October 2018 Moms

Questions 8/31

What’s on your mind?

Re: Questions 8/31

• Non baby question.
    I'm attending a friend's Rosh Hashanah dinner a week from Sunday - bringing an apple crisp and homemade rugelach, so good there - but need a refreshed on the traditions! I'm 1/4 Jewish and grew up celebrating the holidays with my grandparents, but haven't done it since I was about 8 as far as I can remember. Can someone provide a brief rundown on etiquette and procedure? I don't want to commit any major faux pas!
    Thanks!
  • Literally know nothing about Jewish traditions, sorry  :#

My question is also food related. Any vegetarian moms out there who currently have kids? My partner and I are both vegetarian but unsure if we want to make our daughter eat completely veggie. At home we won't be preparing any meat but when we visit family we of course want her to try any food she wants to, including meat. I just don't want her to get sick if she eats meat after not having ever eaten any.

Do I even make sense? Any advice on would be appreciated if anyone has had any experience in this area!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @laurasauruss - that's a question I'd take to your pediatrician, and see if they can also refer you to a nutritionist!
  • Did anyone buy or receive a PNP Lite, and have any idea what sheets to buy for it? I read bassinet sheets but they dont fit... 

image        image

• After you are done with your baby shower, what do you do with your registry?  Do you leave it up in case people want to send you stuff later, or delete it?  
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited September 2018
    @knottieamusements We left ours open and just let it close on it's own.  I don't think we really thought about it, but with the holidays coming up it might be a good idea to keep it open in case people want to buy more stuff off of it.

ETA our registry with DD.  I think it closed after a year
  • @knottieamusements I closed mine, but of course now I have a few of my mom's friends asking about it. Hoping for just gift cards if they can't see what we need, but then again all we really have left is cloth diapers and things that are less fun to buy anyway. I'd leave it open if you still have some good stuff on it and don't plan on buying it all.
  • My mom swears that people tend to purchase things after the baby is born. I'm skeptical, but will keep it open because I might want to buy things off it at some point too, @knottieamusements.

• @knottieamusements I’m planning to leave mine up for a little while. My mom said the same thing about people wanting to send things later as well. But after my work shower I will likely use the discount and buy all the other items we need.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • lest12 said:
    Did anyone buy or receive a PNP Lite, and have any idea what sheets to buy for it? I read bassinet sheets but they dont fit... 
    is that the PNP that’s like 2/3 size? I have a smaller one for my parents house and a pillow case was the perfect sheet.
  • I left my wedding registry open in case people wanted birthday or Christmas ideas. Same idea here 
  • @laurasauruss we're in a very similar boat. We only eat vegetarian at home (I'm strictly veg, DH is not). Our plan is going to be when the baby starts solids/finger foods to do a wide variety of food, which will include buying soft meat (chicken, turkey, fish) occasionally and see how it fares with the little one. Our pediatrician did say we didn't absolutely need to, but it's important to me that the baby tries all kinds of things (really trying to avoid a picky eater but that may still happen, who knows). I might even try some while I'm breastfeeding (I hadn't heard of the sickness thing, but it makes sense). Our pediatrician is pretty open to feeding solids of tofu, seitan, and all the other good veg proteins and iron-rich foods so we really wouldn't need to feed meat if we choose not to as long as there is a good plan to cover those nutrients. It may sound weird, but I just want to let the kid make it's own choices. DH will be doing the meat buying and cooking when we get there so this may not be useful to you! 
  • This kind of a baby question...my 9 year old daughter wants to be in the room when the baby is born, but I'm really kind of afraid to let her be in there because I'm afraid it will freak her out or scare the hell out of her....when I told her this she got really upset and started crying....it breaks my heart to see her upset about it and now I don't know what to do about it...
  • @jenniferthomas0246 I would not let my 9 year old in the room. Can she be right outside and come in soon after the baby is born? DS1 was 5 when DS2 was born and my sister bought him to the hospital 20ish minutes after DS2 was born. I loved having him there so soon after birth and bonding as a family. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @jenniferthomas0246 that's tough. 9 is a little young. If she was a teenager it would be different (might even be the best birth control you ever gave her HA!) I would maybe just tell her this is something that Mom & Dad do together just the two of us and she can come in right when baby arrives to meet them. You can even tell her you don't want her to see you in pain, she might understand that.
  • @jenniferthomas0246 do you could tell her that she isn't allowed and blame the hospital/doctor? Is she allowed?

@nasalot188 has a good suggestion, too.  Maybe tell her that you don't want her to see you in pain. 

How mature is she for a 9 year old?
  • @jenniferthomas0246 I think it depends on the maturity level of your daughter. I would want to fully discuss with her what to expect and what's going on, so she's not freaked out. There's no way I want my 6yo SS in the room, but that's mainly because I plan on being pretty exposed and don't feel it's appropriate for a 6yo who's not mine biologically. I don't see an issue with a 9yo girl, but think she needs to be well informed.

My aunt was telling me that I wanted to be in the room with my nephew when I was 5 (my aunt was young, and we all lived with my grandparents at that time). I had to go to the hospital with my grandpa, and really wanted to see it all. I guess I got freaked out by everything in the room and then wanted nothing to do with it.
  • I know I wouldn't have wanted to see that at 9, but like @nasalot188 said could be the best birth control! LOL
    I'd have a serious talk with her to see if she is fully ready prior. Maybe show her some images (tasteful ones?) You wouldn't want to be stressing over her if she faints or feels sick when in there.
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Thanks ladies, we all had sat down last night and I told her I would love for her to be in there but I don't want her to see me in pain and while I know she says she would be ok, that may not be the case once she's in there....and I could still blame the dr/hospital...just so she isn't upset with us for not letting her in there.... :)
  • @jenniferthomas0246 I was 11 when my brother was born and I was in the room. It was fine until the nurse told me to come see his head and it was almost out...WAY more of my mom than I ever wanted to see. I just wasn’t prepared enough. The plan was originally for me to stay by her head and be one of the first ones to hold him. It was amazing to be there, though. 

