December 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: Your Parents

What is something from one or both of your parents/grandparents/caregivers that you would like to either never do or carry on with your parenting?

Re: GTKY: Your Parents

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    edited August 2018
    Avoid:
    -Arguing in front of the kids.  H and I are not fighters so I'm not too worried about this, but obviously kids can add so much stress to a relationship.  My parents divorced when I was in pre-school, and they are fine and friends now, but they were not good about not arguing in front of my brother and I when we were little.  Kids hang onto memories like that (or at least I have) so I'm very adamant about parents being super vigilant about this.

Carry On: 
    -Co-sleeping.  Yes, I know I'm a FTM so I don't know anything, but I want to avoid co-sleeping as much as I possibly can.  We were expected to sleep in our beds and we did.  If we had a bad dream, we would softly knock on the door and mom would come tuck us back in.  H and I are not cuddly sleepers and we don't even let the dog or cats sleep in our bed, so the thought of having a pushy toddler in bed with us makes me want to rip out my hair.

Combo:
    -Food.  H's and my families are polar opposites about food.  My family has always had an excellent attitude around food.  My parents cooked things from scratch, encouraged the kids to help in the kitchen and taught us how to use/do everything, and served us a really wide variety of food from very early on.  As a result of this my brother are hardly picky at all, very adventurous eaters, and have been pretty much completely self-sufficient in the kitchen since we were in our early teens.  

H's family is horrible about food.  Both of his parents are terrible cooks.  They basically ate the same maaaybe 10 meals his entire childhood.  Most of which was either pre-made freezer food (totally fine sometimes, but not every meal) or consisted of things like microwaved chicken breasts with no seasoning (I'm not kidding) or corn on the cob (literally just corn on the cob and that's it. I'm still trying to convince H that is not a normal meal).  H can be a little bit picky about some things but he's a good eater and will try almost anything and he can cook a meal from scratch.  His siblings are impossible.  They are either super picky or have no ability to fend for themselves even though they are all 30+.

I certainly don't want my kids to be food snobs.  My brother is, and it drives me crazy.  But H's mom probably wouldn't even eat food if she didn't have to in order to survive.  There needs to be a happy medium between enjoying high-quality food but also appreciating simple "low-brow" food as well.   I like an expensive grass-fed steak, but I also love the fried chicken from the gas station down the street.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hkom while I tend to think just wait until baby is born to decide some things about parenting - we made the decision to never bedshare prior to baby being born because it is safest.  There were sleepless nights because baby didn't want to sleep in her crib when she was teething/sick/just because, but we didn't give in because safety was what was the driving force.  I believe the AAP stance on bedsharing being dangerous goes away at 2 years old, I don't think it is crazy to say as a FTM that you won't do it.  I also don't think your child(ren) will miss out on anything by not sharing a bed with you.  
  • Options
    Additional thoughts:

Yes to family dinners! We rarely went out to eat while I was growing up.

Yes to being open about finances! This one is taken from H's upbringing. In my own family we never really talked about money, so I had no idea what was going on with my parent's finances and that actually gave me anxiety as a kid. They also promised us allowance but never paid it out. H's family, on the other hand, has always been very open about money, and I appreciate that. I'd like to give our children a solid understanding of budgeting, tithing, investing, and using credit cards wisely before I send them out into the world.

No to weight stuff! I never had any pressure to be a certain weight growing up, but my mom constantly criticized her own weight and was always on diets, so I absorbed the bad body image messages by proxy. I remember thinking I was too fat in elementary school. Ideally, I'll make exercise a fun, normal activity for the family (as opposed to something we just never do) and cook healthy meals but not worry about the occasional indulgence. Ideally!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @Jens_Hoes Thanks for the reassurance!  That's pretty much the only big thing I'm a huge stickler on.  Definitely first for the safety, but I also just do not want to create/encourage that monster.  I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that our kids will inherit H and I's shared don't-touch-me-too-much mentality   :D

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So many good comments!

Food: Like your inlaws, @hkom, my parents made the same few meals a lot growing up.  We did usually eat as a family, which I plan to continue.  However, we ALWAYS had cabinets full of junk food.  I want to have healthier options available and we will definitely cook a bigger variety of healthier meals.  On the other hand, I think it was good that my parents didn't make anything totally off limits.  I had friends who would come over and eat all the junk food they couldn't get at home until they got sick.  I had to cut myself off of junk food once I was on my own though, and it was hard.  It led to a period of very obsessive eating on my part too.  I think it's about finding a balance.  My husband's family seems to have done it really well, so hopefully we can follow their lead on food.

Cosleepling: My parents didn't do it and I won't either.  There is barely room in the bed as it it and the idea makes me nervous.

