February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a STM week of October 8th

FTMs asking STMs any and all questions!

Re: Ask a STM week of October 8th

• Options
    edited October 2018
    @disneybaby84 That's really helpful info that I'm sure will come in handy later on!

Edit: I posted about baby clothes to bring to the hospital, but then I remembered that there will be a hospital bag product spotlight in a few weeks, so disregard this question! I'll ask it there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate Gerber clothes personally - they fit insanely small and are so freaking thin and poorly sewn. 

I pretty much exclusively buy Cat and Jack because Target is cheap (even when not on sale) and I get 5% with my Red Card. I also like Carters for some stuff, but it's crazy expensive not on sale. I also buy lots of Hanna Andersson PJs because they are so damn good - as are their socks - always on sale, though.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @kayjay44 I forgot about carter's, since I used to buy them at Babies R Us when a sale was running. As far as Carter's goes, I would say them fit majority of babies, nowadays, Carter's can be found at Buy Buy Baby, sometimes Target or at a Carter's store or on their website.
  • Options
    Carters outlets ftw! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Carters has a decent rewards program and always has coupons. 

Gap Baby usually has decent sales too. 

Love Cat & Jack (Target). 

Gerber is crap. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Just want to chime in and share my love of Gymboree. They have awesome sales like all the time and their clothes hold up really well in my experience. They run a little bit on the big side though so keep that in mind. And they have a lot of really cute stuff!
  • Options
    I'm with @kayjay44, get the zipper pjs. Middle of the night diaper changes when I am half asleep with button pjs = Non aligned buttons and way more effort than I can give in the middle of the  night.  Zippers for the win! 
  • Options
    kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited October 2018
    Venessa88 said:
    I'm with @kayjay44, get the zipper pjs. Middle of the night diaper changes when I am half asleep with button pjs = Non aligned buttons and way more effort than I can give in the middle of the  night.  Zippers for the win! 
    I can barely button my own clothes with a newborn :D Half the time the buttons are off.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Husband and I disagree on this. I plan on BF'ing and want a bassinet with a drop down side for beside the bed. He thinks it's a waste of money and space. Our bedroom is big enough and he wants to put the crib in our room initially. I understand that the bassinet is short term and pricey but feel it's worth it especially since we plan on hopefully having more kids.

Would really appreciate any opinions for either side
  • Options
    I will also back up zipper pjs, except for the occasional cute ones that are only button up. 
  • Options
    @ksdelong20 - this is baby 3 for me (and the last baby) and I’m getting a bassinet because we have the space finally (probably a halo swivel). Even for one baby, between how useful it will be and the resale value, it’s worth every penny. I coslept with DS and DH can’t sleep in the bed when I cosleep because of his sleep issues (he does wierd shit and doesn’t wake up when he moves/rolls over) and this will allow him to be in the room and still sleep close to DS2. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @ksdelong20 - Like @kayjay44, this is baby #3 and we are opting for the Halo Swivel Bassinet. I feel like it’s resale value makes it more worth it that it may seem at first glance. And as a c-section momma, I’m thrilled to have an option where getting baby is easier because of the ability to swivel over the bed. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    Seconding Carter’s outlet! Although some of their clothes get super soft in the wash and some stay stiff/rough (probably dependent on the amount of dye needed - although that’s not even consistent) and I feel like it doesn’t necessarily make sense why that happens. We also buy most of our baby/toddler clothes at consignment stores and consignment sales. They grow so fast it feels like a waste to pay for an outfit they’ll wear two or three times 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Hey there, STMs! Any advice on getting your newborn on a schedule? I’ve read a bunch of stuff, I’m just not sure how realistic it is to have an actual schedule. 
  • Options
    TTMs: I've found a dilemma in trying to prepare DD for LO. I can't decide if I should soak up all the time I can with her now (what I WANT to do) in her last months as an only child, or if that will backfire and she will resent LO and have adjustment issues once LO comes and I will have to suddenly drastically reduce my time with/attention on DD.

How did you spend your time in your oldest's last months as an only child and how did that work out? Thank you.
  • Options
    @nataliezbrungart - TTM here. After the fog of the first couple of weeks lifts, I’ve used the EASY Schedule with both of mine. If your nursing, you are likely to just feed on demand but my kids fell into a pattern of eating every 3 hours somimplementing the EASY Schedule was easy enough. We started a bedtime routine early too. You’ll find what works best for you and your baby!

