December 2018 Moms
Options

Fitness check in - 8/14

It's been a while since we've had one of these.  How is exercise going?  What have you been doing?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Fitness check in - 8/14

• Options
    I've slowed down quite a bit in the last few weeks.  I was going to my regular exercise classes, which is mostly yoga but with some higher intensity workouts like boot camp.  The summer session ended last Friday and I don't think I'll sign up for the fall session.  My bump has grown in the past few weeks and it's harder to do certain things.  I've also been taking a lot of trips recently  so it's been hard to be consistent.  I've been trying to go for walks and do videos at home for now.  I'm flailing a little though.  I don't really want to pay for prenatal classes, but having classes to go to really helps me.  Maybe I'll just sign up for the fall classes through my university (which is a good deal) and only go to classes I know I can do pregnant like cycling.  I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    morgantumorgantu member
    edited August 2018
    I'm lucky if i make it to one prenatal yoga class a week. Doing a lot around the house though, so i totally feel active. Once the house selling situation settles down, I predict a lot more walks (hopefully it will cool down a bit as well). I think i can still probably go to regular yoga as well, but i'm also going to cancel my unlimited subscription when the summer session ends. We are going to maine next week and i hope there will be plenty of walking and hiking involved :) 

eta: I've never been a real lover of conventional workouts (gyms, classes other than yoga, running) so walking, hiking, and being generally active are very consistent forms of movement for me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @morgantu True, once it cools down a bit it will be a lot nicer to be outside.  Hopefully that will help!  Have fun in Maine.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I ran Monday and Tuesday. I’d like to do a third day this week too. I enjoy it. It helps me to destress. It’s also my only me time (I do it before picking up the boys).
  • Options
    I’ve been doing alright. I try to go on daily walks with my son but as @echo-charlietango said in another thread, it’s either too hot or storming out! Summer can go away now k thx.

Areas to improve: I need to do more prenatal exercise stuff. I’m planning on getting the Daily Essentials video from Spinning Babies tomorrow. Having something to hit play on every day will hopefully help keep me on track. 

I also need to clean up my eating like whoa. Im a little terrified of my GTT next month but I know there’s not a gosh darned thing I can do to “stave off” gestational diabetes. I just...I treat myself a lot. So if I do have it it will be a wake-up call, at least. Sigh. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    I’ve been slacking. I did go to the track with DH last night and walked a mile and then did some HIIT with walking lunges and step ups and what not. Woof. I figure if I can do a little bit of that a few times a week, in addition to getting to the pool a few times a week, I’ll be good. Running kind of hurts at the moment, so I haven’t been doing that as much. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I did what I thought was an easy 25 minute exercise video yesterday and today I am sore everywhere.  Yikes!  I guess I've been slacking more than I realized.

@PensiveCrayon I'm also terrified I'll get a GD diagnosis and have to stop treating myself.  I just love sugar.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I figure 3x per week is my new norm. Sometimes it turns into 4x per week, but it feels like I always have an appointment or maybe a day off, since it's summer, so those weeks are rare. One of the days is yoga though, so overall it's a pretty light routine.. But I figure at least I am not giving up an being consistent, right?

I just don't want to lose all the muscle I spent years building.. I've basically stopped doing dedicated leg days because I used to lift quite heavy and didn't think I could keep myself from picking up something too heavy for pregnancy. And now when I add squats or lunges between upper body exercises, my legs are so weak that they are giving out! I decided it's time to do more leg stuff again. 

• Options
    I worked out on Monday and Tuesday - a long walk on Monday and strength training on Tuesday. But now the smoke up and down the West coast is really infiltrating my lungs and making me cough/have a sore throat, so I'm just working on resting and drinking plenty of water. Once the smoke clears enough, I hope to get back up to 4x per week of something - which is what I was trying to build back up to!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    As a combo update from yesterday and FYI, if anyone else loves Panera's Green Goddess Cobb salad as much as I do (which I hardly think is possible but maybe someone is out there), the recipe for the dressing is posted on their website. I pickled some onions today and made jar salads for the rest of the week. Obviously not as good as going in person and spending ten bucks on a salad, but a super tasty hack!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @ab_canada I'm with you on the weak legs.  I did body weight squats and lunges yesterday and I can barely walk today.  I'm blaming pregnancy, though I have heard nothing about weak legs as a symptom.  I'm going to try to do body weight leg exercises more regularly and maybe add in some weights if those stop feeling hard.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’ve been feeling good with my workouts- I’m going 3-4x a week usually and doing a variation of crossfit, swimming, and elliptical stuff just based off of how I’m feeling. I’m feeling really discouraged with my weight gain though... I really feel like my progesterone shots are causing me to gain weight- I’m eating healthy and working out hard and the pounds are still coming and it just makes me feel super bummed knowing I can’t control how big I’m gonna get. I’ve never had such a hard time with it before but it’s really getting to me this time :(.

