April 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY 8/8 - hobbies!

What does everyone like to do in their spare time?  (I know, I know, STMs are laughing at me right now... what is this time thing I speak of...)

Here you go, @MRDCle.  Stolen from another board cause I am also at a loss for ideas :lol:.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GTKY 8/8 - hobbies!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started running this summer, so I'll count that. Reading - I make a "reading resolution" every year instead of a new years resolution. And travel, mostly domestic (state and national parks) these days due to money, but hoping to get international again at some point in the next few years. Plus, dating my husband, especially since we have a kid! Does that last one count as a hobby? 
  • Options
    Walking/hiking/running at the gym, reading, baking, and watching sports for me.  In reality, I spend like, 90% of my awake/not at work time with DS though sooooo watching Octonauts, reading the same book over and over again, being the unwilling victim of water balloons, and walking at a toddler's pace.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @professormama I'm heading to a state park I haven't been to before this weekend. I'm excited to check it out!
    @lyse01 what kind of writing do you do?
  • Options
    @MRDCle I’ve wanted to be a travel writer for years and got sucked into more reliable (less freelance) work for a few years. Now that I live in a tourist destination and know a lot of people working in tourism, I’m trying to polish some pieces for publication. 
  • Options
    @lyse01 that sounds very cool!
  • Options
    @MRDCle every damn day my kid asks to play with water balloons! Every single time I tell him to go play it with his dad. I hate filling water balloons so much. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle every damn day my kid asks to play with water balloons! Every single time I tell him to go play it with his dad. I hate filling water balloons so much. 
    Do you not use Bunch o Ballons?! LIFE.CHANGING. (if your life involves as many water balloons as mine, ha)

https://www.amazon.com/Bunch-Balloons-Zuru-Instant-Water/dp/B00ZPW3U14
  • Options
    professormamaprofessormama member
    edited August 2018
    MRDCle said:
    Do you not use Bunch o Ballons?! LIFE.CHANGING. (if your life involves as many water balloons as mine, ha)

https://www.amazon.com/Bunch-Balloons-Zuru-Instant-Water/dp/B00ZPW3U14
    I know about them, and have used them before. But ugh. Then my yard will be covered in bits of rubber. I'm just unenthusiastic about the entire water balloon institution 
    Edit to add: This makes me sound like a real fun mom, doesn't it? <sarcasm>
  • Options
    Ah that bit is true @professormama. DH is completely overhauling our yard (patio, tree clearing, new electrical, new plumbing) right now so it's a MASSIVE mess anyways so maybe I'm just less concerned with the clean up aspect of it, ha.
  • Options

Mine include going to the gym and I perform in musicals as often as I can :) .

@professormama , I'm right there with you, water balloons are a pain even with the Bunch o Balloons.

• Options
    I should really look into getting a hobby... right now, my "hobbies" include making dinosaur/ animal noises, taking technology away from my son and figuring out what we med at the store for dinner. I should note that the animal and dinosaur noises have to do with my 2 year old and all his animal books
  • Options
    Ah, hobbies, what are those again? Pre-kids I used to paint, read a ton and scrapbook. I basically love anything to do with arts and crafts. But these days that includes wrangling markers away from my kids as they love to draw on each other and hiding the glitter from my fabulous 4 year old DD.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    I love to read, but have a hard time fitting it in with a 2 year old. I also raise chickens which is pretty fun. I like working in my garden and taking naps  :p  
  • Options
    @mdmommymegs I read via the library app on my phone (Libby). My time is when I'm sitting in my son's bedroom putting him to sleep. I usually get in a solid 30 mins - 1hr per night. Highly recommend! 
  • Options
    @jt0707 I make chimp noises :)
  • Options
    Once we learned that the Echo will make animal noise it's just "Alekka - what sound does a ____________ make?" Best one is when he request Beaver noises but it comes out Bieber and Alexa doesn't know either way.
  • Options
    I like to read too! I have a confession, when we go to the library and DS picks a book we've recently read, I put it back and pick out another when he's not looking. I like to get different kids books because I get bored with the same books. However, I read DS the same book every night that I've been reading to him since he was born.

I also sew quilts, baby blankets, burb cloths, and other baby things. The only time I get to sew now though is when I'm making something for a friend who is having a baby. DS loves my sewing machine and tries to play with it so I can only sew when he's sleeping.
  • Options
    gardening! I have a pretty big succulent garden and I’m trying to start some flower beds and some super late pumpkins. I don’t have much free time though between work, family, and school. When I do have a free weekend I’m usually hosting an in home spa day to build clientele before I graduate. So my plants ( other than succulents) usually end up dying from lack of care  :D whoops! 
  • Options
    jt0707jt0707 member
    edited August 2018
    That sounds like a great idea lol @MRDCle
  • Options
    elmich3elmich3 member
    edited August 2018
    If im not wrangling my son I have been trying to read through the Bible. That quiet time with God in the morning is everything! Also, I love playing video games and watching people play on Twitch. I just started trying to bake too so that's been a soothing activity! My family owns a greenhouse so I also enjoy flowers!
  • Options
    @nottodaysatan @elmich3 Which games?! I'm playing a lot of Overwatch (PS4) right now and I'm about to hook up my 360 so I can replay the Dragon Age series.

