February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a STM week of October 8th

2»

Re: Ask a STM week of October 8th

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @grebretso I found it was a lot of trial and error.  I also had a baby shower thrown for me by family and I got TONS of stuff - alot that I realized I didn't need right away or at all.  In the beginning, you know the basics you need (and moms above really hit the nails on the head).  If you BFing you may want to stock up on some BF materials.  If you end up bottle feeding - you can buy a single bottle here and there and see what fits your needs.  Same goes if you will need formula.  I find that bathtime stuff is essential as well - towels, washcloths etc.  I liked having a ton of clothes because, let's be real, babies are messy and you change them often.  Basic onesies, sleepers, etc. 

As far as baby carriers, swings, etc that can wait a little bit but it's really hard to tell what your LO will like.  I was gifted a mamaroo at my shower which is an expensive item - I've loaned it out to two friends who had babies after me and it's coming home to me for this LO.    I also found I didn't really need a diaper bag but that's just me - I ended up throwing extra items in my purse or a regular ol backpack lol.  My suggestion is keep tags on everything so you're able to return unused items that don't work out!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Outside of nursery furniture I’m just getting bassinet for our room, portable crib for travel/main level, car seat, stroller, feeding supplies, bath/health stuff, and wraps for baby wearing. Am I gonna regret a minimalist approach? I just HATE having stuff for the sake of it and think most everything else I can get if it seems baby might use it? 
  • Options
    Sounds about the same as I’m getting @megpants209, although I might get a couple carriers for baby wearing to try and return what I don’t like. If I even end up baby wearing at all, my mom hated it and I’m similar to her in many ways, so whatever she does I usually copy and it works out.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @grebretso - Definitely trial and error. 

For example, with my DD, she hated the Rock n Play but my son loved it. My DD has a Fisher Price swing that was great but we were gifted a Mamaroo for my son so we tried that and he hated it. Dug the Fisher Price swing out of storage and it was a win. 

Bottom line, it’s a crapshoot. Yay babies!  :D
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @grebretso - so much is preference. With my first, we didn't buy a ton of stuff a head of time. We knew the baby needed a place to sleep (crib/crib sheets/etc), clothing (just basic onesies, pants, hats, socks), feeding/food stuff (I planned to BF so I bought nursing tanks, nursing pads, nipple butter, etc). And really that's it. We did get a carrier (a k'tan) that worked early on, but with my second, I preferred a ring sling (DH preferred the k'tan, though). Oh and car seat/stroller. Even diapers we really didn't buy because we didn't know what would work or what size we would need 100%.

For us, it was also good because it got me/us out of the house. I would go to Target most weeks midday just to get out of the house, which was good for me and the baby. Also, with all the online delivery options we have in the Seattle area, I wouldn't worry so much.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @grebretso I didn't much love baby wearing except for in the house when DS was very little and in the moby wrap.  I had an Ergo but I ended up getting rid of it because it was so uncomfortable.   I may regret that decision as I think I may need to baby wear this LO more but I still have the Moby Wrap so there's that.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @grebretso  with my first, i took someone else’s advice that an audio monitor was good enough. As a FTM I was constantly questioning what sound was that and running in the room a million times. Already bought a video monitor for this time. A lot of what you decide depends on if family, etc is buying things, then I would ask for it all and see whhat they buy you.
  • Options
    We used an audio only monitor with our first. We used nothing with our second. I doubt we will use anything with this one either. Our house isn't huge, so it's really not necessary.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @grebretso- Soooo much of what I had and used was a hand-me-down/loan from a good friend who had three boys.  If you can find that, take it because then it's no investment and you can go to the store if their version of X doesn't fly for you. 
  • Options
    @grebretso so much depends on baby, and it's so hard because you want to be prepared ahead of time! I was lucky with DD, she was pretty chill with most things. Some babies are very easy-going, some are very particular, some are a mix. Some babies have sensitivities to items like soaps, diapers, wipes. You have no clue until you try it.

I'd still be as prepared as possible, because you are going to have to try SOMETHING first. I tried to buy things that I heard the most positive reviews for (obviously), and just don't get tons of the same thing (like bottles, pacifiers, diapers etc) until after baby tries it. 

