December 2018 Moms

Weekday Randoms 7/23-7/27

Re: Weekday Randoms 7/23-7/27

• Would a hospital refuse to give your baby formula if the mother asked for it?

So, if my milk doesn't come in and baby is obviously hungry, I want him to eat. He went from getting food 24/7 by umbilical cord to not eating barely anything? That seems awful IMO. I plan to breastfeed exclusively (if im able), but definitely agree fed is best. 
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @maureenmce My hospital does the same thing and the same meal! I dont remember where you live but are we going to the same hospital?  I live in NYC but will be delivering in CT.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @binxybaby Some hospitals are more “breastfeeding friendly” read: they are pushing it big time. Those hospitals may give you push back about it. A friend of mine went to the same hospital I did and asked for formula at one point and they refused. If you really want it and insist, they will probably give it to you, but you might have to really insist on it. If not, your husband or whoever is with you can always run out to the store and get some. I will say that it IS normal for baby not to get much in the beginning and they do usually drop weight at first. It’s just not so easy to tell in those first days if that’s what’s happening or if there actually is a problem with your supply, and it’s nerve wracking.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @lexidawg Oh how awesome! I'm so psyched for that meal! I'm in LA though, so it must just be a popular menu. :) 
  • @lexidawg Hahahaha...that is the best! 
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @binxybaby Our hospital had the best lactation consultants that were prepared for all scenarios.  They had formula on hand and sent us home with a ton! I would ask if you go an tour the hospital.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• ActivebabyActivebaby member
    edited July 2018
    @maureenmce I love the celebratory dinner. You just had a baby - of course you should celebrate. Or that’s how I think.
    H ordered me a pizza after ds1 (and We had friends there too) and we had a bottle of port. It was awesome. After ds2 we did the same...maybe we ate tacos instead ..but we definitely had the same port. For ds3 I plan to celebrate again! 
    @AGK2015 I’ve never interviewed while pregnant, but I’ve interviewed many who have been pregnant. I wouldn’t hide it, but wouldn’t flaunt it. Professional dress is good. One of those shirts that has the tie part in front usually makes it too ambiguous to really know. I would not bring it up either. It makes it awkward for both sides. I have interviewed all day while needing to pump. There is nothing like hiding in a bathroom or car pumping your boobs. I worked one place that I no longer work at (so thankful) and they couldn’t help me find a place to pump (hr couldn’t help...I should have quit immediately). I was pumping in a bathroom stall and someone heard the loud pump and came to check on me...ugh I had forgotten that memory.
  • @maureenmce I vote yes to the tour thread! I actually just got off the phone with the hospital asking about a tour and they redirected me to the website for a virtual tour because they recommend waiting for a real tour until your 7th month.  I have so many questions! 

The good news is I did get a bit of info from the online tour. Apparently they are not yet a "baby friendly" certified hospital, but are in process of seeking out certification.  They offer a birth ball and birthing bar as options during labor and delivery, and encourage walking and position changes during early labor.  Positions allowed during delivery/pushing include back lying, side lying, upright/on knees holding the back of bed, hands and knees, or squatting on bed with birthing bar.  No birthing tub and no out of bed delivery because they want you hooked up to the monitors for constant monitoring during late labor and delivery to be on the lookout for fetal distress.  They also encourage immediate skin to skin and breastfeeding unless there are complications, and no disruption or visitors the first hour. Baby will be in the room with me unless something goes wrong. 

Questions I still need answered: 

How late is too late to decide I want an epidural? 
    Is the on staff midwife always on call?  This seems unlikely. 
    Can I bring/wear my own gown or must I wear what's offered by the hospital? I've got my eye on this: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Be-Mine-Delivery-Maternity/dp/B07337KTKB/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532467062&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=baby+be+mine+3+in+1+labor+gown
    Do we get lactation consultations immediately and automatically, or only if there is an issue?
    Does the available photographer charge extra or is it included in the hospital stay?
    What classes should we take and when? I'm thinking baby 101, breastfeeding 101, and natural birthing/ delivery and breathing techniques, but want to make sure I keep my options open, especially if my OB suspects complications, need for c- section, or recommends something I'm not expecting.
  • @scaredunprepared good questions to ask. In both my experience the newborn photography was not included in cost. I’m still glad I did it!

