March 2013 Moms
Options

What to Eat @ Jimmy John's?

So I just realized that I agreed to have lunch with a friend at Jimmy John's and wasn't thinking about the fact that deli meats are no-nos.  Since I'm not telling people yet, what is something I can safely eat there?  

I don't think they offer a toasting option.  I thought tuna isn't really recommended and neither are alfalfa sprouts (on the veggie sandwiches..maybe I can leave them off?).  Possibly the BLT but then bacon also isn't the best because of the nitrates?  WWYT?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to Eat @ Jimmy John's?

• Options
    I do know JJ's doesn't offer sprouts anymore because they were worried about the potential for people getting sick so you don't even have to worry about that. I don't know either about the toasting option...maybe it says on their website? The only thing I can think of is just do an all veggie sub if you're really worried. 
  • Options
    If you don't want to chance it, you can get a BLT or a veggie sandwich.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageauroraloo:

*wanders in from Sept looking for Jessuh*

Eat whatever you want. The deli meat is fine. You have no greater risk of listeria while pregnant than when you're not. As for nitrates, carrots have more nitrates than deli meat. Also, Jimmy John's meat turns over so quickly, that the meat is fresh enough that listeria isn't a concern

*wanders off calling Jessuh's name*

Wait, carrots have nitrates? This is so bizarre... 

• Options

I often get delivery and just heat up the meat for 15 secs, but since you are eating out I would order the BLT.  There are guidelines for tuna for pg women and I think you can eat it up to 3x per week and still be well below any mercury level concerns.

And as the pp said, they stopped putting sprouts on their sandwiches.

ETA: Now I want some JJ for lunch!  I think that's what I'll order, thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imagelioness13:
    If you don't want to chance it, you can get a BLT or a veggie sandwich.

This. I agree. If they don't offer toasting then I would stick with a veggie sub. GL =)

**Married to My Best Friend Since 04/2010**

**Success After Loss**

• Options
    imagecwelshsm:

I often get delivery and just heat up the meat for 15 secs, but since you are eating out I would order the BLT.  There are guidelines for tuna for pg women and I think you can eat it up to 3x per week and still be well below any mercury level concerns.

And as the pp said, they stopped putting sprouts on their sandwiches.

ETA: Now I want some JJ for lunch!  I think that's what I'll order, thanks!

I read you can have 12 oz of tuna a week. To put that into perspective, the cans of tuna I have (which are average sized) are 5 oz. Once I realized that, I became less scared about eating tuna sandwiches. 

• Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I can vouch for their veggie sandwich being delish! Add avocado too:) mmmm now I want a sandwich. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Order what you normally would.  Lunch meat is not the devil it is made out to be.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    WHAT?? No more sprouts at JJ's?  This officially makes me sad.
  • Options
    Yeah, get what you want!  I ate my beloved Club Lulu through my entire pregnancy last time, and plan to do the same this time as well.
  • Options
    A number 9 with salt and vinegar chips.
  • Options

I think it's better safe than sorry and deli meat is the first thing the CDC lists as not to eat for pregnant people. They do have a veggie sub that is good. And they don't carry sprouts anymore so you don't need to worry about that.

Though...I'm currently NOT happy with Jimmy John's at all. I asked them to wrap my roast beef up separately so that I could heat it in the microwave when I got home and they refused. Turned into a long customer service complaint with no resolution...so I blogged about it. It was the one thing that was going to make me feel better - since they were doing nothing to try - https://nixon-notes.blogspot.com/2012/08/jimmy-johns-hates-unborn-babies.html

• Options
    I didn't worry about deli meat at places that were "busy." I figured if the restaurant had to re-stock often, I was in the clear.. I did get my subs toasted as frequently as possible though, to heat the meat... just to be on the safe side. One BLT isn't going to do damage to your baby... I've never read anywhere that you're not suppose to eat bacon while pregnant.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    I'm eating plenty of bacon and having fish twice a week. I wouldn't worry about those.
  • Options
    imageauroraloo:

Eat whatever you want. The deli meat is fine. You have no greater risk of listeria while pregnant than when you're not. As for nitrates, carrots have more nitrates than deli meat. Also, Jimmy John's meat turns over so quickly, that the meat is fresh enough that listeria isn't a concern

Actually that's not true...

https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/risk.html

OP--I know plenty of pg women eat deli meat their entire pregnancy and never have issues--it's a personal choice.  If you don't feel comfortable risking it, then I would go with all veggie :)

TTC #1 since November 2011
    ** BFP #1 - M/C at 6 weeks 4/13/2012 **
    ** BFP #2 - expecting a little leprechaun!! EDD 3/21/13 | HB 7/30/2012 (6w3d) **
    NT Scan 9/4 - looked great! | Grow, baby, grow!!! | A/S 10/29

***All AL always welcome***
  • Options
    imageauroraloo:
    imageGrangerWifey:
    imageauroraloo:

Wait, carrots have nitrates? This is so bizarre... 

They do. They're natural, but they're in there.

So does that mean it's not good to eat carrots? :( I love them with my hummus

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Now I want JJ's! The veggie is DELIC =)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"