December 2018 Moms

UO Thursday

**June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg

Re: UO Thursday

• kristah2kristah2 member
    edited July 2018
    I'm all for saving money but I find thrift stores gross and I immediately feel like I need a shower after I leave there. Only time I'll ever shop there is looking for a Halloween costume or something. 

ETA: No judgement to people who do shop there. You can often find some great things at great prices (and I have donated a lot of designer and high quality clothes myself). I just can't. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2018
    @AGK2015 Peanut M&Ms are superior, I don't want LO to have screen time either, the second amendment needs changing because this nation is so different from the one that agreed to bearing arms, and Gosling is NOT in my lineup of future ex-husbands (actually, a boyfriend made me watch The Notebook...and I later dumped his ass).

I don't have any UOs locked and loaded today so I'll just share thoughts.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • hkomhkom member
    edited July 2018
    Just here to agree with everything @AGK2015 said.  ESPECIALLY the Nicholas Sparks one.  His stuff is garbage.  Well, my impression is that its garbage.  You couldn't pay me to read one of his books or watch one of the movies, save for the one I've seen (see below) .

@echo-charlietango An ex also made me watch The Notebook! He loooved it because his grandma had Alzheimer's, so I tried to hide my disgust, but I hated it so much.  I also dumped him later (for many,  many things). 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @AGK2015 while the plain ones are not the best, they are far from gross! My DD does not sit long enough to have screen time, BUT she was SOOOOO soothed by the Classical Baby videos on HBO go so from 3 months-9months we would put them on when she was being a twat (which was often).  I think we need changes with gun regulations, but banning guns is not going to get rid of the problems. And Nicholas Sparks sucks.

@kristah2 I get overwhelmed when things are not organized better.  I have a hard time shopping at TJ Maxx or Marshalls because I have to go through the racks and I usually just leave 
  • @AGK2015  I'm with you about the screen time. We just don't. In fact, we don't even own a TV. No judgement for parents that do, though. Different strokes for different folks.

My U/O..... anyone who tries to off-load their job onto you, because they can't be bothered, sucks. Blanket statement. 

• My UO inspired by ones above: Peanut butter is gross...

• Agreed with all of @AGK2015 UOs.

@kristah2 I <3 thrift stores!  I wash everything before I wear it and that is good enough for me.  I feel a lot less guilty buying used stuff than new stuff.  And I am actually more grossed out by sleeping on hotel sheets.  I've seen those investigative reports showing the staff doesn't always change them and put clean ones on!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hkomhkom member
    Some screen time is fine.  I'll definitely let my kids watch a reasonable amount of TV. But I will do everything I can to never let them play with my phone.  I just feel like that's a whole different can of worms. To be fair, my husband has a flip phone and although my phone is a smart phone, it has no games on it and I don't use it to watch videos or anything else like that.  I use it for boring adult stuff like email and maps.  So hopefully the fact that we don't use our phones as toys will keep our kid from learning to view it as an entertainment option. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• hkomhkom member
    @ab_canada I don't think it's gross, but peanut butter is a vastly overrated food.  I take pb&js when I know I'll be doing field work during lunch, which is maybe a few times a year.  And those are more about the jam for me - the peanut butter is just an afterthought (although it must be crunchy. Creamy peanut butter is effing disgusting). Other than that I don't touch it, maybe save for the occasional Reese's cup that finds its way into my possession.  It's just not that good. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• hkomhkom member
    Another UO inspired by my post immediately above.  The best pbj sandwich is one that has spent several hours being jostled around at the bottom of a backpack, especially if its been a little smashed and the jam starts to sog up the bread.  H thinks I'm insane but I'm right. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited July 2018
    @hkom The only thing my kid wants my phone (or dada's phone) for is to look at photos of us. It is actually so sweet. When my husband puts her to bed instead of me, she demands to see photos of me until she falls asleep. My heart. <3

@AGK2015 Yeah, I am totally a "you do you" parent because only you know what works with your family and your kids. Our DD being so high energy and outdoors obsessed, it's a welcome respite. We never have to beg her to put the tablet down, but if it got to that point, we would definitely cut it off. We don't have a tv, but we have been very happy with the tablet, although if we had a more chill daughter I don't think we'd use one much, if at all. I'm curious to see if this LO will be similarly high energy or more mellow (my husband and I adore DD's energy but are ever so slightly hoping for more mellow, lol.)
  • hkomhkom member
    OMG @maureenmce that is so adorable! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @AGK2015 Yes to your opinions today! Plain m&m’s suck, as did The Notebook! No screen time for us (though my kid is not the tornado @maureenmce describes, and I do agree that we will have to find some balance given that the world is VERY digital these days). 