I need to learn more about lactation consultants. I never had an appointment with one before/set up any visits - I also didn’t ask. I struggled later with ds2 and making it to 1 year (almost did, but I had to supplement). So now that I have that fear in my head I want all the information. 
  • @scaredunprepared to answer some of your questions, here's my experience.

I got my epidural in the nick of time. I think I was 7/8 cm and by the time it was placed and I was laying down again i was a 9. So there is a limit, but you will most likely have some time to decide.
    Different hospitals have different rules regarding bringing your own gown, so definitely ask. Just remember, it's going to be messy during birth, so I personally wouldn't spend a ton of money (I didn't look at your link, just saying in general) on something pretty that is most likely going to be stained.
    I didn't have to ask for a lactation consultant to visit. They were one of the many people forced upon me during the first couple days when all I wanted to do was sleep. Idk if that's pretty standard or differs a lot between hospitals, but my hospital sends them to all new moms. I'm actually thinking about asking if I can opt out this time since I've been through it once, but idk if they'll let me.
    Our hospitals newborn photographer took pictures free of charge, but then we had to pay for the pictures. It was worth it for us because we now have super early photos of our son, and I hadn't planned on shelling out a ton of money for an actual photographer lol.
    Your class list is pretty good. Only other thing I may suggest is a CPR class if you're not already certified. DH and I didn't do this, but I had just been certified at school through a class, so I knew what to do. I plan to find a class for us to take before this baby is born though, he knows nothing and I'm pretty rusty on everything myself. Of course no one wants to have to utilize the knowledge, but it's so much better knowing than not in case something should ever happen.

Slight TW (choking, good outcome) ***

When my son was just a couple month old we were giving gripe water to see if it helped with his constant spitting up. Well one time I accidentally pressed the bulb on the dropper too quickly and he got too much liquid too fast. He turned blue for a moment, and immediately I knew to turn him upside down over my arm and smack his back. That is something I learned in CPR class, otherwise we probably would have freaked out just a bit more than we already were. So just an example of how it can be good knowledge to have.

DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @morgantu Was one of the videos those guys freeing the whale out of the fishing net? Ah that one got me the other day. Big mess of tears over here :D
  • hkomhkom member
    @morgantu That was me yesterday.  One of the local news stations posted a video/story about a guy who plays the piano for an old, blind elephant and I could not keep it together.  I'm actually tearing up sitting here thinking about it.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @rosebud332 and @kristah2 That is ridiculous that they made you starve for so long! I only was allowed clear liquids immediately after my c-section, but I kept them down, so I was able to eat a cheeseburger and fries about 3 hours post op.

@maureenmce that sounds awesome! My hospital has pretty good food, but definitely no steak and lobster.

@morgantu I’m glad everything seems to be falling into place. Good luck!
  • @katy0990 YAAAAAY!!!!!  I'm so glad! 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @mag1cbeli3ver Going to Target.com to get them right now!!  <3

Every afternoon at work I've been dying for cookies, candy, or ice cream.  I've settled on a keurig coffee mixed with a hot chocolate.  Gives me a boost and isn't quite bad for you as 18 cookies  :D Thank GOD I'm too lazy to drive anywhere.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @mag1cbeli3ver and @scaredunprepared - I posted the hospital tour thread if you guys have any questions or thoughts that didn't get answered here!

