March 2019 Moms

Things I wish I had known...

I saw this on the Feb board and thought it was a great idea, so I wanted to bring it here to March.

So any STM+, what are the things you wish you had known with your first pregnancy/baby? Any important lessons we can share with FTM, (or with STM with post-childbirth amnesia)? 

Re: Things I wish I had known...

• Loading the player...
  • meggyme said: by
    I wish I had known what my milk coming in would be like. I was convinced I had mastitis because I woke up on night 4 drenched in sweat, feeling feverish, and my breasts were so full and painful. Not mastitis, just hormones and milk. I literally slept on a towel for like a week because I was tired of changing the sheets every morning after sweating through them.
    THIS!!! My daughter was in the NICU so I asked to see the lactation consultant only for her to be like "No dummy, that's normal"
  • @mamakate1616 definitely! I asked for them immediately, as well as prune juice and coffee! It was sooooo helpful!
  • Haha, see that's going to be my UO at some point. It could go here, but it doesn't really classify as something I wish I knew. 

Stool softeners aren't necessary. I didn't take one, and the first poop was no big deal. (If it matters, I had a 2nd degree tear and stitches.) I followed the instructions my dad was given when he had hernia surgery. Don't push. If you have to sit there for 45 minutes waiting for it to come out, then you just sit there for 45 minutes. So that's mostly what I did. Some very, very gentle pushes, but just taking my time. It didn't hurt very much, and it was no big deal. And I maybe sat there for 5 minutes. I won't be taking softeners this time either. 
  • I’m on team stool softener. The doctors DID give them to me. (Many, many) I had a third degree tear and I remember telling my husband I was more afraid of the first poop than I was of delivery. (Thank you, epidural.)

I also agree with asking for help. I didn’t know what to ask for, but honestly, if someone could have just held the baby for an hour while I napped/bathed/ate, I could have better enjoyed the first few months with my sweet pop. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • More about postpartum and newborn care. I got so focused on the pregnancy I didn't feel like I prepared myself with breastfeeding or mental prep of no sleep/crying. Also, talking through expectations with DH! He kept saying he never imagined the no sleep/lots of crying part! Haha let's just say we know what to expect this time (as much as you can prepare for a new little personality) and I feel much more confident. 
  • @Runninggal28 That is really good advice. I was so focused on having a natural birth that I never prepared for the possibility of a c-section. I wish I had prepared more for all the possible outcomes, because you’re right, it might not go how you expect. 
  • Ditto @Runninggal28 and @maggiemadeit, it was so hard adjusting to reality after my birth didn’t go to plan.

Even though I was told 1 in 3 women end up with a c section I was sure I would be successful with my unmedicated birth and up until the crash c section it went perfect. It was very traumatic for all of us and I wish I had at least allowed myself to consider the potential so I wouldn’t have felt like a failure when it happened. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @christac1010 also good advice about taking care of yourself!  It can be hard to find your groove or have baby out of your site but I promise you will feel 1000x better if you take time to do something simple like shower, brush your teeth, and eat! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @lovesclimbing I was the one who mentioned my husband didn’t get food. We had a stork dinner the night after I gave birth. He wasn’t fed at any other point during the the three day hospital stay. It’s totally fair they didn’t feed him but it was just something we didn’t think about until it was mentioned during birthing class. He also wasn’t allowed any medication, even ibuprofen, and he had a headache after being up for two days. The nurse recommended he bring some with his snacks this time. Your experience at a birthing center sounds amazing. I got a cold sandwich and jello each meal. I would have killed for a full breakfast afternoon birth! 
  • @lovesclimbing I was the one who mentioned my husband didn’t get food. We had a stork dinner the night after I gave birth. He wasn’t fed at any other point during the the three day hospital stay. It’s totally fair they didn’t feed him but it was just something we didn’t think about until it was mentioned during birthing class. He also wasn’t allowed any medication, even ibuprofen, and he had a headache after being up for two days. The nurse recommended he bring some with his snacks this time. Your experience at a birthing center sounds amazing. I got a cold sandwich and jello each meal. I would have killed for a full breakfast afternoon birth! 
    Yea, for during labor they recommended bringing snacks if not full meals for your partner, haha, and they had a fridge for us to store stuff in. We left much earlier than is typical for hospital births (which is normal for out of hospital births), so we didn't have any other meals there. 
  • swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited August 2018
    I wish I would’ve know more about what is normal and what isn’t normal when starting to attempt breastfeeding.
  • I wish I would have known that the hospital birth class was a complete waste of time and money, I thought it was fine after I finished it, but it did not prepare me at all. The second time (and this time) I took a birth hypnosis class that helped me so much more and gave me things I could actually do to get more comfortable.