For the bigger items, I hear it's mostly the swings that babies either love or hate. I think everything else is pretty much ok, but I can't talk because I had an ''easy" baby >_<

Just go in knowing baby will keep you on your toes and throw all plans out the window and you'll be fine  :D
  • Options
    I loved baby wearing but DD hated it  :D hopefully I'll get more use out of my carriers this time! 
  • Options
    @megpants209 that's perfectly fine. Most of the extra stuff is preference/convenience, which may or may not play a role in your sanity level during those newborn days lol. It all depends! Now that you can order most things online and won't have to worry about lugging LO if you need something later, I think you'll be ok. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll get the big items I've mostly decided on (stroller, car seat, bassinet) and then wait with the rest. Honestly don't think I'll be baby wearing much but I'll give it a shot. Not until after baby comes though, so I can try it with him! I also have a couple friends who have offered a bunch of stuff. One of my friends has a baby boy who will be turning 1 a couple weeks after my due date, and he's her last child so hand me downs from him are perfect. 

I guess I was mostly worried because I've definitely heard people say how their baby hated big purchases like the bassinet or crib, but honestly, it's just a surface they sleep on. Maybe it's the swaddle or sleep sack they don't like? I already have a couple different swaddles I got for cheap and free second hand, once I figure out which one baby likes I'll get more of that type. Seems like trial and error is the way to go. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    That looks like a great compromise @conchispita. Thank you for posting it because I would never have known that such a thing even existed. 
  • Options
    How do I keep from rolling onto my back during my sleep? Every time I wake up, I'm lying on my back - comfy body pillow beside me... Is sleeping on my back as bad as it seems? I was thinking putting something that would be uncomfortable to lay on behind me so I don't roll onto it, but any other suggestions?? 
  • Options
    @mommin135 I’ve found the big U shaped kind of pregnancy pillow helpful for that, because I can position it in such a way that there physically isn’t space for me to move onto my back, and it’s heavy enough that I generally won’t be able to move it in my sleep (I kept shoving smaller pillows aside and rolling onto my back before I got it). That said, I felt a lot better about occasional back sleeping after my midwife explained to me that before it’s actually dangerous for baby you’ll wake up, because the artery that gets compressed is the same main artery that supplies blood to your legs. So, you’ll wake up anyway before you actually cut off oxygen to baby, because your legs will get all tingly and uncomfortable first. 
  • Options
    @mommin135 - it’s actually not that big of a deal especially this early. I worried so much about it with my first and mentioned it to my awesome practical OB who was like “you’re going to get uncomfortable and need to roll before anything bad happens”.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @jessier19 @kayjay44 thank you! That’s reassuring. Considering I normally wake up and readjust, I don’t imagine I’m spending much time sleeping that way anyway. I will worry less about it 
  • Options
    @kayjay44- Mine said the same during my first pregnancy! 👍
  • Options
    Anterior placenta.. will i get to feel baby move around more as they grow or do i just get subtle movement throughout?   I do get good kicks but just curious how much movement im missing out on.  
  • Options
    @grebretso due to all the SIDS restrictions, most cribs are pretty much the same. So if baby hates the crib, he probably hates all cribs. But he'll come around one way or another. That's a whole other can of worms  ;) (see what I did there)
  • Options
    @cass06_07 - it’ll be no different soon enough. I had AP with my first two and after 25 weeks-ish, it’s basically the same. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    woohoo!!  thanks @kayjay44 :)
  • Options
    My advice for the swing, RNP, etc. Borrow them all from a friend before you buy anything. My kids loved the swing so far, but hated the RNP we borrowed from a friend. I would have been pissed if we’d bought it before trying it. We were lucky and got a lot of the big stuff as baby shower gifts, but the stuff we didn’t get, we borrowed before we bought. 

The bassinet....we have one. It was literally used for naps. I kicked DH out of the bed for the first 3 months and coslept with DS. I don’t regret it and I’ll probably do the same this time around. Life in the beginning was much harder with DD because I obsessed over her sleeping in the bassinet. I got much better sleep and so did DS with cosleeping. There is a safe and unsafe way to do it and it’s not for everyone, but that’s what worked best for us.