Random of the day - has anyone seen the new Godzilla trailer? It actually looks pretty awesome! I'm not generally a monster/action movie kind of gal, but it looks cool!
  • @mag1cbeli3ver Those onesies are awesome, I'll definitely have to buy some...and they're long sleeved, score!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @mag1cbeli3ver and @clbness Just bought the 0-3 online! It says there are only a couple left of that size! A lot of sizes are already sold out  :open_mouth:
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @texas_t Glad you were able to get some! I bought the 3-6 month ones. They are so soft!!
    @clbness These were nice b/c they all come together as a set of 3 for 15 bucks, which I thought was pretty reasonable. And they're adorable, so, yeah!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 33, DH: 41
    Started IF Feb. 2014
    PCOS & MFI (low sperm count and motility)
    3 Femara cycles w/natural intercourse over summer 2014, BFN
    1 Clomid cycle w/natural intercourse Nov. 2014, BFN
    IUI March 2015, BFN
    IUI June 2015, BFN
    IUI Oct. 2015, BFN
    IVF Oct. 2016, fresh transfer, 2 day-3 embryos, BFN; nothing to freeze
    IVF Nov. 2017, fresh transfer, 2 day-5 blasts, BFP; ectopic; 1 blast frozen
    FET March 2018, 1 day-5 blast, BFP!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @texas_t Thanks for the heads up...hopping online now!
    @mag1cbeli3ver That's not bad at all!  When DD was little, I bought her some rock onesies (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, ACDC and The Beatles) from Target and they were all so soft...I loved them!  Target's the bees knees.

• @clbness Our Yellow Submarine shirt from Target is one of my (and DD's) favorite items of clothing. They have the cutest music related onesies and shirts! She also had an AC/DC onesie we loved (her dad insisted, haha.) 
  • @maureenmce Yes, they have the best band shirts/onesies!  Was the ACDC one red with white lettering?  If so, we're twinning!  I've seen some cute Johnny Cash shirts lately that I'll have to snag for LO.  Also, I added this cute set to my cart! https://www.target.com/p/baby-boys--harry-potter-2pc-long-sleeve-t-shirt-and-footed-joggers-with-kangaroo-pocket-set---gray-0-3m/-/A-53557415

• @clbness Yes, it must've been the same onesie! :)

@morgantu Woo!!!! Good luck!
  • @maureenmce eeek thanks! We wrote the offer to expire at 9pm est and haven't heard anything yet- I'm so nervous!! 
  • @mag1cbeli3ver omg I need the HP set!!!! Thanks for posting, hopefully I'm not too late. 

@morgantu good luck! Hopefully you get it.   Our first house just went up on the market today. Mixed feelings!
  • @scaredunprepared I totally understand about the mixed feelings. It will be so hard to leave this house, but the time is coming 
  • @morgantu Good luck!!
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited July 2018
    @morgantu Good luck!

@scaredunprepared  I think the best thing you can do is have an open mind, which it sounds like you do, so no matter what, you are definitely on the right track. To be honest with you, I would call back and schedule the hospital tour now if you want to. They cannot refuse to let you do it and if it will put your mind at ease, who cares if they don’t typically do it until seven months. You and your insurance company will be spending thousands of dollars at that hospital, so I say go for it!  As far as the count, I personally did not want to have a bunch of laundry to wash when I got home, so I wore at the hospital issued gowns (one normally and one backward like a robe) for my whole stay.  To answer your question about lactation consultants,  Mine has at least one on staff for something like 16 hours a day. One of the questions I plan on asking this time though, is how that works with the Christmas holiday. My hospital also has a lactation clinic on site where you can visit the entire time you’re breast-feeding and they will help you and give you supplies. That was a lifesaver for me. I would ask if your hospital does something similar.  As far as the classes, with my son, we took the labor naturally class, the breast-feeding class, and the caring for an infant class, which included information on CPR, but we are not certified.  My husband made fun of the infant care class beforehand, but was shocked by the helpful tidbits they gave us. One of the charts they gave us, I still use with our two-year-old because it shows each milestone by age.