January 2019 Moms
Options

Pre-term labor

I’m not sure where this is supposed to go, but today I went in for my fetal echo and they found that baby boy has a VSD and my cervix is very soft and short and slightly open. I didn’t notice any contractions until after they did the cervixal check, but by the time they put me on the monitor I was having some about every 3 minutes. They gave me medication, iv fluids and are doing some blood work and monitoring me. My contractions have slowed down at the moment. I’m only 22+6 so haven’t reached viability yet. Everything looked fine at my anatomy scan 3 weeks ago and I didn’t notice anything was wrong. :( I was pretty surprised because with my daughter I didn’t go in to labor on my own and wasn’t progressed at all when I went for my induction.
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Pre-term labor

• Options
    @pttomato I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I can only imagine how stressful everything is for you right now. I have no experience with pre-term labour, as this is my first, but wanted to say I’ll be thinking of you and hope that between the medication and monitoring your baby boy stays put long after viability! FWIW, my baby girl also has a small VSD (2mm), and the doctor says that they usually close on their own before birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pttomatoI agree that it's good they caught it now and are monitoring you.  Thank you for updating us.  I wish I could be more help but as a FTM I just don't know about this stuff.  I am wishing baby boy stays nestled in.  Keep us updated and i'll be thinking of you. 
  • Options
    I’m so sorry- How scary-  I’m glad they were able to catch this early.  I don’t have any experience with this but glad they are monitoring you and it must be a good sign that contractions have slowed. 
  • Options
    Oh @pttomato I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with pre-term labor but I will say a prayer for you and your baby boy. I do know someone that was put on bedrest due to a funneling cervix starting around 20 weeks and she successfully delivered her daughter around 34 weeks. Please keep us updated. 
  • Options
    @pttomato I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Sending prayers your way. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pttomato I'm sorry your going through this! I hope baby boy stays comfy and your contractions stop. I'll be saying a prayer for you and your little guy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @pttomato I am so sorry you're having to deal with the worry and stress of PTL. I'm so glad they caught it early and you are being monitored. I'm thinking of you and hoping baby stays put for many, many more weeks!
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    They are giving me tocalytics to stop the contractions and progesterone and then hoping he stays in. We’ll have tough decisions to make if my contractions start again between 23 and 24 weeks because that is a “grey zone” for viability. I can’t believe this morning it was a normal morning and I was feeling good and now I’m here.
  • Options
    Thinking of you! So sorry that you are having to go thru this.
  • Options
    I’m so sorry you are going through this. Another FTM here with no experience or words of wisdom. But thinking of you. Come on little one, stay cozy in there!!!
  • Options
    Best of luck @pttomato!  I know its scary and super stressful but just take it one day at a time.  Do they have you on bed rest also?  How often are you being monitored?  My best advice is listen to your body at this point.  When I was on hospital bed rest I began having back pain and thought it was from being bed ridden for 9 days when it was actually active back labor.  I'm so glad I said something because it was causing DS a lot of stress and I almost let it go until my nurse was due to come in a few hrs later for NST.  If anything feels off or different say something!
  • Options
    Best of luck @pttomato!  I know its scary and super stressful but just take it one day at a time.  Do they have you on bed rest also?  How often are you being monitored?  My best advice is listen to your body at this point.  When I was on hospital bed rest I began having back pain and thought it was from being bed ridden for 9 days when it was actually active back labor.  I'm so glad I said something because it was causing DS a lot of stress and I almost let it go until my nurse was due to come in a few hrs later for NST.  If anything feels off or different say something!
    Yes, I’m on hospital bed rest and they are monitoring me continuously for contractions at this point. Right now getting through a day feels so difficult let alone a week or hopefully more.
  • Options
    @pttomato that is the best place to be.  I will be thinking about you and please let us know if you need anything!!
  • Options
    I know it feels like the rug just got pulled out from under you, and I’m so sorry you are going through this. I’m glad they noticed it early and you are being well cared for. Saying a prayer for peace and much more time with your baby!
  • Options
    Augusta108Augusta108 member
    edited September 2018
    @pttomato, I’m so sorry you’re going through this scary situation! As others have said, I’m glad they at least caught it early so you can do everything possible to have him stay in longer. Sending lots of good thoughts and energy your way, please do keep us updated as you can.
  • Options
    I am really sorry this is all happening. As others said I am glad they were able to catch it and I am praying for you.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending good thoughts and vibes your way. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this! I am so glad they caught it and you're being monitored. Keep us updated and you all are in my thoughts. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sorry you are going through this! 
  • Options
    So sorry @pttomato! There were a couple of women on hospital bed rest on the December board if you want or check that out. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    I’m so sorry @pttomato. I’m glad the hospital is monitoring you right now. My heart goes out to you and hope he stays in longer. Will be thinking of you. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this! Sending all the hugs in the world.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! <3 Sending prayers and good vibes your way to get this little boy to stay put!
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @pttomato
    Sending positive thoughts your way. 
  • Options
    @pttomato, glad your contractions have stopped. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this extra stress. Wishing you all the best!
  • Options
    @pttomato thinking of you. Keep us updated. 
  • Options
    @pttomato I am so sorry you’re going through this and will be praying baby boy stays put. Keep us posted. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    @pttomato thank you for keeping us updated. We are all rooting for you and baby. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Do you think your in-laws have already talked to your daughter?
  • Options
    @pttomato I'm so sorry you're going through this. Thank goodness they were able to get the contractions to stop.  Fingers crossed everything goes well and your little boy stays put for many weeks to come. 

