January 2019 Moms
Options

Registry 911!

Some of us FTMs need some help when it comes to our registries!
What are the items we really need to register for? Anything we should avoid? Help us! 

Re: Registry 911!

• Options
    I'm assuming people will gift clothes and blankets.  Do I need to register for these items so people think we need them? I don't want to assume anything.  How would you word that you are requesting bigger sizes newborn? Do people know to gift bigger sizes? Plus what are the must haves? I have things like a humidifier,  white noise machine,  bottle rack,  teething toys,  pacifiers,  matress covers, sheets, changing table. Am I doing this right?
  • Options
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT register for blankets!  I registered for 2, like a dumbo, and received approximately 20! And don't register for clothes unless there is a certain outfit that you want, like a coming home outfit. I received sooooo many clothes at my shower and I registered for none. And almost everyone gifted me newborn sizes for everything. 

My must haves were things that are already on your list. The things I opened and used immediately were bottle rack, bottle brush, steam bags for breast pump stuff. Once baby came home from the hospital, I used the swaddleme swaddles immediately. Good swaddles are truly a lifesaver so look through your registry and read the reviews of the ones you registered for. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    galactickatesgalactickates member
    edited September 2018
    @jgil85 - I didn't register for any swaddles I put that in the blankets box. I'm glad you said something.  Any you recommend or just browse reviews?
  • Options
    @galactickates FTM here so take this with a grain of salt but I thought the website Lucie's List had a really great registry guideline and break down with product suggestions and reviews. I spend days reading through it and then made registry choices based on what I thought was best for our family/situation.
    Most stores these days have "registry checklists" but they only suggest products that they sell and I found them to be much less helpful than what Lucie's List provides.
  • Options
    Here's a link to the registry I had with my first (I changed all identity information). On the left side of the screen, you can switch between available/purchased gifts so you can see everything. I did have several clothing items listed, but no one bought clothing from the registry (granted, a lot of people didn't buy from my registry at all because they couldn't figure out Babylist).

You'll definitely get clothes and allll the blankets. There's really not a way to say 'no NB clothes.' I didn't get that many NB clothes, but got a ton of 3 month size, which, of course was a size that DS flew though. I even strangely got a decent amount of 6 month size clothes.. except DS was born in May, and the 6 mo clothes were very summery, so it wasn't anything he could wear in November. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    @KLS123 +1 to Lucie's List! I've been creeping through that site hard for reviews & recommendations. So far so good!

Are there guidelines for how many big ticket items you put on there? I'm buying all the furniture for the nursery and the car seat. But can I put a stroller (frame for car seat) and bouncers/swings on there? Or should I keep things largely under $100 so no one feels obligated to overspend? I hate asking for too much and mostly just want people to buy things that they feel are fun, that are also things that I need. 
  • Options
    @kianarain I think it’s fine to put big ticket items as long as you have plenty of lower priced options as well.

I put a stroller, car seat, and swing on my registry. Several of my coworkers went in together to buy my car seat. I think Target now has a “group gift” option on their registry for more expensive items. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @KLS123 I've looked through Lucies list but I didn't find it that helpful.  Ive gotten most of my ideas from other parents. Like the nail Frida clippers.  My friend swears by them and the piano play mat which a lot of moms here suggested too.
    She also told me I needed a cool mist humidifier because of mold. Other moms I know swear by their corner changing table.  This is stuff I  didn't see on lucies list, or I missed it.  

Edit - Wow holy typos
  • Options
    Im team put all the things on your registry whether big ticket or not.  I say this for 2 reasons - some people like to go in together for big gifts so you might be surprised AND you'll get a registry completion coupon close to your due date so even if you intend to buy it, you can use the coupon at least!  Also, unless you have a specific type of blanket or outfit you really want, don't even put them on there.  I prefer muslin swaddles so i do have those on our registry but nothing else.
  • Options
    @galactickates yeah that's true, I also have made departures from their recommendations based on what I have seen here, reviews online and other moms (like I also have Frida nail clippers and other items on my registry). I found it a helpful place to start and then refine but it sounds like you are already onto the "refine" step so that's great!
    Still worth mentioning as a resource for other FTMs reading that may be in the "where to start" phase of registering.

• Options
    @KLS123 you're totally right.  If you haven't gotten the bones of your registry - crib,  stroller, car seat registered for to name a few then it's a good resource to start with.  But i'm definitely past that.  I'm definitely wanting to know the day to day can't live without stuff
  • Options
    AliKay20AliKay20 member
    edited September 2018
    I am team add all the things on there even the things you want to get by yourself. The completion discount is worth it! Anything we didn’t end up getting as gifts, we just used the completion discount at the end! 

Swaddles - we got PLENTY of Aden&Anais but I found some other brands I ended up loving more. Lulujo makes the softest swaddles! Some of the A&A ones were not as soft. Also, Little Unicorn. You’ll get swaddles no matter what you have on your registry but if there are specific prints you like or brands, def add those on there! 

