December 2018 Moms

UO Thursday 8/30

Re: UO Thursday 8/30

• Loading the player...
  • hkomhkom member
    @maureenmce I've never heard of BHLDN but I'm looking at their website now and they have such pretty stuff!  I may have to buy a dress from there for my SIL's black-tie-optional wedding next year :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

• My somewhat related UO: I want one of the fancy fondant cakes for the baby shower! They are way too expensive but they're pretty and delicious, so I am totally getting one.

• This one might have been said, but my UO is we can do away with bridal parties. I’ve been a bridesmaid many times now and I don’t get the full experience when I only see the brides back and the grooms face. Plus I miss the part of the wedding where other bridesmaids walk out first. And the bride misses all of her maids walking and the flower girls. Why do that to yourself? I want to sit down and enjoy the wedding of people I care about- not stand up front and worry about my posture.

+1 to please offer me some alcohol at your wedding. Even having a cash bar is better than no alcohol on the premises.  
  • @maureenmce OMG I love wedding dresses too. I wish I had a reason to wear mine again. I LOVE it. 
    H wants to do a vow renewal when the kids are a little older in Turks and Caicos (that's where our marriage certificate is from as that's the port we were in when we got married). I'm like "can I get another dress?!"

@ab_canada I had fondant but I have to agree they make such pretty cakes. The cake I had for my wedding shower and baby shower were both those stupid fancy 3 tier fondant cakes. Was worth it just for the photos. 
  • @kristah2 I specifically bought a wedding "outfit" (skirt and tank) that i could wear again! I love it. I try to wear one or the other on my anniversary every year. I had a casual wedding so the skirt is just ivory tulle from amazon and the shirt is a lace tank from anthropologie. Separate, they don't look wedding-y, but H and I know! Plus I wear my wedding shoes all the time, they're one of my favorite pairs! 
  • I should expand on my fondant opinion. I like it best when the cake is first frosted in buttercream and then covered in fondant. Yum! I’m also very picky about my frosting and hate it when it’s too sweet (which is the majority of cake frosting). Fondant is just the perfect amount. And chewy!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon I also love buttercream frosting, but hate when it’s too sweet.
  • I ALSO love buttercream icing.  I extra love it when it's too sweet   :D:D:D:D
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• I agree I don’t really get the no medication thing. But I will say that since I will probably never go into labor because I’m sure I’ll have a repeat c-section this time, I feel a little left out of that experience. Like I know it’s sucks and is painful and I would probably want to die, but I still feel a little sad I’ll never have a real contraction and get that experience of giving birth. 
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @Jens_Hoes thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to hear voices from both sides but I think internet being internet, there are few loud voices that drown out a lot of reasonable voices and stories. 
  • *lurker*

The idea that women have an unmedicated birth because it's a "badge of honor" or "just to see if I can do it" is silly. I know a lot of women who haven't had epidurals, none of them for that reason. Some of them want a birth atmosphere (freestanding birth center or home) where epidurals aren't allowed. And some of them don't want it because there are actual known side effects and risks to an epidural. And if most women decide that the benefits (no pain*) outweigh the potential for negative side effects (spinal headaches, nausea, shivering, increased difficulty pushing, further interventions, etc.), that's their business. For me, I don't think the risks outweigh the benefits. I view an epidural as no different than any other medication - I won't take it unless absolutely necessary, and I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. 

*probably no pain. 1-2% of women don't experience pain relief with an epidural. And 12% don't initially experience pain relief and have to have stuff readjusted or inserted, sometimes multiple times, before it takes. 

• Jens_Hoes said:
    @lovesclimbing I do know women who choose to not get the epidural and rub it in other women’s faces that they didn’t give birth “naturally” so saying it’s silly- is rude because you don’t know everyone I have had experiences with. 
    If you or anyone wants to go med free, whatever, but it literally matters zero percent, which is what I’m getting to. And it’s not really cool to shame those who choose interventions such as an epidural, because let’s be real, that’s what your post was. In my last BmB there were plenty of women who got an epidural and had zero side effects. 
    We have far too many FTM on this bmb who don’t need to be scared into making a decision because they get scared by side effects that are infrequent. 

And if we’re talking about making choices that lead to further interventions, had I not gotten the epidural I’d be too exhausted from 8 hours of constant contractions to push, and I would have likely needed a c-section. 
    *eyeroll* No it wasn't.

Everyone in this thread so far who has talked about med-free births in this thread has almost exclusively slammed women who have them for only doing it as "badge of honor." I'm simply pointing out that's not the only reason. So yea, I think calling that the only reason women do it is silly, and I won't take that back. 

I said the "potential for negative side effects." Of course, I know not everyone has those side effects. I also choose not to use hormonal birth control. Yes, I know some people use it just fine and have no side effects. But there are also women who experience side effects, and for me, the benefits don't outweigh the potential risks when there are other options that don't have those risks available. 

And I fail to see how laying out actual facts is "scaring" FTMs. Any woman who is giving birth should have the facts of any intervention laid out to her before she has it so she can make an informed decision, period. 

As far as women like you, yes, there are women who get the epidural so they can relax for a bit and then have more energy to push. If I were in that situation, that would be a point at which I would decide the benefits of the epidural outweighs the risks. 