Now my husband wants to give a guest comment, haha. Transcribed: You are so right. We are in Scandinavia right now and I’m pretty sure nobody has been shot since we’ve been here. The same is probably not true for most major cities in the US. But question: is there a way to remove the second amendment without eroding confidence that the remaining items in the Bill of Rights are sacrosanct? 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon. Realistically? Probably not. But that won't keep me from beating the Second Constitutional Convention drum anyway.

And (getting waaaaaaay unpopular here) I'm not sure that redrafting the Bill of Rights would actually be a bad thing.  I think we could use some tweaks to the First Amendment (particularly as it relates to free speech, and with additional clarification on the establishment clause). I don't think anybody gives a lick about the 3rd, I think the 4th should be reworked and strengthened, and the 5th and 6th and maybe even the 7th given serious thought in light of the current benefits and drawbacks of our criminal justice system. The 8th could be more explicit, I don't see anybody going after the 9th, and the 10th... well, I think that's a good topic for a spirited debate. And lord knows there are some extraordinarily important rights (or things that should be rights) that should absolutely be enumerated that currently aren't nearly explicit enough (thinking along the lines of a right to privacy, or even the right to vote). Certainly nobody's going to get everything on their wishlist in a redraft, but we don't live in 1789 anymore, and I think there are ways to make good compromises that reflect the fact that we no longer live in a pre-industrial revolution society dominated exclusively by white men. 
  • @hkom I am deeply skeptical of your judgment given your position on creamy peanut butter... but tell me anyway.  Do you at least do grape jelly, or are you wrong about that, too?
  • @AGK2015 I'm with you on the creamy pb, but booo grape jelly!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hkomhkom member
    edited July 2018
    @AGK2015 I am also correct in that seedless blackberry jam is the best for pbj. And pile that ish on to your generic soft wheat bread.  It should ooze out the edges. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I will grant you that blackberry jam is delicious (seriously, with chocolate gooey butter cake? To. Die. For.), but that is NOT how you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, damnit. It's called peanut butter and JELLY for a reason.
  • hkomhkom member
    edited July 2018
  • @maureenmce That is my dream too!  I would also love to live on a lake and make use of outdoor living space.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AGK2015 You don’t like plain m &m’s?!?!? What about dark chocolate ones?
    @maureenmce I am glad I am not the only one with a super high energy kiddo. People always comment about DS and how he will crash later and I’m always like “nope, he is always like this.”
    @kadeephd I feel like cleaning our 1600 sq ft House is too much work. I cannot imagine cleaning some of these gigantic homes!
  • Team screen time here. Our daughter knew the alphabet at 2 yo, and I credit PBS Kids for a lot of that. They're also always coming to me with weird things like, "How does your body make blood? Oh, wait. I know that. Your bones". We don't have cable, so all they're ever watching is educational, and I just can't get too worked up about it. It's so different than what I watched as a kid (it's seriously a wonder my brain isn't rotten - I grew up on soaps and looney tunes). 

Our current house is about 2200 sqft, and I'd love something with a bit more space. Specifically, I'd love it if the kids had a dedicated room to play in, so that I didn't have to deal with their crap all the time. Having larger bedrooms for them would be nice, too, because they could really use a little more closet space.We're generally pretty good at just purging things when we're done with them/don't use them anymore, so it's not like we have a ton of crap. But ... this baby, for instance. I have no idea where we're going to put the crib in DS's room. It just... isn't going to fit well. It's going to be so awkward until the kid can move to the bottom bunk. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @PensiveCrayon That is a huge retirement home, though it's a bit different if they bought it with the idea of you and your husband and kids moving in.  My parents currently live alone in a mother/daughter house that is five bedrooms, five bathrooms, two kitchens, two dining rooms, etc.  We moved into that house when I was in 8th grade because my dad's father's wife had Alzheimer's and they needed help.  It was still probably more space than we needed at the time, especially since my brother and I were both in college within five years.  All my grandparents are gone now and they are slowly trying to get the house to a place where it can be sold. The taxes alone are crazy on that house.  They just have so much stuff!  My dad's mom, who lived in Florida, also recently passed away and I keep trying to get them to have an estate sale for her stuff (they could really have an estate sale for their current house, but they won't hear it), but my dad wants to fly down there and rent a truck to bring a bunch of it to my brother and his wife in NC.  Part of the reason for doing this is because my grandmother wanted me to have her (very nice) piano, which we don't have room for right now.  My brother reluctantly agreed to keep it until we're ready for it, though he doesn't really want it.  It would be nice to have the piano someday, but I'm also not super attached to it and would be OK if they just sold it.  And my dad is going to pile a bunch of stuff they don't want in that truck for them too.  They really don't need it.  They just moved from MD to NC and they actually ran out of space in their moving truck -- so they have to figure out how to get the rest of their stuff out of their old place before the end of the month.  And my SIL is pregnant and is being induced next week!  It's times like these that I thank my lucky stars we live in 600 square feet.  We legitimately don't have room for extra stuff so it's easy to say no, and we can move relatively easily.