Drool bibs - I swear by Copper Pearl. Cute prints too so if you decide to get some, feel free to add those!

Nose Frida is the best. You won’t regret it. Baby might hate you for it but baby will breathe much better after. Ha! 

For bottles - unless you know which ones already, what helped was getting some samples when I opened registries (got some from Buy Buy Baby, Amazon, and Target). This is definitely a hit or miss bc you can do all the research in the world yet if baby ultimately does not like it, it’s no bueno. We used all the sample ones and later bought more of the ones DD preferred. This is just my two cents on it though!

Jumperoo and rock n play - add them. You won’t regret getting them as gifts! 

Some wise mama told me this one time: buy socks that are all the same so you save time and energy looking for the other sock every time you do the damn laundry. HA! I’m thinking of getting all white socks this time around.

People love getting you toys too. Wubbanubs are quite popular whether they’re on your list or not! Same goes for bath toys.

Hope your registry experience is fun for the most part! DH & I walked into Buy Buy Baby and the associate literally walked around the entire store w us going down each category they have. I cried after bc it was so overwhelming. We ended up revising the list after we had some time to process everything. 

ETA: Wubbanubs (paci) are not toys but I just remembered them as I began to type. ;)
  • Options
    I think adding a few toys, books, and outfits you like helps give people an idea of your style, which can be helpful. Don’t worry about listing every toy or basic clothing, but just a few you are excited about.

Other essentials for me are my changing clutch (I have JJ Cole brand), forehead thermometer, carrier (I have a baby k’tan and Beco Gemini that I love), burp cloths (I really like the Green Sprouts brand), swaddle me swaddles, bamboobies nursing pads, cool mist humidifier, diaper pail, and small storage bins for in the dresser/medicine cabinet/downstairs diaper changes. Those storage bins were something I didn’t think of but then made like three trips to Target to buy repeatedly.
  • Options
    @galactickates I used the swaddleme swaddles that velcro with ds1. I plan on reusing those but I did also buy a couple woombie swaddles because my friends swear by them. My ds was a houdini who couldn't be swaddled with a regular swaddle blanket, each baby is different so my advice is don't buy too many until you find something that works for your baby. 
  • Options
    Oh yes, I'm also team put everything you want on your registry! The completion discount makes it totally worth it and it's also a good place to keep track of everything. 

FWIW, my sister had a HUGE registry which I thought was ridiculous but then when she told me she was basically keeping it as a personal shopping list and for the discount I thought it was pretty genius! 
  • Options
    FTM here also- I did put some clothes on my registry but mostly kept it to basic essentials, like onesies, socks, etc. There were a few outfits I saw that I liked that I added.
    I did make sure to add clothes in different sizes, up to I think 9 months. It's not out of the ordinary for my family to have 7-9 lb babies so I didn't want to register for only newborn stuff, knowing that baby might be born ready for the 3 month size. Just something to keep in mind.

I hardly put any toys on- I kind of figure, like clothes, that people will get those even if they aren't on the registry.

Question for those who were team green:
    Did you find that you still got plenty of clothes even if you didn't register for them? It's hard to find gender neutral clothes, so I'm a little worried that lack of selection might make people less likely to gift clothes and I really will end up with 6,000 blankets!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Agree just add anything you need/want to your registry!  I even started a new registry for the few items I need again.

My husband loves having a bottle warmer though I never found one necessary.

I would leave off toys- except a play mat if you want one of those, and the jumperoo type things.

Dont register for a snot sucker as you should get one from the hospital (unless you want a nose frida)

For swaddles- the Woombie (or offbrand) worked great for the first few weeks.

The Velcro ones are nice but freaked me out one night when my ninja daughter somehow broke the Velcro off and I found it covering her face in the MOTN.

I didnt have any Velcro issues when she got a little older- and I think it may have just been the particular brand I bought? I used a lot of Halo sleep sacks and swaddles with no issues.

ive heard the magic Merlin suit mentioned in a previous thread- and loved that as well.
  • Options
    Definitely plus one on the swaddles. I also used the swaddlemes. I need to get some again. 

For outfits or blankets, add a few so people know your style. I can't even begin to list everything I took back because I found them hideous. You'll get ugly clothes anyway but it helps a little I think. DH's cousin registered for a bunch of clothes I didn't like but I still went with her style rather than my own because no one wants someone elses style. 

I registered for baby proofing gear as well because even though you don't need it for 4 to 8 months (depending on when they get super mobile) I already had it and I didn't need to buy it. 

Nursing gear. I registered for extra pump parts, storage bags, creams, tanks, boppy pillow, etc. I got some of it and it was nice to have right away. I took the boppy to the hospital and it was fantastic. 

