February 2019 Moms

UO Thursday 7/26

2»

Re: UO Thursday 7/26

• @cmjenkies I think that counts - probably the closest of anyone here! Also agreed, Floyd's Knobs is such an unfortunate name. 
  • I used to hate country. Then I had a really bad breakup and country was the only thing I could listen to because it was the only genre we didn’t listen to together.  :D

that must have been fate because DH is a huge country fan,  it would have never worked if I had met him before guy X.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well this is not quite as UO as I thought! I was wondering if LLR was still popular. They mostly search you out on social media so dropping FB meant I significantly cut my exposure to MLMs 
  • @BourbonBiscuits My DH grew up in Louisville, and we lived there while he was in med school! It's such a fun city!
  • Love country music and Disney (although we have yet to do world). 

Hate LLR and preggers and babysitting dads. 

Im too fucking tired to think of anything great, but I’m not a people person. I like my people, but don’t generally like people. 

Oh oh and I judge people who attachment parent. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• cali1710cali1710 member
    edited July 2018
    Intoo love country and disney. I havwnt been to disney world since I was 10 though. I have no clue what Le la roe is (I’m in canada, maybe its a US thing?) thankfully my husband never said hes babysitting. 

My UO, and this is going to stir some pots for sure. But I hated breastfeeding and don’t plan to do it this round. I had lots of stressful difficulties with DD and would rather not venture that path. She even hated it to be honest. I’m fine and happy raising formula fed children. 

Edit: because I need to clarify. I have absolutely nothing against people breastfeeding or breastfeeding in general. Its just a personal preference. 
  • edited July 2018
    @cali1710 You do what's best for you! If breastfeeding is stressful or traumatic for you, then I'd say that the damage done by it outweighs the benefits, especially in terms of being able to bond with the baby. You are a great mother, whether you decide to breastfeed OR formula feed (or somewhere in between the two). :)

Country music has grown on me since I married DH. His family listens to it nonstop when we vacation at their lake house (they're in Kentucky, so I doubt there are many other stations tbh). So now whenever I hear country music, I think of vacations and boat rides.

Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks came on yesterday as I was driving to work and I was VERY into it.

edit: found a better dancing gif. :D
  • @cali1710 That shouldn’t stir any pots! That is your choice! If that’s the best choice for you and your kids, than that shouldn’t offend anyone. 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited July 2018
    @cali1710 echoing the others, formula is totally fine! I hate it when people become all judgey and holier than thou about pregnancy and raising kids. Not everyone has an easy time breastfeeding. A friend of mine gave up after a few weeks and got criticized pretty heavily by family members, and it made her feel like a total failure. She’s a great mom! Making her feel like crap over something that was already a tough choice is so unnecessary and rude. Way to beat down someone in a voulnerable position.
  • @cali1710 - I’m a formula baby. DD was EBF until we started supplementing at 9 months. DS we had to supplement when I went back to work. You do you, girl. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @cali1710 - Fed is best. Period. 

That being said, I HATED nursing my oldest. Like would sob every time we had to nurse. I finally threw in the towel at 3w and went to formula. I was eventually diagnosed with D-MER which explains my hatred/ uncontrollable physical response to nursing. 

With my second, I wanted to try again. I knew that if nursing didn’t work, that formula was a-ok. I didn’t feel the pressure to succeed like I did with my first and instead, felt an eerie sense of calmness around it. I had a successful nursing experience with my son - we went until 16 months. 

Long story short, not every nursing experience is the same but you get to make the choice. We are lucky to live in a time where formula is available and is a totally fine choice to make. Hugs! 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • You guys are the greatest mamas! 
  • +1 for going to Disney for our honeymoon. I don't regret it one bit. We got to do EVERYTHING we wanted to do with no kids. It was fabulous.

I also formula fed DS after trying and failing miserably with DD. I regret not trying with DS just because we found he had a dairy allergy and had to switch to the super expensive formula. Now that I'm older and more educated, I will for sure try with this baby. My theory, as long as the baby is fed and happy who cares. 
  • allthingsgoallthingsgo member
    edited July 2018
    I totally agree fed is best. Breastfeeding can be really hard (it was for me and DD) and women shouldn’t be shamed for switching to formula for their own sanity and needs. 

I’m hoping breastfeeding will go a lot easier this time but I am not going to kill myself to make it work. 

