June 2019 Moms

GTKY: Books!

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? 

What are some of your favorite books?

What are you planning on reading next? 

What's your favorite children's book?
TW
Me: 33 DH: 32
DS:  March 2014
DD: May 2015
BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: GTKY: Books!

• Loading the player...
  • What's the last book you read or what are you reading now?  Something in the Water

What are some of your favorite books?  Nightingale, Into the Water, To all the boys I've loved Before, Luckiest Girl Alive, Never Never, Harry Potter, The Lunar Chronicles (all the YA hits) ...Pretty all over the board. Also, I am down for a good Romance every once in a while!

What are you planning on reading next? I am in a book rut. I have tried to start like 5 books and can't get into any of them.

What's your favorite children's book? Hmmm. We like lots of Children's books. We are really into a Captain Underpants kick right now.
  • Love this topic

@eleven_ I read Before We Were Yours when I was a couple months postpartum and I cried so many times. It's so good but so heart breaking. I couldn't put it down.

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I just finished After Anna and before that was Small Great Things. Currently reading The Engagements. 

What are some of your favorite books? Love Harry Potter, The Outlander Series, The In Death series by J.D. Robb, The Other Boylen Girl, so many others too though.

What are you planning on reading next? I just started The Engagements. Excited for this topic to find some new books.

What's your favorite children's book? Right now Daniel the Tiger books are very popular in our house. 
  • What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? Crazy rich Asians. Tbh I didn’t like it and can’t figure out why it was made into a movie. 

What are some of your favorite books? Sarah’s key, the secret life of violet grant, anything by Kate Morton, basically historical fiction is my jam. I am also a big Harry Potter fan. 

What are you planning on reading next? I don’t have anything on my wish list right now.

What's your favorite children's book? What do people do all day by Richard Scarry. It’s a classic
  • What's the last book you read or what are you reading now?  The Tibetan Book of the Dead, an Alexander Hamilton biography and The Immortalists.

What are some of your favorite books? I appreciate them all - history, fiction, etc. 

What are you planning on reading next? Probably some pregnancy books - ha!

What's your favorite children's book? I'm a big fan of Shel Silverstein, but also the classics like Charlotte's Web and the BFG
  • @goodgodlemon I bought The Sellout, but I haven’t started it yet. Let me know how you like it when you’re finished!

@runyogamom I loved the Outlander series. A friend of mine just told me to read Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati if I was an Outlander fan. I might read it next!

@meatballs37 I watched Crazy Rich Asians in the theatre and was really disappointed because I had heard the book was good and the movie had really good reviews. The movie did not make me want to read the book.

TW

• @eleven_ I’m glad I didn’t waste any money seeing it then!

Off topic: We went and saw a star is born instead and I wish we hadn’t seen that one either. Phenomenal acting, however extremely depressing 
  • What's the last book you read or what are you reading now?  Currently on book 2 of Dean Koontzs Jane Hawk series

What are some of your favorite books? DKs Odd Thomas books are amazing. Classics I love Brave New World and Catch-22 (though this took me years to successfully get through)

What are you planning on reading next? Plan to finish the Hawk series because the last book should be out by the time I'm caught up.

What's your favorite children's book? Oh gosh. The next series I want to re read is the Wrinkle In time (I may actually cut in with this because I want to see the movie).
  • @meatballs37 Have you read The Clockmaker's Daughter (new Kate Morton)? It's sitting on my desk right now but I haven't started it yet. Pretty cover at least!

I am currently reading Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It's great, but I've just started. I always have like 6 going, so also Sapiens (Kindle), and The Last Mrs. Parrish (audible), and Force of Nature (library). 

What are some of your favorite books? Some recent favorites were A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel, and The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

What are you planning on reading next? I just got a STACK-- new Robert Galbraith and Tana French mysteries, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, and a few others. My eyes are definitely bigger than my metaphorical stomach...

What's your favorite children's book? I probably read the Giver 15 times as a kid. 
    TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• edited October 2018
    @eleven_ have you tried any N.K. Jemisin books? I'm on a kick with her stuff right now. A few sci-fi/fantasy series, and she's working on new stuff, too.

Edited to add: I'll fill out the rest of the GTKY when I'm not on mobile, or when I'm next in a super-boring meeting and can get away with looking like I'm writing a really intense/urgent email.
  • @bumblebee0210 I haven’t! Maybe that should go on my next read list! 
  • @bumblebee0210 Tana French is my absolute favorite author! Does she have a new book out? Running off to google now
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited October 2018
    Great thread, thanks for starting it!