Activities: I think my parents struck a good balance here.  They let us try things out, but didn't force us to do things.  They also were willing to provide some rides, but we were not at their beck and call.  I do not want my life to revolve around my kid's schedule.  Sometimes that means saying no.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hkom I agree about not pressuring your kids to go to college if they have a good alternative plan, but I also want my kids to keep their doors open.  If they fail math in 9th grade and tell me it doesn't matter because they aren't going to college, that is not going to fly.  If I can't find a job after I finish my PhD, my views on higher ed may well sour though :s

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hkom just wanted to give you more reassurance that you can have an opinion on it before having a kid! DH and I also decided firmly before having DS that we were not going to bed share. I recall another family member adding a "oh, you just wait" type of comment which fueled my fire to stick to my guns. We did it and are so thankful that we kept DS in his own space. He inherited my dislike of too much touchy, so that helps too :D 
    It was so hard at times to get up and walk down the hall for what felt like the 20th time in the night, but eventually it really paid off as he started sleeping through the night and was adjusted to his bed time. 
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @hkom -yes!!!! Not everyone is made for college. My brother shouldn't have gone right after high school and he did because that's what was "expected" and he never did well, liked it, or finished his degree. Now he has student loans and nothing (other than experience) to show for it. 

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @kadeephd Yes on the activities!  My brother and I were not allowed to play more than one sport per season.  Our parents wanted both us and themselves to have free time.  Granted, after grade school we lost interest in soccer and basketball and just stuck to what we were truly good at, which was volleyball and baseball.  But our parents never pushed us.  My mom was always super vigilant about making sure we understood that we could stop whenever we didn't enjoy it anymore.  For my brother, that was the end of high school.  For me, I went though college (FWIW I largely hated my college volleyball experience but I stuck it out because hey, free college!)  

H is an athletic enough guy, but doesn't really enjoy organized sports.  His dad tried to push and push him to play a sport in high school, but H was perfectly content being bookish and helping to clean after school to earn money off his tuition.  He still gets pissed when he talked about how much his dad harped on him about sports.  We will never do that to our kids.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @runrinserepeat Thinking if you. I have wondered how your mom is doing, but I haven’t wanted to pry. I hope you find comfort in the time you have with her. *hugs*
  • Options
    Different: When it's time for my kids to go to college, I'm going to hold their hand through the process.  My parents didn't go to college, so it was a case of blind leading the blind.  I ended up in a random major at a school that wasn't too difficult to get into even though I was in the top 12% of my high school.  I should have put a bigger priority on it all, but didn't know wth I was doing and neither did they.  I have zero hard feelings and completely understand the breakdown; but I also know that it's a huge transitional time and my husband and I know better, so we'll do better.

Same: Celebrate the heck out of Christmas.  They always went overboard and made it so magical.  I love doing it for my son and will continue doing it for both my boys.  I'm really excited about this Christmas, even though Owen will only be a month old, lol!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @texas_t I am SO excited to have a baby for Christmas, even though he'll still be a little potato :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Jens_Hoes I agree 10000% the drinking/drug use underage concept. My mother did this & I did end up calling her very drunk a few times (oops) for her to come get me. She always reiterated that she'd be more upset if I drive drunk than if I drink underage (without condoning it)
    My in laws sound a lot like yours as well - MIL does all of the housework. I don't think FIL has changed more than a handful of diapers in his life. Fortunately, DH lived on his own for many years prior to us meeting, so he didn't go from his mother taking care of every little thing to expecting me to do so. BIL is that way and it just drives me nuts to even watch.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @texas_t Yes yes yes. Both of my parents went to and met at our hometown college and it was always just assumed that I’d go there too. I applied to one other place sort of because I figured why not? But when I showed serious interest in going to the alternate place, I was discouraged by everyone around me. If I had it to do over again I would research the heck out of majors and apply to at least 9 schools. I think I was also overwhelmed by the application process and no one was holding my hand. Which is what I needed. 

All that said, I will admit that going to my hometown college made the long-distance relationship with H a lot easier, because he would always come home for vacation and I would be there no matter what. He’s always been a huge supporter of my writing, and essentially pushed me through the application process for my MFA. Which is THE greatest schooling decision I made. I’m happy with where I am today, so #noragerts. Well, some. But nothing serious.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    @texas_t @hkom +1 for having a little "potato" at Christmas :) There is something so cozy about that time of year.

• Options
    Amazing answers! 

Keep: 
    - my mother is an excellent cook and always showed her love through food. I want to make sure we have a family dinner routine and home cooked meals. 
    - focus on learning - my parents pushed us to be good students but pushed us more to be independent learners and to be interested in different topics rather than "you have to go to xx school." Which I think is more helpful. I love reading and really hope our kids will too. 
    - family vacations!! 

Avoid:
    - we are pretty bad communicators when it comes to emotions. They've actually gotten much better over the years and our relationship is really good but it's still not the easiest thing for us. Hopefully we can avoid that.
    - we dont have a lot of family traditions so MH and I hope to develop those. 
  • Options
    Oh! Also, we rarely had family dinners, but that is something I'd like to do. 