Also, @nottodaysatan, does your username happen to be a reference to Bianca Del Rio? If not ignore me, lol.

I play video games, love to cook, and I try to do yoga 4-5 times per week. I also love to read but I feel like it's been years since I've had quality uninterrupted, focused brain-time. 

• Options
    I like to read, yoga, kayaking, and cooking. I also love to watch some of my favorite TV shows.
  • Options
    @thurstober I play ffxiv mostly but I love most series out there. Cant say I like OW though sadly, but my friends are obsessed!
    And yes it's in reference to our lord and savior Bianca del Rio lol
  • Options
    I've really gotten into cooking lately... but mostly I clean up a room just slightly faster than my cherubs mess it up again
  • Options
    So many varied interests, I love it!

I feel spoiled, my son plays very well independently, so when I'm not doing dishes or laundry or playing with him, I can (sometimes) actually finish a book or a board game with DH on his days off.  I'm trying to find my motivation to get back into writing also.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname I need to go pay attention to my veggie garden.  It desperately needs a weeding. 
  • Options
    @thurstober I play Overwatch too! I've been getting more into playing H1Z1 as well. Looking forward to playing Detroit becoming human this weekend 
  • Options
    @luckywife10 I sew too!

I'm mostly a quilter although I've got an impressive stash of knits for making clothes someday.... when I've get up the nerve and have time. (Which will be in like 18 years since this is kid number 3.
  • Options
    @nottodaysatan Haha I love it! Bianca Del Rio is probably my favorite queen. Her movie Hurricane Bianca was great too, pure cheese. Drag Race is one of the very few things I don't mind prepaying for on Amazon.

@elmich3 Thanks for mentioning Detroit Becoming Human, my birthday is at the end of the month so I added that to my list. :D Is there anyone in particular you like to play as on Overwatch? I play a lot of Zarya and I've been getting into the revamped Symmetra, the aiming of her new primary fire is a lot like Zarya's.

Has anyone played Horizon: Zero Dawn? I bought it not knowing or expecting much and I was completely blown away. I'm pretty much playing Overwatch and Dragon Age to distract/make myself forget enough to justify a new HZD play through. 

• Options
    @thurstober, I love Horizon.  I haven't had a chance to play it recently (I don't like to play it when my son is awake since it is fairly violent), and I'm annoyed because DH finished it first, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @thurstober i loved hurricane. It's so bad but it's so good! Shes my fave queen too! I think second for me is either ben dela creme or phi phiO'Hare. 
    I loved Horizon. It's such a beautiful and brilliant game. It made me think of skyrim kinda which is another beautiful and endlessly playable game. 
  • Options
    berky84berky84 member
    edited August 2018
    Is binge watching shows on Netflix a hobby? Lol

Iove crafting but these days usually need a specific project to muster up the motivation to do one. DS wears me out.

I have new players in my backyard so my next thing it to learn how to have a home garden. I don't have a green thumb at all so I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm going to try.

@kangstadt
    tell me more about this "independent play" and how do I make my kid do it...

ETA: no idea why it's linking that entire sentence
  • Options
    @berky84, honestly, I don't know, haha.  He's always been able to entertain himself easily.  Although on the flip side of that, when we do play with him or focus completely on him, it generally turns into him between a complete squirrel and I get fed up quickly.  I'm an introvert and I think he realizes when mommy needs space.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I have free time...I liked to go the movies (I try to catch the major blockbusters like Avengers) or play board games (we like Settlers of Catan the best) with DH. I also do counted cross stitch...however, I've been working on the same piece for 2 years now. I pretend that I'm a knitter but I haven't completed a project in ages but don't tell my yarn stash that. I think the hobby I get the most time in is binge watching shows on Netflix, currently rewatching The Office and the new season of Orange is the New Black.
  • Options
    @gollygeeitsamy we LOVE Settlers of Catan, such a fun game even though we rarely have time to play it.

I have started crochet a bit but I'm not very skilled at that yet. Also try to write in a journal at least 3x a week and although I'm not quite the avid reader I used to be (kids seem to suck the time from you) I try to read a book a month if possible. Otherwise my DD takes up almost all my "spare" time.

• Options
    I'm so jealous of all you crafty ladies.  I can never find the patience for something like seweing or crochet.  I started a blank.et like....6 years ago and all the yarn is still in a bag with maybe one row done
  • Options
    booksandlacebooksandlace member
    edited August 2018
    Cooking, reading, going to the beach! Also Netflix
  • Options
    I'm so glad to see some other plant mamas on here, growing things is my life <3
    @mdmommymegs what kind of chickens do you have?! I can't wait to move back out to the country and raise animals again!
    I've recently started refinishing furniture again, I'm not sure it's hobby level yet but I love doing it when I'm not nannying and growing my urban garden!