October 2018 Moms
Options

UO 7/12

I feel like I started last weeks thread yesterday... maybe it's my UO but TIME IS FLYING!!!!! 

Re: UO 7/12

• Options
    I have been in this October group for some time now and hate to ask this so late in the game but what is the UO thread? I tried to find the abbreviation in the read this first page but it isn’t there. 
  • Options
    @jandmnumber1 it's "unpopular opinion"  ;)

A place to safely air your controversial opinions. Although we agree on a lot of stuff anyway haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is going by the time of year our babies are due...... I really don't like pumpkin spice.
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 I can't say I'm sold on the headband bow thing...I feel like it looks weird on babies without a lot of hair. Here's to hoping that my baby takes after me and comes out with a shit ton of hair lol.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    I don't like most nursery rhymes and children's songs. I'm afraid I'm going to be a bad mother and not want to play them! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    baby beluga! (you're welcome to anyone else who's head I just got that stuck in)
    Image result for baby beluga
  • Options
    baby beluga! (you're welcome to anyone else who's head I just got that stuck in)
    Image result for baby beluga
    THATS MY FAVORITE ONE. I sing it to my dog all the time
  • Options
    ?

I don’t even know what you guys are talking about.  I’m going to make a terrible mom. :(
  • Options
    They have lullaby versions of many popular albums by Radiohead, the Beatles, Queen, etc. They are actually very tolerable to listen to. Mostly I just make up my own weird songs to sing to my kid. 
  • Options
    I LOVE Raffi! We did a Raffi themed concert for 1st grade last year! It was so cute! We did Baby Beluga, Rise and Shine, Down By the Bay, Brush Your Teeth and Shake My Sillies Out.

Although, for the record my son never listens to kids music at home. Her listens to Irish Folk/Drinking songs. 
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    headshots for everyone!  ;)
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @nasalot188 - I’m pretty sure in our household, having to wait to pierce my ears until I was 10 was actually about personal hygiene (being responsible enough to clean them properly) and coming of age milestones.  

I really hated the fact that I had to wait until soccer season was over to get them done.  
  • Options
    I love the giant bows and flowers on baby headbands!! Guess that is a definite UO ‘round these parts.

Pro Raffi and all the fun children’s songs and stories. Bill Harley was also a fave growing up.

Pumpkin spice only in coffee or muffins. Keep that ish from getting everywhere!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pumpkin Spice = Eww.

I'm going to have to Google Raffi later. I've heard the name before but I'm not sure.
    Anyone listen to Fred Penner when they were little? I love all those songs! I'll sing "Take me ridin' in my Car Car" over the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" any day!
  • Options
    +1 to waiting to pierce ears. I had mine done when I was older than a toddler but still not old enough to understand cleaning and caring for them and eventually they had to come out. Repierced them when I was older and even now I barely wear earrings.. I have to repiecre both holes on both sides for special events lol 
    I have little cousins that are 4 and one has them and takes very good care of them, makes sure the backs are on, has help cleaning them nightly, ect she can even wear small dangly ones shes very girly and doesn't play rough, the other wants nothing to do with them so she doesn't have them. Shes not ready for them. I think its definitely up to the Individual kid and type of kid they are.
  • Options
    Our little girl rarely had headbands, just seemed like a waste of money.  She was rarely mistaken as a boy.  Did you know they used to do newborn shots in the hospital and if it was a girl they would literally glue a little bow to their head?  It was water soluble but still that's crazy.

Yay Raffi although I don't remember being hooked on his songs as a kid even though I know them now.  We weren't really music people

I love pumpkin spice in general, like muffins etc.

However my UO is I don't drink coffee, not anything coffee flavored either.  Everyone said I'd cave in college, then they said I'd cave when I became a parent.  I'm still under the impression that it smells great but tastes gross.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    I guess my UO is if I had a girl she would have a ton of headbands with bows bigger than her head! I had my ears pierced at 5 months. If I had a daughter she would have her ears pierced at her 6 month appt.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @bntfroggie - I’m with you on the smells great but tastes gross bandwagon.  I enjoy coffee with a lot of milk and sugar, but otherwise?  Water, tea, or almost anything else non-alcoholic.  