Wow that got long.  I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about stuff.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Re: home sizes
    DH & I are still trying to nail down our ideal size & amenities. Our last house was 3,500sq’ and was *too damn big* but now that we’re in a much smaller house I am dealing with little storage. Luckily we have about 10 years to live in more temporary homes before we decide on retirement city and build. 
    Right now we’re thinking 4/2 (bedroom, kid room, office, guest), with an attached garage, big fat pantry, mostly open concept, no stairs, big yard for big puppers. 
    We’re trying to be minimalists with my art & closet maximalism :grimace:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @katy0990 Nope! Stale chocolate with an exoskeleton is stale chocolate with an exoskeleton, regardless of whether it's dark chocolate or milk chocolate. Pass.

Our house is currently 1150 SF (3 beds, 1 bath), which is as close as it gets to the perfect size for us. We'd love a second bathroom on the main floor, and it would be nice if the kitchen had any cabinet space at all, and when #3 comes along and the kids get a little older, we may feel compelled to build a little addition or move (no objections to kids sharing a bedroom, but the kids' bedrooms are 8x8 and 8x10 with giant radiators and inconveniently placed doors and windows, so fitting two beds might not be feasible), but for now it's awesome. Especially in the summer, we spend most of our time out in the yard anyway; extra space just isn't a need.
  • @AGK2015 our new home is the same size as yours, and kid rooms are the same size, too.  Basically, if we have more than just this one baby, we will likely need to move again.  Still trying to figure out the storage situation, as we have no basement now, and were used to throwing all our crap down there!
  • @AGK2015 We are just going to have to disagree. IMHO dark chocolate makes everything better!
  • Re: big houses discussion

I grew up in Ukraine, so our family of 4 lived in a bachelor pad. Yes, we survived just fine, but it just makes me appreciate my 3 bedroom house so much more! I will do my best not to accumulate too much stuff, even though it will be hard with having the first grandchild on both sides of our family.

Some amusing stories from living in the bachelor pad:
    • When our parents wanted to watch a scary movie on TV ("The Mummy" gave me nightmares, lol), we would have to play in the kitchen. 
    • When us kids wanted to watch something on TV and it was very late or very early, so mom and dad were asleep, we had to sit on the edge of their bed (fold-out couch), plug in headphones into the TV, and (get this!) share the set of headphones so both of us could hear  :D 

• @kadeephd Oh no, they didn’t buy it with us in mind...we’re just planning on moving in :lol: That’s only if all the pieces fall perfectly into place with the seminary stuff, which they’re 95% not likely to. And I can see myself actually being driven batty after a month of living under the same roof as MIL. 

@hkom Psh there’s a team of housekeepers who come to clean the house. #luxury Plus the three bathrooms upstairs are untouched when there are no guests, and I’m pretty sure the basement bathroom is also generally untouched. 

As for our current space, it’s mostly perfect. I would add a play room and dedicated pantry if I could, and maybe one more bedroom for planned baby #3, but like @echo-charlietango, we currently live the transient life and should be out of AL in two years.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • we are currently in about 950sqft, and it's perfect for just the 2 of us. I think we will also be fine with one babe in there, especially before they are mobile. As @kadeephd mentioned, it makes it really easy to say no to extra stuff! We are looking for a  big more room, though. I think 1500-1800 will end up being the right size for us (planning 2 mayyyyyybe 3 kiddos). As it stands now, we don't really have a guest room, which is a bummer because both sets of parents live far away, and can't really visit for a day trip. A new home will have at least 3 bedrooms and some outdoor space, also preferably an eat-in kitchen. Other than that, we'll see that comes up! we are actually looking at a house tomorrow morning. I don't think it's THE ONE, but maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised :)