April 2019 Moms

Re: UOs 9/13

• Options
    mermaidca said:
    We got snow last night.  It's September.  My U/O - I love snow and winter and cold!  I don't ski or do any sort of winter sports but the feeling of snuggling by a fire while big snowflakes fall is amazing.
    All I want is to be cuddled on my couch in a cozy sweater and some leggings. I started googling new slippers last night because my old pair is kaput. I also really love winter (for the first three months or so. When it's snowing next April I will not feel the same).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mermaidca said:
    We got snow last night.  It's September.  My U/O - I love snow and winter and cold!  I don't ski or do any sort of winter sports but the feeling of snuggling by a fire while big snowflakes fall is amazing.
    I LOVE the first snow! This summer was so so so gross and hot. I’m ready for snow. 
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname I completely agree! My parents never cursed in front of us, always used cutesy terms for genitals, and our sex talk was “don’t do it yet”. Now as much as it makes me uncomfortable, I use anatomically correct vocabulary with DS because I don’t want him to grow up as uncomfortable as I did.
  • Options
    I wish I lived somewhere with more actual season like seasons. It’s like 8 months of summer here and 4 months of spring/fall. I would love to live where it snows every winter. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    The only good Bravo show is Top Chef.
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname and @wearegroot good for you guys. All parents should teach their kids real anatomical terms, etc. Creating taboos around body parts and sex makes children more vulnerable to sexual predators. Kids need to understand their bodies and consent from the very beginning! We always remind our son that every person gets to decide for their own body. No one had to be touched in a way they don’t like, not even a hug. 

My UO. Basically all fast food is disgusting. I will tolerate Panera and Chick-fil-A. But that’s it. Everything else is gross. 
  • Options
    @professormama I definitely don’t like Burger King or McDonald’s, but I can put up with the others. Do you have zaxby’s or cookout near you? I feel like those kind of places are just a step above regular fast food...I mean it’s still not healthy but it’s definitely heartier.

My UO probably only applies to those on the West Coast, but I don’t understand the hype with In-n-out burger. DH grew up out west and every time we go out there he makes a big deal about going there, but it doesn’t taste any different than any other fast food burger to me. It pisses him off so bad that I don’t worship it the way he does.
  • Options
    @wearegroot I think it’s like White Castle for the Midwest? (Don’t quote me on that the only state I’ve visted farther east then like Nevada/Arizona is Mississippi and it’s like another galaxy compared to CA) I’ve never actually had White Castle but that’s what my DH tells me. It’s just cause we don’t share that it has novelty. I like their food though. 

Also now I want a double double and a chocolate shake. 

And i I had Chick-fil-a for breakfast. Mmm chicken biscuit. Lol. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    @professormama but In-n-Out. It was created by the gods. 
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty omg a chocolate shake. That's like the first thing to sound appealing to me in days.
  • Options
    @wearegroot I’m going to go ahead and ignore that comment. In-n-Out is the most amazing thing ever. ANIMAL STYLE EVERYTHING!!!! 
  • Options
    @wearegroot been to an in-n-out, not crazy about it, but your uo is like mine--I don't get the hype around Whataburger, and I'm a born-and-raised Texan. All I ever taste is grease....
    But give me chick-fil-a, any day. The 8-count nuggets with fries, two chick-fil-a sauces, and a lemonade (frozen or otherwise) always sounds good.
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty I didn’t know White Castle was a real place for the longest time. I thought it was a made up joint for the Harold and Kumar movie. The first time I saw one I was driving with my college roommate and I said “They made a real place based on the movie?” and she had to explain to me that it was already an established franchise.
  • Options
    @wearegroot Agreed about In-n-Out! DH is from California and he took me to one. It was good, but not *that* good.

AFM, it’s not that I love to clean, but the bathroom is my favorite room to clean. The surfaces are pretty easy to deal with and stuff gets all shiny. Then again, I used to have to handle other people’s pee and blood at my old job so I’m pretty desensitized to body gunk.
  • Options
    @wearegroot I didn’t know it was a real thing either till I met DH. I have never seen the movies. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    wearegrootwearegroot member
    edited September 2018
    @harveyisaboysname From what I’ve been told, it’s all about the sauce and toppings, but I like my burgers fairly plain, and I HATE all sauces (that’s another UO, like not even ketchup).
  • Options
    Also White Castle is delicious trash and I would die on that hill.

(What is with pregnancy making me SO into junk food??)
  • Options
    @wearegroot we don’t have either of the places you mentioned. Not many choices in my town. There’s a few “fast food” taco places I like, but they’re not national chains. 

@harveyisaboysname ewww I hate in and out. We have one and I get it for my son, but I never eat it myself. I got one once and I could barely eat half. There was a single fast food burger place I loved in my old city, but it’s not a national chain (or anywhere outside of the city). I won’t eat any other fast food burger. 
  • Options
    I used to eat fast food a lot but I haven't in a long time. I think that we had McD's fries on the way to a baseball game back in April or May. I would LOVE some Five Guys right now though.
  • Options
    I think sheltering kids is unhealthy. We curse in front of our daughter and talk about all sorts of “adult” things. We would rather her grow up in reality than some make believe perfect world. She knows the truth about dying instead of being told people are taking a long nap. She knows that cursing is a thing but that if you’re going to use those words you have to deal with the consequences of using them. She knows about sex and the proper terms for her body parts. I honestly can’t stand when people make me tip toe around subjects because little ears are listening. 
    Yes to all of this! My MIL calls a vagina a "cupcake" and everything about that makes me uncomfortable.

Then again she also told my (45th percentile 6 y.o.) daughter that her butt was fat and she was going to "be a tubby"
  • Options
    MRDCleMRDCle member
    edited September 2018
    roo1381 said:
    I think sheltering kids is unhealthy. We curse in front of our daughter and talk about all sorts of “adult” things. We would rather her grow up in reality than some make believe perfect world. She knows the truth about dying instead of being told people are taking a long nap. She knows that cursing is a thing but that if you’re going to use those words you have to deal with the consequences of using them. She knows about sex and the proper terms for her body parts. I honestly can’t stand when people make me tip toe around subjects because little ears are listening. 
    Yes to all of this! My MIL calls a vagina a "cupcake" and everything about that makes me uncomfortable.

Then again she also told my (45th percentile 6 y.o.) daughter that her butt was fat and she was going to "be a tubby"
    Cupcake.

ETA I got so stuck by cupcake I didn't read the rest. WTF?!
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    roo1381 said:
    @MRDCle I tried asking her once if it was a frosted cupcake, or, like a hostess cupcake... but i never got an answer. 
    Oooh cream filled.
    I almost just spit out my water. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    @sdelg09 people can suck it. I love making American girl doll crafts with my daughter. I even have my own doll so I can play AG with her. My husband laughs at me but then I remind him that he still buys hot wheels for himself and plays DND which is basically an adult version of pretend. 
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname I'm with you on not sheltering kids.

I'm gonna take it one step further with my UO... DH and I are going to tell our children that Santa is pretend from the beginning.
  • Options
    @loveanddatadriven you win! I could never do that. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I think I’m one of the few parents who enjoys putting out the elf on the shelf and going over the top with the Santa stuff. No room is left untouched from my Christmas fingers. I even decorate the toilet! 
    I will absolutely lie to my children about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and leprechauns until they are well into their twenties. 
  • Options
    @loveanddatadriven I would tell mine too if DH wasn’t against it. Santa creeps me out. And between DH and my parents they all love Christmas. I hate it. My mom says I can’t tell her that because it will ruin it for other kids (aka my siblings). 

Our compromise for for the time being is that we do not mention Santa. He’s has no presence in our household. We will take them to pick out a toy to donate to learn about giving and being grateful for what you have. But we don’t do mainstream Christmas. 

Also i hate that cartoons always have a Christmas episode. My kid knew about it before any of us really got to her. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    @loveanddatadriven you win! I could never do that. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I think I’m one of the few parents who enjoys putting out the elf on the shelf and going over the top with the Santa stuff. No room is left untouched from my Christmas fingers. I even decorate the toilet! 
    I will absolutely lie to my children about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and leprechauns until they are well into their twenties. 
    Dude I tried to do the whole Santa thing but DD1 was TERRIFIED of Santa. Thought he was a creep, breaking into people's houses while they were sleeping. She BEGGED me to stop Santa from coming to our house!

Same thing with the tooth fairy. When she lost her first tooth I told her to put it under her pillow for the tooth fairy. She glared at me, pissed that I was trying to trick her and yelled "there are no fairies in this world!!!" So yeah, no magical traditions in our household. No matter how much I'd like to.
  • Options
    You guys White Castle is DISGUSTING! I’m in the Midwest and I don’t know anybody who likes it. They are basically mini onion burgers. Please don’t come here and think you need to try White Castle. You will not be happy with that decision. 
  • Options
    I LOVE Santa! As a single adult I had my own designated Santa plate for milk and cookies (which I of course ate myself, I’m not THAT weird). Up until DS was born, my parents still gave me and my sister a big Santa gift each year. DH grew up without Santa. His parents were/are evangelicals and his mom wouldn’t even let him do Santa themed worksheets in school (which she now admits was a bit extreme).

Thaf being said, I still don’t know what we’ll do for our kids. I love the magic of it, but I was pretty bummed out when I found out he wasn’t real. I think we’ll just do the Santa thing and as soon as they start asking, we’ll tell them the truth. But I also like the idea of not having Santa’s gift be something huge so when kids get together and talk, Santa wasn’t really generous to one family and sparse with another.
  • Options
    The way I was raised was that my parents always did Santa, but they did not go to any length to fool me. The second I started asking - is Santa real? They’d say, “well what do you think? Do you think a person really flies around the world delivering toys?”  I never felt lied to, because they let me realize it and think through it myself. We will do the same for my son. 
    A great book for children who are asking about Santa, or if you’re not going to ever do the Santa thing, is “Yes Virgina, there is a Santa clause”. It’s the sweetest book about the spirit of giving that lives in all of us ❤️
  • Options
    @wearegroot I'm of the opinion that knowingly playing pretend doesn't ruin any magic and is more truthful. I'm not against putting out a plate of cookies for a pretend Santa. As long as my kids know we're playing pretend. I knew The Lion King was pretend and that didn't stop me from pretending to be a lion cub for an entire summer.

Also, as far as ruining Santa for other kids... If parents are telling their children Santa is real and haven't inoculated them against the "non-believer" children, they haven't done a very good job playing the Santa game.
  • Options
    @Bringmemylongswordho YES. FOOTBALL. IS. CRAZY.
  • Options
    @loveanddatadriven +1 to not lying to your kids about santa, the tooth fairy, etc. I have no intention of doing those things either. 

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    @Bringmemylongswordho yeah Elf on the Shelf is a big no for me. I find it creepy that you’re telling kids it’s watching you and moves around at night. I had porcelain dolls from my grandma growing up and I used to make them face the wall when I went to bed because they creeped me out. DH wanted to do elf and I said that’s fine if he commits and does it everyday. So I know it won’t happen lol.
    My UO is I hate pickles. Like even the smell makes me gag(pregnant or not). Once my mom offered me $100 to eat one spear and I could even swallow one bite. I hate when people assume tht because you’re pregnant all you want to eat is pickles.