of fun house treasures!