January 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Blankets

Let's talk blankets!

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpirQLqoWOgVefTUVQLuh0wcdlL3kKfjcp2_aaZd6Bk/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Blankets

• edited August 2018
    For swaddle blankets, I loved the Halo Velcro swaddles. We used their zip up sleep sacks when DS grew out of the swaddle. I have a couple of friends that swear by the Ollie swaddle, so I’m tempted to try that out. 

As for regular blankets, I love the Aden + Anais swaddles. DS still sleeps with one. Oh, and a Kickee Pants swaddle. It’s so soft. 

We were gifted alllll the blankets, and at least half of them have never been used. We were given so many thick, fluffy blankets.. DS was born in May, and it’s not safe for babies to sleep with one until they’re a year or so old. So, yeah, we didn’t need that many blankets. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• I would say don't buy yourself any blankets until after your baby shower. We were gifted probably 12 handmade blankets, embroidered, crocheted, knit...SO MANY BLANKETS. I did love the taggies lovie blankets for in the car (past 3 months old) and a small square lovie for snuggling in the bouncer or crib (past 6 months old). We did not do big blankets in the crib until more like 18 months with DS1, and my twins will be 2 next month and still just have their lovies and a stuffy in their cribs.

My favorite swaddle blankets are Little Unicorn, but they are more silky so a bit harder to get a tight swaddle. My favorite of the swaddles is Swaddle Me pods- they zip rather than velcro, so quieter and more snug at sleep time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't actually buy any blankets and was so glad because I did receive about 5 or 6 at my baby shower. I thinks its hard not to buy them though because they are just so soft. DS will be 2 and we still don't use a blanket in his crib. I loved the Velcro swaddles. I didn't mind that they made some noise as when he woke up at night to eat I would always change him first then feed him, so the noise wasn't an issue. I have never tried the zipper ones though, I may have to invest in one of those this time around and give it a try.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess I'm old school and didn't use anything fancy other than receiving blankets to swaddle. You have to get the oversized ones and not the regular size receiving blankets or they'll be too short. They worked just fine for 2 kids so far and I'll be doing the same for this one. Once they stopping wanting to be swaddled (which was around 6 months-ish) I put them in halo sleepsacks since they still weren't old enough for blankets in the crib but needed another layer to stay warm. I also received tons of blankets (and lots of beautiful handmade ones) as baby gifts so didn't need to buy any to put in the stroller or car seat when we went out (all my kids are fall/winter babies).
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• We got a shit ton of flannel receiving blankets at our shower and used those to swaddle during the day, as a nursing cover, or covering the car seat. However, I preferred the Halo Swaddle Sacks and Wearable Blankets and the SwaddleMe Swaddles much more for napping and sleeping because it was more snug. I used the receiving blankets as a burp cloth (more coverage on your clothes) and to wipe things up with. I also loved Muslin blankets for almost everything else. They are a little bigger so I tied two corners together and used as my nursing cover 
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• We received plenty of blankets as gifts. I used the muslin swaddling blankets to swaddle her (summer baby) and other blankets in the car in the winter. Otherwise I didn’t use blankets that much. She couldn’t have them in the crib and once she was at the point we wanted to give her a blanket at night she was in a regular bed so we just used a comforter.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I totally forgot the recieving blanket burp cloth tip and the muslin swaddle nursing cover tip, but yes to both of those! I also used the muslin swaddle blankets as a car seat cover- just drape it over the canopy part, under the handle. That being said, my very favorite nursing/car seat cover is by Covered Goods- super soft, stretchy, breathable material, awesome coverage, and adorable patterns. My babies actually loved snuggling that as a blanket in the car seat, and I think it was extra comforting because it smelled like mom.
  • pttomatopttomato member
    edited August 2018
    One thing to be aware of, although it might not be relevant for January babies, is to be careful about putting a cover/blanket over the car seat when it’s warm out. It can get hot inside a covered car seat.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • pttomato said:
    One thing to be aware of, although it might not be relevant for January babies, is to be careful about putting a cover/blanket over the car seat when it’s warm out. It can get hot inside a covered car seat.
    Good point. I think that's why I liked the thin muslin blankets or the nursing cover options for the car seat- better ventilation and some open spaces still.
  • Don't buy blankets until after your shower! We got a few handmade ones, and several flannel receiving blankets. Since we only used the velcro Halo swaddles for "swaddling" (DD hated being swaddled and we only did it for bedtime) we set aside the big blankets for later, and used the receiving blankets for nursing and as burp cloths. SERIOUSLY...receiving blankets are the BEST for burp cloths. Actual "burp cloths" don't give you good coverage if you have a baby that spits up.