I’d also check with your doctor. My OB requires that you be a certain age to be in the room. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The doctor delivering is the same Dr that delivered my last baby and she was in there but she was also only 3 and asleep until his cry woke her up....I told her she will be there, just not in the room and she can be the first one to hold him once she comes in after he's born. She's mad at me but I think she will thank me in the long run...lol
  • HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited September 2018
    As someone who had a birth go way weird and end up with foreceps delivery, I can’t say I’d want a 9 year old in the room. Maybe make it a safety issue?
  • @beverlystevens thanks for the ideas! As @chopchop25 also suggested, we'll be asking our pediatrician once the time comes but I wanted to hear some stories to kind of get me prepared. Not sure why I'm so hung up on it now, let me meet her and giver her boob first :lol:
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I know that a certain amount of decreasing in fetal movement is to be expected toward the end, but when do you personally start to worry?
    Little monster is still making kick counts and in a timely manner, but I feel like I'm feeling a lot less fetal movement over the past couple of weeks than I was feeling before. She was a super ridiculously active baby and is still making a typical amount of movement a day, but not as much as I grew to expect from her. Although today she has been more active than she ever has been this pregnancy lol.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @mytrueloves I am experiencing the same. I went to Triage last week over it and my OB gave me another ultrasound yesterday. She did say that the bigger they get the movement can become less intense but I still should feel movement. I explained it as he went from crazy dance parties to subtle ballet moves. He kind of just moves slowly and less forcefully now.  There is less room in there now. If you are worried I'd talk to your OB 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• @mytrueloves @chyvie I’m in the same boat. Definitely still hitting the counts but less intense. Sometimes movements slow down during periods of growth according to my MW, and also they can be less intense running out of room. MW also said to never be afraid to call and go in for an u/s if it seems like a lot less.
  • @mytrueloves @rc-cola @chyvie Glad to hear others are following the same pattern. I have definitely noticed he is doing more stretching and rolling instead of the intense dancing and kicking. He always meets kick count so I don’t usually worry too much, but it’s nice to hear you guys are expieriencing the same. 
  • mytruelovesmytrueloves member
    edited September 2018
    Yes, it's very reassuring to hear that other people experience similar!
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Just to add to the more limited / decreased movement (since I've gotten to deal with that a lot in the lat 36h!) - doc said a small cold or something can also contribute to them slowing down. I know lots of people have mentioned sick kiddos or not feeling 100%, so if that's the case, baby may slow down with us!
  • @chopchop25 interesting...I have a cold and sometimes I feel like she's a little less jumpy and not as active, and then I have 3 hour stretches like this afternoon where I felt like there was a dance party in my uterus. 
  • Episiotiomy vs natural tearing....why one over the other?  I tore (bad) with my first and slightly with my second.  I'd think that just because there is scar tissue there it's more susceptible to tear anyway?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @tropical1982 natural tears tend to heal better, episiotomies are easier for doctors to suture (straight line) but often have more pain associated with them as they go through all the layers of skin and muscle. 
  • My Dr prefers episiotomies he said. His reasoning is that when there is pressure, he prefers to control where that release is. He brought up that it's possible for you to tear on the side or top. That made me shiver. I can't imagine a tear from my vaginal opening toward my urethra....
  • @knottieamusements: I would leave it open until you use your completion code to finish it off.  I am one of those people who buys gifts off people's registries after the baby shower (if i couldn't make  it) or after the baby is born . With my first baby, I got alot of gifts off my refistry after my baby shower from people who couldnt make it... And from my work (they threw me a surprise baby shower and found my registry). 
  • @jennybean80 and @sammierose464 neither option sounds good!  Guess that's why I can't decide one way or the other. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My feet suddenly started to swell really bad on Tuesday. Each day they are a little better in the morning but by the end of the day they are worse than the day before. Last night before I went to bed they were so bad! I’ve been doing my best to stay off them and put them up as much as possible but that’s definitely not easy. I know feet swelling is normal at this point in pregnancy (35w) but at what point do I start to worry that it might be pre-e and call the doctor? My BP has always been great the whole pregnancy. My next apt isn’t until my 36w apt next Thursday.
  • @spartan4life

Call your doctor anyway just to ease your mind.  However, if you have swelling in your face, definitely call.  
  • @spartan4life yea I would call and ask. Is there anyway you can check your BP? Do you have a bp monitor? If you check with an automatic cuff, make sure you've been sitting for 15-20 mins before doing it, arm at heart level and feet flat on the floor. Check it 3 times in a row with 1-2 min apart. Usually the 2nd and 3rd are the most accurate.

Are you eating more salty foods lately? Try to cut those out too. I noticed my feet swelling a bit more by the end of the day from the heat here in Michigan too but especially on days I eat out. I mainly home cook or bring my lunch to work but whenever I eat out, it swells alot more. 
    Stay hydrated with water too.
  • @knottieamusements and @ashin121Thanks! I think I will call this morning just to see if there is anything else I should be watching for since we are going in to the weekend. It seemed to come on pretty suddenly, but I know this crazy Michigan weather this week could definitely be a factor. I haven’t changed my eating habits but I have been trying to reduce my salt and I’ve been drinking tons of water (but I’m sure I could drink more). I don’t have a way to check my blood pressure unless I stop at a pharmacy or something, so I think I will just call so I don’t worry all weekend.
  • FYI Cutting out/decreasing salt can cause swelling too.