I wish I had known that home birth is safer than hospital births. I had thought about it with my first and then decided to do it for my second if my first went alright....well the hospital made more complications then there needed to be and I ended with an “emergency” (unnecessary) c-s with PTSD that causes me to always doubt doctors - 7 years later and it’s still a major issue I am have to work through. I went on to have a much easier birth at home, with Hypnobabies, for my second and planning for the same this time.
  • WkoutMomtoBeWkoutMomtoBe member
    edited August 2018
    EDIT bc I did it wrong....

Wish i knew what to expect down there after having a baby. I actually had little to no pain but I'd pee and not know it. I was walking in my hospital room and noticed pee trail behind me. I had no control. I still have issues 1.5 years later and I'm in pelvic floor therapy. When i started i could not even feel to do a kegel. I shouldve started much sooner bc i had major low back pain too. 

I also got hemorrhoids 5+ days after bc no one stressed stool softener.

Depends were my friend between my leaky bladder and bleeding. I wore diapers for 3 straight weeks. No shame

Also if you think something isn't right, stay on your provider. The nurses brushed it off but i ended up with retained placenta 10 days after his birth. It was very scary...i thought an organ fell out. I had to have an emergency m d and c. I was so confused by all info i was given at discharge.
  • I wish I would have known that the hospital birth class was a complete waste of time and money, I thought it was fine after I finished it, but it did not prepare me at all. The second time (and this time) I took a birth hypnosis class that helped me so much more and gave me things I could actually do to get more comfortable.

We took a private birth class, Birth Bootcamp, and felt confident. It helped us so much and we attribute it to me having an unmedicated 48 hr (3.5 hours of pushing) labor. Hospital classes only teach you what benefits them.  Our class eas 10 weeks, long but so amazing and informative. At pur hodpital tour they thought my husband was a dr bc of his questions. LOL
  • Okay I had a lot written and just lost it all ... soooooo here we go on round 2: 

1. After birth I was offered pain meds by the nurses. I was tired and sore so I accepted it thinking this was common. I later found out it not that common to take strong pain meds after birth most people just take ibuprofen and that’s about it. I developed a HORRIBLE reaction to this medication. I was having night terrors, was very tearful, I couldn’t lay down without feeling like my chest was caving in, I thought I got head lice at the hospital because I felt like bugs were crawling on my head (which lasted for months every time I breastfed). So I tell you this because I have learned to advocate for myself and ask more questions. Next time I won’t take any meds except potentially ibuprofen. I will also be more in tune with my own body and not so concerned with visitors/etc. Your time in the hospital/birthing center/with your midwife at home is your time to ask questions and talk through everything you are feeling. 

2. You do need newborn clothes I feel like everyone continued to tell me we didn’t need them that he wouldn’t be in them long anyways that 0-3 is the same he can wear those. 0-3 is not the same, and babies go through multiple outfits/day (ours was a huge spitter!). We thankfully had my mom pick us up some more NB clothes but yes you do need them. Also I suggest getting the ones with mittens built in the mittens never stayed on my LOs hands. 

3. If you are planning to breastfeed ... You do need sleeping nursing bras. Even if you wait to get some nicer ones for when you go back to work, wear nice clothes, etc. after I had baby I wore nursing tank tops, sweatpants, and my maternity t-shirts with sleeping nursing bras. The sleep ones are very soft and you can easily put pads in them. Your baby will eat every 3 hours or more from the time of the beginning of the last feed. And like someone else mentioned this causes night sweats which makes you want to shower (for me twice a day) which means I was going through 2-3 nursing bras/day. Most of mine came in packs of 2 from target I plan on getting way more this time. Also I would suggest picking up the breastfeeding heating/cooling pads they will be necessary when your milk comes in. 

4. Every time I fed baby in the first week or so after delivery I was RUNNING to the restroom to pee. When they eat it makes your uterus contract on your bladder and when you breastfeed you are very thirsty so your bladder is usually full. I just wish I had known that. In the hospital this was a problem for me because I had DH help me get to the bathroom (due to my horrible med reaction that I was normal). And he had to put baby back in the crib to help me, etc. this next time I’ll be using the nurses more for things like this :) 

• @ashley14598 that’s interesting that you had that reaction. With 3rd degree tearing I definitely needed the heavier meds. In fact, I had to ask my doc for a refill. And if I waited too long to take the next dose I definitely paid for it.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme wow that is interesting! I tore too (I’m not sure to what degree but she sure sewed for awhile) so maybe in hindsight that’s why they offered me more pain killers. But I did talk to the nurse and my midwife about my symptoms of crying excessively in the hospital and she kinda dismissed it as baby blues. I had no reason not to believe her. It wasn’t until I got home and couldn’t lay in my own bed without night terrors (just from closing my eyes) and the other symptoms that I knew something was terribly wrong. I spent my first “night” at home in the ER with my DH and my baby sound asleep in his car seat. 
  • lemieuxk said:
    I wish I had realized that the level of anxiety I was experiencing was not normal and gotten help for my PPA/PPD sooner. 