Once DD grew out of the velcro swaddles (about 4 months) we changed to sleepsacks. She's 18 months and we just started using an A&A muslin blanket a few months ago.

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • I also used receiving blankets as burp clothes but my all time favorite was some cloth diapers! Just bought a cheap 5 pack of Gerber cloth diapers from Walmart and they were my favorite. The were large enough to cover my shoulders and then some but also absorbant . 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto you’ll get so many random blankets but you’ll find what you like pretty quickly and probably not use many of the rest. Other than a couple small blankets we could use with the car seat or while we were holding her, you don’t really use a lot of the blankets you get if you’re following safe sleep rules. I kept thinking as all the quilts and knitted blankets were pouring in - “where are we ever going to use these?” Were at 13 mo now and we haven’t used them yet.
    We used the halo Velcro swaddles from about five weeks on at night- before that and during the day we used the aden + anais muslin swaddles. I probably have 25 of them and was happy I stocked up. Hot tip on a+a, sometimes they have them at tjmaxx or similar and even on clearance- but beware there is an “Aden by Aden + Anais” line that is a cheaper swaddle, plus they’re smaller and not really square which was important to us w swaddling. We used the old tyme cloth diapers for burp cloths- you can get it in a 12 pack on amazon I think for fairly cheap. With a reflux baby who generally just spit up a lot, we went through 4-5 a day. 

Since we will have winter babes I’d also recommend those car seat sacks that zip - I think jj Cole makes a lot of them (can also usually find way cheaper at tjmaxx than BBB). They’re apparently the safer car seat option as far as blankets go and they were very easy for us to use in a midwestern winter w DD in the infant bucket seat. 
  • I second what @wolfmum said about the carseat! We had a grey zip carseat cover. We put DD in a normal warm outfit (no coat) and put her in the carseat with that cover zipped up and it was warm enough. The one we have has a face hole in it, so you zip it up and you can still see baby. We live in Minnesota, and DD was also a winter baby, so this was important.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • I love the A&A swaddles.  I have purchased 2 blankets for this baby but they are special to me b/c they are handmade by friends (one is a minky that's embroidered and the other is a swaddle/beanie set that is a jersey fabric).  I'm a sucker for homemade items and I was so disappointed that I didn't get any for DS#1 (my family lacks craftiness!) so that's the only reason I gave in and got these already.  Otherwise, I totally agree about not buying blankets until after your shower.
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited August 2018
    100% agree with the car seat covers. I just put my kids in warm clothing and socks, then put a blanket on their lap, and then put the car seat cover over the car seat. Mine didn't zip, it just had elastic around the edges and snapped over the car seat. It was water resistant on the outside and fleece on the inside. Also had a flap for the face so baby could get air flow.

I know it's tempting, but DO NOT purchase those Bundle Me bunting bags that go in the carseat and then you zip around baby. They are not crash tested and if you read your car seat manufacturer's instruction booklet it will specifically say not to add anything like that to the carseat because it is unsafe and could potentially void the warranty. Also, could prevent insurance pay out if you are in an accident and god forbid anything happens to baby in the car seat because those products are not approved for use in the car seat while in a vehicle.

ETA pics for clarity

YES:

NO:

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @tosh24 THANK YOU for visuals.  I will note this immediately!

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• @tosh24 ah thank you!!  I had the wrong kind on our registry!  I didn’t realize the difference. So important to distinguish!  Just switched it out!