I am reading Our Man in Havana, a British spy comedy-drama, set in the late 1950s Cuba, by Graham Greene.

I love modernist short stories, and all the Beatnik stuff. Lately, I've been reading mostly non-fiction ("edutainment?"). From the serious history ones, I'd recommend highly The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, about the tensions among the European great powers that led to WWI. There are a number of interesting books on the subject but this one takes the cake in terms of thoroughness of research and writing style (it also got a Pulitzer). From the more recent ones, I love Atul Gawande's epic commentaries on the state of our health system. I'd recommend Complications but most of what I've read of his is very well written-informative and entertaining.

For pregnancy, I'm a fan of Emily Oster's Expecting Better, and look forward to her new one, Cribsheet, on parenting in the early years (coming out in April).

What are you planning on reading next? Looking for recommendations!

What's your favorite children's book? Nobody's Boy (also translated as Alone in the World) by Hector Malot - it's about growing up as an orphan. I loved it as a kid. It very gently explores human (and animal) relationships from the point of view of a 10-year-old boy.

• mamamaggie524mamamaggie524 member
    edited October 2018

I recently finished I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez. It was a beautiful book though very depressing at times. 

Stranger In a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen, The Hot Zone by Richard Preston, and The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien. My tastes run all over the map.

i have been on the lookout for Crazy Rich Asians at the library though I am starting to reconsider based on the reviews here. 

What’s your favorite children’s book?

It’s a toss up between The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander. I just love them both so much. 
  • @eleven_ I will definitely let you know! So far so good. 

@bumblebee0210 Have you read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt? I really enjoy her writing. 

• @spacepiraterunner I just finished reading The Fifth Season yesterday and loved it. So good! I'm trying to figure out which of her books I should read next. Any particular recommendations?

@marijaa333 Loved Expecting Better! I craved sushi my entire pregnancy with DS, and didn't eat any! I'm using this book as evidence that sushi is okay this time around. Still not drinking any alcohol though. That's a little too out there for me. 

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? Other than the two above, most recently I finished Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. I liked it! Currently, I'm reading The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth. I'm a huge language nerd, so I am really enjoying it.

What are some of your favorite books? I've been reading a lot of fantasy, so I like Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and anything by Tolkien. Less recently, Jane Austen's books; Jane Eyre; Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue by John McWhorter; Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynn Truss; The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

What are you planning on reading next? I'm not sure yet! I have a pretty long list of ebooks from my library I'm eventually going to read, but none of them are really exciting me enough to borrow them right now. 

What's your favorite children's book? Harry Potter, The Hobbit (but hated the movies), Chronicles of Narnia
  • @spacepiraterunner I did read The Fifth Season and while I liked it, I didn’t care to continue the series. I can’t remember how it ended, but I was ready to read something else.

@abbsters-2 I loved Spinning Silver! Have you read her other book called Uprooted? I have it listed above as a favorite of mine. I love her writing style so much! I also love the Stormlight Archive and I can’t wait for the next Name of the Wind book. We’ve been waiting so long! Have you tried reading Wheel of Time? Brandon Sanderson finished writing the series for Robert Jordan after he passed away. If you like epic fantasy, they are fantastic!

TW

• @eleven_ That's awesome! I loved Uprooted too! I'm definitely a fan of her books now! Agreed on NOTW: at this point, I'm hoping we'll get book 3 before 2025. It feels like we've been waiting forever!

I haven't read Wheel of Time. That's a good suggestion. I needed a new book (or series) to read!
  • @goodgodlemon Yes! I liked The Secret History better, but I liked the Goldfinch as well. I feel like I am in the minority there though-- a lot of people hated the Goldfinch, despite the whole Pulitzer thing. p.s.-- great screen name. 

@spacepiraterunner @eleven_ I've read the first two books in that series (Broken Earth?) and each time needed a long break, but ultimately enjoyed them. FWIW, I thought the second was better than the first. 

@TJtheGoat  Yes!! Came out Tuesday and I had it shipped the day it came out, which I have not done since the Harry Potter release days. Apparently it's not a Dublin Murder Squad book but it is a mystery. 

TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• I love books. I collect leather-bound books. I have not had enough time lately to read. Favorite author is Debbie Macomber. I read one of her Christmas books that I last Christmas...during the summer.
  • edited October 2018
    @bumblebee0210 @eleven_ @abbsters-2 I agree on Fifth Season/Broken Earth being a series that you have to take your time with and a fairly slow read; my favorite series of hers is the Inheritance trilogy (starts with The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms).