Side note- has anyone tried that workout app called Aactive? They offer a free 30 day trial and have a maternity program on there that actually looks decent that I’m thinking of trying out!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @orangecrush29 - do you mean aaptiv? I have a year-long membership that I started in January. I loved the running workouts, but i didn't realize they have a maternity program!! I'm totally going to try week 24 next week to see how it goes. It looks like it has workouts through trimester 4 (so recovery afterward) and then stroller workouts! Damn, I might be buying another membership next year, too! 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Well now I need to check this out. :lol: I did just download the Spinning Babies Daily Essentials video (not sure if I said that, sorry if I’m being redundant) but haven’t given it a shot yet. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    I got my 3rd run in this week! Yay! I’ve only been at 2/week the last few weeks. 
  • Options
    @Activebaby Wow go you!  I can't imagine running right now with the heat and extra weight.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kadeephd said:
    @Activebaby Wow go you!  I can't imagine running right now with the heat and extra weight.
    I run on a treadmill with a fan on me. I would have zero interest if I had to run outside. It’s  still pretty hot here.
  • Options
    @orangecrush29 - do you mean aaptiv? I have a year-long membership that I started in January. I loved the running workouts, but i didn't realize they have a maternity program!! I'm totally going to try week 24 next week to see how it goes. It looks like it has workouts through trimester 4 (so recovery afterward) and then stroller workouts! Damn, I might be buying another membership next year, too! 
    Haha yes, that’s the one!! Oops :). That’s great you’ve been loving it- I did one of the week 22 workouts today and I totally loved it- it’s so nice having someone talk you through the workout- I’m SO bad at working out by myself in a gym but I need to get better so I think this is a great answer to my problems. I’m definitely impressed so far!
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel like especially while running, it’s so encouraging to have a trainer in your ear, encouraging you the whole way. I also feel like my form is probably better because they check that ever so often. I was going to try a week 23 workout today, but it’s raining this morning. So bummed. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited August 2018
    Oh maybe I should try aaptive too!  I go to classes because I usually am too easy on myself if I just workout without guidance.  Specific prenatal classes seem to be hard to come by and super expensive though.

ETA: I didn't see a space for a referral code when I signed up so I just went ahead and did it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    All you workout mamas what are you all doing for belly support? I haven't run since pregnant but try to walk 3-4 miles before work. May switch to swimming. Stomach felt super heavy today so I feel I need support. Suggestions? TIA!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    mcgeeva said:
    All you workout mamas what are you all doing for belly support? I haven't run since pregnant but try to walk 3-4 miles before work. May switch to swimming. Stomach felt super heavy today so I feel I need support. Suggestions? TIA!
    https://bellybandit.com/products/upsie-belly?variant=51315890630

I just bought this last week and it’s amazing- I’m obsessed. My workouts feel so much better, it takes all the pressure off of my hips/pelvis and I move so much faster. But I also recommend swimming! I try to swim 2x a week and it feels amazing!
  • Options
    Sweet thank you! I have been slacking big time due to work hours but I need to get back into it asap. I felt winded walking today - NO GO

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    mcgeeva said:
    I’m not using anything right now, just a slow pace and consistency. 
  • Options
    Any ab workouts besides planks that are safe? Everything else I can think of is on my back and not approved.  Not to mention leg lifts became difficult around 15 weeks...
  • Options
    @scaredunprepared what about wall sits?

I went to the gym this morning and the AC was broken  :'(
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @scaredunprepared I usually do different moving planks, mountain climbers, hand to forearm and back etc. Also side planks and other oblique exercises.  I think right now it's ok to still do Russians twists and jack knives. 

I haven't been able to go to the gym very much since I go on my lunch break and work has been crazy busy. We did vacation at Mackinaw Island this weekend and biked about 14 miles and did some hiking. I was actually impressed with myself since I haven't biked in years and didn't know if I would be able to keep up with my family 5 months pregnant.
  • Options
    @scaredunprepared Interestingly, the doulas at birth class tonight said that pelvic rocks are a reverse ab workout. (When done correctly, that is. I was treating them more like cat-cows, but when you do it so your butt comes in, sort of like you're twerking on hands and knees, you really can feel it in the ab area. Also they just feel good to do!)

Ate like shyit today because Bub and I went down to Pensacola. So, McDonald's for breakfast, gas station snacks for lunch. I'm definitely feeling it. Bleh.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    3 mile run yesterday followed by 20 minutes of laps in the pool. We were going to go to the high school track tonight for intervals but the weather isn’t going to cooperate, so I’ll have to figure something else out - maybe just a long walk inside at work. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I’m also not using anything for support while running. My biggest issue is honestly the chub rub as my thighs have become a little thicker. I figure in a month or two I’ll have to switch to leggings anyway and hopefully those will help support my big old belly. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I’ve done 0 fitness this weekend. Ive been fighting a gross cold answer strong cough. I took a morning and afternoon nap yesterday and slept all night. My last mtg today doesn’t end until 5, and it’s off my usual campus, so by the time I get to daycare and home it will be too late to work out. Hopefully I can be back at it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies! Mountain climbers are out for me because those are really hard already LOL Russian twist , wall sits, a variety of moving planks, and pelvic rocks are in!
  • Options
    Just want to say thanks for the introduction to Aaptiv.  I got the free trial and have done two of the prenatal workouts so far.  I wish there were more maternity-specific options like pilates or yoga, but I'm sure I can also modify non-maternity workouts.

Pregnancy Ticker