• And I fail to see how laying out actual facts is "scaring" FTMs. Any woman who is giving birth should have the facts of any intervention laid out to her before she has it so she can make an informed decision, period. 

Please don't confuse "laying out actual facts" with cherry-picking statistics to support your opinion.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Jens_HoesJens_Hoes member
    edited September 2018
    Jens_Hoes said:
    @lovesclimbing I do know women who choose to not get the epidural and rub it in other women’s faces that they didn’t give birth “naturally” so saying it’s silly- is rude because you don’t know everyone I have had experiences with. 
    If you or anyone wants to go med free, whatever, but it literally matters zero percent, which is what I’m getting to. And it’s not really cool to shame those who choose interventions such as an epidural, because let’s be real, that’s what your post was. In my last BmB there were plenty of women who got an epidural and had zero side effects. 
    We have far too many FTM on this bmb who don’t need to be scared into making a decision because they get scared by side effects that are infrequent. 

And if we’re talking about making choices that lead to further interventions, had I not gotten the epidural I’d be too exhausted from 8 hours of constant contractions to push, and I would have likely needed a c-section. 
    *eyeroll* No it wasn't.

Everyone in this thread so far who has talked about med-free births in this thread has almost exclusively slammed women who have them for only doing it as "badge of honor." I'm simply pointing out that's not the only reason. So yea, I think calling that the only reason women do it is silly, and I won't take that back. 

I said the "potential for negative side effects." Of course, I know not everyone has those side effects. I also choose not to use hormonal birth control. Yes, I know some people use it just fine and have no side effects. But there are also women who experience side effects, and for me, the benefits don't outweigh the potential risks when there are other options that don't have those risks available. 

And I fail to see how laying out actual facts is "scaring" FTMs. Any woman who is giving birth should have the facts of any intervention laid out to her before she has it so she can make an informed decision, period. 

As far as women like you, yes, there are women who get the epidural so they can relax for a bit and then have more energy to push. If I were in that situation, that would be a point at which I would decide the benefits of the epidural outweighs the risks. 
    Well regardless of how you meant it- you can eyeroll all you want, that’s how it read. 
    We get along pretty well here, and support one another. 
    We even had a home birth/low interventions thread going for sometime. Idk where it went because I want the drugs. But I support all of the women of this BMB regardless of how they choose to give birth. Because again my point (for the third time) is IT DOESNT MATTER. Just like how I support my SIL who was too late for an epidural last time and will try for a second time without it, and my other SIL for getting her scheduled repeat c-sections. 
  • Jens_HoesJens_Hoes member
    edited September 2018
    @lovesclimbing just to split hairs here. I didn’t say most women who get it do so because they love to brag about it. I said  most women who TALK about it love to brag about it. Because that is my experience 
  • hkomhkom member
    edited September 2018
    Jens_Hoes said:

Well regardless of how you meant it- you can eyeroll all you want, that’s how it read. 
    [...]
    But I support all of the women of this BMB regardless of how they choose to give birth. Because again my point (for the third time) is IT DOESNT MATTER. Just like how I support my SIL who was too late for an epidural last time and will try for a second time without it, and my other SIL for getting her scheduled repeat c-sections. 
    Yup.  There's nothing wrong with having an unmedicated birth purely for the challenge!  Plenty of people do risky and difficult things just to see if they can.  No one shamed anyone for choosing the unmedicated route for that or any other reason.  The issue is when the pro-"natural" birth crowd uses their choices as ammo to make women who, whether they elected to or had to, had medical interventions, which is definitely the vibe that our little lurker is giving off (the fact that she even bothered to insert herself into our thread hints that she feels her choices are superior).

BabyFruit Ticker

• These are all hilarious and u guys got me going. 
    Ok so...
    Has anyone ever had a good wedding cake? Lmao I feel like mine was ok and I had one tiny bite and after all that damn cake tasting and wasting. Lawwddd...I haven't been to one wedding where I'm like this is delicious. Nope. 
    Also the whole wedding planning was a fiasco for me and I dread stuff like that. I realized during my wedding planning phase that I like to rely on me Nd I really have trust issues relying on others cuz let's face it...its not their wedding and they will never put that much effort into helping as they would if it was their wedding. 
    I guess I'm a little jaded. I got burned during my wedding. My best friend turned out to be crushing on me all these years! (Yes, a TV show drama, cue music). She literally stalled and sabotaged many of the things I asked her to help me with, until I realized the truth and she came out and told me she loves me and started crying. I'm thinking, ok Heffa,  I love u too now come on let's get me married...nope...tried to kiss me on the lippppsss!! 
    Now some might wonder, as I did, how could I have NOT seen this coming!?? Well, I have no clue. U know how girls are close, go out dancing, she's my dance partner and she'll slap my bootay here and there. ..nothing abnormal...right. WRoNG!!! 
    Anyways. Weddings makes you realize who you're real friends are . LESSONs!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ahem ...so I read all the wedding UO and then got carried away and wanted to tell my story then I went back to finish this thread and whoooa....that escalated quickly guys. 
    I think I get what the lurker was saying tho, she was trying to side for those that dont use epidural and it's not because they want bragging rights. Her arguement was a little skewed though in the examples she provided. *off with her head!!!*** hehehe just kidding. Mob mentality happens quick;) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @blueberrysmommy25 Wow! What a twist! Are you still friends?