My UO is probably that beer is gross- even the way it smells.  
  • Options
    Anti-headband here. Unfortunately MH isn’t and this baby already has some from a cousin.  I am all about hats though - start them with hats young enough and you may not have a fight with summer sun hats and winter toques.  

Yes to pumpkin spice coffees and baked goods - everything else is just gross - MH bought pumpkin spice popcorn last year because he thought I liked everything pumpkin spice - I couldn’t even eat it.

@knottieamusements I missed the Easter bunny discussion... when was it?

+1 to waiting to pierce ears. My mom waited until I asked and I was not nearly old enough to handle it (I think I was 5 or 6). I had a lot of issues with them and they were always infected... the only reason I even wanted them done is because a neighbor told me I was a boy because I didn’t want my ears pierced but my little sister did. Kind of wish my mom had said no to both of us until we were older.

I have seen that for some people, getting baby girls ears pierced is a cultural thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 - I think there was a tanget about it in the Santa Claus discussion:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/90627924#Comment_90627924
  • Options
    +1 to team pumpkin spice is gross. I love fall, and most it's flavors (I probably drink my weight in apple cider when it starts coming local) but I just can't with the pumpkin spice.

+1 to just saying no to kids songs. Lol DS knows old McDonald bc my mom sang it to him, it's their thing. And that damn Baby Shark song bc of DH's uncle. But, if you give him a choice, he will currently choose all things Mike Shinoda, Twenty One Pilots, Papa Roach, Shinedown, Ozzy, Slipknot/Stone Sour and Mushroomhead :joy:

+1 to team headbands! Although I prefer them more proportional to the baby. Like someone else said, it will be cold here when DD comes, so it will mostly be hats.

+1 to waiting on ear piercing. We are big on bodily autonomy. Not to mention I've seen so many people end up with uneven/weirdly spaced earrings from getting them as a child. (I believe I was like 3 when I asked for mine to be done.) She will also go to a parlor, seen to much damage from guns.

@bntfroggie I was one of those babies :joy: I believe my mom said they also used something similar to double sided tape as well.
    Also I would normally join your anti-coffee league (because nope) but pregnancy hase craving it like nothing else! Wtf body... (Although it has to be highly flavored, with creamers etc lol)
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    Pumpkin spice is nasty if it includes pumpkin flavor.  It it is just the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger), I’m all over it.

I hate all the headbands.  But, I’m sure if Blast is a girl, I’ll probably put one on her at somepoint for some reason that I cannot currently fathom.  

We recently started putting headbands on DD because her hair was in her face a lot, and she refuses ponytails but tolerates headbands.  That's it.

image        image

• Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    Kids’ songs drive me crazy too but we LOVE Rockabye Baby. It’s lullaby renditions of songs by artists like Queen, Metallica, Coldplay, Johnny Cash, Iron Maiden, Grateful Dead, The Beatles. My kids are 4 and 2.5 and still beg me to play it. I will admit though that I love Baby Shark. And the songs from Daniel Tiger aren’t terrible and actually work with getting my kids to do things. 

Re: ear piercing. We took DD to get hers done for her 3rd birthday because she had been begging for it for months. We explained that it would hurt and she would have to take care of them. She did surprisingly well with it considering she was only 3. 

I don’t mind big bows and headbands but always preferred the smaller ones for DD. It took her close to 3 years to grow hair that we could do anything so she wore a LOT of headbands. Now that she actually has hair she likes to wear her hair in pigtails. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I thought I couldn't tolerate kids' songs (though they were definitely a part of my childhood), but the toddlers that I watch light up when I play them. They don't react at all to classical music or any other variation of "grown up" music, unless it's Celine Dion singing "Beauty and the Beast." They looooove Celine singing about tale being old as time.

I also super love headbands and have a whole collection for newborn portraits. I felt like I needed to get some new ones so my kiddo is more special than the other babies I photograph, though, and I just opened the box last night and bawled my little eyes out. Also I got a fox hat, because we've decided to call her a baby fox somehow.
  • Options
    Raffi!! What ever happened to him??? 
  • Options
    I’m pro ear piercing only because I’m glad I was young enough for mine that I had no clue what was happening and don’t remember it. Otherwise I’d probably have chickened out.

Pro bows and headbands too.

Always think I’m pro-pumpkin spice lattes (it sounds so good) and then when I try it find out I’m not a fan. I do like other pumpkin flavored things.