Bottles. I had a couple of different brands I wanted to try and they were expensive (for bottles). I loved Tommee Tippees but DH didn't. He stuck to classic gerber which thankfully both of my kids did fine with. I wanted to try Dr. Browns but I didn't get them and I didn't purchase them. Whatevs. We didn't end up needing them.

I registered for gripe water, thermometer, hygiene kit, baby shampoo/wash, butt paste

Baby monitor and other nursery specific items like extra sheets, and mattress protectors (TRUST ME), breathable mesh bumper, and some decor type things. 

Playmats, booster seat for the table, (I didn't want a high chair taking up space so I bought the kind that you just put on your existing chair and I had it on there until DS was 2. When they are little and starting out it comes with the tray. When they are older and can eat from the table we just scooted it up to us at dinner. It was fantastic.) a few toys, bath toys, teethers.

I think that's about it. Lol

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    Mustela no rinse cleansing solution! You'll want it and lots of it. LOL. We keep it at the changing table, at the dinner table, and in the diaper bag. 

I love to carry a small plastic wipes carrying case instead of a big pack. It's easier and lighter to carry around. 

I'll come back and add things as I think of the small random things I usually had to run back to the store for!
  • Options
    I agree with those who said to not register for blankets. I didnt register for any with my daughter and ended up with so many blankets it was insane. That being said, I did like the swaddleme as others have. My daughter was able to get out of it, so we would do the swaddleme and then swaddle with an aden + anais on top of it since it was so thin. That kept her pretty contained. 

For other items, put down whatever you need. My experience was that people just bought baby clothes even thought I didnt register for them, and somehow ended up with so many clothes my daughter didnt get to wear some outfits even with multiple outfit changes a day. People just love to buy baby clothes. 

My registry this time (it's mainly a shopping list for me) includes a new stroller, a bath tub, a new diaper pail, the diapers we liked, a monitor, rocking chair, and humidifier. 

My best tip would be to not register for too many things like bottles and pacifiers. Those are the things that you won't know what your baby will like until it gets here. We had to try like 4 different types of bottles and several different pacifiers before we found one my daughter would take. I plan to buy two bottles ahead of time this go round, and if this baby likes them, I will go out and buy more. We also found out after my daughter was here that we hated a certain brand of diapers we had gotten a ton of, and had to spend time trying to return them. 

• Options
    @kmvisioli do you find that a forehead thermometer does the trick? I just got sucked into a Lucie's List rant about how they're inaccurate and rectal thermometers are the way to go. Goes without saying that I'll do anything I need to for baby, but if I could avoid putting something up her butt I would sure prefer it! 
  • Options
    We ended up having several bottles of the same kind, and DD hated them. I second using the samples first, we could've saved probably 80 bucks. 

Things I would recommend for registry: 
    Jumperoo 
    Convertible carseat 
    Pack N play
    Car seat cover winter if you live where it's cold
    Socks
    A way to bath baby, even if you just choose a sling for tub
    Light stroller (we got a super (heavy) nice jogger, ended up buying lighter shopping stroller that we use mostly

• Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited September 2018
    @kianarain Rectal thermometers are a lot more accurate than forehead thermometers. I use the forehead thermometer now that DD is a toddler and it’s hard to get a temperature any other way, but I preferred the rectal temperature when she was really little. I find if I do the forehead thermometer a couple times in a row there is a decent amount of variation in the number.

Eta: I have an Exergen forehead thermometer.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    kianarain said:
    @kmvisioli do you find that a forehead thermometer does the trick? I just got sucked into a Lucie's List rant about how they're inaccurate and rectal thermometers are the way to go. Goes without saying that I'll do anything I need to for baby, but if I could avoid putting something up her butt I would sure prefer it! 
    Go for the rectal. They don't really even care because you aren't shoving it up there or anything. And it may not be the only thing you have to insert so it's not a huge deal. I've had to give both of my kids suppositories for constipation. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    @kianarain maybe it depends on the brand, but I have checked temperature with rectal and Braun forehead at the same time and found mine to be accurate. My main complaint with the rectal is that it’s slow, so as soon as baby is older and more mobile I find it hard to get an accurate read.
  • Options
    I didn’t register for any clothes except for a few basic items like plain white onesies and socks. People will buy you cute outfits and blankets. We didn’t even use all of the blankets we got with DS but we will use them with DS #2. My parents bought us the big items like the crib and glider. I agree with register for things you’ll buy yourself because that completion coupon is awesome. I have a registry even though I’m not having a shower for this baby. It’s more of a “if people ask here’s some stuff I need” kind of thing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and diapers.  Unless you're a diaper snob (I totally am!) i wouldnt register for them because people use them as filler type gifts.  I mention the diaper snob thing because my mom couldnt figure out why i put diapers on my registry.  I used several different types with DS1 and hated so many brands and noticed his skin sensitivity was worse with certain brands.  Because of this, I became a loyal Pampers Swaddler user so I put them on the registry in hopes if anyone chose to buy them, they realize I prefer that brand.
  • Options
    I also registered for a few blankets I wanted, thinking people would ONLY get me those, but I ended up with like 5 other blankets AND the ones I registered for. Register for the things you want to buy yourself, except outfits. Keep in mind you'll get the completion discount at the end :) I found out that the completion discount also counts on things you add literally last minute, so you can add things after your shower that you'll want to buy and want the discount on.