The topic of alcohol got me thinking. I have no idea how to approach it when the time comes. I feel like my family in general almost sensationalizes alcohol. My dad's family used to own a brewery so I grew up with people saying we have beer in our blood. I actually don't even like beer. My parent's tend to have a glass of wine, beer or a cocktail every night, but they don't get drunk. BUT it seemed like alcohol was always a big thing in our house. As a teenager they both did the whole thing where if any of us kids got in a bind and needed a ride, to just call them. I did a few times, but more often than not, I didn't because I was usually with people or doing other things that weren't good. I guess it was just too much of a big deal in our house. Too accepted? When I started dating DH, I drank a lot, mostly because I was young and went out a lot, but also generally just drank at meals. DH doesn't really drink often. He doesn't love the taste really and he's a big guy so it takes a lot for him to get a buzz. I thought it was SO weird that he doesn't drink. To this day, my parents still point out "Oh I know he doesn't DRINK, but...". Anyhow, I'm rambling. I think my point is, I don't want to sensationalize alcohol. I still like a glass of wine here and there, but I don't want my kids thinking that they need to be drinkers to fit in, especially with family. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    temmetime said:
    @Jens_Hoes I agree 10000% the drinking/drug use underage concept. My mother did this & I did end up calling her very drunk a few times (oops) for her to come get me. She always reiterated that she'd be more upset if I drive drunk than if I drink underage (without condoning it)
    My in laws sound a lot like yours as well - MIL does all of the housework. I don't think FIL has changed more than a handful of diapers in his life. Fortunately, DH lived on his own for many years prior to us meeting, so he didn't go from his mother taking care of every little thing to expecting me to do so. BIL is that way and it just drives me nuts to even watch.
    I'll one up you... my FIL has NEVER changed a diaper. Even with 3 children and 5 grandchildren 
  • Options
    On the subject of alcohol -- my mom was very anti-alcohol while we were growing up, in part because my dad had social drinking issues that led to him losing his license when my brother and I were young.  There are a lot of alcoholics on both sides of my family, so I understand where she was coming from.  I wish it had just been a normal part of life, not made a big deal of or overindulged in (well.. occasional/appropriate overindulgence is ok).  That's what I'm hoping to do.  My brother and I both partied pretty hard when we got to college, and I think that was in part because alcohol was this forbidden fruit and we had never been around adults drinking responsibly.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's ok to have opinions or plans as a first time mom but it's also ok to change your mind when you are actually in it.
    I was very against co-sleeping at first, in fact I was so hardcore about safe sleep that I would never let my baby sleep anywhere but in my arms or his crib. No swing, no rock n play, no docka tot, none are safe sleep approved. But at 14 weeks my LO refused to sleep anywhere but my bed, nursing and I was desperate as I had to return to work. We were able to transition him back to his crib and he sleeps great. He still sleeps in our bed when he is sick or falls asleep in our bed when I'm too pregnant and tired to do bedtime. Bedtime and sleep for babies and toddlers is always changing with sleep regression and life in general. Dont be too hard on yourself. As a side note, research shows that some factors such as parental drinking, drug use, obesity, smoking and bottle fed babies in general are risk factors for cosleeping.
  • Options
    This is a deep GTKY- reflecting on how we were raised and what we’d do differently. I feel like a lot of the what I don’t want to do is related to my mom’s denial of her mental health and what I believe to be narcissistic personality issues. She did the best she could while ignoring/battling her own demons, and my step dad enabled a lot of her behavior to keep the peace. Like how I was never allowed to say I was displeased with anything because it would set my mom into a pity party of how “I hate her” simply because I said “xyz isn’t fair” or tried to be open about my own feelings. Aside from the possibly toxic relationship I’ve developed with her, there are some parenting choices I want to repeat/don’t want to:

keep: nature family outings. We didn’t have the money for vacations- aside from one when I was five that I barely remember, and one almost week long group camping trip. But we took day trips all the time. Waterfall hikes, drives to the coast, picnics at lakes. I build a huge appreciation for the environment because of my exposure to the outdoors when I was young.
    We also made a big deal about all holidays. My step dad didn’t have holidays growing up because of his parents’ religion, so he experienced birthdays, Christmas, etc through our experiences. We weren’t allowed to start any birthday parties until he was done working. I’d like holidays to be as exciting for my children. 

Not keep: Lack of privacy. My parents saw privacy as an earned privilege and it was never guaranteed anything I told them would be in confidence. Once my brother even had his bedroom door removed as punishment for something. I never really kept a diary because I knew my mom would read it. She read my sisters’ and admitted it to me. She thought she had to because my sister wouldn’t tell her anything. Uh, yeah, because you made it clear we can’t trust you. 
  • Options
    @westcoastfoodie Wine Mom culture is so cringey

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hkom @westcoastfoodie i agree with what you are saying. Not gonna lie, I've relaxed with glass of wine after a bad day before but maybe it's the announcing and talking about it (a lot) that annoys me. But I also dont have kids yet so it may change!