• Options
    Wow!!!! Thinking of you. That must have been so scary! Thankfully they caught it in time and have gotten the contractions to stop.   In my last BMB there was a few ladies were put on hospital bed rest. One of them needed contractions to stop at this stage, and I think she was in the hospital on bed rest until at least 30-33 weeks. I remember her saying it was tough, but worth it.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but it'll be worth the resting! I hope baby boy stays put for a solid few months.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @pttomato I'm so sorry this is happening. I also had to be induced with my first and absolutely nothing would get my cervix to dilate or efface until they broke my water. We tried everything. This time, my cervix started shortening and dilating by my 20 week appointment. I had a cerclage done at 22 weeks and I'm on bed rest until I deliver, likely early, but it'll be around 20 weeks of bed rest total. I also have a 2.5yo DD. I'm so sorry you're in this position and I hope things change in a positive direction for you!! It's great that you have family nearby who can help. We don't have family close but our parents set-up a schedule and are traveling to our home every single weekend Sept-Dec to help DH and DD1. It's a lot to manage and I wish I could say it gets easier. I'm on week 5 and it feels like week 1. 

Have your doctors mentioned doing anything about your cervix or at this point are they just monitoring? While I've had contractions, I feel much better knowing there's a stitch there preventing things from going too far and giving doctors an opportunity to intervene if possible. 
  • Options
    @parentingishard I’m not a candidate for a cerclage, my cervix is too short, plus I’m close to limit of when they do them.

I’m having a really hard time being away from my daughter for potentially for months. I want to do everything I can to keep him in, but I’m really struggling emotionally with the hospital bed rest.
  • Options
    @pttomato I completely understand the emotional turmoil. It's so difficult to focus on protecting and supporting your unborn child that you do not know when your older child, who you know and love, is right here. It's a struggle and it's difficult. You're in the right place and the time will pass. The days are long but looking back, I already cannot believe I'm almost 6 weeks in. The road ahead is long and overwhelming, but it'll be a relatively short time in the grand scheme of things. I take solace in the fact that my DD won't remember this time. Sometimes I think it would be easier if she was older and could understand, but at the end of the day I'd rather her just not remember this time. Thinking of you!!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending lots of :heart: and good thoughts your way.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    @parentingishard I’m sorry you are dealing with this too. It’s hard to really appreciate how hard it is until you are in it. Before this I desperately wanted time alone to just sit and do nothing and now I have it I want all the craziness back, lol. Hopefully both our little ones stay put for a long time still. Do you have any tips for making the time pass? I feel like I should take up a new hobby or take a class and learn something, haha.
  • Options
    pttomato said:
    @parentingishard I’m sorry you are dealing with this too. It’s hard to really appreciate how hard it is until you are in it. Before this I desperately wanted time alone to just sit and do nothing and now I have it I want all the craziness back, lol. Hopefully both our little ones stay put for a long time still. Do you have any tips for making the time pass? I feel like I should take up a new hobby or take a class and learn something, haha.
    I didn't have kids when I was on my bedrest but I filled my time with a lot of netflix, crafts (I painted the things for the nursery), crocheted some hats and blankets, I read books I hadn't had a chance to read yet, and took naps every day. It was hard. It was boring. It was frustrating at times but it was really such a short time looking back. I was on bedrest for 10ish weeks. 
    I don't know what I would do if I had been on bedrest with a toddler. So I can't relate to that aspect but crafting definitely helped pass the time. 

I also bumped A LOT. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    @pttomato can your daughter visit?  I had a constant revolving door of visitors in the afternoons and evenings which helped pass time.  I also caught up on making photo books, did all my xmas shopping online, caught up on some shows and books I had wanted to watch and read and watched a few crafting videos on you tube then had friends or DH bring me supplies to do the crafts.  It was a LONG 9 days but I was hoping to be in there for several weeks so I did my best to stay busy.  Also, do you have any close friends or a sister that could come do a "spa day" for you? I remember wanting nothing more than a shower so one nurse and my mom moved my bed around so they could actually wash my hair (bedpans, cups of water, etc) then they put trash bags over my bed and we used bed pans and shaved my legs and they gave me a mani/pedi.  It might have taken a few hours but it made me feel so much better and helped lift my spirits.