January 2019 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 8/27

Re: Weekly Randoms 8/27

• Options
    Congrats @al_vy !!!

I also forgot my purse Tuesday morning. Luckily I left the house early to go get gas and blood work done so I realized at the gas station...about 15 min from home. I had enough gas to turn around go get my purse then back downtown. What a waste of 30 minutes though!

This has already been the longest week ever. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that's a beautiful ring, @al_vy! Congratulations! 

Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    @al_vy that's beautiful! Congrats! 

@molosmiles amen sister. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @al_vy congrats! What a beautiful ring.
    @leighbrek the last point is the best one hahah
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats @al_vy!! That ring is gorgeous!
  • Options
    @leighbrek love it. I feel like I’m going to get that comment or “so when are you due? Any day now, right?” or “you look like you’re about to pop” sometimes soon and want to cut a bitch.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    @al_vy Congratulations! Beautiful ring! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsDho11 Hahahahahaha that is hilarious!
  • Options
    @al_vy congrats!! Love love love that ring,  hope you get to wear it soon
  • Options
    Guys, talk me out of getting a puppy. Is pregnancy making anyone else want to make crazy impulsive decisions? Background: my 10 year old dog died on Mother's Day this year, and I really miss her and miss having a dog. But I know it's super crazy to get a puppy when I'm about to have 2 kids under 2!

• Options
    @kns1988 ahem, I have a friend (local to us/you) that runs a puppy rescue. :D 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    @ladystout08 Ahh that's the opposite of the advice that I need! Lol when I am ready, I'll get the details. 

• Options
    Haha! It's so hard being friends with her because she specifies in pregnant/new moms and their litters so she always has fresh puppies and I want them all. If it's a good compromise, I know she desperately needs fosters! Get some snuggles for a week or two and then back to normal. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
  • Options
    @ladystout08 @kns1988 I highly recommend fostering! I'm fostering two teeny tiny kittens right now and it's totally satisfying my baby fever.  I totally adore them but at the same time have no desire to keep them which is very surprising to both my husband and myself.  Having them for a few weeks while they're tiny and fun and then sending them off to a loving forever family is the perfect compromise. And if you decide it's not too crazy and you can't live without them I assume you'd have first dibs for adoption!
  • Options
    @kns1988 don't do it!!! SO has been pushing to get a puppy right now to give our dog a "friend" because he's "lonely". We have 2 cats that he adores chasing & I bring him to work every single day. He is so spoiled and the opposite of lonely!

I think the amount of work (training & classes, MOTN potty breaks, etc.) is scary to take on right now. I'm even just worried about fitting my parenting classes in with my schedule as is! Let alone accounting for the world to revolve around a dog-baby right now, and having a crazy dog-toddler by the time baby is here. And that's not to mention the additional finances that come with puppies - vet visits, spay/neuter once it's time, unanticipated puppy incidents (bc everyone knows they're inevitable), training costs, puppy day care, etc. Like multi-hundreds extra a month for a while. :flushed:

(But if you get one you better post pics & take a sniff of puppy breath for me hehe. Oh and +1 to fostering if you need to scratch the itch!)
  • Options
    I have a cold that is kicking my butt right now. I've been sleeping like crap lately and I just want to lay in bed all day.

I'm taking ds to see the Budweiser Clydesdales this afternoon and I'm so darn excited! 
  • Options
    galactickatesgalactickates member
    edited August 2018
    kns1988 said:
    Guys, talk me out of getting a puppy. Is pregnancy making anyone else want to make crazy impulsive decisions? Background: my 10 year old dog died on Mother's Day this year, and I really miss her and miss having a dog. But I know it's super crazy to get a puppy when I'm about to have 2 kids under 2!
    I completely understand trying to fill the void after losing a pet. We were seriously all zombies after Annie our doxie died,  including our other doxie Buster. When we got Lucy she breathed new spunky life into all of us.  Lucy and Buster are best friends. Buster is even happier with Lucy.   But just a note they are SUPER easy to take care of.  They have a dog door and a fenced yard so they pretty much take care of themselves while we're at work.  My H does all the maintenance like brushing teeth, nail clipping and baths though,. I think it totally depends on the breed and how much experience you have. 

ETA I would either do it now and get them trained,  or after baby comes and see if it's something you still want to take on
  • Options
    @kns1988

Not what you want to hear, but we had two dogs, our old princess died last christmas and we felt like our 5 year old dog needed a friend.  We adopted a 7 month old puppy from a rescue in april and then got pregnant right after.

I initially had an "oh shit" moment, but i seriously love our new dog so much and hes already fully trained, and im so glad we have him and that our baby will have dogs to grow up with ♥️

Im a big supporter of adopting young/adult dogs vs fresh puppies... So much easier, and these pups often have a much harder time finsinf homes.  However, make sure you work with a reputable rescue if you go this route. The rescue ive adopted all my dogs from has a wonderful network of breed-experienced fosters, who work with the dogs and they always make sure the dogs find a good fit (meaning if a dog has a history of abuse or shows agression, they would never allow a family with smll children to adopt it)

I say do it! Babies + dogs = ♥️♥️
  • Options
    Ugh. I’m so sad that I have to switch OB’s. I thought I was going to be able to stay but she doesn’t accept my version of Medi Cal. I’ve heard really good things about the one I’m switching to but I really liked my OB. Boo. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kns1988 said:
    I can totally relate since we lost our dog in October. My little guy asks all the time when we can get a new doggy. But I know I’d regret it. My recovery after my last pregnancy was so long it was a good thing my dog was already pretty old and lazy. A puppy would have been going bananas. 

