November 2018 Moms

High Risk Check-in w/o 8/9

Hey, y'all! This is a check-in for those of us that are high risk. Whether you've known from the beginning or were just told, this a place to get some extra support. High Risk pregnancies bring an added level of stress and fear to an already stressful time, so use this as your safe space. It should go without saying, but I will, a lot of this thread thread will be TW, so there is no need to use them. We've either all been through this or are navigating together. So let's support each other as we navigate the craziness of a high risk pregnancy. 

1. How far along are you? EDD?

2. Why are you high risk? How many weeks were you when you found out?

3. What is your protocol? I.E. extra monitoring, early delivery, etc.

4. How are you? Use this as your rant/rave/screw this whole situation post.

GTKY: What is the one thing you hope to get on your registry more than any other?

Re: High Risk Check-in w/o 8/9

• 1. How far along are you? EDD?
    26+3/ Nov 11th

Preterm labor and delivery with ds, ICP and pre-E. I knew I would be high risk

Monthly labs, extra monitoring, delivery no later than 37 weeks

I'm having anxiety about this week and next. At 26w I was dx'd with ICP with ds, at 27w I was admitted to the hospital and he was almost taken. I just hope if I can make it through these mikeatones relatively unscathed, I will be a bit better. 

GTKY: What is the one thing you hope to get on your registry more than any other? 
    I just want a crib. We never had on with ds because he only slept in his co sleeper or RNP. I'm really hoping this babe does a bit better. 

• 1. How far along are you? EDD?  25+2, EDD 21 November, although I was always expecting to deliver at 38w.

2. Why are you high risk? How many weeks were you when you found out?  I have a mechanical mitral valve and have known from the start that I would be high risk. At 18w I found that I have a large subchorionic hematoma sitting over my cervix and at 20w that the amnion and chorion (the two membranes that make up the amniotic sac) have separated. I also have a single umbilical artery and marginal cord insertion. The mechanical heart valve means that I always need to be taking blood thinners.

3. What is your protocol? I.E. extra monitoring, early delivery, etc.  I have been on extra monitoring from the start, with regular visits with my OB and cardiologist. I keep experiencing moderate to heavy bleeding so am currently in hospital. I have been here for nearly two weeks (I had an earlier admission in July for a few days, got to go home for a weekend, but then ended up back in here after just a couple of days at home). I’m not expecting to leave hospital until baby arrives, unless I manage to get past 28w, and even then they may well keep me here.

4. How are you? Use this as your rant/rave/screw this whole situation post.  Right now I’m feeling surprisingly ok. I have been very up and down, but I’m starting to develop a routine in hospital and I haven’t had any bleeding for a couple of days which has really helped my stress levels. I’m very pleased to have gotten to the 25w mark - when I got to 24w my OB said that tbh he didn’t think at 20w that I would get this far (which I’m kind of grateful he didn’t tell me at the time). Baby girl is still growing super well - she was up to 856g (about 1lb12oz) at my last ultrasound, so everyone is confident that the problems I’m having are not affecting her at all. She looks perfect on all the scans and is big for her gestational age, which is about as good a start as a preemie can get. At the moment we are aiming for 28w but I’m pretty sure if we get there my OB will say “well 30w would be better” and so on. Being in hospital is hard - I don’t really have any control over my life, and what happens to me and when it happens - even small things like taking a shower have to wait until someone is ready to help me. It’s pretty frustrating. I do feel grateful for MH, my family and my friends who have been visiting lots and bringing me news from the outside world, as well as keeping me stocked with meals and snacks so I don’t have to eat hospital food. Also grateful for our healthcare system in NZ - I don’t have to pay for any of my maternity care, and that my work is being incredibly supportive (they keep paying me even though I haven’t actually worked for about 2 months, and just offered to let me use the EAP or reimburse me for using my own counsellor). I am obviously worried about baby and what her being so prem might do to her, but trying not to focus on that.

GTKY: What is the one thing you hope to get on your registry more than any other? I don’t have a registry - that’s not really a thing here. The item I’m splurging on though is the stroller / buggy that I’ve really set my heart on, plus ALL the accessories. Otherwise I’ve bought quite a few things second hand, like a cot, porta-cot, and change table. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @stitchnz I'm so sorry you are in the hospital again. I'm happy to hear you are in good spirits and that baby girl is doing so well. I will say, for whatever reason, that girls tend to do better as preemies than boys. I hope you can hold off as long as possible and that she gets to bake a little longer. ((Hugs)) love and know we are here for you. 
  • 1. How far along are you? EDD?
    25 weeks, EDD 11/23/18
    Mo/Di Twins (found out at 6w 3d), plus one baby has a Pulmonary Stenosis (found out at 20w)
    Appointments with Maternal Fetal every two weeks (for now) and will deliver by 37w (11/2/18). Also, babies will need to have immediate Fetal Echos to determine which baby has the Pulmonary Stenosis so he/she can be transferred to the NICU.  
    Good! Struggling with my own body issues, but otherwise good!
    I'm really hoping someone gets us the Baby Trend Twin Nursery Center or our double stroller. But since I'm a registry creeper and my shower invites just went out, I know that we already got the most ridiculous/cute thing on the registry! Baby Dino Sleepers  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B48RBZ4?colid=3UXWF8LUIFHLK&coliid=IVRLCKX7JGOBP&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_image_link

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @smulrich16 Omgeeee!! Those are the cutest!!
  • @smulrich16 those are sooooo cute! You’ll get some great photos of your babies in them.
  • 1. How far along are you? EDD? 24w6d

2. Why are you high risk? How many weeks were you when you found out? Previous preterm birth (knew from the start of this pregnancy), advanced maternal age, twins! (found out at 8 weeks)

3. What is your protocol? I.E. extra monitoring, early delivery, etc. Extra monitoring - I'll have ultrasounds every 4 weeks. Starting biweekly OB checks. I was cleared by maternal fetal medicine today, so I don't have to see them anymore because babies look great!

4. How are you? Use this as your rant/rave/screw this whole situation post. I had the flu for a week which was AWFUL. Finally feeling better, but now my darling older children aren't sleeping. 

My registry is pretty bare bones since these are babies 3 and 4. I'm honestly hoping for Target gift cards. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @stitchnz oh my, I'm just getting a little caught up on the board discussions I missed while I was away last week and am so sorry to hear you're in the hospital for the foreseeable future, although I am glad to hear your doctors are taking precautions with you and your care. Thinking of you and your baby! Please keep us posted.