Also, newborns sleep 20 hours a day but know that 19.5 of them will be on you. The dreams i had of all I would get done during naptime!
    Plus one and lots of hugs for solidarity. I didn’t even realize that what I experienced post partum was PPA until after my SECOND was born. And mine manifested in rage and terrible intrusive thoughts. This time I’ll be on the lookout and get my butt on drugs and into therapy the second anything feels off. 
  • I had a very mild experience with tearing. I had a second degree tear and several stitches. They numbed me with local anesthetic before stitching (a spray anesthetic to numb the shots, and then 4 shots above, on each side and below), and it wore off a few hours later. 

I actually had very little pain until the third day when it got so painful I couldn't sit. I had to lie down or lean on my side. My mom had given me Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm and Bottom Tea. I'd been using the balm, and it felt nice. (The midwives had also given me a spray bottle with witch hazel and whatever in it that seemed to help, too.) I tend to be a little bit skeptical of natural stuff. I use it because I prefer avoiding meds if possible, but I tend to think it can't possibly work as well as meds. Well, I never took meds, so I can't compare, but that tea was like magic!!!! It was basically a large tea bag that you steeped for a few minutes and then put in your underwear. I chilled it in the freezer first. The pain was gone within 45 minutes! It was so amazing! And then the excess liquid from steeping you can use to make "padsicles," which I did. 

I can't swear by that stuff enough! Definitely recommend it to others!

Anyway, so your mileage may vary regarding pain and such with tearing and post birth. 
  • I would've limited the number of visitors to the hospital. I think when I totaled it up, over 60 people came to visit. This time, it's immediate family only (though I doubt there will be as much excitement since it's our second). I hated feeling like I had to entertain people while I had a cath bag of bloody urine hanging off me. 

Also, I would've been more prepared with breastfeeding supplies, like the random stuff you don't think of. My SIL is a lactation consultant and got me the best basket of goodies. Three packs of granola bars (you'll be starving), a 60oz reusable water bottle to stay hydrated, a set of 12 nursing pads (need to be changed multiple times per day in the beginning), and these amazing Medela cooling gel things you put in the fridge for sore nips. 
  • I wish i had known just how unique and different each persons delivery and recovery is. I would stress over how icky i was feeling 2-3 months after and how i bled after for longer than was “okay.” But i had a very traumatic delivery and lost a lot of blood, and as long as youre checking in with your doctor if theres anything of big concern and going to your post partum visits, rest assured that every body recovers differently and it truly does take time. 
  • I wish I had known that things can still go wrong even after all of the testing and 20 week scans come back normal. Abruptions, preterm labor, being told you might lose the baby any day, months of bedrest - its all hard emotionally. Very hard. Any complications are always hard, get support from someone whos been there. In person or online. What else. Well, nothing can prepare you for months and months of colicky baby. You don't want to ask for help because you know the baby just cries, but taking care of a crying baby for a few hours when you know you can give it back is nothing in comparison. Get help, a shower, a nap. Anything. And I also struggled with breastfeeding. Baby weight gain can be up and down. Supply issues are common. I also had plugged ducts every day or two and this was painful and awful. I actually had the most success with lecithin. I'm going to start that next pregnancy before any problems arise. 
  • last14reallast14real member
    edited August 2018
    #1 thing I wish that I would have known with my first baby is about the BLUE Dermoplast spray. The hospital gave it to me with my second baby and it’s amazing! It’s a numbing, cooling, healing soothing spray you can spray on your poor shredded lady bits. Total game changer.
    Pat yourself dry after you rinse with the peribottle cloths are more comfortable then tp if you don’t mine the extra laundry (don’t wash or dry with scented anything)
    The witch hazel pads can sting a little but give them a chance they are soothing and this sounds weird but if I knew I would be sitting for a bit I would tuck a pad between my cheeks just where the hemmroids were for a couple hours. They went away much faster then just wiping with a pad and made me feel less slimy then the cream.
    Lastly to all the stool softener comments MOST Drs prescribe or recommend them if you are on daily pain meds even just the ibprofun 800’s bc those pain meds will back you up! I have an uncle dr, aunt nurse, and sister who is a nurse and they all assured me it’s normal. Plus they work at 2 different hospitals and an emergency room so several different facilities practice, makes me pretty confident that staying on them while on pain meds is fine. And if you have 45 mins to try and poop and don’t want to take pills that’s great but with a newborn and 3 other littles at home I don’t see that as an option for myself. If I did have 45 mins I think I’d take the pills, poop fast, and take a quiet bath instead