ETA: I EBF DD for 5 months and then exclusively pumped for 9 months. I HATE exclusively pumping and never want to do it again. 
  • @okayestmom12 @mainemama_ maybe I’m just a grump who doesn’t like other people’s kids lol. I’m dreading the day we have to take our own kids to Disney, mostly because there are so many other children there. UGH
  • @BourbonBiscuits I never realized this until recently when DD started having friends but other peoples kids drive me crazy! I'm currently babysitting my nephew and 2 nieces, which means I have five kids under the age of 4 all day and I'm over it. My kids and I have a routine and they know what I expect from them and other kids just don't get it.. I guess I'm a a grump too haha
  • conchispitaconchispita member
    edited July 2018
    I enjoyed Disney way more when I went as an adult with my roomie than when I went as a teen with my family. 
    I love DD and know she would enjoy it, but I kinda just want to go with DH so we can enjoy it without the toddler tantrums :p
  • @bourbonbiscuits I'm definitely a grump too. One of the reasons we decided on going to an all inclusive was because no children allowed. I wanted to be boning and tipsy the entire time, I didn't  need someone's screaming kid killing my boner or my buzz.

We did take a solo trip to Disney before we had a kid as well, and it was fun, but you won't see me with Disney memorabilia in my house or anything. a woman  I work with has a room in her house completely wallpapered in Mickey Mouse. It weirds me out because they have no kids and go like twice a year. Obsessed.
  • I got married when DD was 5 months and on still the boob. We went to dinner and back home. I want a redo. Lol.
  • We went to Costa Rica for ours and it was basically booze and boning.

I enjoy trolling all the SS/AW threads of all the randos. My job is stressful and it brings me joy.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Here's a UO that I'm actually scared I'll get flamed for. My mom used to routinely leave my brother and me alone in our carseats in the locked car while she ran errands. She never did it for more than maybe five minutes at a time, never did it when it was too hot or cold for that to be comfortable, and I think it was a totally reasonable parenting decision. I'd do it myself with my own kids except society's changed and I'm too scared of being judged. But I don't think it's unsafe, just taboo. 
  • jessier19 said:
    Here's a UO that I'm actually scared I'll get flamed for. My mom used to routinely leave my brother and me alone in our carseats in the locked car while she ran errands. She never did it for more than maybe five minutes at a time, never did it when it was too hot or cold for that to be comfortable, and I think it was a totally reasonable parenting decision. I'd do it myself with my own kids except society's changed and I'm too scared of being judged. But I don't think it's unsafe, just taboo. 
    Same, girl! I remember my dad leaving me in the car solo (only child), locking the doors, and running into the gas station to pay or the liquor store to grab a bottle of wine. Society is very, very different these days but damn there are some days that I wish I could do that too. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I preferred to be left in the car while my mom popped in somewhere. I’d always lay the seat back (because we could sit in the front before 12) and listen to music. I’m almost 6 years older than my sister, so my mom would leave me in charge. I wouldn’t dare do that now solely because of the psychos that would call the cops on me, but that was one of my favorite things when I was a kid. 
  • Yep we were left in the car too. I got yelled at leaving my kids in the car to use an ATM. An ATM 10 feet away from the fucking car where I could see my kids and I was gone maybe a minute. People are crazy these days. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Also, I want to add my two cents about breastfeeding. 

If a first time mom told me she was choosing not to breastfeed I would encourage her to take a class on it and maybe be willing to try it for a week before really making up her mind. It can be a great experience.

However, it can also be hard and every mom should know that she has to do what is best for both her and her baby. Being completely stressed out about BFing is not best for either. 
  • I lovedddd being in the car while my mon ran into stores. When my kids are older Ill probaby do the same to be honest. 

I don’t care if I deprive my husband. Would I like sex too? Heck yes. Do I have the stomach or energy to do it? God no. And he understands. 

@wifemomme  I do agree, and I got help many times. Went to BF clinics many times and it just wasnt working for multiple reasons. I was stressed but thankfully I had a great support system who didnt care if I formula fed which was awesome
  • ageaagea member
    I agree about Disney and summer. Both overrated. We stupidly did a vacation at a Disney resort when our son was 9m and I hated it. To be fair, it wasn’t a World or Land.

UO: I think being a SAHM with my son would cause me far more stress than my stressful job. I love him but he wears me out. I actually think my husband would be the superior SAHP. I’d get FOMO though because that’s just my nature.
  • edited July 2018
    @ssag agreed. My husband stays home with our son during the day, but works as a bartender at night. He's the most amazing SAHD in the world, although it does suck that we work opposite schedules.

Fed is absolutely best. I breastfed when I was home with DS, but my supply dwindled significantly when I went back to work (my old job SUCKEDDDD with pumping support, like illegally so) and we supplemented with formula. It was such a weight off my back, but I definitely plan to try to go longer with this baby. That being said ... We have friends who just had a baby. Mom is struggling with breastfeeding, Dad is a nurse. They aren't supplementing with formula, they're mixing breastmilk with COW'S MILK. The baby is not even 6 weeks old. I genuinely don't care if people choose to never breastfeed for any reason (even if it's one I think is vain, do you girl, not by body not my business), but COW'S MILK?! 

ETA: this is not their first child. Their first child EFF soy formula because she had a reaction to regular formula. They know better.
  • I would make a shit SAHM and if anyone stayed home, it would be DH (he agrees). 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016