Edit to add: anyone else obsessed with the Throne of Glass series? And I also love her other series (Court of Thorns). And the Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite newer young adult series (YA post-apocalyptic fiction is my favorite guilty pleasure. Brain candy!)
  • @eleven_ I loved Sanderson's Mistborn and Warbreaker. Is Stormlight Archive in the same vein, or is it more like when he was writing for Jordan? 
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited October 2018
    @spacepiraterunner Ahhh Mistborn was sooo good, huh? I haven't read Warbreaker yet. Stormlight is written more like Mistborn I would say. I listened to the audiobooks and the narrators are fantastic!

ETA: And yes! I loved Throne of Glass and ACOTAR series. I'm truly obsessed. 
    TW

• @bumblebee0210 Yes! I actually had people come up to me while I was reading the book in public and tell me how much they hated it haha. I definitely felt like I was in the minority liking it. And thank you! 30 Rock is favorite of mine. 
  • What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I'll be Gone in The Dark by Michelle McNamara

What are some of your favorite books? The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseinni, Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay 

What are you planning on reading next? Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff

What's your favorite children's book? Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch
  • @eleven_ I absolutely love this GTKY!

Currently in the middle of A Lion Among Men.

I’m so terrible at remembering all the ones I love, but Jane Austen books, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis all definately top my list.

Love in the Time of Cholera is next, but I buy books faster than I can read them, so my to read list is long.

Again, I’m bad at remembering good books off of the top of my head, but I loved the American Girl series when I was younger.
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited October 2018
    @kjr9519 What a wonderful book, Love in the Time of Cholera. Marquez reminds me of being young and learning about the world and people from books. Enjoy!

A question for the group : how many read real books v electronic readers (Kindle etc.)?
  • Yay! Love this thread - thanks @eleven_

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? Currently reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

What are some of your favorite books? I'm a sucker for a good series - recent faves were the Lorien Legacies (I Am Number Four), Red Sparrow and The Mistborn Series (personal fave).

What are you planning on reading next? Honestly not sure. I usually just go through my Goodreads "Want to Read" shelf and see what's available at the library.

What's your favorite children's book? Berenstain Bears!
  • @marijaa333 I do both, but recently more on my kindle. That way when I fall asleep, I don't lose my place :smile:

@eleven_ @spacepiraterunner @abbster18 love to see some fellow sci fi lovers here!

• Goodness, I’m going to sound like an uncultured ass next to these literary choices! Haha. I swear, I do read/have read the classics! 😂

Currently working my way back through the Harry Potter series. They’re my feel good anti-anxiety staples.

I’m a sci-fi/fantasy lover and I get deeply attached to characters, so I prefer series and epic sagas. I love the Kushiel’s Dart series by Jacqueline Carey, the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, the Seven Waters trilogy by Juliet Mariller, and, if I’m in the mood for a series that’s just plan fun, the Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia. That said, I also love Ken Follet’s Pillars of the Earth (and other historical fiction), and I have a soft spot for Shakespeare.

Im anxiously awaiting the next installment of The Cruel Prince. It’s YA, but we read it as part of my July ‘17 book club and it was very well received. I also love crime and mystery novels, particularly Jeffry Deaver and Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, so I’ll be on the lookout for their work as well.

I loved the Boxcar Children, the Chronicles of Narnia, and the Berenstien Bears. I also loved A Wrinkle in Time. My dad also used to read to me every night, a couple chapters at a time, and one of my favorites was the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, which I know aren’t children’s books, but they were read to me as a child, so 🤷🏼‍♀️.

Bonus Question, e-reader or paper?
    I alternate. I certainly read on my phone via the kindle app a lot, but nothing beats the stocked library we have in our den and the feel and smell of a paper book.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVE this thread!  Curling up with a book (or kindle) and a cup of tea is one of my favourite things ever.  Like you @KissMeImScottish, I'm readying more "beach" type books right now.  I love the classics, but with the stress and anxiety over the last year, I need something light and fluffy :)  Jeffrey Deaver is one of my all time favourites.  Robert Crais too, have you read his series?

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? China Lake by Meg Gardiner

What are some of your favorite books? I love crime/court books, but some of my favourites that aren't in this genre are The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Catcher in the Rye, and The Rosie Project.

