Upfront payment for hospital pre-registration? — The Bump
3rd Trimester

Upfront payment for hospital pre-registration?

Has anyone else run into a situation where the hospital requires a substantial up-front sum before they will allow you to complete pre-registration? I feel like it's unreasonable to pay ahead of time, since there's no way of knowing how much I'll owe until after I have the baby. However, I'm worried that I'll end up in labor and be forced to sit and fill out paperwork while in a lot of pain, etc!

Re: Upfront payment for hospital pre-registration?

• That seems odd since most hospitals would bill your insurance first. I’d call the insurance company and clear it with them and maybe ask your doctor if this is standard protocol.
    ME: 31  DH: 31 DD: June '16 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
    **Ticker Warning**
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Has anyone else run into a situation where the hospital requires a substantial up-front sum before they will allow you to complete pre-registration? I feel like it's unreasonable to pay ahead of time, since there's no way of knowing how much I'll owe until after I have the baby. However, I'm worried that I'll end up in labor and be forced to sit and fill out paperwork while in a lot of pain, etc!
    It's becoming a standard practice, especially with higher deductible. If payment is upfront, they know they are paid
      If waiting until after insurance telling them how much you owe, and people dont pay - they are out that money and the costs go up to everyone else. 

So basically it's a safety net for them. 
  • I didn't preregister at the hospital for my son and they didn't make me fill out any paperwork (other than typical sign-in) until after he was born. I think they understand not to bother a woman who is having contractions and focusing on breathing. That or they'll just have your husband fill them out for you. I have a high deductible plan and they put my L&D through insurance first and then I got a bill for the rest.
    IUI 08/2013 - natural cycle, BFN
    IUI 10/2013 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 11/2013 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 03/2014 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 05/2014 - Femara + FSH, BFN
    IUI 06/2014 - FSH, BFP! DS born 02/2015

TTC #2
    W IUI 08/2017 - Femara, BFN
    W IUI 10/2017 - Femara, BFN
    W diagnosed as low AMH
    Me: PCOS
    Myo-Inositol, NAC, prenatals