Some things I thought were helpful:
    *Haakaa (amazon)
    *Aquaphor Baby (BEST diaper cream EVER and also works for dry skin)
    *Gripe Water (I didn't know to register for this and ended up running out after a few weeks of nothing else working. This time we'll have it on hand!)
    *The grass dryer rack and a few twigs/flower
    *Bottle brushes!!! Literally, you need multiple since you have to replace them every few months due to bacteria buildup
    *Changing table pad/liners...mind you, you'll have the changing table MATTRESS, then the mattress cover, then a white pad/liner on top of that that you'll change out frequently because it'll get peed on and pooped on. We have 3 larger ones that we rotate frequently and usually end up on our last one by the time I do laundry. Then we have 2 smaller ones in each of our extra changing stations on other levels of the house
    *bibs
    *cloth diaper inserts, we used these for burp cloths and they're amazing!! I only had 1 pack of 10 and that lasted us
    *baby tooth brush AND toddler toothbrush, this is something someone gifted me without me registering for, and I'm glad they did. We had it on hand when it was time!

Obviously register for the bigger things, since you really have NO idea who might go above and beyond. I got the $150 high chair I wanted, the crib, the dresser, the pack and play, the rock and play, a carseat with an extra base, the bath, etc. and I didn't think any of those big things were going to be purchased! Shocked me.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    For some reason everyone gave me bibs instead of blankets so I have a million bibs I hardly used. I’m not sure why that was my most popular gift.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I agree with putting all the bigger things on your registry. We used furniture we already had but our friends all went in on our stroller/carseat duo and my mom and grandma bought our monitor. I think my work friends went in on a gift too I just can't remember which one. I second the cloth diaper inserts as burp clothes. I also has some arm and hammer bags (see attached) that I kept in the diaper bag. Incase baby had a bad spit up or blow out I would put their clothes in the bag to take home. Ziploc bags would probably work too but I think these are probably cheaper. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also I think someone always said it but extra sheet sets and an extra mattress protector. That way you aren't worried about having to do laundry in the middle of the night 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @sweetyjenj aquaphor baby was suggested to me recently and went straight onto my registry!

@pttomato I didn't register for bibs either.  I put that in my blanket/ clothing/ bibs list
  • Options
    Ok registry goddesses...we have a smaller apartment and I’d love to save space. I am all about the Inglesina Fast Dining Chair (clips onto the dining table) as opposed to a full-on high chair. Is this a good move? Mistake? 

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    @rooonilwaazlib I don't know specifics on the highchair you mentioned but we got the fisherprice space saver that attached to a dining room chair and it was great.  We have a dining room/living room combo and try to minimize the stuff and I'm super glad we didn't get a full sized highchair!
  • Options
    @rooonilwaazlib I think it looks really cool and now I want one to keep in my car for when we go out to eat or at a friends/families house....but I'm not sure  how it would be day to day and growing with the baby. The one that we got reclines, which was how we used it with DD before she was old enough to keep herself upright. It was nice to be able to put her in the high chair and recline it back a little so she can be at our height at the table early on, then used it normally from about 6-7m to about 18months, and now she has been insistent on eating like the rest of us, so her high chair converts to a booster so it attaches right onto a chair at the table. So now she thinks she's eating like us at the table, but her booster is attached to a normal chair.
    But until it becomes a booster, a normal high chair does take up a good amount of space.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @rooonilwaazlib I also have the fisher price space saver chair that fastens to a dining chair. It has 5 recline positions so it's good for newborn to toddler. I have an open concept dining/living area and don't have the space for a full high chair.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    Re: forehead thermometer.. I was gifted one and loved it.. it was great to use if I thought DD was running a temp and she was sleeping. If the forehead gave a really high reading (>101), would always confirm with rectal.
  • Options
    +1 for the space saver high chair. The clip-on ones look super cool, and they work great in some spaces, but they do not work on every table and I have seen a table tip when the weight of a baby was clipped to the side. My in-laws have the Cosco folding high chairs, and those are also nice for a smaller space.
  • Options
    @bradleysmommy28 @tosh24 ah!  I’m glad you both mentioned the space saver!!  I had a traditional high chair on our registry, but I was worried about the space!  I didn’t think that there was smaller ones that worked for infants. I guess my research failed me. This looks perfect and I switched it out!