@notthecheat - I think a healthy mix of both is a good idea. With my first, she was 2-2.5 while I was pregnant with my son. We carried on like business as usual and would talk about the baby, being a big sister, etc. We’re taking the same approach with our son who is 3.5 and will be almost 4 when this baby is born. He tells everyone about his baby, likes to help pick out clothes/ toys for him, etc. But him and I get lots of 1 on 1 time too because I’m a SAHM this school year. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    @nataliezbrungart We never really got DS on a strict schedule, although I've heard that works really well for some kids. For us, we were really consistent about the bedtime routine, always put him down drowsy but awake and tried to feed after he woke up. As soon as we got him in a loose schedule, he'd go through a sleep regression or growth spurt or get a tooth. I did read Babywise though and found the theories to be helpful if not the exact schedule.
  • Options
    @nataliezbrungart after they hit 3 months, you get to know your baby better and can start establishing a routine of sorts. As a baby goes through different ages their number of naps and length of naps/ length of nighttime sleeping, will change. I think it was around 5 or 6 months l learned what time is the best bedtime for my son, because he was consistently showing the signs of sleepiness at the same time several nights in a row. From newborn to 4 or 5 months if you follow the signs of when they show they are hungry or sleepy then that will mostly dictate their schedule.
    @notthecheat I'm in a similiar boat as you having my first child and trying to prepare for the next one. One thing I have done is tried to start any changes or transitions now. For example, my son started his new daycare second week of September and is now showing signs that he has adjusted. We have moved almost all the baby/ infant stuff into the nursery so he isn't surprised in February when it is all gone. 
  • Options
    @notthecheat - We spent time with DD, but nothing excessive/obsessive. We spent a lot of time going to the zoo and the childrens museum and made sure to keep doing that after DS came - he would hang out in the carrier or stroller while DD still got to do fun things. Also, when DH would get home with DD everyday, I would hand the baby off to him for 30 minutes to an hour and spend dedicated time with DD. DD still went to daycare and my parents would take her here and there so she still got attention and it was never a problem.

@nataliezbrungart - I wouldn't worry about a schedule with a newborn - Really, until 3-4 months, they aren't ready to be on a set schedule. Both my kids generally had a routine from a young age, but you really have to follow their cues as that routine may change at any moment. And I'd say the first 2-4 weeks are basically just survival mode.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Clothes- I actually really like H&M’s basics. They’ve got some soft, affordable, plain clothes for babies. I also like Gap. And have just started trying primary.com, not bad.

bassinet- we have the halo and I’m tempted to try something else for our next round. I didn’t love it as much as I wanted. I’ve heard good things about a few other options. 

Which brings me to my question- anyone like the dockatot? Thinking about it.
  • Options
    @ssag I’ve read some articles recently about Dockatot increasing chances of SIDS and it not being recommended anymore.
  • Options
    Bummer! I did wonder though...
  • Options
    allthingsgoallthingsgo member
    edited October 2018
    @ssag I read similar things to @disneybaby84 as I was really interested in getting one. After researching though I felt it just wasn’t worth the risk. 
  • Options
    @ssag I’ve read some articles recently about Dockatot increasing chances of SIDS and it not being recommended anymore.
    Nooooo I bought one a few months ago :<
  • Options
    What are everyone's thoughts on the rock n play?
  • Options
    What are everyone's thoughts on the rock n play?
    I’m a fan. Not necessarly for extended overnight sleep but as a place to put baby for a bit that is elevated and is portable, I like it. i liked it a lot with my son because it was a place I could put him and strap him in so the dog and toddler didn’t trample him. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    Nooooo I bought one a few months ago :<
    I’ve heard them described as “overpriced dog beds”  :# 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    @notthecheat- I had planned and hoped to use my rock n play like @okayestmom12 describes but unfortunately my kid hated it and cried every time he went in it. Here's hoping son number 2 is a little more chill in his newborn phase!
  • Options
    Rock n play is my best friend! I love programming it from my phone!
  • Options
    This brand called Lou Lou keeps popping up in my Instagram ads. Blankets, mittens, etc. Thoughts?
  • Options
    @ohsunnydays my first thought is, does your local weather require blankets and mittens? 
  • Options
    @ohsunnydays
    My current youngest was a January baby. I kept him in the onesies or sleepers that have the cuffs you can fold over. Much easier than trying to keep anything else on his hands!
  • Options
    @bellebaby221 What were your favorite onesies with cuffs? I'm having a difficult time finding any that zip up and have cuffs.
  • Options
    @notthecheat - my kids hated them. And any sort of swing. Bouncer chairs were ok though. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @nataliezbrungart I don’t remember when we got on a decent schedule with DD. I remember at some point - prob closer to 3 months, I got into the two hour schedule - that’s about as long as they’re awake. Eat, play, snuggle, go back to sleep. It helped me a lot to figure that one out. 

I think Carter’s runs a little small in shirts. So we always do a size up pretty early. Pants have been pretty okay though. Jammies seem to run a little small, too. 
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11
    I think most of what I had were Carters or Gerber. It's been awhile so I can't remember if any of our zipper sleepers had them. I was mostly looking for onesies that kept their hands warm during the day because we swaddled at night which kept their hands pretty warm.