I also work with dogs and i think it helps keep me from running out to get one, because while I see an endless stream of adorable dogs and puppies I also see their frazzled owners trying to wrangle them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you adopt a dog now you could look at rescueing one that is closer to one years old. We have done that twice and zero regrets with them, but we rescued from places that knew their dogs really well and knew if they were good with kids so I would recommend looking for that too. We had a puppy show up on our door step in January and I am thankful she is going to be over a year when the baby comes, dealing with both a puppy and a baby doesn’t seem like an easy task since puppies also have their own schedules.
  • Options
    @kns1988 turning down getting a puppy hard I'm not sure I could do it lol. They are so cute and cuddly, my dogs were also easily potty trained so I feel like that would be done by the time baby got here. But as someone else said you could always adopt an older puppy that already had some training.

My DH is out of town this weekend on a bike ride with his uncle and I was originally supposed to work tonight so my parents planned on keeping DS all night. Well now I don't have to work and my parents are still keeping DS so I have the whole night free! I can't decide if to go hang out with friends or just relax all night....it's a tough decision. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @al_vy CONGRATULATIONS!!! The ring is beautiful!

@kns1988 I would say getting a puppy could be ok...but do you want it trained/obedient? That's the thing that's keeping me from getting a second dog right now. I don't have the energy or time to dedicate to training, and I am not about to get a dog and NOT train it. You know..you could get one from a rescue that's already housetrained :)
    Also, i'll second the fostering idea! We fostered for a few years and it was not only a blast because we got to take in several different kinds/sizes/personalities, and we got to see what breeds we liked
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    My sister is getting married in December and we went dress shopping today. She looked so great in all the dresses! She couldn't pick one, lol. 

I'll be 8 months pregnant and need to find a bridesmaid dress. I found a couple maternity styles online but buying online is scary enough...how soon before the wedding would you guys buy a dress with a growing bump?
  • Options
    @molosmiles that's a tough one! Could you go for a maternity dress that has stretchier fabric? If it has some stretch, you could buy in in October and you'll just keep growing into it. 

• Options
    Our TV policy for DS (16 months old) is that he can watch 1 or 2 episodes of Mr Rogers or Arthur on weekday mornings while I'm getting ready, and he gets a Disney movie occasionally on a weekend morning. I'm letting him watch Shrek right now and he's totally enthralled. I'm positive the whole concept of the movie is over his head, but he's loving it. It's giving me a chance to just chill with coffee and the internet for a while. 

• Options
    It's such a beautiful Sunday morning. It's overcast and damp as hell, but that means all the kids are indoors, no one is out doing yard work... It's just me and my dog hanging out on the deck, eating a muffin and reading a book. Perfect.
  • Options
    @molosmiles I had the same problem!  I’m the MOH in my best friends wedding in November.  She had us order dresses online. I got a style they recommended for maternity, although not one of the actual maternity dresses that had stretchy fabric. They did custom sizing and I ordered it huge with more size in the belly than the chest, and extra length. I ordered with the plan of tailoring right before the wedding. Im hoping I gave it enough room!  It already came, so I’ll just keep trying it on and if it starts to look iffy I could come up with a plan b, but when I say it’s huge I mean it!
  • Options
    I'm watching snaps of all my friends partying and boating this weekend. And I'm sitting over here, pregnant and sick as a dog. Happy Labor Day everyone, lol! 
  • Options
    Went shopping for a dress to wear to a wedding in two weeks. The store was a combo Motherhood Maternity and Pea in a Pod.  They had really cute stuff the last time I was here, but today it seems like most of their dresses are really ugly floral prints. They look like stuff my great grandmother would have worn to bed. 

Also, what's with the obsession with horizontal stripes? 

• Options
    @mrsmang what website did you order it through?

@kns1988 I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do. I found a couple websites that have maternity evening wear and I'll try one of those. Luckily, my sister doesn't care what style of dress and just gave us a basic color scheme so that helps a lot.
  • Options
    mrsmangmrsmang member
    edited September 2018
    @molosmiles we ordered through Azazie. I got the Katelynn style, which was one they recommended for maternity wear. There are also some dedicated maternity styles, but my BFF didn’t love them. Her other bridesmaids also ordered on this site, but a different style with a natural waist which just wasn’t going to work for me. They do have a whole FAQ page about ordering while pregnant. Definitely check it out!
  • Options
    We went to a labor day party and on the way home I thought I had pulled muscles in my back and sides, kept hurting no matter what position i was in.

Nope. Just gas. I guess my intestines are up higher now  :D
  • Options
    @mrsmang oh good! I ordered some samples from that site today. My sister is totally open about dress styles so it's a good and bad thing. Ha. I'll look at the dress you got too.
  • Options
    Because I can't find the "why my pregnant self is crying" thread...

Our dog's nails are getting really long, and need a trim before she hurts herself. We normally use a dremel, but it's broken. She completely loses her shit around nail clippers (the product of a bad experience at the groomers as a puppy).  She's only 45 lbs, but is the strongest, squirmiest dog I've ever known. We've had trips to the vet where the vet and two techs couldn't hold her still enough to safely trim her nails. 

I only managed to cut a little bit off of four nails (with DH holding her) before it got way too risky to try any more. With pregnancy hormones, I may have teared up from frustration that she wasn't cooperating, and may end up hurt because her nails are too long. 

Or maybe the tears were because she accidentally whacked me in the face with her head during her struggles. One of the two.