What are you planning on reading next? Oh, I have a long list!  To All the Boys I've loved Before, and Crazy Rich Asians are on there.

What's your favorite children's book? Harry Potter, the Richard Scarry books, Sandra Boynton books for little ones, The Gruffalo... so many!

• I use a nook.  I miss the feel of a real book but the nook is so much more convenient for me.  I read in bed before going to sleep every night and can just turn on the glowlight to read.  I don't need a book light or a lamp or anything and it doesn't bother DH. I also like that when I finish a book I can just hop on the computer to grab a new one.  
    One thing on the nook I don't like is when I'm close to the end of a book and don't realize it. Then it's sad and surprising that it's over.
  • @kissmeimscottish I LOVE THE SEVEN WATERS SERIES. I’m a die-hard fan. I couldn’t get into Kushiel’s Dart though. I found it strange and hard to follow. I loved Pillars of Earth too! I want to read the second one soon. Have you read it?

@marijaa33 I listen to a lot of audiobooks because I have a long commute. I also love to listen while I clean and fold laundry. I wish I had more time to sit down and read real books though. There is something so satisfying about holding the actual book in your hands.

TW

• @runyogamom @KissMeImScottish @wearyfuzzball @eleven_ Nice, thanks for responding! I also do both, theoretically prefer an old fashioned book but I end up reading a lot on airplanes and the Kindle is more convenient. @eleven_ I cannot figure out how to get Audible working... I need to dedicate serious time to it, audiobooks would be so good for my commute too.

• This is awesome! Thanks for starting! I've been slacking on the reading lately, and I need to get a new list going.

What's the last book you read or what are you reading now? I think the last thing I finished was The Woman in the Window. It was good - a Gone Girl/Girl on the Train type book. Very similar. But easy to read. I'm also in the camp of wanting more "airplane" books these days. This time of life is hard, so reading needs to be easy right now.

What are some of your favorite books? So many, and I can never think on the spot. For sure the Harry Potter series, The Time Traveler's Wife, the Tudor series by Philippa Gregory, 1984, The Art of Racing in the Rain.... so many more?

What are you planning on reading next? Here for suggestions! I"d like to read the Handmaid's Tale, but I've seen the show. I have several audible books on my list.

What's your favorite children's book? As far as little kids, I love LOVE the Velveteen Rabbit. Older, Narnia books, Harry Potter, A Wrinkle in Time series. 

Bonus: I prefer paper - although paperback is so much easier, since I like to hold books one handed - but the Nook/Kindle is so much more convenient. My nook is dead and I had figured out how to borrow books from the library and get them on there, and now I can't figure it out. So, that's frustrating. And we're budgeting so I don't want to spend $10-15 per book. So I need to figure something out. 
  • @ShadeofGreen816 it sounds like we read a lot of similar stuff! Love that you read Philippa Gregory. I love her writing. 

For everyone who uses nooks/kindles, I discovered that I could apply online and receive in the mail a library card from a library in a different city. Maybe everyone knows that already? But it's been super handy because my library's online list is smaller and there aren't as many copies of books available. But the library in a bigger city has so many more copies and options. It's been very useful.  
  • @marijaa333 I loved Expecting Better, it was a much easier book to get into than the typical "What to Expect"

• @eleven_, you know, it’s funny, you’re not the first person I know who has had a hard time getting into the Kushiel series. I found the first part of the book difficult on my first read through, but once Phaedre got into Skaldia, I felt like the story picked up. And I get attached to characters, so that keeps me going.

I HAVE read the second Ken Follet book! I didn’t find it as compelling as the first, but it was still a very good read, and I think my state of mind has a lot to do with my enjoyment of a book, and I was not in a good place when I read this one, so I may have to give it another go.

I LOVE that you’ve read the Seven Waters trilogy - it’s a bit more obscure, so it’s awesome to meet part of the fan base, as it were.

@marijaa333, I LOVE Audible. With 3 kids, I rarely get time to just read, so I almost always have a book tape on in the background while I’m making dinner or cleaning or doing laundry. Highly recommend.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KissMeImScottish @eleven_ I also loved the Pillars of the Earth and couldn't put them down. I read the series on the World Wars, I think those are the Century Trilogy, which I enjoyed but not as much as Pillars.

@marijaa333 I prefer to have the actual book in my hand to read. I like being able to quickly go back and reread something if I need clarification but electronic is definitely so much easier when you're traveling.